IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th June 2021, 10:18 AM   #121
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

American fascism isn't going away just because Trump is on the ropes. Nationalism and authoritarianism are now well established elements of mainstream conservative politics.

Quote:
Donors gave the prominent white nationalist hate group VDARE $4.3 million in 2019, over eight times more than the year before, according to tax records the Center for Media and Democracy (CMD) obtained and shared with Hatewatch.

The large sum represents an unprecedented annual haul for an American white nationalist group and suggests that big-money donors of the conservative movement may be moving their riches to more extreme causes in the aftermath of Donald Trump’s rise.
https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/...ionalist-group
Old 17th June 2021, 12:21 PM   #122
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Twenty-two GOP representatives voted against giving the police who protected the Capitol against the rioters the Congressional Gold Medal. According to them, they reject the use of the word "insurrection". One, Andrew Clyde of GA, even refused to shake the hand of Off. Fanone who had introduced himself. Clyde just walked away. Fanone was seriously injured on Jan. 6 sustaining a serious brain injury and suffering a heart attack. These are the same representatives who claim "we support the police". What a bunch of complete jerks. But it's what I've come to expect from this GOP.
Quote:
Fanone said the Republican congressman refused to shake his hand even after he introduced himself as an officer who "fought to defend the Capitol on Jan. 6," and described being beaten until he was unconscious.
"His response was nothing,” Fanone told the Post. “He turned away from me, pulled out his cellphone and started thumbing through the apps.”
"As soon as the elevator doors opened, he ran as quickly as he could like a coward," Fanone told CNN.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 12:22 PM   #123
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Twenty-two GOP representatives voted against giving the police who protected the Capitol against the rioters the Congressional Gold Medal. According to them, they reject the use of the word "insurrection". One, Andrew Clyde of GA, even refused to shake the hand of Off. Fanone who had introduced himself. Clyde just walked away. Fanone was seriously injured on Jan. 6 sustaining a serious brain injury and suffering a heart attack. These are the same representatives who claim "we support the police". What a bunch of complete jerks. But it's what I've come to expect from this GOP.
You know, I was fine until I got to the part of the heart attack. Now I'm really .

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 04:28 PM   #124
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Juneteenth: new holiday celebrating the end of slavery signed into law by Pres. Biden. It was passed unanimously in the Senate but 14 Reps voted against it.

Quote:
Some of the lawmakers who voted against the bill in the House argued the proposed holiday would only serve to divide Americans based on race, including GOP Rep. Chip Roy of Texas, who took aim at the name provided for the holiday in the legislation.
"This name needlessly divides our nation on a matter that should instead bring us together by creating a separate Independence Day based on the color of one's skin," Roy said in a statement.

I have news for Chip: Slaves were not given their freedom on Independence Day. They remained slaves. And that was based on the color of their skin*.

Matt Rosendale declared
Quote:
“Let’s call an ace an ace. This is an effort by the Left to create a day out of whole cloth to celebrate identity politics as part of its larger efforts to make Critical Race Theory the reigning ideology of our country. Since I believe in treating everyone equally, regardless of race, and that we should be focused on what unites us rather than our differences, I will vote no.”
At least he didn't say "spade" instead of "ace". Sure, Matt...you believe in treating everyone equally.
Quote:
During Rosendale’s rise from an obscure state legislator to state auditor and now the GOP nominee for Senate, he was an administrator of a 95,000-member Facebook group where conservatives share racist and incendiary posts. He was also forging connections with well-known racists, bigots and white supremacists that have appeared to call for the murders of gay people and President Barack Obama.

In 2014, during his unsuccessful bid for Congress, Rosendale embraced controversial pastor Chuck Baldwin, a racist and anti-Semitic leader of “hardcore white supremacists,” according to the Montana Human Rights Network. In February 2014, Rosendale attended a service at Baldwin’s church, the Liberty Fellowship. Two months later, Rosendale and Baldwin spoke at a rally hosted by Oath Keepers, “one of the largest radical antigovernment groups in the U.S.,” according to the Southern Poverty Law Center.
Here they are in all their glorious stupidity:

Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona
Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama
Rep. Andrew Clyde of Georgia
Rep. Scott DesJarlais of Tennessee
Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona
Rep. Ronny Jackson of Texas
Rep. Doug LaMalfa of California
Rep. Thomas Massie of Kentucky
Rep. Tom McClintock of California
Rep. Ralph Norman of South Carolina
Rep. Mike Rogers of Alabama
Rep. Matt Rosendale of Montana
Rep. Chip Roy of Texas
Rep. Tom Tiffany of Wisconsin

Reps from only four states that did not have slavery voted against the holiday. The South still isn't really accepting responsibility for its role in slavery.

*Ok...I know it was actually based on whether the mother was a slave or not at the time of birth, but Roy would be too stupid to know that.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 17th June 2021 at 04:45 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 04:58 PM   #125
Belz...
Fiend God

Juneteenth: new holiday celebrating the end of slavery signed into law by Pres. Biden. It was passed unanimously in the Senate but 14 Reps voted against it.
"This name needlessly divides our nation on a matter that should instead bring us together"

A holiday about ending slavery and making people more equal is going to make America more divided, what?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 05:25 PM   #126
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
"This name needlessly divides our nation on a matter that should instead bring us together"

A holiday about ending slavery and making people more equal is going to make America more divided, what?
Maybe he'd be happy if it were called Southern Whites Graciously Allow the End of Slavery Day.
Old 17th June 2021, 05:45 PM   #127
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trevor Noah had a piece on today that was quite telling about certain white fascists creeps.

Quote:
President Biden’s $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief bill gave $4 billion to Black farmers, but conservatives pushed back. Here’s the history of how the USDA mistreated Black farmers for hundreds of years and how we can change it going forward. #DailyShow #TrevorNoah #IfYouDontKnowNowYouKnow
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The bill is temporarily on hold by the courts until they look at the white farmers' case.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 17th June 2021 at 05:46 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 06:32 PM   #128
Belz...
Fiend God

Maybe he'd be happy if it were called Southern Whites Graciously Allow the End of Slavery Day.
Superior Race Allows Temporary Reprieve Day.

Old 17th June 2021, 06:36 PM   #129
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Superior Race Allows Temporary Reprieve Day.
What Slavery? Day
Old 17th June 2021, 08:58 PM   #130
Mumbles
Philosopher

Same people yammering about CRT and the horrors of “the 1619 Project”, despite understanding neither.

And the same people demanding respect for treasonous slavers.

Making Juneteenth a federal holiday is almost entirely symbolic (almost because hey, new day off for federal, and many state, workers). But this is also due to a lot of hard work by real activists, and what we choose to symbolize, as countries, does speak to our group values. White supremacists understand this, too.

Last edited by Mumbles; 17th June 2021 at 08:59 PM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 09:16 PM   #131
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

A federal holiday is not just symbolic, as it creates space and opportunity for more actions going forward.
Old 18th June 2021, 12:51 AM   #132
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It will be interesting to see which, if any, states give Juneteenth off. I'm going to go with "not Red states" for the win.
Old 18th June 2021, 01:21 AM   #133
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Making Juneteenth a federal holiday is almost entirely symbolic (almost because hey, new day off for federal, and many state, workers). But this is also due to a lot of hard work by real activists, and what we choose to symbolize, as countries, does speak to our group values. White supremacists understand this, too.
Federal holidays are also a guide for private employers, union contracts, colleges, public schools, etc. There's no reason to think this won't be a wide practice in a few years.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 02:00 AM   #134
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It will be interesting to see which, if any, states give Juneteenth off. I'm going to go with "not Red states" for the win.
It took awhile, but the MLK Birthday became a state holiday in all 50 states by 1999, after becoming a federal holiday in 1983. I suspect that this will follow the same route.

Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 03:10 AM   #135
Belz...
Fiend God

Please tell me they're not actually calling it that. It sounds like something a teenager would come up with.

Old 18th June 2021, 05:59 AM   #136
Armitage72
Philosopher

Please tell me they're not actually calling it that. It sounds like something a teenager would come up with.

The name Juneteenth has been in use since the 1890s.
The name is derived from the date, the day that Union General Gordon Granger informed the slaves in Galveston, Texas that they were officially free.

Last edited by Armitage72; 18th June 2021 at 06:07 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 06:03 AM   #137
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
The name Juneteenth has been in use since the 1890s.
It's still a stupid name, unworthy of the respect it should command.

Old 18th June 2021, 06:05 AM   #138
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It took awhile, but the MLK Birthday became a state holiday in all 50 states by 1999, after becoming a federal holiday in 1983. I suspect that this will follow the same route.

Correct - and it wasn't some enlightenment that caused that. In Arizona, the NFL threatened with taking the super bowl away.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 09:22 AM   #139
Mumbles
Philosopher

To you, maybe. Far as I care, it’s a compact, unique identifier of the nd of the struggle against chattel slavery, of the lengths white southerners went to to expand slavery, to the point of moving across state lines and going to an insane war while relying on the very people they enslaved to work supplying them with food and uniforms.

In short, the end of one of the most racist, and most stupid, institution at the heart of the US’ foundation.

And watching white supremasists like Rep. Gosar, Tucker Carlson, and Candace Owens whine and snivel about “unity” is fun, too.

Last edited by Mumbles; 18th June 2021 at 09:25 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 09:39 AM   #140
Belz...
Fiend God

To you, maybe. Far as I care, it’s a compact, unique identifier of the nd of the struggle against chattel slavery, of the lengths white southerners went to to expand slavery, to the point of moving across state lines and going to an insane war while relying on the very people they enslaved to work supplying them with food and uniforms.

In short, the end of one of the most racist, and most stupid, institution at the heart of the US’ foundation.

And watching white supremasists like Rep. Gosar, Tucker Carlson, and Candace Owens whine and snivel about “unity” is fun, too.
I'm not saying that the holiday is bad. Just the name. Liberty Day!

Old 18th June 2021, 10:00 AM   #141
slyjoe
Illuminator

Was emancipation day already taken? Tie it right to the Emancipation Proclamation; maybe some will take the time to read it.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 10:24 AM   #142
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

It makes it easier to assign a Monday or a Friday for the day off since that's what they do now with a number of federal holidays. So there is that.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 10:27 AM   #143
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Liberty for who?

We already have the 4th of July. Liberty Day is really too generic.
Old 18th June 2021, 10:42 AM   #144
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Liberty for who?

We already have the 4th of July. Liberty Day is really too generic.
Hey, that was my fist jab at it. Give me some slack!

Emancipation Day works for me.

Old 18th June 2021, 10:45 AM   #145
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Emancication. Juneteenth sounds better already, doesn't it?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 10:49 AM   #146
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Emancication. Juneteenth sounds better already, doesn't it?
No.

Old 18th June 2021, 11:02 AM   #147
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It is a funny sounding word but that is the word that was used by the emancipated slaves in 1865 and by their descendants. Therefore, it is the correct name for the holiday that it celebrates.
Old 18th June 2021, 11:09 AM   #148
Belz...
Fiend God

It is a funny sounding word but that is the word that was used by the emancipated slaves in 1865 and by their descendants. Therefore, it is the correct name for the holiday that it celebrates.
(stamps feet) No, it SUCKS!!!!

Old 18th June 2021, 11:21 AM   #149
BobTheCoward
Banned

Through no fault of their own, they would have been in below average education and knowledge for 1865. An odd group to lean on for decision making.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 11:22 AM   #150
Armitage72
Philosopher

It's a little like going to Hawaii and telling them that Kamehameha is too hard to spell, so we're going to change the name of King Kamehameha Day to something we like better.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 11:31 AM   #151
Mumbles
Philosopher

Like I said, you don't like it. Falls well into black American verbal tradition to me. "Juneteenth" carries everything I wrote about, to me, in two syllables.
Old 18th June 2021, 11:34 AM   #152
Belz...
Fiend God

Like I said, you don't like it.
Of course it's just me. There's no other possibility.

I didn't mean to start a polemic. I'm just saying I'd prefer a name that was more... dignified, I don't know.

Last edited by Belz...; 18th June 2021 at 11:44 AM.
Old 18th June 2021, 11:53 AM   #153
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

(stamps feet) No, it SUCKS!!!!
Go sit on the Naughty Chair!
Old 18th June 2021, 11:54 AM   #154
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Through no fault of their own, they would have been in below average education and knowledge for 1865. An odd group to lean on for decision making.
Old 18th June 2021, 02:04 PM   #155
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Ted Cruz, Ron Johnson, and Rick Scott lie about what Critical Race Theory is in their effort to incite fear among voters that children are being taught to "hate America".

Cruz: “Critical race theory is bigoted, it is a lie, and it is every bit as racist as the klansmen in white sheets.
Critical race theory says every white person is a racist. Critical race theory says America is fundamentally and irredeemably racist. Critical race theory seeks to turn us against each other and, if someone has different colored skin, seeks to make us hate that person."

Um...no. As DNC Chairwoman Jaime Harris said, "Yes because critical race academics who study the impact of systemic racism are sneaking around at night burning crosses in the yards of Americans, pulling folks from their homes, lynching folks & destroying communities."

Rick Scott: (School boards across the U.S.) "are trying to teach critical race theory, trash our history [and] present our founders as racist."

Again, no. Not whitewashing our history is not 'trashing it'. Half of our founders were slave holders. If that's not racist, I don't know what is. These Republicans are getting very good at whitewashing history to reflect what they want to believe. Case in point: The Jan. 6 insurrection was non-violent and just like a typical Capitol tour.

Ron Johnson: “I do not believe America is a systemically racist nation.” "They are propagandizing to our children. They are turning our children away from faith and family and our founding principles and ideals."

Once again...no. Of course he doesn't think America is systemically racist: he's a privileged, rich, white man. How is teaching the factual history of race in this country "propaganda" and turning kids "away from faith and family" unless the facts reveal that their "faith and family" aren't telling them the truth?

Prof. Joseph does an excellent job of explaining what CRT is and is not:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...k-in-politics/
Old 18th June 2021, 02:16 PM   #156
ahhell
Philosopher

Same people yammering about CRT and the horrors of “the 1619 Project”, despite understanding neither.

And the same people demanding respect for treasonous slavers.

Might be the first time I totally agree with you.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 02:26 PM   #157
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just like "defund police", CRT is a bad name as far as marketing goes. People who come up with these names pick something that makes perfect sense to them but is a flop with the marketing target. No matter how much sense it makes to you, chances are you are not the target market.

Whoever came up with CRT didn't consult any marketing sources or they consulted poor ones and now it's probably too late to change.

I get it that no matter the term chosen the Ted Cruzes are going to make the same arguments, but they aren't the target market either. The target is the public. And CRT is a WTF name.
Old 18th June 2021, 02:41 PM   #158
Belz...
Fiend God

Go sit on the Naughty Chair!
Well at least it's not the... comfy chair!!!

Old 18th June 2021, 02:43 PM   #159
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Just like "defund police", CRT is a bad name as far as marketing goes.
Lefties really SUCK at marketing. It's a damn shame.

Old 18th June 2021, 03:22 PM   #160
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well at least it's not the... comfy chair!!!
SADIST!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics