IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kyle Rittenhouse , murder cases

Old 9th September 2020, 07:45 AM   #1
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Kyle Rittenhouse, accused multi-murderer from Kenosha BLM shooting

Seems relevant to make a thread for Kyle Rittenhouse, the 17 year old who drove from out of state to carry a rifle at the chaotic protests and riots in Kenosha following the police shooting of Jacob Blake.

Kyle was seen on multiple videos of the events shooting an unarmed protester, then shooting his way to safety as others came to try to apprehend the apparent active shooter.

He shot 3, killing 2. See link for criminal complaint detailing the events

https://www.theherald-news.com/lists...dex.xml?page=1

He is charged with:

- 1st degree reckless homicide for the killing of Rosenbaum, the first victim that was shot in the car lot.

- 1st degree intentional homicide of Huber, the man seen trying to stop the fleeing killer with a skateboard.

- 1st degree reckless endangering, for shots that endangered a journalist near the Rosenbaum killing.

- 1st degree attempted homicide, for the maiming of Grosskreutz, another man seen alongside Huber trying to stop the fleeing killer.

- 1st degree reckless endangering, for shots at third unidentified man attempting to stop him in the street alongside Huber and Grosskreutz.

- Possession of a dangerous weapon by a minor. Self explanatory, he was illegally carrying a rifle.

The NYTimes put together a timeline of the night from available live streams and other videos showing Rittenhouse roaming the street with the rifle leading up to the killings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/u...ing-video.html

Rittenhouse is being charged as an adult and is being held without bail. Rittenhouse is being proclaimed by right wingers as acting in defense, and so far this seems to be the strategy of his legal defense.

His case has attracted questionable lawyers, such as defamation attorney LL Wood, famous for the Covington case. His case has become a large cause celebre for right wingers who see him as a hero standing up to antifa. His defense attorney, John Pierce, has resigned from the legal defense fundraising org after it was revealed that his firm was deeply in debt to prior creditors.

https://www.wpr.org/rittenhouse-lawy...s-defense-fund

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 9th September 2020 at 07:51 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 07:52 AM   #2
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Has he been arraigned? Can't see any articles that mention it.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 07:58 AM   #3
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Has he been arraigned? Can't see any articles that mention it.
I don't believe so. I'm guessing he had some sort of bail hearing at some point, but I can't find any good sources.

Here's his case record over at the state website. I don't really know how to read these things.

https://wcca.wicourts.gov/caseDetail...etails#summary
Old 9th September 2020, 08:00 AM   #4
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'm just wondering if he is going to plead guilty or not-guilty. To me this ones seems to be an open and shut case.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 08:02 AM   #5
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I'm just wondering if he is going to plead guilty or not-guilty. To me this ones seems to be an open and shut case.
It may be a while. It's a multiple felony case and there's covid. Who no how long before this thing starts moving.

No bail, so our killer is on ice until then, so he doesn't benefit from delay.
Old 9th September 2020, 08:03 AM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Been wondering why Ky-Ky didn't have his own thread.

Any claim of self defense should be 86ed on grounds of disproportionate response. Rosenbaum called him names and yelled at him? Maybe Ky-Ky should avoid confrontational situations if they scare him so badly. Or at least not arm himself and saunter right smack into the middle of one. No one appointed him a militia or private security. He sought out a battle and pissed his pants when he got it. A perfect cautionary tale of why you shouldn't swagger around with rifles in the street.
Old 9th September 2020, 08:05 AM   #7
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

Any claim of self defense should be 86ed on grounds of disproportionate response. Rosenbaum called him names and yelled at him? Maybe Ky-Ky should avoid confrontational situations if they scare him so badly. Or at least not arm himself and saunter right smack into the middle of one. No one appointed him a militia or private security. He sought out a battle and pissed his pants when he got it. A perfect cautionary tale of why you shouldn't swagger around with rifles in the street.
Yes, I've been thinking this as well. At best Rosenbaum tried to grab the muzzle of his illegally carried gun. That's pretty weak grounds to light him up with rifle fire.

I'm sure his defense will try to slice things down into narrow vignettes that somehow justify self-defense, but the broader picture of the night is very damning. Kyle sought out a situation in which he could kill someone, and then he did. Afterwards, he shot his way out as heroic people tried to stop an active shooter fleeing the scene.

The reckless endangering charge of the journalist seems like an easy guilty, as the journalist describes what sounds like being hit with bullet splatter from Kyle shooting the ground. Obviously he was a minor in possession of a lethal weapon, so another guilty there, but that's a misdemeanor.

It's noteworthy that the maimed man is still alive to testify. Seems likely that he will state on the stand that he, like Huber and the others, were attempting to stop an active shooter. This will be very bad for the self defense claim.

I'm still waiting to see if there will be any criminal charges for adults who facilitated this armed minor. Someone handed him this rifle.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 9th September 2020 at 08:09 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 08:07 AM   #8
Venom
Philosopher

I didn't think it deserved its own thread, but whatever.

Going to another state anticipating shooting people is not my idea of vigilance or keeping the peace. **** him.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 09:05 AM   #9
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Yes, I've been thinking this as well. At best Rosenbaum tried to grab the muzzle of his illegally carried gun. That's pretty weak grounds to light him up with rifle fire.

I'm sure his defense will try to slice things down into narrow vignettes that somehow justify self-defense, but the broader picture of the night is very damning. Kyle sought out a situation in which he could kill someone, and then he did. Afterwards, he shot his way out as heroic people tried to stop an active shooter fleeing the scene.

The reckless endangering charge of the journalist seems like an easy guilty, as the journalist describes what sounds like being hit with bullet splatter from Kyle shooting the ground. Obviously he was a minor in possession of a lethal weapon, so another guilty there, but that's a misdemeanor.

It's noteworthy that the maimed man is still alive to testify. Seems likely that he will state on the stand that he, like Huber and the others, were attempting to stop an active shooter. This will be very bad for the self defense claim.

I'm still waiting to see if there will be any criminal charges for adults who facilitated this armed minor. Someone handed him this rifle.
Agreed. I'm suspecting he actually transported it himself, to to his pool lifeguard job and graffiti cleanup, then wait till dark to play Captain Kyle. Which would be a whole file full of felonies, I do believe. Unless of course his lawyers would like to elaborate on how a thousand dollar rifle and ammo fell into his hands in a neighboring state.

There is also video of him saying (before he started killing) that it was his 'job' to defend the ruins of the car dealership. Sure would like to know who 'hired' him for that. Seems like some serious charges for whatever adults might be involved in his supply chain
Old 9th September 2020, 09:16 AM   #10
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Still trying to figure out what LL Wood, a defamation attorney known best for the Covington case, is doing on a felony criminal defense case.

I understand why this fame chasing lawyer might try to glob onto another right wing headline, but what exactly is Kyle getting out of this? Is it purely for PR management and fundraising?
Old 9th September 2020, 09:45 PM   #11
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The usual suspects chiming to to support Rittenhouse in 3... 2... 1...

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2020, 11:13 PM   #12
angrysoba
Philosophile

As well as state charges, are there likely to be federal charges? For example, if he brought in the gun from his home in Illinois would that be prosecuted by Wisconsin or federal prosecutors?

As others have mentioned, I am curious about how, if his defence is that the gun was in Wisconsin, how it came to be in his possession? Would that not suggest someone issued it to him? If so, who or what organization is legally arming 17-year olds?

I think the rest of his defence hinges on how believable he can make his self-defence claim of the initial killing. Unfortunately, we have seen some pretty lenient views on this in various recent cases such as Zimmerman-Martin where the cops apparently are satisfied that it was self-defence.

I can't see any way that his actions would be considered legal in the UK or elsewhere, but the US is... different.
Old 9th September 2020, 11:34 PM   #13
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

They are too busy supporting Trump. As was Rittenhouse ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 01:13 AM   #14
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Didn't Trump declare it was self-defence a few days ago?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 01:34 AM   #15
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
As well as state charges, are there likely to be federal charges? For example, if he brought in the gun from his home in Illinois would that be prosecuted by Wisconsin or federal prosecutors?

As others have mentioned, I am curious about how, if his defence is that the gun was in Wisconsin, how it came to be in his possession? Would that not suggest someone issued it to him? If so, who or what organization is legally arming 17-year olds?

I think the rest of his defence hinges on how believable he can make his self-defence claim of the initial killing. Unfortunately, we have seen some pretty lenient views on this in various recent cases such as Zimmerman-Martin where the cops apparently are satisfied that it was self-defence.

I can't see any way that his actions would be considered legal in the UK or elsewhere, but the US is... different.
Usually, they don't bother with charging for crimes that would lead to much lower sentences compared to the main crime.
So no, there will probably be no federal charges against Rittenhouse.

There might be charges against whoever helped him get and/or transport the weapon.
Old 10th September 2020, 05:39 AM   #16
Suddenly
No Punting

There is always going to be an issue over what degree or type of homicide a homicide is because it depends on a mental state. Even if a self-defense claim fails as a defense it can be used as evidence as to mental state depending on the legal definition of murder.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 05:41 AM   #17
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I would assume he is almost assuredly going to plead not-guilty initially. Even in cases with plea deals, many initially plead not guilty and only change their plea after negotiating the terms.
Old 10th September 2020, 05:52 AM   #18
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

it's a bit murky to me

link "The only thing that is clear is that nothing is ever the way it seems." Greg Prickett is a former police officer who now practices law.
Old 10th September 2020, 06:01 AM   #19
Suddenly
No Punting

I would assume he is almost assuredly going to plead not-guilty initially. Even in cases with plea deals, many initially plead not guilty and only change their plea after negotiating the terms.
Yup.

I've seen a few people go into a felony arraignment and try to plead guilty. Pleading guilty to a felony requires a lot of inquiry about the plea being knowing and voluntary, which isn't feasible on the spot, so the Judge just enters a not guilty plea on their behalf and advises the person to seek legal counsel.

In practical terms, wanting to plea straight up at an arraignment is strong evidence that the person doesn't understand what is going on.
Suddenly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 06:07 AM   #20
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
link "The only thing that is clear is that nothing is ever the way it seems." Greg Prickett is a former police officer who now practices law.
He goes into considerable detail over how, assuming no context from earlier events, Rittenhouse's second fatal shot may be considered to be self-defence; but he doesn't even mention the fact that, at the time these events occurred, Rittenhouse had already killed one person, nor does he discuss how this might modify the conclusion that the second shooting was in self-defence. This rather crucial omission leads me to question his conclusion.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 06:30 AM   #21
Jerrymander
Muse

I've heard people call Kyle a white supremacist, is there evidence for that?
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 06:38 AM   #22
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Also from Greg: "Rittenhouse only killed two white people" Let that one sink in for a bit.

Also, his observation of the Huber killing is that it was obviously self defense. Apparently the author is not even aware that there is no self defense claim for a fleeing murderer.

Prickett makes it crystal clear that the murkiness is in his own head.
Old 10th September 2020, 06:45 AM   #23
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jerrymander View Post
I've heard people call Kyle a white supremacist, is there evidence for that?
I haven't seen that anywhere, you have a source?

All available reporting I've seen shows that he's a wannabe cop and/or Back the Blue bootlicker.

Militia nuts and LARPing vigilantes tend to be lousy with all sorts of right wing extremist undesirables, including white supremacists. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few standing with Kyle hoping likewise looking for an opportunity to commit murder, but I don't see any specific claims.
Old 10th September 2020, 07:45 AM   #24
Jerrymander
Muse

I think you're trending dangerous ground. The other side could argue that "you shouldn't chase and attack a guy with a gun".
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 07:50 AM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think you're trending dangerous ground. The other side could argue that "you shouldn't chase and attack a guy with a gun".
What on earth does "the other side" mean in this instance?
Old 10th September 2020, 07:52 AM   #26
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Easy prediction: He'll be found guilty of the unlawful possession charge and that's it. Realistically, the prosecution has zero chance of getting 12 people to find him guilty of the more serious charges and they'd be better off trying to get him to make a plea deal, but of course that will never happen, so they'll waste everybody's time. This is Bernhard Goetz, round II.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 07:57 AM   #27
Jerrymander
Muse

What on earth does "the other side" mean in this instance?
See post #11
Old 10th September 2020, 08:08 AM   #28
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

That's actually pretty good advice, from a Staying Alive POV. A gentleman by the name of Mr Huber might opine on the relative strengths of skateboard versus Smith & Wesson AR-15 rifle. If he hadn't been killed in the effort.
Old 10th September 2020, 08:13 AM   #29
Jerrymander
Muse

That's actually pretty good advice, from a Staying Alive POV. A gentleman by the name of Mr Huber might opine on the relative strengths of skateboard versus Smith & Wesson AR-15 rifle. If he hadn't been killed in the effort.
Couldn't he have done that before he attacked him?
Old 10th September 2020, 08:26 AM   #30
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Couldn't he have done that before he attacked him?
I hope he could have. That's actually something that has surprised me in all this. People seem shocked that armed people actually shoot. There was a alternate view video of Kyle's first kill, where the guy recording ran off after shots were fired repeating 'Omg he shot that m-fer.' Well, duh. What did he think guys pointing guns at you intend to do? Rosenbaum made the same mistake (presumably) that Captain Kyle was bluffing.

My assumption is that anyone waving a gun around intends to use it to end your life with it
Old 10th September 2020, 08:32 AM   #31
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Easy prediction: He'll be found guilty of the unlawful possession charge and that's it. Realistically, the prosecution has zero chance of getting 12 people to find him guilty of the more serious charges and they'd be better off trying to get him to make a plea deal, but of course that will never happen, so they'll waste everybody's time. This is Bernhard Goetz, round II.
Nothing for killing the people?
Old 10th September 2020, 09:53 AM   #32
Jerrymander
Muse

Why did Rosenbaum attack him anyway?
Old 10th September 2020, 09:59 AM   #33
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Why did Rosenbaum attack him anyway?
He didn't, as far as we know. He challenged Kyle to shoot him, which sounds like calling a bluff. He might have grabbed the rifle barrel, which might be defensive if Kyle was brandishing.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:24 AM   #34
Jerrymander
Muse

He didn't, as far as we know. He challenged Kyle to shoot him, which sounds like calling a bluff. He might have grabbed the rifle barrel, which might be defensive if Kyle was brandishing.
The video shows him chasing him and throwing something at him.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:27 AM   #35
ServiceSoon
Graduate Poster

- Possession of a dangerous weapon by a minor. Self explanatory, he was illegally carrying a rifle.

Your statement presented as an open and closed case that "Kyle was illegally carrying a rifle" is framing, thus not based in fact.

The rifle that Kyle had was loaned to him by a Wisconsin resident. This fact will be easily proven by authorities obtaining hte serial number from the weapon. Source. The claims by many that he carried it across state lines and that he possessed it in Illinois illegally without a FOIP card were more baseless accusations.

The laws in Wisconsin are written such that they do not make it illegal for Kyle, a 17 year old, to openly carry a rifle. If you want to argue the ambiguity of this statement you can call this lawyer John Monroe, a Dawsonville, Georgia, lawyer who specializes in gun-rights cases who made this statement to A Chicago Tribune newspaper.

Like every legal matter, we won't know the result until we wait for litigation to finalize.
ServiceSoon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 10:36 AM   #36
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The video shows him chasing him and throwing something at him.
Yes, an apparently lethal *checks notes* plastic bag. I assume Kyle didn't get in any schoolyard tauntings or he might already have an impressive body count.

You arm yourself and march out into a riot, you better clearly understand what you are doing and what responsibilities you have with your deadly weapon.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:42 AM   #37
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Wonder how long Kyle is going to rot in jail before he gets his day in court. As a wannabe cop, I'm sure he's familiar with the expression "you may beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride".

Even if he pulls off a miracle not-guilty on all counts, he's not getting any of this pre-trial detention time back.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:43 AM   #38
Jerrymander
Muse

Yes, an apparently lethal *checks notes* plastic bag. I assume Kyle didn't get in any schoolyard tauntings or he might already have an impressive body count.

You arm yourself and march out into a riot, you better clearly understand what you are doing and what responsibilities you have with your deadly weapon.
But Rosenbaum kept at him and tried to grab him when he turned around.

Why would he chase after a guy with a gun running away?

Last edited by Jerrymander; 10th September 2020 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10th September 2020, 10:52 AM   #39
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by ServiceSoon View Post

The laws in Wisconsin are written such that they do might not make it illegal for Kyle, a 17 year old, to openly carry a rifle. If you want to argue the ambiguity of this statement you can call this lawyer John Monroe, a Dawsonville, Georgia, lawyer who specializes in gun-rights cases who made this statement to A Chicago Tribune newspaper.

Like every legal matter, we won't know the result until we wait for litigation to finalize.
It's ambiguous, but probably not open-and-shut. What seems more likely is that the Wisconsin resident that loaned him the gun is in for a few problems, at the very least in terms of civil suits. They didn't loan him the gun to go hunting.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2020, 11:32 AM   #40
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

But Rosenbaum kept at him and tried to grab him when he turned around.

Why would he chase after a guy with a gun running away?
To keep the armed threat in sight? Maybe to not let him find a good sniping nest? A random running around in a riot with a high powered rifle is a real threat to the public

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors