IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Democratic primaries , iowa caucus , political predictions , political speculation , presidential candidates

Old 4th February 2020, 10:12 PM   #161
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

(Also, we don't know that she hasn't been paying attention... to issues & policies.)
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 10:37 PM   #162
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Maybe this FUBAR will make some counties work harder to make sure that the actual elections run smoothly.
Old 4th February 2020, 10:45 PM   #163
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I have no idea. Having been involved in caucus held in my state, I know that isn't how they worked in Washington. The caucuses elected delegates to attend the state convention and the delegates at the State convention decided the allotment of delegates to the National convention. Horse trading can and does take place. I don't like the primary system. I'd rather return to caucuses in all the states.
Wow. I think the primaries serve a purpose (to see if the candidates can actually get people to vote for them), but I am 100% in agreement that the primary process should inform the convention, but not rule it. Still, never going to happen.

But like D4m10n, I am curious how this reconciles with your other beliefs on the electoral college and the Senate.

Last edited by Brainster; 4th February 2020 at 10:49 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 05:12 AM   #164
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
I don't know by but my wife is currently applying for a job as a one. Seems to be what software companies call client managers.
Just another pointless bit of euphemism, I guess.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 5th February 2020 at 05:19 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 05:14 AM   #165
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
Democrats face-plant on impeachment, then immediately pivot to a face-plant on counting their own caucus votes due to "coding problems". LOL.
Yeah when the Jury is bought and paid for, I guess you could say that the prosecution fell flat on their face.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 05:17 AM   #166
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It is?!?!?!

Holy **** !!!

Now I totally hate it and/or love it, depending on how you need me to react, in order to satisfy whatever need prompted you to post this inanity.

I hope this helps. Have a nice day!
Translation: "****, got caught. Try to blame it on the guy who caught me!"

Old 5th February 2020, 07:17 AM   #167
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I think it's pretty apparent in my last point post. But I'll repeat it: Iowa Republicans also use the caucus. Why you think there is more than just that, I have no idea.
It seemed important enough for you to post it. What was the importance?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 07:20 AM   #168
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Translation: "****, got caught. Try to blame it on the guy who caught me!"
Caught? What do you imagine is going on here?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 07:24 AM   #169
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We can perch upon our moral and political mountains and argue from them all day, but nothing will change the fact that a system, regardless of its qualities, where a tipping point of people aren't happy with how the decision is reached is only slightly better at best then a system where a tipping point of people aren't happy with the decision being reached.

A smoke and mirrors act that gets the "right" answer isn't ideal.
Old 5th February 2020, 07:39 AM   #170
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
We can perch upon our moral and political mountains and argue from them all day, but nothing will change the fact that a system, regardless of its qualities, where a tipping point of people aren't happy with how the decision is reached is only slightly better at best then a system where a tipping point of people aren't happy with the decision being reached.

A smoke and mirrors act that gets the "right" answer isn't ideal.
Call it the Martin Gardner in me, but there is no single "best" way to determine the winner in a multi-candidate runnoff.

You define the terms ahead of time and then live with the results. That's what has been done.

The only actual issue in this case is that the results have not been reported fast enough to satisfy the 24 cable news channels. It's true, the results have not been reported in a timely fashion. That's only as much of a problem as you make it.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 08:02 AM   #171
Belz...
Fiend God

Caught? What do you imagine is going on here?
Oh, I think it's quite evident.

Old 5th February 2020, 08:39 AM   #172
C_Felix
Master Poster

New Hampshire state law requires that its primary must be the first in the nation.

I've been AWOL.

I'm just jumping into this thread now, so if this has been discussed, I'm sorry.

Iowa state law requires that the caucuses take place at least eight days before any other nominating contest.

New Hampshire state law requires that its primary must be the first in the nation.

What if Ohio were to pass a law requiring that its primary must be the first in the nation.
Or North Carolina?
Or Texas?

From my basic knowledge of things, can't Ohio pass a law requiring it to be first and then tell NH to take its "we're first" law and to cram it because NH laws can't influence how Ohio works, right?

It might be tradition, but tradition is peer pressure exuded on you by dead people.

Last edited by C_Felix; 5th February 2020 at 08:43 AM.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 09:14 AM   #173
Belz...
Fiend God

How can a state pass a law requiring other states to do something?

Old 5th February 2020, 09:16 AM   #174
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I think it's quite evident.
This kind of thing is exactly what leads to a three-page slapfight about who said what and what they meant and how much accurate language matters. Why not just say what you mean in plain language, and avoid all that.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:22 AM   #175
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

//misread something and my reply made no sense//
Old 5th February 2020, 09:25 AM   #176
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

How can a state pass a law requiring other states to do something?
The law requires that if some other state moves up their primary date, the government of New Hampshire is required to move theirs up to be earlier. It doesn't prescribe actions for other states. It prescribes responses to actions for the state of New Hampshire.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:46 AM   #177
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
(Also, we don't know that she hasn't been paying attention... to issues & policies.)
Equal rights for LGBT folks isn't an issue?

Overturning Obergefell v. Hodges isn't a policy?
Old 5th February 2020, 09:46 AM   #178
C_Felix
Master Poster

The law requires that if some other state moves up their primary date, the government of New Hampshire is required to move theirs up to be earlier. It doesn't prescribe actions for other states. It prescribes responses to actions for the state of New Hampshire.
So, a pissing match can ensue?
If Indiana moves their primary to the last Thursday in January...then NH must move theirs?
Old 5th February 2020, 09:48 AM   #179
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
If Indiana moves their primary to the last Thursday in January...then NH must move theirs?
No eventually one state would just hit the brick wall that there is only so far back you can move something before you reverse lap yourself and wind up in the previous election cycle at which point the whole stupid thing would collapse.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:56 AM   #180
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

I've been AWOL.

I'm just jumping into this thread now, so if this has been discussed, I'm sorry.

Iowa state law requires that the caucuses take place at least eight days before any other nominating contest.

What if Ohio were to pass a law requiring that its primary must be the first in the nation.
Or North Carolina?
Or Texas?

From my basic knowledge of things, can't Ohio pass a law requiring it to be first and then tell NH to take its "we're first" law and to cram it because NH laws can't influence how Ohio works, right?

It might be tradition, but tradition is peer pressure exuded on you by dead people.
Answered already, but clarifying.

Correct that a law in NH can't prevent Indiana from doing something.

It compels the Office of the Secretary of State (or whoever governs elections in NH) to be first.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 10:00 AM   #181
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Answered already, but clarifying.

Correct that a law in NH can't prevent Indiana from doing something.

It compels the Office of the Secretary of State (or whoever governs elections in NH) to be first.
Well yeah but you don't have to follow that too far to see the inherent absurdity.

If three men who work at an office all declare rules for themselves that they have to be the first person to walk through the front door in the morning... it doesn't take a genius to see how that isn't going to work even if none of the 3 try to tell the other 2 what they have to do.
Old 5th February 2020, 10:11 AM   #182
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've been AWOL.

Or North Carolina?
Or Texas?

I think some states tried that a few cycles ago but the party stepped in and refused to accept their delegates. May have been an earlier post in this thread explaining it better.
Old 5th February 2020, 10:16 AM   #183
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes.

Quote:
As I understand it, yes.
Old 5th February 2020, 10:35 AM   #184
C_Felix
Master Poster

No eventually one state would just hit the brick wall that there is only so far back you can move something before you reverse lap yourself and wind up in the previous election cycle at which point the whole stupid thing would collapse.
Well yeah but you don't have to follow that too far to see the inherent absurdity.

If three men who work at an office all declare rules for themselves that they have to be the first person to walk through the front door in the morning... it doesn't take a genius to see how that isn't going to work even if none of the 3 try to tell the other 2 what they have to do.
This is kinda where I was going.

Is there a chance that "we" might push have some primaries in December? (Which would be dumb and self-defeating)
Old 5th February 2020, 10:40 AM   #185
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Is there a chance that "we" might push have some primaries in December? (Which would be dumb and self-defeating)
At this point I'm dead serious when I say in a couple of decades at most the election/campaign cycle will literally have extended to the point that it's always happening, and in the foreground of politics not the background.
Old 5th February 2020, 10:41 AM   #186
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Wow. I think the primaries serve a purpose (to see if the candidates can actually get people to vote for them), but I am 100% in agreement that the primary process should inform the convention, but not rule it. Still, never going to happen.

But like D4m10n, I am curious how this reconciles with your other beliefs on the electoral college and the Senate.
These are political parties not government institutions. Most political parties do not choose their candidates by election. I have no problem with that part of the process not being democratic. And in my mind, primaries don't necessarily produce the best candidates.
Old 5th February 2020, 10:56 AM   #187
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

These are political parties not government institutions. Most political parties do not choose their candidates by election. I have no problem with that part of the process not being democratic. And in my mind, primaries don't necessarily produce the best candidates.
I have concerns with "privatized" control of political participation. Any institution the state gives control in this arena over to needs to be held to the same standard we would demand if the government itself were overseeing the process.

My understanding is they do nominate by election.

How delegates that vote are determined and in which ways they can do so are highly controlled, however.

In a sense, the delegate voting is a lot like the electoral college. At the direction of the candidate they are pledged to, they can vote another way.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 11:06 AM   #188
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. There is literally, technically a chance that could happen.

But there's not much appetite for doing it, since things are already about as stretched as people care to stretch them.

You're asking these questions. What's the nature of your concern?
Old 5th February 2020, 11:08 AM   #189
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I have concerns with "privatized" control of political participation. Any institution the state gives control in this arena over to needs to be held to the same standard we would demand if the government itself were overseeing the process.

My understanding is they do nominate by election.

How delegates that vote are determined and in which ways they can do so are highly controlled, however.

In a sense, the delegate voting is a lot like the electoral college. At the direction of the candidate they are pledged to, they can vote another way.
There are dozens of political parties. But how each chooses their candidates varies by party and state. Most, you have to belong to the party and must attend meetings and perhaps statewide conventions. And the process has changed dramatically and continues to change so perhaps I've overstated how undemocratic it is today.

I'm just not a fan of the primary process today. It's more about money and advertising then it is about deciding what is best for the country and who the best candidate is.
Old 5th February 2020, 11:27 AM   #190
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm just not a fan of the primary process today. It's more about money and advertising then it is about deciding what is best for the country and who the best candidate is.
"The Democratic Primary of California. Brought to you by Ford. And by Mr. Clean."

Old 5th February 2020, 11:27 AM   #191
C_Felix
Master Poster

Yes. There is literally, technically a chance that could happen.

But there's not much appetite for doing it, since things are already about as stretched as people care to stretch them.

You're asking these questions. What's the nature of your concern?
Just pure curiosity around the idea of "We have a law that makes us first!" and how all that works.

And I was also thinking about reductio ad absurdum with the pissing matches that could ensue if Michigan tries to trump NH.

And thanks for explaining how Ohio can schedule itself before NH, but then NH will be forced to move their primary.

Last edited by C_Felix; 5th February 2020 at 11:44 AM.
C_Felix is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 11:37 AM   #192
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I think some states tried that a few cycles ago but the party stepped in and refused to accept their delegates. May have been an earlier post in this thread explaining it better.
Yes, in 2008, both Florida and Michigan tried to jump to the front of the line. The DNC responded by initially refusing to seat the delegates. They later reinstated them but cut their votes in half.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 01:08 PM   #193
Childlike Empress
Banned

The results page is now at 75%.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 01:12 PM   #194
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There are dozens of political parties. But how each chooses their candidates varies by party and state. Most, you have to belong to the party and must attend meetings and perhaps statewide conventions. And the process has changed dramatically and continues to change so perhaps I've overstated how undemocratic it is today.

Basically, you are in favor of limiting the franchise in choosing a party candidate.
So do you advocate liminting the franchsie in the general election?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 01:12 PM   #195
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Yes, in 2008, both Florida and Michigan tried to jump to the front of the line. The DNC responded by initially refusing to seat the delegates. They later reinstated them but cut their votes in half.
At least Florida and the Great State of Michigan have a lot of people. It makes sense to throw them a frickin bone. But yeah, I think soon the elections will be held similarly to how Olympic bids are made. You will have to bid two or three cycles down the line.
Old 5th February 2020, 01:14 PM   #196
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I would say have all the primaries on one day, but I don't see that happening.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 01:23 PM   #197
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
When you have a primary with a more than 2 or 3 candidates, and all votes were held on the same day, it would be very rare for one person to obtain a majority (or even a strong plurality). Thus, you might end up with various back-room deals in order for the various candidates to consolidate support.

You would need some sort of tie-breaking mechanism (perhaps a series of run-off votes, and/or a ranked ballot). But since candidates compete for delegates at a state level, any sort of run-off or ranked ballot will be complex.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 01:31 PM   #198
ahhell
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If we are going to keep primaries, I think that makes the most sense. I'd also have it much closer to the general. We really need to shorten this process man.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2020, 01:50 PM   #199
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Getting on the ballot has to be an open process. Fill out form XCYA164b and pay a nominal fee or gather x signatures.

Getting that party's winning vote probably requires going to meetings and knowing them (small parties, that is). If you actually want to attain office. You appear on the ballot as a D or R and give 12-14 hours of life a day to meeting a few key players and amassing a war chest to buy ads.

Needing to be a declared party member does have impact where primaries are closed.
Old 5th February 2020, 02:07 PM   #200
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Maybe this FUBAR will make some counties work harder to make sure that the actual elections run smoothly.
It'd be interesting to see if there were actually any counties that hit the trifecta of -
- needs to improve,
- is able to improve, and
- wasn't motivated to improve but is motivated now because of this.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics