IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Closed Thread
Old 27th May 2021, 06:48 AM   #161
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Cop worship is weird.

A whole city is lowering their flags to half staff because a cop died of heart attack while in his squad car. A school in a nearby city is dismissing students early to accommodate a funeral procession.

The dude died of a heart attack, but it's being treated like he was gunned down in the line of duty or something. Bootlickers are weird.
Well, let's note that it's a small department in a relatively small city. They probably don't have many in-service deaths, and a lot of people probably knew him. And it looks like the schools are letting out early so kids can get home before the streets are closed. Doesn't seem so crazy.
https://www.fargo.k12.nd.us/site/han..._Dismissal.pdf
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 07:07 AM   #162
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
I don't necessarily believe that all cops are bastards, but my general Rule Of Thumb is to assume that any given cop might be, at last until abundant evidence otherwise is provided.
And of course works with many many bastards and does nothing about their racist and criminal behavior, but hey nothing about aiding and abetting in criminal behavior could make a cop a bastard.

All cops know other officers who revel in violence and few of them do anything about it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 07:10 AM   #163
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's sad. In Canada I don't need to make this assumption. All of my (rare) interactions with police have been cordial and entirely professional.
Mine too. But I am a middle class white man so not really exposed to the same thing. I am sure if you were first nations you might have a very different view of canadian cops, leaving people to die in the cold.

I have also spent enough time in EMS to interact with cops to know how much crowing proudly about violence is commonplace.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 07:11 AM   #164
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Cop worship is weird.

A whole city is lowering their flags to half staff because a cop died of heart attack while in his squad car. A school in a nearby city is dismissing students early to accommodate a funeral procession.

The dude died of a heart attack, but it's being treated like he was gunned down in the line of duty or something. Bootlickers are weird.

https://kfgo.com/2021/05/19/update-o...olice-officer/

https://twitter.com/FargoNDSchools/s...88923135717378
This is about as weaksauce as you can get, sure.

But I think it can go farther. There is a local case of an officer who died in a 1-car accident, on a rural road. It appears that the guy missed the corner late at night and hit an electrical pole.

Of course, there was a major outpouring of sympathy for the death of a policeman who died in the line of duty.

But I have to say, there is a LOT of unknown information about this case. Yeah, it's sad that he died in this accident, as he was a young man with young children. How sad for that family.

Then again, if he hadn't been a cop, what would we have heard? Why did he lose control? Was he driving at too high of a speed? Was he texting? Was he looking at his laptop (this is, in fact, a well-known problem with police - laptopping and driving)? Did he fall asleep a the wheel? Make no mistake, we never heard anything about what is believed to have caused the accident, it's only "he lost control of his car."

What if he crashed because he was texting and driving? Would he, should he be honored as a fallen hero?
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 07:13 AM   #165
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Please don't assume that Canada is the same cesspool as the US.
Yea nothing wrong with a good old fashioned Saskatoon starlight tour.
Old 27th May 2021, 07:15 AM   #166
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
This is about as weaksauce as you can get, sure.

But I think it can go farther. There is a local case of an officer who died in a 1-car accident, on a rural road. It appears that the guy missed the corner late at night and hit an electrical pole.

Of course, there was a major outpouring of sympathy for the death of a policeman who died in the line of duty.

But I have to say, there is a LOT of unknown information about this case. Yeah, it's sad that he died in this accident, as he was a young man with young children. How sad for that family.

Then again, if he hadn't been a cop, what would we have heard? Why did he lose control? Was he driving at too high of a speed? Was he texting? Was he looking at his laptop (this is, in fact, a well-known problem with police - laptopping and driving)? Did he fall asleep a the wheel? Make no mistake, we never heard anything about what is believed to have caused the accident, it's only "he lost control of his car."

What if he crashed because he was texting and driving? Would he, should he be honored as a fallen hero?
Hell was he drunk like these officers

https://nypost.com/2021/04/30/nypd-s...heel-cops-say/

https://wgntv.com/news/no-charges-to...f-cruiser-tmw/
Old 27th May 2021, 07:19 AM   #167
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Police department is playing games to keep a convicted murderer on their payroll.

Quote:
Three weeks ago, a Madison County jury found Huntsville police officer William Darby guilty of murder.

Three weeks have passed since that verdict — and he’s still an employee with the Huntsville Police Department.

But instead of firing Darby because he can’t legally do the job for which he was hired, the Huntsville Police Department put him on paid leave. Then last week, city attorney Trey Riley said Darby was on accrued leave with pay and that his administrative hearings had been indefinitely postponed.
https://www.al.com/news/2021/05/whit...oll-still.html

The city and the police department have maintained that the convicted murderer did nothing wrong in the shooting and continue to defend him.
Old 27th May 2021, 07:35 AM   #168
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Hell was he drunk like these officers
It's possible, but I would like to think that if he were drunk, THAT would make the news (as these stories did).

But it can't be ruled out.

I will say, I am not falling over myself to honor this guy. He wasn't in hot pursuit or anything, he was out patrolling the county roads and lost control.

Tragic accident, but something worth getting worked up about? Nah.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 07:42 AM   #169
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
A Black Homeowner Hit in the Head by a Portland Police Officer Sues the City—and Names His Alleged Attacker
The complaint gives a narrative of what happened on the late summer evening in the Mill Park neighborhood.

The lawsuit is the first time Kammerer has been formally accused of hitting Warren. It follows reporting by WW last November that first named Kammerer as the officer wearing helmet number 67.

If the city finally acknowledges that Kammerer is the officer who struck Warren, it could call into question his role testifying about police use of deadly force before grand juries. As WW previously reported, Kammerer is a homicide detective who has repeatedly testified in grand jury proceedings regarding fatal shootings by police, including the deaths of Aaron Campbell, Keaton Otis, Andre Gladen and Quanice Hayes. (All of the officers in those shooting deaths were exonerated.)
Portland cop in charge of use of force investigations is himself the cause of a lawsuit stemming from excessive force. A black homeowner was complaining to riot police that tear gas was wafting into his home, so Erik Kammerer struck him in the head from behind with a baton before being pulled away by his fellow cops. The man had to be treated at the hospital for a concussion. The city has fought tooth and nail to avoid revealing his identity, as Portland riot cops routinely have no identifying badges beyond a helmet number.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2021/05/2...eged-attacker/

Officer 67 is notorious as one of Portland's most excessively violent and belligerent cops, so of course he's the one in charge of use of force investigations.

Quote:
Several witnesses tell WW one officer stands out: He wears a helmet marked 67 with blue tape. Videos of him have circulated on social media for weeks. Several show the officer shoving protesters to the ground.

"We all know the numbers of the guys who are the worst," says Laura Jedeed, an independent journalist covering protests, "and [67] is one of the numbers you hear."
https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/10/0...ack-homeowner/

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 27th May 2021 at 07:44 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 09:29 AM   #170
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Portland cop in charge of use of force investigations is himself the cause of a lawsuit stemming from excessive force. A black homeowner was complaining to riot police that tear gas was wafting into his home, so Erik Kammerer struck him in the head from behind with a baton before being pulled away by his fellow cops. The man had to be treated at the hospital for a concussion. The city has fought tooth and nail to avoid revealing his identity, as Portland riot cops routinely have no identifying badges beyond a helmet number.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2021/05/2...eged-attacker/

Officer 67 is notorious as one of Portland's most excessively violent and belligerent cops, so of course he's the one in charge of use of force investigations.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/10/0...ack-homeowner/

We’ll, he certainly is an expert in use of force!

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 10:59 AM   #171
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I will say, I am not falling over myself to honor this guy. He wasn't in hot pursuit or anything, he was out patrolling the county roads and lost control.

Roughly half of police in-service deaths are the result of traffic accidents, not armed confrontations.
Quote:
According to statistics reported to the FBI, 89 law enforcement officers were killed in line-of-duty incidents in 2019. Of these, 48 officers died as a result of felonious acts, and 41 officers died in accidents.
https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...e-line-of-duty

Interestingly, it appears that a large percentage of both categories of deaths occurred in the South, which might say something about training and supervisory standards.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 11:32 AM   #172
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Roughly half of police in-service deaths are the result of traffic accidents, not armed confrontations.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/pr...e-line-of-duty

Interestingly, it appears that a large percentage of both categories of deaths occurred in the South, which might say something about training and supervisory standards.
Many of those "traffic accidents" are police getting hit by cars while doing traffic stops - that skews much more heavily towards Highway Patrol type cops rather than city type cops. I mean, some of them certainly show bad driving practices, but not at bad as the numbers would suggest. In your cite, 16+1 of the 41 accidental deaths were like that. 16 hit by cars, 1 hit by a tire.

I don't know why more of them are not trained to just approach the car from the passenger's side, further away from traffic.

Last edited by crescent; 27th May 2021 at 11:37 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 11:55 AM   #173
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
Many of those "traffic accidents" are police getting hit by cars while doing traffic stops - that skews much more heavily towards Highway Patrol type cops rather than city type cops. I mean, some of them certainly show bad driving practices, but not at bad as the numbers would suggest. In your cite, 16+1 of the 41 accidental deaths were like that. 16 hit by cars, 1 hit by a tire.
And these are certainly "in the line of duty."

And to be fair, even regular traffic accidents will likely be more common because they put more miles on the car.

But distracted driving is a known problem for police. That laptop on the front seat is especially a problem.

Quote:
I don't know why more of them are not trained to just approach the car from the passenger's side, further away from traffic.
Farther away from the driver's side, I guess.
Old 27th May 2021, 12:07 PM   #174
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I didn't mean to imply that cops are driving into trees. The point is that there seems to be a popular stereotype promoted by police themselves that cops go out and confront bloodthirsty mass murderers every shift and risk getting gunned down. That's just not the case.
Old 27th May 2021, 01:14 PM   #175
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Washington state attorney general charges three officers in 2020 death of Manuel Ellis

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/27/us/ma...ton/index.html
Old 27th May 2021, 06:01 PM   #176
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Anti-vax cop dies of covid complications.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/...72243767422985
Old 27th May 2021, 06:03 PM   #177
Belz...
Fiend God

Anti-vax cop dies of covid complications.

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/...72243767422985
Always amusing to hear something like that... though I'm not sure it's actually on topic.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 06:05 PM   #178
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Always amusing to hear something like that... though I'm not sure it's actually on topic.
Cops are disproportionately right wing freaks, including covid denialists. It's on topic, plus it's funny as hell.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 27th May 2021 at 06:08 PM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 06:11 PM   #179
Belz...
Fiend God

Cops are disproportionately right wing freaks, including covid denialists. It's on topic, plus it's funny as hell.
Yeah but the thread isn't about cop behaviour in general more than their behaviour in the line of duty.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 06:13 PM   #180
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah but the thread isn't about cop behaviour in general more than their behaviour in the line of duty.
This cop posted anti-vax propaganda that relied heavily on his identity as a cop.
Old 27th May 2021, 08:48 PM   #181
Tippit

This cop posted anti-vax propaganda that relied heavily on his identity as a cop.
Lol. And all the cops enforcing ******** Covid lockdown policies, and harassing old men and women for being maskless, how do they fit your dumb narrative?

Is there anyone that disagrees with you that you don't hate, and wish death upon?
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th May 2021, 09:12 PM   #182
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by Tippit View Post
Lol. And all the cops enforcing ******** Covid lockdown policies, and harassing old men and women for being maskless, how do they fit your dumb narrative?

Is there anyone that disagrees with you that you don't hate, and wish death upon?
I'd be a little more cautious with your ironic use of "dumb". Someone might die laughing.
Old 28th May 2021, 12:06 PM   #183
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Police department is playing games to keep a convicted murderer on their payroll.

https://www.al.com/news/2021/05/whit...oll-still.html

The city and the police department have maintained that the convicted murderer did nothing wrong in the shooting and continue to defend him.

That's gonna a be a good look for them when the lawsuits start rolling.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2021, 12:47 PM   #184
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The worst cop in Florida—an extremely comeptitive achievement—has been fired for the seventh time. On this occasion, Sgt. German Bosque was canned after bodycam footage showed him help another officer cover up the theft of a gun from a crime scene. Prior firings involved a 2014 battery charge and later conviction for false imprisonment and evidence tampering; beating a handcuffed suspect; beating juveniles; hiding drugs in his police car; stealing from suspects; and falsifying police reports.

Andrew Axelrad, a police union lawyer with the South Florida Police Benevolent Association, told reporters that "Bosque will get his job back."
https://boingboing.net/2021/05/28/no...enth-time.html

USA #1 baby.
Old 28th May 2021, 12:49 PM   #185
Tippit

Who is that post meant for? Do you think anyone will defend that?
Tippit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th May 2021, 12:56 PM   #186
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

It's for you because I wuv you.
Old 28th May 2021, 12:59 PM   #187
Random
Illuminator

Andrew Axelrad, a police union lawyer, did...
Old 28th May 2021, 01:00 PM   #188
Belz...
Fiend God

Lol. And all the cops enforcing ******** Covid lockdown policies, and harassing old men and women for being maskless
You mean actually enforcing the law? What's the relationship with Turkey's post?

Old 28th May 2021, 01:14 PM   #189
Tippit

Originally Posted by Random View Post
Andrew Axelrad, a police union lawyer, did...
Good point. Police Unions (like most public sector unions) are reprehensible.
Old 28th May 2021, 01:27 PM   #190
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Georgia Police Officer leaves his K9 in the car overnight, killing it.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/geo...GVO3Y7QEQ22PU/
Old 28th May 2021, 05:52 PM   #191
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Good thing it wasn't a dog. Because police never seem to have dogs, just K-9's.
Old 28th May 2021, 07:53 PM   #192
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Good point. Police Unions (like most public sector unions) are reprehensible.
Wait a minute. Police unions are unique. Most public employee unions function like unions in private industry: they negotiate pay and benefits, and protect workers from capricious managers. Only police unions can impede criminal investigations and prevent consequences for misconduct.
Old 28th May 2021, 07:54 PM   #193
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

Bad cop!
Old 29th May 2021, 09:05 AM   #194
Tippit

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Wait a minute. Police unions are unique. Most public employee unions function like unions in private industry: they negotiate pay and benefits, and protect workers from capricious managers. Only police unions can impede criminal investigations and prevent consequences for misconduct.
That's half-true. Public sector unions clamor for captive taxpayers and their dollars in the form of ridiculously high pensions and government benefits that virtually no private sector workers ever can hope to get, and no government program, unlike poorly run businesses, ever goes away.

On the other hand, police unions are special in the way that you described.
Old 29th May 2021, 09:09 AM   #195
Belz...
Fiend God

That's half-true. Public sector unions clamor for captive taxpayers and their dollars in the form of ridiculously high pensions and government benefits that virtually no private sector workers ever can hope to get, and no government program, unlike poorly run businesses, ever goes away.
I don't know where you live, but that's simply not true. Private sector unions do the same thing. In fact, public sector unions are less protected because the government sometimes just writes a law ending strikes, which would never happen to a private sector union.

Old 29th May 2021, 10:37 AM   #196
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

If that was true, teachers, firefighters and bus drivers would be rich. Unionized public service employees give up the potential for higher wages to focus on job security and benefits. The fact that in most circumstances they are prohibited from striking takes away a negotiating tool that private sector unions still have.
Old 30th May 2021, 03:15 AM   #197
Armitage72
Philosopher

I don't know where you live, but that's simply not true. Private sector unions do the same thing. In fact, public sector unions are less protected because the government sometimes just writes a law ending strikes, which would never happen to a private sector union.

In the US, most private sector unions ceased to exist once the employers convinced their employees that they weren't needed anymore. That's why the few that are left are such easy targets of accusations that they've destroyed US industry. Sometimes I even hear the really old unions = Communism claim.
But not really relevant for a discussion of police behavior.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th May 2021, 03:44 AM   #198
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Here's Philadelphia Detective Philip Nordo's Grand Jury presentment.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/wp...nt-2.19.19.pdf

I think he done some baaaaad stuff. The real meat is presumably in pages 14-35.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st June 2021, 05:23 AM   #199
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Police Chief of West Hazelton, PA charged by the FBI for criminal civil rights violation after he threatened a critical member of the public with false arrest.

Originally Posted by DOJ Press Release
SCRANTON- The United States Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Pennsylvania announced today that Brian Buglio, age 45, of Lattimer Mines, Pennsylvania, was charged in a criminal information on May 27, 2021, with a civil rights violation.

According to Acting United States Bruce D. Brandler, the information alleges that Buglio, the Chief of Police for the West Hazleton Police Department, threatened a private citizen with criminal charges, in retaliation for social media posts created by the private citizen that were critical of Buglio and of the West Hazleton Police Department.
https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdpa/pr...ghts-violation

Quote:
A month later, Chief Buglio told that him to meet him at the police department. Federal authorities say that's when he threatened DeLorenzo with charges, even though the chief admitted there was no merit to those charges.

"I said to Brian, 'Why are you doing this?' He goes, 'Well, you like to post fake things and fake stories about me so, I could make up a fake arrest and put you in jail.'"
https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...f-983010150429

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 1st June 2021 at 05:24 AM.
Old 1st June 2021, 07:03 AM   #200
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Police Chief of West Hazelton, PA charged by the FBI for criminal civil rights violation after he threatened a critical member of the public with false arrest.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdpa/pr...ghts-violation

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/lo...f-983010150429
What’s the point of being a chief if you can’t use it to intimidate those you don’t like?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events