IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags telepathy , telepathy test

Old 3rd December 2016, 06:44 PM   #361
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Ellard View Post
Michel H. I have good news for you. Greyhound racing is common in Belgium. There is a greyhound course near you.

As you can command dogs to "stop barking" you can simply go down to the track and command the dogs to not leave the starting gates. when the gates open and video this for us.

Once you have done this and presented a video of dogs not leaving the starting gates.......we can go the next step. If you can't do this.......well that ends your entire claim in one swoop.
That's not going to work. At some level, Michel H realises how his claims are utter bunk. He wont go anywhere near an actual test of his claims. He will jump through any number of hoops to avoid letting go of his odd belief. I suppose it's a form of security blanket.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 02:28 PM   #362
TheSapient
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
That's not going to work. At some level, Michel H realises how his claims are utter bunk. He wont go anywhere near an actual test of his claims. He will jump through any number of hoops to avoid letting go of his odd belief. I suppose it's a form of security blanket.
From what I can tell, he isn't doing these "tests" to actually demonstrate he has telepathy. He is doing them because he hopes that good results will quiet the disturbing voices in his head. I think he fears what the clear results of a quality test would mean.

I don't say this to make fun of him or his mental illness. While I admit his "logic" can really annoy me, I do feel bad for him and wish he would accept the help that professionals and loved ones have tried to give him.
TheSapient is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 09:48 AM   #363
Michel H
Banned

A simple telepathy test: which number did I write?

I recently wrote and circled one of the ten numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 on my paper.

I ask you to write it here (if you think you might know it).

Thank you for participating.

Note: A SHA-512 hash of a complicated sentence containing the selected number is:
D612368B32B23789D99BCEB8A25406415D423092779B7219FA 04B0B40BCF01A09A2CB38DF57C243F4DE009987A7FB73798ED 896AEA87CFBC75BF6DF2F0121F1F

This hash was generated here:
http://www.convertstring.com/Hash/SHA512.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 10:36 AM   #364
Donn
Philosopher

Is there an echo in here?
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 11:05 AM   #365
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by Donn View Post
As far as I am concerned, I am following this thread very carefully.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 11:28 AM   #366
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
I don't fully understand why people keep responding to Michael's tests, whether seriously or in jest, unless they are new to his posts.

Michael will never accept any argument showing he is not truly telepathic. He's made up his mind. (It is curious, because the fact he keeps posting his "tests" shows there is still some doubt somewhere in him, but that doubt has never really been apparent beyond the interminable posting of his decidedly unscientific "tests".)

Joking or sarcastic responses are useless, because Michael will either not get the joke or sarcasm, or will explain it away and figure out a convoluted way in which the response actually supports his own foregone conclusions.

Urging Michael to seek medical help to try to solve his problems would seem to be an adequate approach, but unfortunately Michael has continually rejected such suggestions.

So I continue to think ignoring the "tests" is probably best. I urge everyone to seriously consider this as the best approach.
Reposted for it's renewed applicability.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 12:10 PM   #367
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Originally Posted by AdMan View Post
... I continue to think ignoring the "tests" is probably best. I urge everyone to seriously consider this as the best approach.
Reposted for it's renewed applicability.
Are you really sure that ignoring (simple) scientific experiments is the most honest approach, P.J. Denyer?
Don't you think Daylightstar's post:
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
I am hearing Michel H's thoughts. All of them.
does at least create a doubt?
Old 16th December 2016, 01:06 PM   #368
fagin
Philosopher

Edited because AdMan is right.

Last edited by fagin; 16th December 2016 at 01:08 PM.
fagin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 01:23 PM   #369
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Michel H View Post
Are you really sure that ignoring (simple) scientific experiments is the most honest approach, P.J. Denyer?
Here we are yet again. You have proposed no "scientific experiment". Give it up. Nobody hears your thoughts.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 01:36 PM   #370
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by fagin View Post
Edited because AdMan is right.
I would have liked to see the first version of your post.
Old 16th December 2016, 02:06 PM   #371
jond
Illuminator

It helps to read the whole quote rather than cherry pick. I am certain from reading Daylightstar's quote that he was being sarcastic. And so are you, Michel. You won't fool anyone here with your insistence that this quote was serious.

Quote:

As per usual, he has externally expressed thoughts and private thoughts.
The private thoughts, which to me are as clear as the externally expressed thoughts make it crystal clear that his whole schtick about his mother is almost entirely untrue, apart from the urging to take medication.

Michel H, I can literally hear the cognitive dissonance grind in your mind.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 02:20 PM   #372
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by jond View Post
It helps to read the whole quote rather than cherry pick. I am certain from reading Daylightstar's quote that he was being sarcastic. And so are you, Michel. You won't fool anyone here with your insistence that this quote was serious.
He said he could "hear the cognitive dissonance grind in my mind". I objectively detect no sarcasm in that post, although I do detect some aggressivity in it. Obviously, if you demand the "perfect post", you may have to wait for a very long time.

Last edited by Michel H; 16th December 2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 16th December 2016, 02:23 PM   #373
jond
Illuminator

He said he could "hear the cognitive dissonance grind in my mind". I objectively detect no sarcasm in that post, although I do detect some aggressivity in it. Obviously, if you demand the "perfect post", you may have to wait for a very long time.
And what else did he say?
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2016, 02:49 PM   #374
Michel H
Banned

And what else did he say?
You can read it, like any one else. He said that something I posted about my mother was "almost entirely untrue", and I find this aggressive. But this does not remove the fact that he said:
Quote:

As per usual, he has externally expressed thoughts and private thoughts.
The private thoughts, which to me are as clear as the externally expressed thoughts make it crystal clear that ...

Michel H, I can literally hear the cognitive dissonance grind in your mind.
You might also want to read the beginning of this post: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post10276284
Old 16th December 2016, 03:20 PM   #375
jond
Illuminator

You can read it, like any one else. He said that something I posted about my mother was "almost entirely untrue", and I find this aggressive. But this does not remove the fact that he said:

You might also want to read the beginning of this post: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...4#post10276284
Was Daylightstar correct about your mother or not?
Old 16th December 2016, 03:48 PM   #376
Michel H
Banned

Was Daylightstar correct about your mother or not?
No, he wasn't, but this does not remove the fact that he said:
Quote:
The fact that he said something incorrect about my mother does, however, reduce his credibility. This is why it is better to use several sources, and to look at the problem from different angles. For example, what "im" said on Yahoo Answers: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3134559AAR70yj is of interest as well.

What deilorsux said (in French) was interesting too: https://qc.answers.yahoo.com/questio...2075757AAog8oU

Last edited by Michel H; 16th December 2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 16th December 2016, 07:03 PM   #377
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Your post-hoc assignation of arbitrary weightings to ensure that results are biased to suit your preconceptions means that none of these 'experiments' help anyone, least of all you.
No, the fact that you're oblivious to sarcasm that is glaringly obvious to every other participant in this thread and has been repeatedly pointed out.

Sorry, but NO ONE HERE HEARS YOUR THOUGHTS. Being blunt, sarcasm doesn't register with you and humouring you is unhelpful and does you no favours. Extending this farce is pointless and and not helping you.
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 09:26 AM   #378
jond
Illuminator

No, he wasn't, but this does not remove the fact that he said:

The fact that he said something incorrect about my mother does, however, reduce his credibility. This is why it is better to use several sources, and to look at the problem from different angles. For example, what "im" said on Yahoo Answers: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...3134559AAR70yj is of interest as well.

What deilorsux said (in French) was interesting too: https://qc.answers.yahoo.com/questio...2075757AAog8oU
If he was incorrect about your mother means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts. Period. Nothing more needs to be discussed.
Old 17th December 2016, 03:13 PM   #379
Michel H
Banned

If he was incorrect about your mother means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts. Period. Nothing more needs to be discussed.
I think that you should be a little more nuanced.

Your sentence: "If he was incorrect about your mother means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts." is grammatically incorrect, a more (grammatically) correct sentence would be: "If he was incorrect about your mother, this means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts."

Does this means you are necessarily completely wrong about any subject you might talk about? No, I don't think so, it sounds too extreme.
Old 17th December 2016, 06:09 PM   #380
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Your sentence: "If he was incorrect about your mother means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts." is grammatically incorrect, a more (grammatically) correct sentence would be: "If he was incorrect about your mother, this means he wasn't really hearing your thoughts."

Does this means you are necessarily completely wrong about any subject you might talk about? No, I don't think so, it sounds too extreme.
You think your really strange claim that we all hear your thoughts and then lie about it for no reason is not more extreme?

Really?

Old 17th December 2016, 08:44 PM   #381
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

As far as I am concerned, I am following this thread very carefully.
Why do you refuse to perform the simple Greyhound test? Set out your exact reasoning.

Currently there is not an iota of evidence that anything, you claim happens, actually happens. In fact, you seem to be going out of your way to avoid any basic objective test, on purpose.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 09:39 PM   #382
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You think your really strange claim that we all hear your thoughts and then lie about it for no reason is not more extreme?

Really?
A statement like "Mr. X is telepathically broadcasting his thoughts to many human beings worldwide" does certainly have a very low a priori probability of being true, but there is (in my opinion) a lot of evidence which actually supports this statement ("X" being me), the statements by Daylightstar, "im" and deilorsux I have cited recently are examples of such evidence (there is more, however).

Regarding the lack of acceptance and recognition of this curious apparent phenomenon, I find it less surprising. It seems hard to accept to many people that I am "telepathic", while they are not. There may be some ego problems. It is curious that, when skeptics attack my work, they generally seem convinced that if "such a phenomenon were true", it would be easily accepted and recognized. But this shows a grave neglect of human psychology, in my opinion.
Old 17th December 2016, 09:50 PM   #383
Michel H
Banned

Why do you refuse to perform the simple Greyhound test? Set out your exact reasoning.
I think that your Greyhound test is very bad and unrealistic. Dogs generally don't obey me (particularly, to do things that annoy them, and could cause them trouble), they react, which is very different. The same thing is true for me when I answer to your posts: I react, but I don't obey.
Old 17th December 2016, 10:22 PM   #384
Matthew Ellard
Illuminator

"Easy to verify with dogs"
Originally Posted by Michel H, two weeks ago
I have already tried to explain on this forum how I seem to be able to communicate telepathically with animals (cats, dogs, birds) near my building, And this phenomenon is very easy to verify: for example, when a dog is barking, I talk to him/her from inside my apartment with a weak voice (so he/she cannot hear me normally, sensorially), and I study whether there is a reaction, a change (often there is).
"Impossible to verify with dogs"
Originally Posted by Michel H, today
I think that your Greyhound test is very bad and unrealistic. Dogs generally don't obey me (particularly, to do things that annoy them, and could cause them trouble), they react, which is very different. The same thing is true for me when I answer to your posts: I react, but I don't obey.
You are now changing you mind, week to week and obviously, are changing your story to avoid any proper test at all.

I suggest you stop posting until you can work out what you are actually claiming.
Matthew Ellard is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th December 2016, 11:59 PM   #385
Michel H
Banned

I suggest you stop posting until you can work out what you are actually claiming.
My claim is that I have a tendency to telepathically and involuntarily communicate my thoughts to other people and to animals. This phenomenon does not seem to be limited geographically (though I have no evidence for long-distance telepathy involving animals).
Originally Posted by Daylightstar View Post
I am hearing Michel H's thoughts. ...
Originally Posted by The Moog View Post
... I too am hearing Michel H's thoughts...
A five-year-old who can read would probably understand the meaning of the two quotes above.
Old 18th December 2016, 12:50 AM   #386
Michel H
Banned

Results of the test

I recently wrote and circled one of the ten numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 on my paper.

Note: A SHA-512 hash of a complicated sentence containing the selected number is:
D612368B32B23789D99BCEB8A25406415D423092779B7219FA 04B0B40BCF01A09A2CB38DF57C243F4DE009987A7FB73798ED 896AEA87CFBC75BF6DF2F0121F1F

Thank you for your attention.

The number I wrote was a "2". And the complicated sentence I used to generate the SHA-512 hash posted above was:
The number is 2, two ... ç,xà!§é.

No number was given in this test. However, P.J. Denyer posted
... and and not helping you.
(notice the the two words "and")
Donn had posted:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
It seems to me (though others will perhaps dispute this) that an echo is somewhat related to number two because, when an echo takes place, you have the incident wave, and then the reflected wave.
So, the correct number seems to have been suggested twice. Something similar happened on Yahoo Answers, for the same test (in French): https://fr.answers.yahoo.com/questio...6153219AAbdyoG .
Old 18th December 2016, 03:58 AM   #387
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

My claim is that I have a tendency to telepathically and involuntarily communicate my thoughts to other people and to animals. This phenomenon does not seem to be limited geographically (though I have no evidence for long-distance telepathy involving animals).
Is it easy or impossible? You have claimed both.

A five-year-old who can read would probably understand the meaning of the two quotes above.
Yes, because even five year olds understand sarcasm. You don't.

Old 18th December 2016, 04:04 AM   #388
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

The number I wrote was a "2". And the complicated sentence I used to generate the SHA-512 hash posted above was:

Donn had posted:

It seems to me (though others will perhaps dispute this) that an echo is somewhat related to number two because, when an echo takes place, you have the incident wave, and then the reflected wave.
So, the correct number seems to have been suggested twice. Something similar happened on Yahoo Answers, for the same test (in French): https://fr.answers.yahoo.com/questio...6153219AAbdyoG .
Wow. Is there any straw so flimsy that you will not clutch at it?

Old 18th December 2016, 08:42 AM   #389
sackett
Philosopher

Michel H, I can't hear your thoughts, but I'll lie about them if you want. Just give me the word.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 09:14 AM   #390
Marcus
Illuminator

Surely you see the big problem with this test, other than us being unable to verify the results. You would need hundreds of responses to produce anything of statistical significance.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 10:24 AM   #391
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Donn had posted:

Good grief you write some utter rubbish. I did NOT choose the number two.

Perhaps you missed this bit-: "NO ONE HERE HEARS YOUR THOUGHTS".
Old 18th December 2016, 11:38 AM   #392
Donn
Philosopher

Ha ha.

See, I laughed twice!

Ha. Ha. Ha. Haaa. Haaaaaa. Aaaaah!
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 01:41 PM   #393
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Actually, I can read Michel's thoughts. He is thinking right at the moment about his next ISF test. And it will be just as silly as all his previous failures.

I can also predict the future. Michel will post another test about the same time as Groundhog Day.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 01:47 PM   #394
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Actually, I can read Michel's thoughts. He is thinking right at the moment about his next ISF test. And it will be just as silly as all his previous failures.

I can also predict the future. Michel will post another test about the same time as Groundhog Day.

Norm

Nice one. Seriously, have you not bothered reading the thread?

Expect to get quoted as unqualified support for Michel's ridiculous belief that everyone can read his thoughts. Congratulations on supporting his delusions.
Old 18th December 2016, 04:23 PM   #395
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Oh, but look at this Michel. You made a small grammatical slip too. Does this indicate that your claims may also be discounted?

I put it to you that you seize upon such small things as spelling mistakes when you need a reason, however irrelevant or trivial, to overlook discomforting points that people make.

I know that you are fully convinced that you broadcast your thoughts but I'm also sure that you are intelligent enough to recognise that there is no logical reasoning which has led you to this belief. Rather it became a belief first and foremost, for which you have since sought confirmation.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 18th December 2016 at 04:25 PM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 04:34 PM   #396
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by fromdownunder View Post
Actually, I can read Michel's thoughts...
As P.J.Denyer already said, it's really not a good idea to express yourself in this form. Even if you think it obvious that you only mean that you think what Michel is thinking is easily predictable, he will quote you as if you meant this literally.

<edit to add> For the benefit of Michel, when P.J.Denyer said "Nice one", that was an example of sarcasm.

Last edited by Jack by the hedge; 18th December 2016 at 04:37 PM.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 05:48 PM   #397
Michel H
Banned

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Oh, but look at this Michel. You made a small grammatical slip too. ...
Yes, that's right, I should have written "Does this mean?" instead of "Does this means".
Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
... Does this indicate that your claims may also be discounted? ...
No, not necessarily, that's the point I was making when I was replying to jond. You seem to have curiously reversed my reasoning, with your patronizing tone.
Originally Posted by a forum member View Post
I'm increasingly eager to see Michel's analysis ... I'm sure it will be illuminating.
Old 18th December 2016, 06:11 PM   #398
fromdownunder
Philosopher

Nice one. Seriously, have you not bothered reading the thread?

Expect to get quoted as unqualified support for Michel's ridiculous belief that everyone can read his thoughts. Congratulations on supporting his delusions.
To be perfectly honest, I don't give a damn any more. Michel will continue to think what he thinks and analyse any response in any way to support his belief.

I mean ANY response, as shown by his analysis of his latest "poll". For another example, your first sentence contained two words. Therefore he got to you and you heard the word "two" coming out of the ether.

Hell, he even claimed I heard his thoughts at one point because I named a completely different country that contained the letters an.

The best response is not to respond at all, and I stopped for a while, but many others did not, so who gives a ****, and if he does try to selectively quote me, as he has in the past, I will immediately follow with the full quote.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 06:38 PM   #399
p0lka
Illuminator

I suggest you go with 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, instead,
the numbers you presented are not the same as each other as there is one number that has two digits whilst the rest have one digit.
Happy to help
Merry christmas.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2016, 07:12 PM   #400
John Jones
Penultimate Amazing

And any mentally healthy adult would recognize the sarcasm.

:facepalm:

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal