IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th June 2021, 03:49 PM   #161
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Pence was heckled and called a traitor when he spoke at a Faith & Freedom Coalition event. He ruined his chances of ever being POTUS with the Trumpers because he followed the law.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...aitor-n1271332
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 04:30 PM   #162
mgidm86
Philosopher

About Juneteenth, I think it's cool, but my sister the Gov Worker does not need yet another paid day off. This is stupid.

A year or so ago they got a week off to grieve for the death of George Bush! Come on man, let's trade it in for another already existing day. There are only so many days per year.

I'll volunteer Columbus Day, and I'm Italian Take it please!!!
Old 18th June 2021, 04:46 PM   #163
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Lefties really SUCK at marketing. It's a damn shame.
We agree on something. Yay!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 04:51 PM   #164
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Pence was heckled and called a traitor when he spoke at a Faith & Freedom Coalition event. He ruined his chances of ever being POTUS with the Trumpers [any and everyone] because he followed the law [was such a disgusting Trumpy-kiss-ass].
ftfy

He could never have Trump's appeal at any kind of level that would give him enough support to become POTUS and he certainly doesn't have general appeal.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th June 2021 at 04:52 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 04:54 PM   #165
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
About Juneteenth, I think it's cool, but my sister the Gov Worker does not need yet another paid day off. This is stupid.

A year or so ago they got a week off to grieve for the death of George Bush! Come on man, let's trade it in for another already existing day. There are only so many days per year.

That's already being shifted to Indigenous People's Day.
Old 18th June 2021, 04:55 PM   #166
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
ftfy

He could never have Trump's appeal at any kind of level that would give him enough support to become POTUS and he certainly doesn't have general appeal.
Isn't that an oxymoron?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 04:56 PM   #167
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Isn't that an oxymoron?

He appeals to all those idiots.
Old 18th June 2021, 05:07 PM   #168
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

double post deleted

Last edited by Stacyhs; 18th June 2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 18th June 2021, 05:09 PM   #169
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

A WEEK? Holy cow...that's just idiotic. These are the holidays that Fed employees get off not including Juneteenth.

New Year's Day
Monday, January 21 Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.
Monday, February 18 Washington's Birthday
Monday, May 27 Memorial Day
Thursday, July 4 Independence Day
Monday, September 2 Labor Day
Monday, October 14 Columbus Day
Monday, November 11 Veterans Day
Thursday, November 28 Thanksgiving Day
Wednesday, December 25 Christmas Day

Juneteenth makes it ELEVEN days off not including vacation time, of course.

I think it should be a law that all veterans (unless dishonorably discharged) get Veterans Day off.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 18th June 2021 at 05:13 PM.
Old 18th June 2021, 05:14 PM   #170
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He appeals to all those idiots.
The words "appeal" and "Trump" just don't go together.
Old 18th June 2021, 05:36 PM   #171
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Uh-oh...Tropical Storm Claudette is going to hit Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Louisiana. God must be punishing those homosexuals again.
Old 18th June 2021, 06:37 PM   #172
jnelso99
Graduate Poster

A WEEK? Holy cow...that's just idiotic. These are the holidays that Fed employees get off not including Juneteenth.

New Year's Day

I think it should be a law that all veterans (unless dishonorably discharged) get Veterans Day off.
Yeah, America is not known for giving people too much time off.
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 06:39 PM   #173
jnelso99
Graduate Poster

Uh-oh...Tropical Storm Claudette is going to hit Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and Louisiana. God must be punishing those homosexuals again.
What do you think the odds are that Biden will threaten to withhold assistance to these Red States if they have a serious emergency because they didn't vote for him? My guess is somewhere between "none" and "none".
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 06:44 PM   #174
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
What do you think the odds are that Biden will threaten to withhold assistance to these Red States if they have a serious emergency because they didn't vote for him? My guess is somewhere between "none" and "none".
That's because Biden isn't a petty, vengeful, narcissistic sociopath.
Old 18th June 2021, 07:32 PM   #175
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know where else to put this:

Tucker Carlson blames CA Gov Newsome for rolling blackouts during a heat crisis.

Quote:
"What? The biggest state in the nation can't keep the power on?" "Yeah, because CA has poured money into renewables as part of its Green New Deal. They're not working."
(Fact: Alaska and Texas are both larger than CA)
The LA Times says:
Quote:

Hogwash. The shift to tapping the sun, wind and waterways for power isn’t the root cause of the state’s rolling blackouts; it was the failure to adequately prepare for an entirely predictable scenario of a prolonged and widespread heat wave that would make power imports less accessible to a grid that was in the middle of a difficult but essential transition to sustainability.

In fact, this was predicted. Nearly a year ago, the California Independent System Operator, the entity that moves power around the state as needed and buys from plants outside the state to ensure an adequate supply, warned of this exact scenario occurring this summer. On Monday, officials at the Independent System Operator blamed public utility regulators for failing to act, and public utility regulators in turn suggested the Independent System Operator was at fault.

But he doesn't blame Gov. Abbott for the grid failure in TX last winter that left millions without power for days in a historic cold snap and snow storm. He blamed the Green New Deal and windmills.
Quote:
"Unbeknownst to most people, the Green New Deal came to Texas, the power grid in the state became totally reliant on windmills. Then it got cold and the windmills broke, because that’s what happens in the Green New Deal," said Carlson during his self-titled primetime show.
Quote:
This is inaccurate on several levels. Texas’ energy supply is not "totally reliant" on wind energy. The central cause of the outage was a massive failure of thermal energy plants combined with a surge in demand for heat and other forms of power. While renewables are in the spirit of the Green New Deal, it hasn’t been enacted in Texas, or anywhere else.

We rate this claim Pants on Fire!
https://www.statesman.com/story/news...gy/4489390001/
Old 18th June 2021, 08:44 PM   #176
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
Yeah, America is not known for giving people too much time off.

Problem is taxpayers foot the bill for these gov workers. All of their holidays are paid. The rest of us, not so much. So no, I do not want this list of paid vacations to grow.

ETA:

I read a stat that said 30% of all new jobs were gov jobs in USA, I think it was 2019. Hands are greasy from pizza and I shouldn't be typing so I'll look later

Can't find the info for above so scratch that ^^^^

However, 15% of all jobs are local state or federal jobs, including military. That is a lot of days off to pay for, not to mention pensions, medical benefits, and other paid time off.

As for workers getting paid leave to mourn Bush, here it says it was for one day. That is also too much. Governors also declared this for state workers, not sure how many. I mean really? Link picked at random.

https://www.federaltimes.com/managem...eorge-hw-bush/

Last edited by mgidm86; 18th June 2021 at 09:07 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 11:01 PM   #177
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

One day off makes much more sense. I think that's more likely and mgidm86 is just mistaken.
Old 19th June 2021, 04:30 AM   #178
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

New Year's Day

Wow, you have nearly caught up to us, we now have 12.5 public holidays (13 really)

New Year's Day (1 Jan)
Day after New Year's Day (2 Jan)
Waitangi Day (Feb 6)
Easter Friday (Shops are shut)
Easter Sunday (Only those that work on a Sunday get this, but shops are shut)
Easter Monday
Easter Tuesday (Only Schools get this if during Term)
ANZAC Day (Shops are shut half the day, but office workers, etc get the full day off)
Queen's Birthday (First Monday of June)
Labour Day (Fourth Monday of Oct)
Christmas Day (25 Dec. Shops are shut)
Boxing Box (26 Dec)
Provincial Anniversary Days (Varies by Province)

And as of next year, we now have Matariki which is in late June.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2021, 04:33 AM   #179
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Problem is taxpayers foot the bill for these gov workers. All of their holidays are paid. The rest of us, not so much. So no, I do not want this list of paid vacations to grow.

ETA:

I read a stat that said 30% of all new jobs were gov jobs in USA, I think it was 2019. Hands are greasy from pizza and I shouldn't be typing so I'll look later

Can't find the info for above so scratch that ^^^^

However, 15% of all jobs are local state or federal jobs, including military. That is a lot of days off to pay for, not to mention pensions, medical benefits, and other paid time off.

As for workers getting paid leave to mourn Bush, here it says it was for one day. That is also too much. Governors also declared this for state workers, not sure how many. I mean really? Link picked at random.

https://www.federaltimes.com/managem...eorge-hw-bush/
If Government workers are either contracted or on Salaries, how would their having paid time off be a cost to the Taxpayers? They will get paid the same amount regardless.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2021, 05:21 AM   #180
Belz...
Fiend God

We agree on something. Yay!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2021, 05:24 AM   #181
Belz...
Fiend God

New Year's Day

I work for the Gov. in Canada and I get 13 holidays, plus 10 medical days and 20 vacation days, plus whatever time I can accumulate by doing extra work.

Getting days off helps a lot.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2021, 11:22 AM   #182
crescent
Philosopher

A week off to mourn G.W would be idiotic, which is probably why it didn't happen.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2021, 02:07 PM   #183
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I work for the Gov. in Canada and I get 13 holidays, plus 10 medical days and 20 vacation days, plus whatever time I can accumulate by doing extra work.

The US is one of the worst in the developed world for giving decent vacation (not holiday) time. Sucks big time.
Old 19th June 2021, 11:08 PM   #184
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The threat of authoritarianism is real and growing.
Quote:
It’s worth being clear about this: The GOP has become an authoritarian party pushing an authoritarian policy agenda.

There are many kinds of authoritarian systems, and many ways to become one of them. In the United States, the threat that looms is a slide into what scholars call “competitive authoritarianism”: a system that still holds elections, but under profoundly unfair conditions that systematically favor one side. That process, of one party stacking the deck in its favor over the course of years, isn’t unique — we’ve seen it in countries across the world in recent years, in places as diverse as Hungary, Turkey, and Venezuela.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...mp-competitive
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 01:09 AM   #185
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The threat of authoritarianism is real and growing.
Quote:
Quote:
It’s worth being clear about this: The GOP has become an authoritarian party pushing an authoritarian policy agenda.

There are many kinds of authoritarian systems, and many ways to become one of them. In the United States, the threat that looms is a slide into what scholars call “competitive authoritarianism”: a system that still holds elections, but under profoundly unfair conditions that systematically favor one side. That process, of one party stacking the deck in its favor over the course of years, isn’t unique — we’ve seen it in countries across the world in recent years, in places as diverse as Hungary, Turkey, and Venezuela.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...mp-competitive
We saw it a few days ago in Iran where all the moderate candidates were "disqualified":
Quote:
Iran’s electoral body disqualified dozens of candidates for the country’s June presidential election, including nearly all moderates and reformists, a step that narrows the spectrum for political participation at a time when the Islamic Republic faces growing domestic discontent.

The culling of candidates near the center of Iranian politics helps smooth a path to victory for Ebrahim Raisi, a leading hard-line cleric who was defeated in the 2017 election. Analysts warn the move risks reducing voter turnout and further diminishing the popularity of a clerical-led system that has suppressed repeated bouts of political and economic unrest.

“It seems the hard-liners’ plan to fully monopolize power in their hands very much overshadows any desire to present elections in the Islamic Republic as proof of the system’s legitimacy,” said Ali Fathollah-Nejad, a scholar affiliated with Freie Universität Berlin.

While reformists and moderates were almost entirely sidelined, Iran’s Guardian Council, which vets election candidates, also disqualified scores of establishment insiders, most notably Ali Larijani, a former parliament speaker for 12 years until 2020 who was expected to be the main contender with Mr. Raisi. Mr. Larijani is a conservative but closer in views to the current moderate government than Mr. Raisi.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/iran-bl...on-11621951952
Old 20th June 2021, 01:21 AM   #186
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Pence was heckled and called a traitor when he spoke at a Faith & Freedom Coalition event. He ruined his chances of ever being POTUS with the Trumpers because he followed the law.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...aitor-n1271332
Really, even if he became president, he'd have been a one termer and nothing to write home about. His legacy is far better served by being the guy who stood up to Trump and protected democracy. History has plenty of Millard Fillmores.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 05:09 AM   #187
Belz...
Fiend God

The US is one of the worst in the developed world for giving decent vacation (not holiday) time. Sucks big time.
Yeah I know. I feel for you guys.

Old 20th June 2021, 03:25 PM   #188
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah I know. I feel for you guys.
Why? After all, we're "exceptional" and the BEST COUNTRY IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD!!

Old 21st June 2021, 07:43 AM   #189
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Federal holidays are also a guide for private employers, union contracts, colleges, public schools, etc. There's no reason to think this won't be a wide practice in a few years.
How many people get veterans day off?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2021, 07:57 AM   #190
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I'm not saying that the holiday is bad. Just the name. Liberty Day!
Like all that BS French crap you see in Canada. Be normal people. And why do people in foreign countries have such silly names? Why can't they have proper normal names?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2021, 08:11 AM   #191
catsmate
No longer the 1

Here I get:
1. ten public holidays.
2. no real restriction sick leave though >2day absences are unpaid unless a medical cert is supplied.
3. 25 days annual leave, based on my seniority. If not used in the 'leave year' I can carry ten days and be pair for the rest.
4. Overly complicated TOIL rules.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2021, 09:17 AM   #192
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Most government employees at all levels, not many private workers unless they have union contracts.
https://www.bls.gov/ncs/ebs/veterans-day-2018.htm
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2021, 09:40 AM   #193
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not the majority, that's for sure. My husband, a veteran, has never gotten the day off. I repeat what I said before: All veterans (except the dishonorably discharged) should get Veterans Day off regardless of who employs them.
Old 21st June 2021, 10:00 AM   #194
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Federal employees and bank employees do, I believe.
Old 21st June 2021, 11:46 AM   #195
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
If Government workers are either contracted or on Salaries, how would their having paid time off be a cost to the Taxpayers? They will get paid the same amount regardless.
It's the getting paid and not working part that gets to certain people. My wife works for the state and gets ten paid holidays plus a flex day. She jokingly says she's hoping for a day off each month to balance things out evenly, which pisses off my crazy catholic trumpist SiL to no end.

WS
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2021, 06:46 PM   #196
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
It's the getting paid and not working part that gets to certain people. My wife works for the state and gets ten paid holidays plus a flex day. She jokingly says she's hoping for a day off each month to balance things out evenly, which pisses off my crazy catholic trumpist SiL to no end.
See? Everything has a silver lining.
Old 22nd June 2021, 06:49 AM   #197
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Did anyone else hear that there will be some sort of "Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly Tour" later this year?

Also, one can get tickets for this event right now.

Providing, of course, that one does not mind providing money to two rapists, sexual abusers, liars, thieves worthless POS' like Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly.
Old 22nd June 2021, 07:20 AM   #198
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Did anyone else hear that there will be some sort of "Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly Tour" later this year?

Also, one can get tickets for this event right now.

Providing, of course, that one does not mind providing money to two rapists, sexual abusers, liars, thieves worthless POS' like Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly.

It was mentioned in the QAnon conspiracy theory thread.
Questions are being raised by some of his supporters about how he can go on a tour in December when he's going to be reinstated to office in August.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2021, 07:30 AM   #199
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
It was mentioned in the QAnon conspiracy theory thread.
Questions are being raised by some of his supporters about how he can go on a tour in December when he's going to be reinstated to office in August.
Well, ...

If you can handle a bit more weirdness, then I heard that the account goes something like this:

Since many of the various Trump toadies, and Trump himself, were expecting some sort of horrible-awful-terrible-debilitating-crippling Biden meltdown during the recent G7 Summit, then they fully expecting that Trump would be reinstated in August 2021.

However, since the G7 Summit went so well, then these people have essentially conceded the fact that there is no way in hell that Trump will be reinstated in August 2021.

Furthermore, since it is likely that Trump himself will face indictment for some of the illegal things that he did in New York, then Trump needs to raise money now. Trump was hoping to raise cash from his recent web site, but since this web site did so poorly, it was removed about 29 days after it was first posted.

As a result of these factors, now Trump has decided to go on this fund raising tour instead.
Old 22nd June 2021, 08:09 AM   #200
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Well, ...

If you can handle a bit more weirdness, then I heard that the account goes something like this:

Since many of the various Trump toadies, and Trump himself, were expecting some sort of horrible-awful-terrible-debilitating-crippling Biden meltdown during the recent G7 Summit, then they fully expecting that Trump would be reinstated in August 2021.

However, since the G7 Summit went so well, then these people have essentially conceded the fact that there is no way in hell that Trump will be reinstated in August 2021.

Furthermore, since it is likely that Trump himself will face indictment for some of the illegal things that he did in New York, then Trump needs to raise money now. Trump was hoping to raise cash from his recent web site, but since this web site did so poorly, it was removed about 29 days after it was first posted.

As a result of these factors, now Trump has decided to go on this fund raising tour instead.
I don't think Trump enjoyed being president, but it's pretty obvious he really liked campaigning and doing his little mini-Nuremburg rallies. I imagine he'd be pretty content if he could just endlessly tour and bask in the glow of his CHUD followers while hoovering up some cash.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics