IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 21st July 2021, 07:23 AM   #81
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Users are advised that any use of this technology will increase the amount of entropy in the system. While no liability is implied, this will eventually lead to the heat death of the universe.
Hey, don't think you can duck your liability so easily with that smarmy disclaimer. If your product causes the heat death of the universe, I will sue you for everything you've got.

Seems to be a flaw in that plan, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 10:29 AM   #82
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
Last night I had a nightmare that I had been woken up and made to go and test all of the connectivity to and from our application in a three hour window.

It's fine though, in actuality I have just under a month to invent a big team of people, train us all up in the application (millions of lines of code), the connection technologies, and then design efficient, thorough, but fast protocols to test it all.

And run two other projects being staffed by a very inexperienced team.

"It'll be fine," he says as he Googles for jobs elsewhere.

Actually, it won't be fine.
Thank ****, my concerns have been heard and have been raised at "the top." Whether it trickles down the other side and things change is another matter
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st July 2021, 10:30 AM   #83
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have this recurring dream that I'm back at my old operations job, having to follow a schedule, and I've mostly forgotten how and when to do everything. It's been over 30 years since I did that job, and it still has the power to stress me out!
One of our next tasks is to bring the QA batch into line with production so we can start running in a couple of weeks.

"Our" task, but, importantly, not "my" task
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 09:31 AM   #84
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

It is my task
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:03 AM   #85
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I hear that as one of those contradicting Morgan Freeman voice overs.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:57 AM   #86
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Filippo Lippi View Post
It is my task

As foretold by prophecy.
Old 22nd July 2021, 11:25 AM   #87
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
I hear that as one of those contradicting Morgan Freeman voice overs.
If anything my voice is richer, more velvety than Morgan's
Old 28th July 2021, 08:35 PM   #88
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

So I took a fun call this morning. The Chief Financial Officer of one of our smaller agencies submitted a request to get access to SAP Financials. We require a business case. His business case was:

Quote:
I am the Chief Financial officer for <agency> and I require full access to <agency>'s financial management information.
Our Definitive Media Library replied:

Quote:
Unfortunately, the business case provided in your SAR does not provide enough details for us to approve the installation of the software. Your business case needs to clearly explain what you will be using the software for and how it applies to departmental, programme, policy or project work outcomes. Please do not use acronyms in your business case. Please provide the license key details to allow DML to assign the key to you.
Regards
Definitive Media Library (DML)
He lost his ****. He threw a massive wobbly. He called me and chewed my ear off for five minutes, talking over me while I explained that yes, he will have to resubmit the request with a more detailed business case, and advised him of the established procedure for submitting feedback to our Service Delivery area. His rage was barely suppressed.

Now we've received the (strongly-worded) feedback, and all the agents are having a good laugh in the Teams chat.

ETA: This is his feedback:

Quote:
I find this disgraceful that my business case is being rejected. I indicated in my form that I am <agency>’s Chief Financial Officer and require full access to SAP financials for <agency>. This is inefficient, stupid and makes no sense. Why some nameless and contactless folk referred to as DML can make such a dumb decision for the CFO of an independent commonwealth entity is beyond me.

Three Word Story Wisdom

Last edited by arthwollipot; 28th July 2021 at 08:39 PM.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 01:07 AM   #89
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I can see his point of view.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 01:09 AM   #90
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Who actually makes this decision? Surely not the technical team?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 01:30 AM   #91
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Who actually makes this decision? Surely not the technical team?
It's the DML. And they do so according to a very strict set of rules. There is no-one that those rules do not apply to.

Procedure doesn't exist to inconvenience people. It exists to make the job of providing services to an 8,000 strong workforce easier and more streamlined.

Three Word Story Wisdom
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 06:29 AM   #92
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

It's the DML. And they do so according to a very strict set of rules. There is no-one that those rules do not apply to.

Procedure doesn't exist to inconvenience people. It exists to make the job of providing services to an 8,000 strong workforce easier and more streamlined.
My response in this sort of situation, based on being on both sides of the fence on various occasions, is to accept that "Them's the Rules". You can rail against them and potentially do your career and mental health irreparable harm. Bur it is better to conform (or "play along", if you will) and get the results you want.

Whatever you do, don't take it out on the poor guy responding. He did not make the rules and you don't know who his friends are or what damage he can do if he is the vindictive sort.
Old 29th July 2021, 08:48 AM   #93
malbui
Beauf

Over the years on different consulting assignments I've taken great pleasure in refusing this kind of request. Show me a business case and exactly which data and functionality you need access to. "All the data" just doesn't cut it. In my experience, the more senior the role, the lesser the need to actually get their hands dirty.

At one company the access rights were such a disaster that the board decided to remove all application access rights over one weekend and wait for people to complain on the Monday morning, after which we'd reactivate rights based on our assessment of operational need. My analysis a month later showed that only about 25% of user accounts were brought back to life, which shows just how necessary the thousands of previous accounts actually had been.
Old 29th July 2021, 07:38 PM   #94
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
My response in this sort of situation, based on being on both sides of the fence on various occasions, is to accept that "Them's the Rules". You can rail against them and potentially do your career and mental health irreparable harm. Bur it is better to conform (or "play along", if you will) and get the results you want.

Whatever you do, don't take it out on the poor guy responding. He did not make the rules and you don't know who his friends are or what damage he can do if he is the vindictive sort.
Yes. 100%. Later that day, one of the other T2 agents took a call from someone who was being similarly unreasonable. It was that kind of day. She's pretty new, and she has some stress and anxiety issues, but she handled it very well.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 29th July 2021, 11:36 PM   #95
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

Tell her to embellish the experience and write it up on NotAlwaysRight.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 11:42 PM   #96
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

"...and everybody applauded."

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 30th July 2021, 12:19 AM   #97
catsmate
No longer the 1

"...and everybody applauded."
"So that's why I tracked down his desk and, on my next visit, sprinkled some zinc phosphide on his unattended latte".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 09:40 AM   #98
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
"So that's why I tracked down his desk and, on my next visit, sprinkled some zinc phosphide on his unattended latte".
Not hugely imaginative. And much too fast. An incident I remember from the days when Batch Processing was king was the story from a friend who knew the guy who maintained the payroll system for a large US city. The guy was hassled by a city cop and told him, "Your paycheck will never be right again". It never was and every two weeks the poor cop had to deal with the payroll department to get it corrected.
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:16 PM   #99
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dear User: if you're going to ask me for the spreadsheet, please don't do so by replying to the email to which the spreadsheet in question was attached. It demeans us both.
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:35 PM   #100
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

When people move desk (which the do way too often for no reason but that's neither her nor there) I move IT equipment. I do not move anything else.

Like I honestly do try to maintain a good working relationship with my users but I'm not "the help." I don't work for your company. My company has a contract with your company for me to perform very specific actions.

I'm not the janitor, I'm not the on call "there's a spider in the bathroom" guy, I'm not the electrician, I'm not the "Do things on my computer that are my job but I never bothered how to do" guy.

So do not make some backhanded appeal to "We're both on the same team" because we're honestly not.
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:51 PM   #101
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
When people move desk (which the do way too often for no reason but that's neither her nor there) I move IT equipment. I do not move anything else.

Like I honestly do try to maintain a good working relationship with my users but I'm not "the help." I don't work for your company. My company has a contract with your company for me to perform very specific actions.

I'm not the janitor, I'm not the on call "there's a spider in the bathroom" guy, I'm not the electrician, I'm not the "Do things on my computer that are my job but I never bothered how to do" guy.

So do not make some backhanded appeal to "We're both on the same team" because we're honestly not.
What a terrible lack of teamgetherness and syngergisticism! Why, in those situations, the proper and professional thing to do is say "Twenty bucks." If they decline, mutter "I know what your car looks like" and slink off. They'll think twice about ad hoc requests from now on. And isn't that the goal of support? To get people to stop calling for it? Mission accomplished!
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:54 PM   #102
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I just told someone "Claudia handles those things" and now he won't bother me again. I don't know who Claudia is. I don't think there even is a Claudia here. But I performed helpful service so the requestor is satisfied, and I prevented myself from having to possibly do something, so I'm satisfied. Claudia, if and when she exists, may not be satisfied, but I can't be responsible for other people's happiness, even if they exist. That would be too big a burden.
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:58 PM   #103
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
What a terrible lack of teamgetherness and syngergisticism! Why, in those situations, the proper and professional thing to do is say "Twenty bucks." If they decline, mutter "I know what your car looks like" and slink off. They'll think twice about ad hoc requests from now on. And isn't that the goal of support? To get people to stop calling for it? Mission accomplished!

Very good point. Apparently some people want us to think of people at work as "customers" and what do customers do? Complain Pay!
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:08 PM   #104
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

We refer to "clients". I was told many years ago that some people objected to being called "users" (despite the TRON reference) so for a long time I avoided that term. I think people are less precious about it now.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:24 PM   #105
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

We refer to "clients". I was told many years ago that some people objected to being called "users" (despite the TRON reference) so for a long time I avoided that term. I think people are less precious about it now.
I think they're better off not knowing what I call them.
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:11 PM   #106
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I just found out that we're shifting to the ServiceNow environment in 5 weeks. 5 weeks! I was expecting next year.

I am also given to understand that it is not ready. Not five weeks away from being ready, at least. The TLs and management have been doing UAT and it appears to be frustrating.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:01 AM   #107
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I just found out that we're shifting to the ServiceNow environment in 5 weeks. 5 weeks! I was expecting next year.

I am also given to understand that it is not ready. Not five weeks away from being ready, at least. The TLs and management have been doing UAT and it appears to be frustrating.
Hi from the SN salt mine!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 01:55 AM   #108
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Another day, another hell client who was suddenly a lot less hellish when I was speaking to them.

This may be my superpower.

Three Word Story Wisdom
Old 3rd August 2021, 05:41 AM   #109
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...

This is the most common mistake I see.

SN can be a very powerful tool, and provide enormous efficiencies, but it takes careful planning and solid groundwork to be truly useful. I see a LOT of companies jumping to it without those plans and groundwork, then complaining about how awful it is (which is because of the poor implementation).

Most of the issues I see are, #1 by far, an inconsistent CMDB and a lack of policies/procedures to keep it accurate. Without that, SN isn’t much more useful than any ticketing system.

SN is NOT just a help desk ticket system. In a mature implementation, it’s a combination of asset management, configuration management, project management, business lifecycle management, change control, knowledge base, and several other components. It’s power lies in that combination, allowing each system to feed data to other systems, and leverage all functions to assist others.

When we went live at my last job it was the same kind of thing; our license got CA was coming due, so they decided to swap to SN for ticketing early. It took us 3 years to get to past that SNAFU and make SN truly useful. Most of that was cleaning the CMDB, streamlining and optimizing discovery, getting procedures in place for for manual CIs (non-discoverable assets), and data normalization. Once that was mostly done, the system started becoming enormously more useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3rd August 2021, 06:03 AM   #110
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Another day, another hell client who was suddenly a lot less hellish when I was speaking to them.

That...and the bullhorn.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 06:06 AM   #111
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
This is the most common mistake I see.

SN can be a very powerful tool, and provide enormous efficiencies, but it takes careful planning and solid groundwork to be truly useful. I see a LOT of companies jumping to it without those plans and groundwork, then complaining about how awful it is (which is because of the poor implementation).

Most of the issues I see are, #1 by far, an inconsistent CMDB and a lack of policies/procedures to keep it accurate. Without that, SN isn’t much more useful than any ticketing system.

SN is NOT just a help desk ticket system. In a mature implementation, it’s a combination of asset management, configuration management, project management, business lifecycle management, change control, knowledge base, and several other components. It’s power lies in that combination, allowing each system to feed data to other systems, and leverage all functions to assist others.

When we went live at my last job it was the same kind of thing; our license got CA was coming due, so they decided to swap to SN for ticketing early. It took us 3 years to get to past that SNAFU and make SN truly useful. Most of that was cleaning the CMDB, streamlining and optimizing discovery, getting procedures in place for for manual CIs (non-discoverable assets), and data normalization. Once that was mostly done, the system started becoming enormously more useful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
++1000. Especially the CMDB, which is what I am working on right now.

Also, having the feature modules separately licensable means penny-pinching organisations leave out critical components, deeming them "not useful just yet". Gah!
Old 3rd August 2021, 06:18 AM   #112
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

My company switched to Service Now a few years ago. The switch went okay, but the team responsible for supporting Service Now all quit within two weeks of going live. That seems to hint there was some drama behind the scenes.

And managers never bothered to learn how to do the things they're supposed to do so a lot of tickets languish "awaiting approval". The ones who did learn to click a button mostly do it without reading the tickets they're approving, so they scream at you later for doing work they approved but didn't want done. But that's not unique to SN.
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:17 AM   #113
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I just told someone "Claudia handles those things" and now he won't bother me again. I don't know who Claudia is. I don't think there even is a Claudia here. But I performed helpful service so the requestor is satisfied, and I prevented myself from having to possibly do something, so I'm satisfied. Claudia, if and when she exists, may not be satisfied, but I can't be responsible for other people's happiness, even if they exist. That would be too big a burden.
Personally I'd have avoided "Claudia". I prefer something a little more generic, like "Kathy" or "whats-her-name, her with the browny-blonde hair".

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Very good point. Apparently some people want us to think of people at work as "customers" and what do customers do? Complain Pay!
They also get ignored a lot.

Thick clients, fat clients or dumb clients?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:20 AM   #114
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Hi from the SN salt mine!
Not personally familiar with SN, though I've been to several of their events. Good lunches and excellent swag.
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:30 AM   #115
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Count yourself lucky you're not moving to a new payroll system [wikipedia.org].
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:00 PM   #116
BowlOfRed
Master Poster

I hate it, but I've determined my superpower is that I exude something that causes unwarranted belief that things are going okay. I can put up with it when it's something that I actually know and work with. But when it's outside my field, I feel dirty.

I do Unix work, some python stuff, used to do a ton of storage. I can probably create a table in a SQL database and do a lookup, but I am *not* a DBA. A client of ours had a few of our staff on contract. One of the other jobs was having some argument with client and it was escalating. I "solved" some DB problem for them by walking over and asking a couple of questions. The clients went from screaming at the others to looking fairly pleased. But since I had no idea what was happening, I was stressed out. Unfortunately for me, the other folks at our company told me that they like being able to use me as a totem and drag me around to calm down folks.

Another power of mine is "Consultant hands", but I think most IT staff have that as well. That was what we called it when the helpdesk folks do the exact same thing the customer does, but it works. All due to consultant hands.
BowlOfRed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:13 PM   #117
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

A conversation I had today:

THEM: Can you show me how to change my default browser.

ME: End users, right? Sure!

THEM: I'm IT, but I'm not *that much* in IT!

ME: How?
Old 3rd August 2021, 03:45 PM   #118
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BowlOfRed View Post
Another power of mine is "Consultant hands", but I think most IT staff have that as well. That was what we called it when the helpdesk folks do the exact same thing the customer does, but it works. All due to consultant hands.
Been in that game for 20 years. You don't even need Consultant Hands, you just need to be nearby. I learned that if you sit beside them and ask them to repeat the actions that "went wrong" but to do it slowly so you can "take notes", it will work then as well. Who hasn't heard the phrase "Well, it didn't work last time I tried it!" (Inevitably PIBKAC )

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 3rd August 2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 3rd August 2021, 03:58 PM   #119
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

I've put this up before, but your post sounds a lot like this clip, especially because the woman in this clip is the supposed to be the head of the IT department.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 07:04 PM   #120
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Especially since if you open your non-default browser, a little message generally pops up saying "This is not your default browser. Would you like to make it your default browser?"

Three Word Story Wisdom
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet