IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges

Closed Thread
Old 14th June 2021, 02:25 PM   #241
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by erlando View Post
I don't even think the tasering is the worst part. The cops cuffed him and goddamn hogtied him and dragged him to a police car. That's the worst thing. What was he doing wrong again?

I will never, ever understand the american way of arresting any and all for any little thing. What the actual ****?!
He might have been vaping!!! if that isn't deserving of a tasering and hogtie then what is?

Why did they take his shoes off?
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2021, 07:16 PM   #242
Mumbles
Philosopher

Some of these knuckledraggers certainly look the part.
Yup.

That's the less violent video - one of his friends was kneed repeatedly *after* he was face-down and handcuffed. I'd find it but I'm so, so sick of these police brutality videos...

I have no clue what would happen if they saw mass protests - it's be almost entirely out-of-towners by nature, but OC's a tourist trap to the point where it basically shuts down most of the year. When your area is completely dependent on tourists, you...should listen if they're all just marching around angry and *not* spending money for a month.

Easy way: "Sir, are you vaping"

if they show they aren't: "Okay, well, could you please put that away, it's kinda confusing."

If they are: "...Sir, this is a no vaping zone, I need to write you a ticket, please pay this or appear in small crimes court or whatever within 90 days blah blah standard spiel."
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th June 2021, 08:45 PM   #243
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
He might have been vaping!!! if that isn't deserving of a tasering and hogtie then what is?

Why did they take his shoes off?
Because they were having fun tormenting someone they considered subhuman. That's clear from how happy they were after hitting him with the taser. They were rock hard after that and probably had to change their shorts after beating on the others.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th June 2021, 04:51 AM   #244
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Remember when the pigs lied about being poisoned at a shake shack?

Quote:
A Shake Shack manager has sued the NYPD officers who claimed they were given poisoned milkshakes at his lower Manhattan location.

The manager, Marcus Gilliam, says he "was falsely arrested, and suffered emotional and psychological damages and damage to his reputation."

A big part of the lawsuit is the tweet on the left, from the police union, which suggested that the NYPD officers were intentionally poisoned.

But NYPD investigators later said there was "no criminality" by Shake Shack workers.
https://twitter.com/JanNWolfe/status...20005921243138
Old 15th June 2021, 06:15 AM   #245
jollyroger85
Banned

This one is ICE related but the guy was handed over to ICE by the police, (He kinda had his passport card on his the whole time they detained him)

https://katu.com/news/local/lawsuit-...week-in-tacoma
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 04:36 AM   #246
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
A grand jury has indicted a Portland police officer with an assault charge, accusing him of hitting a woman in the head with a baton during a protest in August.

Ofc. Corey Budworth is facing one count of assault in the fourth degree. According to a press release from District Attorney Mike Schmidt’s office, the incident took place on August 18, 2020. The indictment accuses Budworth of using unjustified and unlawful force against someone.
https://www.kgw.com/article/news/loc...c-63f49e241c04

Above source contains a video showing the assault. The victim was a photojournalist wearing a press pass who was shoved to the ground and clubbed in the face by the indicted riot cop.

In related news, notoriously violent Detective Erik Kammerer may likewise be facing similar charges for criminal use of force during protests.

Quote:
The Oregon Department of Justice is reviewing Portland Police Detective Erik Kammerer’s use of force during protests for potential criminal prosecution, according to the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office.

“I can now confirm Portland Detective Erik Kammerer’s use of force during protests is under review by the Oregon Department of Justice for potential criminal prosecution,” says Brent Weisberg, a spokesman for the DA. “The request for ODOJ involvement was made by DA [Mike] Schmidt because of a potential conflict of interest in our office.”
https://www.wweek.com/news/courts/20...ys-das-office/

Kammerer is also the cause of a lawsuit against the city when he clubbed a black homeowner in the back of the head who came outside his home to complain that police tear gas was wafting into his home and injuring his children.
Old 16th June 2021, 07:42 AM   #247
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

A long history of this kind of thing. From Adam Sandler's 2003 movie, "Anger Management:"

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Only going to say this one more time.jpg (63.6 KB, 7 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 08:04 AM   #248
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Portland goon squad disbands after riot cop charged for brutalizing photojournalist.

Quote:
Officers with the Portland Police Bureau’s Rapid Response Team — the unit responsible for policing protests in the city — resigned from the team in mass Wednesday night, according to multiple sources speaking on background.

The resignations came after news this week that one member of the team, Officer Corey Budworth, would face criminal charges for excessive force used during a racial justice protest last year, and that a second Rapid Response Team member, Det. Erik Kammerer, is being investigated by the Oregon Department of Justice on similar allegations.
https://www.opb.org/article/2021/06/...response-team/
Old 17th June 2021, 08:29 AM   #249
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Portland goon squad disbands after riot cop charged for brutalizing photojournalist.

https://www.opb.org/article/2021/06/...response-team/
That is just terrible... because in most careers people who resign their positions no longer work for the company. Every one of these pieces of **** should be paycheck-free.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 03:28 PM   #250
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I'm moving this from anther thread ("Rioters storm et al") because it didn't 'fit.' The context to this was a post about a retired New York City cop, Thomas Webster, who is in jail after assaulting a Capitol police office last January. I observed that a relative and a close friend are/were NYPD officers. They both always warned me -- and they don't know one another -- to be careful in any interaction with police. They both say the same thing, roughly half the officers they worked with should never have been appointed. That attitude seems to be pretty common within the ranks of the men in blue.

An example: I worked at a cab company years back where a uniformed patrol sergeant was a part-time driver/dispatcher and we became friendly. Everybody knew the sergeant as Donnie and he had a reputation as an outstanding officer. He told me when he was getting an anti-street crime assignment. Himself and four patrol officers assigned to just three blocks around part of a huge low-income city housing project. The buildings had (separate) community councils and one was complaining about on-street drug sales. This part of the housing development fronted on a busy commercial street and was the epicenter for most of the trouble. Things got heated after an elderly woman on her way home at 7 pm was viciously mugged right on the steps of one of the buildings. The large group of youths that were always hanging out there stood by and did nothing.

Donnie told me, he was out there with four young cops, all with less than two years on the job. "It's a walking post," he explained. "I tried to get some of the older guys to volunteer but they want to be in a car." Donnie said the four cops he was supervising were more trouble than the people they were supposed to be policing. "I try to explain to them," Donnie told me, "You can't push these street guys around. They know their friends are watching, they're going to push back. That's not what we're here for."

Donnie was a real street cop and fearless. The kind that would go up to a group of homies and say, "Hey, do me a favor. Go buy your freaking drugs someplace else, come on." The kids would laugh and say they weren't there to buy drugs. But it worked, gradually he established some rapport with some of the kids. Plus the constant police presence put a huge crimp in the drug trade. After a few months the situation had cooled off to the point a full-time anti-street crime unit was not needed. The precinct was proactive. They informed the community group before the unit was withdrawn. They said that police resources were limited and the unit was needed elsewhere. They stressed, "If those SOBs come back, the unit will come back.""
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st June 2021, 01:41 PM   #251
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

NYPD civilian review board is having trouble with the 303 complaints arising from the police response to recent protests because the cops concealed their identity while brutalizing the public.

Quote:
The CCRB has seen unprecedented challenges in investigating these complaints particularly around the identification of officers due to the failure to follow proper protocols, officers covering their names and shield, officers wearing protective equipment that did not belong to them, the lack of proper use of body worn cameras, as well as incomplete and severely delayed paperwork.
Of those that they have processed already 35% have been found to be substantiated and they recommend discipline. In 12 examples they recommend criminal charges.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/ccrb/dow...une%202021.pdf
Old 22nd June 2021, 04:59 AM   #252
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Cops gonna cop

Quote:
Seven deputies with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department are being accused of beating a man who was left with serious injuries. His attorneys say he was hit in the face up to 44 times and is now unable to see out of his left eye.
https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1407128551757737984

Pulled over for straddling a lane line and beaten to the point of loosing teeth, breaking multiple bones in his face, and likely being permanently blinded in one eye.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 22nd June 2021 at 05:00 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2021, 08:03 AM   #253
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Cops gonna cop

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1407128551757737984

Pulled over for straddling a lane line and beaten to the point of loosing teeth, breaking multiple bones in his face, and likely being permanently blinded in one eye.

The original link:
Quote:
Recently-surfaced cellphone video of the aftermath of the incident shows Bailey being lifted into an ambulance, with someone heard saying "He doesn't even look human."

"He sustained 64 to 86 total body and face hits. He was pummeled in the face approximately 35 to 44 times," civil rights attorney Toni Jaramilla said during a news conference.
https://abc7.com/7-la-county-sheriff...-man/10818168/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2021, 09:52 AM   #254
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Cop shoves a handcuffed man into a row of lockboxes, rupturing his eye and likely causing permanent blindness.

The cops claims it was an accident, though the man's attorney claims that surveillance video shows the shove was deliberate.

Quote:
The gruesome injury was captured by a surveillance camera in the Police Department’s garage, according to Salgado’s civil attorney, Wesley Ouchi. He said the footage shows a police officer shoved his defenseless client face-first into a row of metal lockboxes, where officers are supposed to place their belongings before entering the city’s municipal lockup.

“We see the officer wind up with two arms and shove my client, who is handcuffed,” said Ouchi, who said he was allowed to view the footage by Hawthorne city officials but not given a copy of it. “He goes face-first into the lockboxes, and one of the metal keys goes through his eyelid and into his eye.”
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ind-in-one-eye
Old 23rd June 2021, 04:48 AM   #255
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

A handy map showing the respective territories of various LASD deputy gangs.

https://twitter.com/PplsCityCouncil/...944193/photo/1
Old 23rd June 2021, 05:01 AM   #256
Warp12
Banned

If only people cared about the actions of perps, we might understand how we arrived at this point. Quite frankly, when I see people referring to the Police as "PIGS", I know there is no reason to read further.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 05:02 AM   #257
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The original link:

Quote:
someone heard saying "He doesn't even look human."
https://abc7.com/7-la-county-sheriff...-man/10818168/
(checks)

...of course he was black. Jesus.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 05:23 AM   #258
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
If only people cared about the actions of perps, we might understand how we arrived at this point. Quite frankly, when I see people referring to the Police as "PIGS", I know there is no reason to read further.
Maybe they should moderate their behaviour then.

As we have seen over and over, the 'perps' don't have to do anything. Their 'actions' can be complete compliance with the Pigs and they still get the treatment.
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 05:26 AM   #259
Warp12
Banned

Maybe they should moderate their behaviour then.

As we have seen over and over, the 'perps' don't have to do anything. Their 'actions' can be complete compliance with the Pigs and they still get the treatment.
This has little bearing on my statement of understanding how we arrived at this point. But, if you think that characterizing all officers as "PIGS" is a step in the right direction, I accept you opinion as to what progress means.

I just don't agree with it.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 05:51 AM   #260
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

If an officer ignores or covers up for the officers that are pigs then they are pigs themselves.
Old 23rd June 2021, 05:52 AM   #261
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Let's not rush to judgement on our high horses.

Who's to say whether street gangs of deputies celebrating the murder of members of the public is good or bad? Let's make a pros vs cons chart.
Old 23rd June 2021, 06:08 AM   #262
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Quite frankly, when I see people referring to the Police as "PIGS", I know there is no reason to read further.
It seems to me that many posters in this thread are not using any such language. Have you determined that their contributions are also unworthy of note?

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 06:16 AM   #263
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

If an officer ignores or covers up for the officers that are pigs then they are pigs themselves.
Maybe we need a hashtag #NotAllPoliceDepartments.

It's not very catchy, but I'd like to imagine that there are some police departments where the senior management doesn't peanalise good practice and punishes abuse and where any bad apples get pushed out before they can ruin the police force.

But those fine upstanding police officers who do their job diligently and without fear or favour but fail to report colleagues abusing their position? They are part of the problem.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 06:20 AM   #264
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
But those fine upstanding police officers who do their job diligently and without fear or favour but fail to report colleagues abusing their position? They are part of the problem.
Fear of retribution from the criminals they report or from the management they report to maybe?
Old 23rd June 2021, 06:32 AM   #265
erlando
Master Poster

Quite frankly ,when I see people referring to ordinary people being abused by police for minor things as "PERPS", I know there is no reason to read further.
Old 23rd June 2021, 07:14 AM   #266
Warp12
Banned

Quite frankly ,when I see people referring to ordinary people being abused by police for minor things as "PERPS", I know there is no reason to read further.
At least you don't refer to them as "PIGS".

I have made no excuses for police abuse of minor offenders, but I think we need to look at the factors that arrive them at such a point. People pretend they have it easy. They are abused constantly.

Last edited by Warp12; 23rd June 2021 at 07:18 AM.
Old 23rd June 2021, 07:26 AM   #267
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I have made no excuses for police abuse of minor offenders, but I think we need to look at the factors that arrive them at such a point. People pretend they have it easy. They are abused constantly.
That's awful, nobody should have to put up with that at work. They should quit!
Old 23rd June 2021, 07:27 AM   #268
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

**** that. That's true for every front line retail, food service, and IT job and they don't get to murder people over it.
Old 23rd June 2021, 07:30 AM   #269
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Which is why, of course, soccer referees are exempt from prosecution for murder.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 07:39 AM   #270
Warp12
Banned

That's awful, nobody should have to put up with that at work. They should quit!
I wish they all could. Things would be a lot better, then. Right?
Old 23rd June 2021, 07:41 AM   #271
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh not the "Well if we don't let cops murder people who will be our police?" argument.
Old 23rd June 2021, 07:44 AM   #272
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
**** that. That's true for every front line retail, food service, and IT job and they don't get to murder people over it.
Lol. Yeah, the level and type of abuse is probably exactly the same. SMH.

We've got some real "critical thinkers" here, I tell you.

Can't even analyze stats on police-related killings...but they will damn sure tell you why Sasquatch isn't real. Too rich.
Old 23rd June 2021, 07:51 AM   #273
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

True I don't get to murder Linda from Finances because she didn't "respect my authoratay" when showing her how to resize an Excel Spreadsheet for the hundredth time.

As to your playing of the tired "But I thought this was a place for skeptics" card, shove it.
Old 23rd June 2021, 07:56 AM   #274
Disbelief
Illuminator

Or maybe historic behavior of police departments have led people to react differently to police. Maybe the perps are tired of the abuse at the hands of the police.

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:01 AM   #275
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

I wish they all could. Things would be a lot better, then. Right?
It would be objectively better if every cop throwing a tantrum over the mere suggestion of accountability for police excesses quit. Like the example of the Portland riot squad that disbanded as a form of protest because one of their own was charged for brutalizing a photojournalist. That decision alone may save the city millions of dollars as the goon squad was the frequent source of expensive lawsuits and was showing no indication they intended to change their ways.

If there's any hope for police reform there must be a cultural shift in these departments, and it's hard to imagine that being possible unless there's significant purging of the most toxic elements. If these people decide to self-select and quit, that saves us a bit of work.

Last edited by TurkeysGhost; 23rd June 2021 at 08:04 AM.
TurkeysGhost is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:03 AM   #276
Warp12
Banned

It would be objectively better if every cop throwing a tantrum over the mere suggestion of accountability for police excesses quit. Like the example of the Portland riot squad that disbanded as a form of protest because one of their own was charged for brutalizing a photojournalist.

If there's any hope for police reform there must be a cultural shift in these departments, and it's hard to imagine that being possible unless there's significant purging of the most toxic elements. If these people decide to self-select and quit, that saves us a bit of work.

Any cop that is mad that they might actually have to respect civil rights and the rule of law should quit, it would save the government a lot of money paying out 6 and 7 figure lawsuit damages.
Fair enough. But universally referring to Police as Pigs, and ignoring their struggles, is not going to help matters, right?
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:06 AM   #277
TurkeysGhost
Penultimate Amazing

Fair enough. But universally referring to Police as Pigs, and ignoring their struggles, is not going to help matters, right?
A healthy contempt of authority is the foundation of accountability. We've tried bootlicking for a few decades, it doesn't seem to be effective.
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:13 AM   #278
Belz...
Fiend God

We've got some real "critical thinkers" here, I tell you.
Well if you want to discuss critical thinking, I suggest you demonstrate that cops have it worse than tech support guys, first, and second that it somehow means something with regards to the abuse they dish back at civilians.

Good luck with that.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:14 AM   #279
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It would be objectively better if every cop throwing a tantrum over the mere suggestion of accountability for police excesses quit. Like the example of the Portland riot squad that disbanded as a form of protest because one of their own was charged for brutalizing a photojournalist.
You misspelled perp.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd June 2021, 08:32 AM   #280
Warp12
Banned

A healthy contempt of authority is the foundation of accountability. We've tried bootlicking for a few decades, it doesn't seem to be effective.
The expression "bootlicking" tells me all I need to know.

Just be sure to call them "pigs" when you dial 911. That way, you are sure to get the help you need.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events