IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 25th June 2021, 12:22 PM   #1
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear Users… (A thread for Sysadmin, Technical Support, and Help Desk people) Part 10

Mod InfoContinuation thread from: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=331688
Posted By:Darat
Damn it. I had to look at someone else's SQL (which always makes me feel dirty, other people's style is weird and off-putting) and I found three mistakes. One's a busted join, one's using a very wrong field to do a join, and the other is doing "where field in (items)" and the items are short by about fifty things that should be included. So now I have to tactfully point out the errors without a) offending them and b) triggering the work to just be reassigned to me.

Sometimes I worry that I'm actually good at my job, which is not in keeping with my chosen view of myself. And for some reason the end users in question on this one seem to like me despite my being as horribly pedantic as I possibly can (I always answer "is this data right?" with "this is an accurate representation of what was in the database at the time the query was run", for example) but it doesn't put them off. Damn it, they're going to ask this be turned over to me on top of all the other crap I'm already doing for them. Grrrrr.

I hate looking at other people's SQL. It never leads to anything good.

Last edited by Darat; 26th June 2021 at 11:10 AM.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 12:50 PM   #2
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Have a site down because the Comcast Business Modem won't power on.

After spending 2 hours on hold and then over an hour going down the checklist:

Me: "It won't power on."
Comcast: "Have you tried restarting it?"
Comcast: "Do you see any activities lights?"
Comcast: "Unplug it from the wall, wait 10 seconds..."
Me: "IT... WON'T... POWER... ON."

I got an appointment for a tech to show up between 10 and 12 today. It's almost 4. I've been on hold since 2, and their chat window literally has "Thank you for your continued patience, we will be with you momentarily." repeated 49 times (I counted.)
Similar conversation with Fitbit support about my daughter's fitbit.

Screen remains blank. It does vibrate and is visible via bluetooth.

"Try rebooting it - when you get a smile it works"
- well suspect I have rebooted it, but the screen is still blank
"OK try connecting it to your phone and changing the clock faces"
-how?
"you need to pair it as in the instructions in the app"
-OK... you do realise that I need to input a 4-digit code that is displayed on the fitbit screen... which is blank.
-OK I failed because the screen remained blank
"try rebooting it."
-I have.

Eventually after about an hour, they sent me an email with a returns label to print out to send it to them.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 01:09 PM   #3
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Damn it. I had to look at someone else's SQL (which always makes me feel dirty, other people's style is weird and off-putting) and I found three mistakes. One's a busted join, one's using a very wrong field to do a join, and the other is doing "where field in (items)" and the items are short by about fifty things that should be included. So now I have to tactfully point out the errors without a) offending them and b) triggering the work to just be reassigned to me.

Sometimes I worry that I'm actually good at my job, which is not in keeping with my chosen view of myself. And for some reason the end users in question on this one seem to like me despite my being as horribly pedantic as I possibly can (I always answer "is this data right?" with "this is an accurate representation of what was in the database at the time the query was run", for example) but it doesn't put them off. Damn it, they're going to ask this be turned over to me on top of all the other crap I'm already doing for them. Grrrrr.

Time to squeal like the proverbial porker.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 02:12 PM   #4
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

This strikes a chord with me--I used to pride myself on being able to write manual SQL code for just about any kind of result I needed. Then at one analyst job we started using SAS Enterprise Guide, and I observed, to my horror, that it was common practice to use visual tools similar to (but more powerful than) MS Access query design screen.

Not only that, but rather than build up the result from nested sub-queries, instead you'd start with your linked source table, and perform a query on it to create a temporary table, then make another query to manipulate the data further, and creating a sequence.

I started out skipping all that and just writing massive manual code in the text editor as God intended, and patting myself on the back for being smarter. I quickly learned the hard way that there were several key advantages to the "dumb" way.

- Troubleshooting was easier with the process in multiple steps. You could easily see what part went wrong, fix just that part, and continue from the last successful step. My way, you had to take it from the top every time you found a bug.

- If the source data or business logic changed, it was easier to modify and enhance. Steps that were done the same way could be easily left alone.

- Someone inheriting the job from me had a chance in hell of figuring out what I was doing to the data and why.

Last edited by gnome; 25th June 2021 at 02:14 PM.
gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 02:20 PM   #5
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

I've had a drink, but people who write unmaintainable code want necking
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 02:52 PM   #6
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
I've had a drink, but people who write unmaintainable code want necking
A colleague tells me that he used to use SPSS, which has some very clever "i think you meant to code that" when running. He said it was weird looking at the output saying something like

Perform function on array string1. No "string" listed - using stringl instead

He also saw a demonstration of a make yourself irreplaceable macro for it, which stripped out all comments, renamed all strings as x1 x2 x3 etc and removed all line spaces so it was a single line of code.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 03:28 PM   #7
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
A colleague tells me that he used to use SPSS, which has some very clever "i think you meant to code that" when running. He said it was weird looking at the output saying something like

Perform function on array string1. No "string" listed - using stringl instead

He also saw a demonstration of a make yourself irreplaceable macro for it, which stripped out all comments, renamed all strings as x1 x2 x3 etc and removed all line spaces so it was a single line of code.
When running?. That sounds like autovivification (which can be a horrible source of problems) on steroids in “hold my vodka” mode.

The last bit: an IBM language called Rexx (big fan) had a oneliner tool that would rewrite a rexx program as one line. Scripting string tokenising language. It was used as a sort of ersatz compile to make shipped code compact and harder to hack. Until someone wrote a deoneline script.
Old 25th June 2021, 09:04 PM   #8
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
When running?. That sounds like autovivification (which can be a horrible source of problems) on steroids in “hold my vodka” mode.

The last bit: an IBM language called Rexx (big fan) had a oneliner tool that would rewrite a rexx program as one line. Scripting string tokenising language. It was used as a sort of ersatz compile to make shipped code compact and harder to hack. Until someone wrote a deoneline script.
I once wrote a Perl obfuscation program (as if Perl needed it! ) that changed all the variable and function names to 16 character names comprised of lower case "L" and upper-case "o," and the digits one and zero.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th June 2021, 11:09 PM   #9
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

The trouble with being "irreplaceable" is that it also makes it very difficult for you to transfer if you want to, say, accept a promotion into another department. You'd better REALLY like staying in the job you have.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2021, 09:49 AM   #10
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Yes it does sound risky. I mean with SPSS it is going to be analyses, rather than actually effecting something vital. Maybe it was in compiling.

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
The trouble with being "irreplaceable" is that it also makes it very difficult for you to transfer if you want to, say, accept a promotion into another department. You'd better REALLY like staying in the job you have.
Indeed, and neither of us are data (or software) engineers* as our primary roles - one good friend and colleague was a software engineer for 30 years before his current role... I has assumed he was a hardware engineer, until he told me.

*We design power semiconductor chips and the processes around them - I play around with Gallium Nitride and Silicon, he still just plays around with Silicon.

Old 26th June 2021, 11:00 AM   #11
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I’ve had the pleasure and agony of working with two genius programmers* (out of the hundreds I’ve worked with). And they were a total contrast. One produced code that was basically ( ) unreadable, actually even worse than that it was indecipherable but it was incredible efficient and fast. He would claim that the indecipherable code was a necessity for it to be so efficient and fast. The other wrote the most elegant code that was as easy to read as a novel as well as being efficient and fast. Whilst I learned some things from the indecipherable programmer I learnt the most from the readable bloke and I bet 25 years on someone could pick up his code and work with it with hardly any trouble.

*Excluding assembler level programmers - they are just weird and have enough trouble communicating full stop!
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2021, 12:16 PM   #12
malbui
Beauf

For a while 30 years ago I had to write some stuff in A68K. I never documented it as I had no idea how it worked. I was just grateful that the numerous sacrifices I made on the floor of the machine room paid off.
Old 26th June 2021, 12:42 PM   #13
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I think people underestimate the superstition level in coders.

Old 26th June 2021, 01:10 PM   #14
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I’ve had the pleasure and agony of working with two genius programmers* (out of the hundreds I’ve worked with). And they were a total contrast. One produced code that was basically ( ) unreadable, actually even worse than that it was indecipherable but it was incredible efficient and fast. He would claim that the indecipherable code was a necessity for it to be so efficient and fast. The other wrote the most elegant code that was as easy to read as a novel as well as being efficient and fast. Whilst I learned some things from the indecipherable programmer I learnt the most from the readable bloke and I bet 25 years on someone could pick up his code and work with it with hardly any trouble.

*Excluding assembler level programmers - they are just weird and have enough trouble communicating full stop!
The indecipherable code bit was particularly useful when memory was limited from what colleagues tell me - and one now-retired colleague had used magnetic core memory.

Old 26th June 2021, 01:10 PM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Dear Users… (A thread for Sysadmin, Technical Support, and Help Desk people) Part 10
Got it.
Old 26th June 2021, 03:37 PM   #16
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Got it.
Indeed.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world,
Those that understand binary,
And those that do not.
Old 26th June 2021, 03:40 PM   #17
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
No, there are 11 kinds.

Those that understand binary, those that don't, and those that don't care.
Old 26th June 2021, 05:51 PM   #18
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xterra View Post
No, there are 11 kinds.

Those that understand binary, those that don't, and those that don't care.
I only understand hex.
Old 26th June 2021, 08:01 PM   #19
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Why do programmers get Hallowe'en and Christmas mixed up? Because Oct 31 = Dec 25.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 26th June 2021, 09:13 PM   #20
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Why do programmers get Hallowe'en and Christmas mixed up? Because Oct 31 = Dec 25.
LOL
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2021, 06:31 AM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I only understand hex.
I tried to get a witch's phone number but it was in hex.
Old 27th June 2021, 06:52 AM   #22
Wudang
BOFH

I tried to get Long John Silver’s number but it was in octal.
Old 27th June 2021, 07:17 AM   #23
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

That's good. I was tempted to steal it, but then realized I only know two people in real life who could possibly get it, and neither of them has a sense of humor. Now I'm depressed about my social circle. Thanks. Thanks so much.
Old 27th June 2021, 08:54 AM   #24
Wudang
BOFH

It was based on an old joke about the lowest definition of a parity error “pieces of seven, pieces of seven”. Obviously it works better spoken than written.
Old 27th June 2021, 09:35 AM   #25
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

It was based on an old joke about the lowest definition of a parity error “pieces of seven, pieces of seven”. Obviously it works better spoken than written.
Thanks for the explanation. I would never have figured it out on my own, never having heard that before.
Old 27th June 2021, 02:30 PM   #26
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Again, LOL.

That's good. I was tempted to steal it, but then realized I only know two people in real life who could possibly get it, and neither of them has a sense of humor. Now I'm depressed about my social circle. Thanks. Thanks so much.
Well, now you know 3.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 27th June 2021, 02:58 PM   #27
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

You're depressed? I don't think I know anyone IRL who would get it. How do think this makes me feel?
Old 27th June 2021, 03:54 PM   #28
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You're depressed? I don't think I know anyone IRL who would get it. How do think this makes me feel?
Superior?
Old 27th June 2021, 04:41 PM   #29
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Sorry, need some help on that one, too.

And I taught some newby employees how to decipher octal.
Old 27th June 2021, 07:18 PM   #30
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Superior?
Thanks. I needed that.

Old 28th June 2021, 05:22 AM   #31
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Superior?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 28th June 2021, 05:39 AM   #32
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Sorry, need some help on that one, too.

And I taught some newby employees how to decipher octal.
Treasure Island. The pirate Long John Silver has a parrot that repeats the phrase “pieces of eight” - a nickname for the Spanish dollar.
Old 28th June 2021, 06:07 AM   #33
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Treasure Island. The pirate Long John Silver has a parrot that repeats the phrase “pieces of eight” - a nickname for the Spanish dollar.
Thank you. That's a bit I'd forgotten about...
Old 28th June 2021, 09:34 PM   #34
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

So I just had my ear chewed off by The Most Important Person In The Department because I couldn't reset the password on a system that we don't own or manage.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th June 2021, 04:49 AM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
So I just had my ear chewed off by The Most Important Person In The Department because I couldn't reset the password on a system that we don't own or manage.
"I'm sorry, ma'am, the new obscenity filter prevents use of those words even as passwords."
Old 29th June 2021, 09:10 AM   #36
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Oh. Oh. One of the things I learnt as a user was never to piss off the guys in Technical Support. Not that I ever did (intentionally). I learnt by observation. Nicey-nicey was the rule.
Old 29th June 2021, 04:35 PM   #37
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Did the MIPITD ever find out who could?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th June 2021, 01:50 PM   #38
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

The Director's PA? Yep, seen that many times before.
Old 5th July 2021, 11:38 PM   #39
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

When I moved to compressed hours, which means I start at 0700 I joined the little gang of people who check the production batch schedulers to see if there are any jobs down. If there were any I would try to fix them, because that's what I'm paid for, it helps my colleagues and it's good practice for overnight and weekend callout cover.

I've encouraged my teammates to do the same, and one guy does it dutifully every morning and posts a little status report into the team chat.

Except when there's a job down. The first time it happened I thought, "hmmm.... coincidence?" Now, it's happened too many times . This morning, no report, and, sure enough, job down.
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 11:48 PM   #40
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Oh. Oh. One of the things I learnt as a user was never to piss off the guys in Technical Support. Not that I ever did (intentionally). I learnt by observation. Nicey-nicey was the rule.
I actually had opportunity to make use of the technical support for my ISP very recently. I gave them all the relevant information up front, and did everything they told me to do. They were able to fix my problem in about fifteen minutes. After the call, I gave positive feedback.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet