IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancel culture

Old 21st October 2021, 04:49 PM   #321
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
At least you're upfront trying to censor ideas you don't like.
If that is your glib, one-dimensional view of what I said, then, OK, whatever

Perhaps you would have been comfortable being one of the fine people carrying a tiki-torch in Charlottesville on the weekend of August 11 and 12, 2017, chanting "Blood & Soil" and"The Jews will not replace us". You do advocate for absolute free speech after all!

Its TRE45ON season... convict the F45CIST!!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 04:55 PM   #322
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
If that is your glib, one-dimensional view of what I said, then, OK, whatever

Perhaps you would have been comfortable being one of the fine people carrying a tiki-torch in Charlottesville on the weekend of August 11 and 12, 2017, chanting "Blood & Soil" and"The Jews will not replace us". You do advocate for absolute free speech after all!
I think this again misunderstands the distinction, and a big one at that, of saying you uphold the right of speech without having to advocate that particular speech.

If I say, "Sure, I think Communist Parties should be legal", it doesn't mean that I must therefore be a Communist.

If I think it should be legal for the Westboro Baptist Church to say, "God Hates Fags" it doesn't mean I therefore believe that God Hates Fags.

The question should be about the right to that speech and the appropriateness of certain types of speech in certain settings (which is where some of the anti-cancel culture people go wrong because they often assume that just because something is legal it should be permitted in all workplaces).

The point is not that if you support a person's right to say something that you must therefore agree with what they say.
Old 21st October 2021, 04:56 PM   #323
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Also, someone who unironically used the term “Uncle Tom” would probably get fired.
It's a slur; it's only directed at black folks.
I know. It’s racist to use Uncle Tom in the context of a black person acting white or supporting white supremacy etc…
I unequivocally withdraw and apologise for using that term. I knew it was offensive and I shouldn't have used it.

Replace with "scumbag"

smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 05:07 PM   #324
Stout
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
FIRE

“I hope my story can salvage some measure of integrity in higher education,” said Earnest. “Universities must give more weight to the devastating, long-term effects of their actions on hard-working career academics like myself than they do to the short-term pleasure of being perceived as ‘right’ in the eyes of a small but vocal group of students.”

The linked story is a little too complex to summarize easily. I would like to highlight one aspect of this incident, namely the outrage that the students claimed to feel. I respectfully but strongly question whether the students really were as upset by this as their words and actions suggest. That goes double for the boulder that the University of Wisconsin moved (see upthread). Some have dubbed this performance art. That's a little too kind IMO.
WOW! That's some Satanic Panic level paranoia and pants crapping right there

Quick to judge
Quick to anger
Slow to understand
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 05:09 PM   #325
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Perhaps you would have been comfortable being one of the fine people carrying a tiki-torch in Charlottesville on the weekend of August 11 and 12, 2017, chanting "Blood & Soil" and"The Jews will not replace us".
Bobbymyseh!

Dunno if there's a Yiddish saying for moving the goalposts, but to go from Ayers lecturing in Chicago to Neo-Nazis marching in Charlottesville is quite impressive.
Old 21st October 2021, 05:10 PM   #326
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I think this again misunderstands the distinction, and a big one at that, of saying you uphold the right of speech without having to advocate that particular speech.

If I say, "Sure, I think Communist Parties should be legal", it doesn't mean that I must therefore be a Communist.

If I think it should be legal for the Westboro Baptist Church to say, "God Hates Fags" it doesn't mean I therefore believe that God Hates Fags.

The question should be about the right to that speech and the appropriateness of certain types of speech in certain settings (which is where some of the anti-cancel culture people go wrong because they often assume that just because something is legal it should be permitted in all workplaces).

The point is not that if you support a person's right to say something that you must therefore agree with what they say.
Here what you don't undertsand,.

I do not agree with the concept of free speech being absolute, with everyone having the right to say what they like, when they like, regardless of the harm it many cause others, and not suffer consequences for doing so.

I am a firm believer that speech is an action, and that harmful speech against members of protected classes is tantamount to harmful actions against members of protected classes. It is a belief that I will never, ever back away from.

For mine, calling a black man the n-word, calling a Jew a "kike", calling a gay person a "faggot" etc, are functionally the same as discriminating against them in material matters such as employment, housing, education etc.

This is why I 100% support the firing of people whose speech and actions are racist, this is why I 100% support prosecution of people like Scott McCluskey and Simon Silwood. Make them social pariahs for their actions.

Last edited by smartcooky; 21st October 2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 21st October 2021, 05:25 PM   #327
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Bobbymyseh!

Dunno if there's a Yiddish saying for moving the goalposts, but to go from Ayers lecturing in Chicago to Neo-Nazis marching in Charlottesville is quite impressive.
Its quite simple: Either you think free speech should be absolute, or you don't. There is no nuanced position as long as you hold that view.

You d4m10n , advocate for absolute, unrestricted free speech. Picking and choosing how bad its allowed to be before it does or does not meet your standard for "absolute" is not an option. ALL speech would be free speech, and therefore absolutely allowed. That means I could publish detailed plans for the building of a bomb, call 911 and make a false report of a home invasion, make a public death threat against anyone, and yes, yell fire in a crowded theatre, and you would have to defend my rights to do all these things because you would be defending my free speech rights.

If ANY of these things were unacceptable to you, and you favour the idea of a law that would make any of these things a crime, then that is "speech you don't like" so you aren't really an advocate for absolute free speech, you are just like me, the only difference is that you and I draw the line in different places.

Last edited by smartcooky; 21st October 2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old 21st October 2021, 05:45 PM   #328
angrysoba
Philosophile

I unequivocally withdraw and apologise for using that term. I knew it was offensive and I shouldn't have used it.

Replace with "scumbag"
Well, I forgive you. But would smartcooky forgive with you?
Old 21st October 2021, 06:01 PM   #329
Cain
Straussian

The braying buffoons won't stop about Superman. Clark Kent's son is bisexual. Why would a ripped, spandex-wearing dude impervious to AIDs have sex with men?? It makes no sense.

Now there's some foul-mouthed colorist quitting his job at DC for reasons not unlike people are quitting Netflix. Aggressively oblivious and hypocritical conservatives are praising him. "What really pissed me off was saying truth, justice, and a better world," Eltaeb [the quitter colorist] added. "**** that it was Truth, Justice, and the American way," he said. "My Grandpa almost died in World War II; we don’t have a right to destroy **** that people died for to give us. It’s a bunch of ******* nonsense."

His grandpa almost died for dumb comic books?? Superman is an illegal alien. He wasn't even born in the United States. He took an American's job and works in the fake news. He could've been a farmer in Kansas, but nooooooooo. He's moving to the big city -- probably to lead double life involving sex with men in phone booths.

Were corporations true to the character when he was used for Cold War propaganda? If nothing else, being dedicated to a "better tomorrow" makes him truer to his roots: It kind of makes sense that an alien would have a more cosmopolitan outlook (the word "cosmopolitan" is derived from "cosmos". The Superman character is based on (or at least has been inspired by) Christ mythology. Is Jesus also an American?
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2021, 06:46 PM   #330
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

You d4m10n, advocate for absolute, unrestricted free speech.
Pretty sure I've never advocated for legalizing defamation or death threats. Are you sure you've got the right d4m10n here?

ETA: https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-quote/264449/
Old 21st October 2021, 08:35 PM   #331
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty sure I've never advocated for legalizing defamation or death threats. Are you sure you've got the right d4m10n here?

ETA: https://www.theatlantic.com/national...-quote/264449/

Yes, I'm sure.

If you advocate for absolute freedom of speech then ipso facto, you are advocating for legalizing defamation or death threats - this is unavoidable. The moment you say "well, I don't support legalizing defamation or death threats", then you are drawing a line, and therefore it follows with elegant inevitability, that you are not advocating for absolute freedom of speech. That makes you the same as me, someone who beleives in limited free speech, you just draw the line in a different place.

Old 21st October 2021, 08:45 PM   #332
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

If you advocate for absolute freedom of speech...
Why are you talking about this? No one here advocates for absolute freedom of speech so as to include death threats, fraud, criminal conspiracy, etc.
Old 21st October 2021, 10:31 PM   #333
angrysoba
Philosophile

I do not agree with the concept of free speech being absolute, with everyone having the right to say what they like, when they like, regardless of the harm it many cause others, and not suffer consequences for doing so.

I am a firm believer that speech is an action, and that harmful speech against members of protected classes is tantamount to harmful actions against members of protected classes. It is a belief that I will never, ever back away from.

For mine, calling a black man the n-word, calling a Jew a "kike", calling a gay person a "faggot" etc, are functionally the same as discriminating against them in material matters such as employment, housing, education etc.

This is why I 100% support the firing of people whose speech and actions are racist, this is why I 100% support prosecution of people like Scott McCluskey and Simon Silwood. Make them social pariahs for their actions.

Huh?

Nobody is a free speech absolutist.

There are, as I said, two points, which should not be confused.

1.) Free speech as a right that should not be infringed, where possible, by the government. This obviously does not include threats of violence etc... but also in some jurisdictions this does not include hate speech. Where to draw the line in terms of harm is a difficult one.

2.) The appropriateness of certain types of speech that while perfectly legal in other contexts, may still be unacceptable in certain employment settings.

People seem to get really confused about these two things.

In addition, there is...

3) ...sometimes claims that protests or criticisms are illegitimate because they are attempts to cancel. However, if you firmly believe in the rights of people under 1, then you cannot really complain too much, or at least consistently, with people doing 3.
Old 21st October 2021, 10:49 PM   #334
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Why are you talking about this? No one here advocates for absolute freedom of speech so as to include death threats, fraud, criminal conspiracy,etc.
And there's the qualifier.

You support free speech, but you draw the line at death threats, which you are happy to see criminalised, i.e. you are happy to censor speech you don't like

I support free speech, but I draw the line at racist speech, which I am happy to see criminalised, i.e. I am happy to censor speech I don't like.

Old 21st October 2021, 11:16 PM   #335
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

And there's the qualifier.

You support free speech, but you draw the line at death threats, which you are happy to see criminalised, i.e. you are happy to censor speech you don't like

I support free speech, but I draw the line at racist speech, which I am happy to see criminalised, i.e. I am happy to censor speech I don't like.
A good thing you aren’t a lawmaker.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:22 AM   #336
Matthew Best
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
"What really pissed me off was saying truth, justice, and a better world," Eltaeb [the quitter colorist] added.
Wait - his name is Eltaeb? Is he a big Beatles fan or something?
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:50 AM   #337
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
A good thing you aren’t a lawmaker.
I'd be par for the course in most countries in the European Union!

Old 22nd October 2021, 06:14 AM   #338
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I'm sure.

If you advocate for absolute freedom of speech then ipso facto, you are advocating for legalizing defamation or death threats - this is unavoidable. The moment you say "well, I don't support legalizing defamation or death threats", then you are drawing a line, and therefore it follows with elegant inevitability, that you are not advocating for absolute freedom of speech. That makes you the same as me, someone who beleives in limited free speech, you just draw the line in a different place.
On the other hand, if speech is treated like other potentially harmful acts, then truth is no defense. Some history is genuinely painful to discuss. Some of it is well settled while other bits are more theoretical and require discussion to settle. Without certain freedoms for such discussions, how can we ever learn the truth?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 06:17 AM   #339
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I get what you mean. I did say that the principal should have a word with her, but given the second video and the knowledge that she’s been doing this for some time I would think it requires a bit more than a word. I tend to be optimistic about the idea that people can be better so the school admin should look into this, probably issue a warning and some retraining. I still don’t like to support firings as a first response, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it comes to that.
Now it comes out that the school was well-aware, having actually promoted her activity in the yearbook back in 2012.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 06:17 AM   #340
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

No one has asked me, but my take on Dace Chappelle, like most comedians, is that he’s mostly only funny when he’s punching up. Punching down isn’t really comedy. It’s bullying. The fact that he doesn’t seem to realize that he’s punching down says he’s gotten out of touch with the world around him.
Old 22nd October 2021, 07:31 AM   #341
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Now that we've seen Jon Gruden's emails, how long should he go to prison?
Old 22nd October 2021, 07:50 AM   #342
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Punching down isn’t really comedy. It’s bullying.
Is there some sort of progressive stack which makes it clear which sort of folk a rich black man can ethically poke fun at these days? Seems like making fun of white-passing/adjacent cisheteropatriachs has to get old after a short while, they're a fairly boring lot.
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:33 PM   #343
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

People who are not trans.
The current equity fund INCLUDES transgender people, they want ADDITIONAL funding beyond that ONLY FOR transgender people. Do you think that Netflix has a fund JUST FOR black people, or JUST FOR females or JUST FOR gay people? Everyone else shares the same fund, which the transgender people ALSO share. They're asking for extra funds that only they are allowed to use. That's a special privilege.

Zero is lower that the proportion of people who are trans, so yes
Are you actually arguing that Netflix has absolutely zero transgender content?

Yes, they do.

Have you never seen these on a TV program

G, Y, Y7, PG, 14, MA

How about these

D, L, S, V, FV

G - General Audience
Y - Appropriate for all children
Y7 - unsuitable for children under 7 years of age.
PG - Parental Guidance recommended
14 - unsuitable for children under 14 years of age
MA - unsuitable for children under 17 years ofage.

D –Suggestive dialogue
L –Coarse or crude language
S –Sexual situations
V – Violence
FV –Fantasy violence
MA - Mature audiences

These warnings are specifically for groups, like parents of young children, those who might be upset by violence, those who don't want to be surprised by sexual content that might find content disturbing or harmful.
Why do you think these content advisories came about in the first place?
Note that there are no ratings for "racist" or "sexist" or "homophobic". Why do you think that "transphobic" should be a specific classification? Do you think that any other "ism" should also be a classification that is determined solely by people that are offended by that particular "ism"?

See above
Irrelevant. None of those ratings suggest alternatives. When a show is rated for Violence, Netflix doesn't seem to feel compelled to "suggest" a show rated "peace" as an alternative.

First the damage has to be undone, the anti-trans, anti LGBTQ, racist and bigoted attitudes of people needs to be changed. That takes treating oppressed groups more fairly and in a less discriminatory manner, and sometimes yes, that means giving them special treatment to compensate or offset the actions and attitudes of bigots, until the wrongs are righted. It also requires certain members of Society to face the harsh reality that they are bigoted ********* that need to be smacked down hard for their bigotry!
I do so enjoy the males that preach that females are bigots for wanting to preserve female only spaces and acknowledge the reality of female biology. Nothing like seeing a male person opine that females should be punished for not letting some males do whatever they want... and somehow feel righteously justified in doing so.
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:36 PM   #344
Emily's Cat

The problem with this is there are a number of academics who use this "freedom, tolerance, free expression and principle" as a cover for their bigotry. Having some alphabet soup after their names doesn't automatically make them nice people who wouldn't call a black person a ******.

(This from someone who does have some alphabet soup after his name)
All that bigotry exuded by Free Black Thought
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:40 PM   #345
Emily's Cat

Because

1. The petty bickering that goes on in academia is of little interest to me, and

2. I already know that FIRE defends speech I find unacceptable and indefensible, and

3. Any organisation that advocates allowing scumbags like Milo Yiannopoulos, Ann Coulter, Bill Ayers and Ben "Uncle Tom" Carson a platform to open their vile mouths in front of university students is not an organisation I have any interest in hearing from.
Are you aware that the highlighted is pretty much the entire reason that freedom of speech exists in the first place?
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:41 PM   #346
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
He weighs the same as a duck.
ROFL
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:50 PM   #347
Emily's Cat

The entirely realistic outcome of your view toward speech is one that disallows dissent from the current orthodox view completely. Your view hands over the determination of 'acceptable' speech to a third party, and you do so while blithely assuming that such party will magically always hold the same views as you.

I think you also are blind to the completely subjective and selective nature of your position. For example, how do you feel about male people threatening female people with rape, calling them misogynistic names, and opinion that females should be killed, bombed? Are those types of speech that you think are acceptable and should be protected?
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:51 PM   #348
Emily's Cat

Well, I forgive you. But would smartcooky forgive with you?
I rather suspect that if the poster were someone other than smarcooky, smartcooky would not accept that apology.
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:56 PM   #349
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
No one has asked me, but my take on Dace Chappelle, like most comedians, is that he’s mostly only funny when he’s punching up. Punching down isn’t really comedy. It’s bullying. The fact that he doesn’t seem to realize that he’s punching down says he’s gotten out of touch with the world around him.
Topsy-turvy world: A black male is "punching down" at middle and upper class white males... whereas those particular middle and upper class white males are "punching up" at females.
Old 22nd October 2021, 01:21 PM   #350
dirtywick
Philosopher

You guys are getting dangerously close to committing a cancel against smartcooky. He’s already been anonymously called out for racist terminology, shamed, and forced to apologize
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 02:11 PM   #351
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
You guys are getting dangerously close to committing a cancel against smartcooky. He’s already been anonymously called out for racist terminology, shamed, and forced to apologize
Yeah, just cancel me... like I would give a **** anyway!

Those members of this forum who would cancel me are those who, shall we say, I can take or leave when it comes to debate (see my signature).

They all run away when the going gets tough anyway.

Last edited by smartcooky; 22nd October 2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 22nd October 2021, 02:25 PM   #352
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I rather suspect that if the poster were someone other than smartcooky, smartcooky would not accept that apology.
Never met a genuine apology I didn't accept

The entirely realistic outcome of your view toward speech is one that disallows dissent from the current orthodox view completely. Your view hands over the determination of 'acceptable' speech to a third party, and you do so while blithely assuming that such party will magically always hold the same views as you.
The entirely realistic (and currently observed) outcome of your view toward speech is one that allows anything. Your view allows racism, bigotry, homophobia and transphobia to go unchecked and unimpeded, and greatly helps to divide society, while blithely assuming that everyone else will magically always hold the same views as you.

It is worth noting that countries such as the UK and other European countries have had the kinds of laws I advocate, against hate speech, for at least two decades, and yet the sky has not fallen in any of those places. So far, NONE of your "entirely realistic outcome" has come to pass. I wonder why that is?

I think you also are blind to the completely subjective and selective nature of your position. For example, how do you feel about male people threatening female people with rape, calling them misogynistic names, and opinion that females should be killed, bombed? Are those types of speech that you think are acceptable and should be protected?
Cancel them

PS: you think that being against "threatening rape, calling them misogynistic names, and opinion that females should be killed, bombed"?" is a subjective view? Really? .

Old 22nd October 2021, 02:34 PM   #353
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The current equity fund INCLUDES transgender people,
No, it doesn't

Are you actually arguing that Netflix has absolutely zero transgender content?
I have a subscription to Netflix. I looked for it, there is none that I can find.

Note that there are no ratings for "racist" or "sexist" or "homophobic". Why do you think that "transphobic" should be a specific classification? Do you think that any other "ism" should also be a classification that is determined solely by people that are offended by that particular "ism"?
Well spotted. You should write to the Censor's Office and suggest it

I do so enjoy the males that preach that females are bigots for wanting to preserve female only spaces and acknowledge the reality of female biology. Nothing like seeing a male person opine that females should be punished for not letting some males do whatever they want... and somehow feel righteously justified in doing so.
Boy you have posted some strawmen in the past, but this is the biggest, fattest one yet!

What did you do, buy in bulk?

Old 22nd October 2021, 02:35 PM   #354
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Are you aware that the highlighted is pretty much the entire reason that freedom of speech exists in the first place?
Yup, but as must be abundantly clear to you by now (surely), freedom of speech means something entirely different for me than it does for you.

Old 22nd October 2021, 02:37 PM   #355
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

All that bigotry exuded by Free Black Thought
Non-sequitur. Your reply bears no relationship to the snip of the post you are replying to.

Old 22nd October 2021, 03:10 PM   #356
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Is there some sort of progressive stack which makes it clear which sort of folk a rich black man can ethically poke fun at these days? Seems like making fun of white-passing/adjacent cisheteropatriachs has to get old after a short while, they're a fairly boring lot.
This false belief that 'progressives' (a lot of people who are not progressives feel the same way) operate on some kind of 'oppression Olympics hierarchy' is very widespread. It is even the belief of some people who only side with 'the left' because they do think it works that way and they like the power they hope that gives them.

Writings of some around The Closer show they'd be with the authoritarians in a minute if they thought it would give their identity group more power (i.e. TERFs). The confusion over, 'who do I side with, black people or LGBTQ?' means one had framed things so that one is trying to advance a tribe rather than advance justice. Your framing shows the same, wrong, thinking. It isn't who one is 'giving you a pass', but the context of what one is doing.

If a gay man makes fun of or otherwise marginalizes a black man for being black, he's punching down.

If a black man makes fun of a gay man for being gay, he's punching down.

If a rich, white, famous, *******, trans person is mocked by a poor, otherwise upstanding, black cis woman for being trans, that's punching down too.

And if a rich, famous, black comic makes flat jokes mocking not just individual people, but entire marginalized groups, that's still punching down. Chappelle's dumb comments around trans people are really overshadowing how the exact same material was homophobic and racist towards black people. Simply the framing of 'black people vs lgbtq people' denies that black people can also be in the lgbtq community, but he goes further and declares that black people can't really be queer because that's white person ****. A simple (or dishonest) framing could pretend he's punching towards 'rich white men' there, but the actual marginalized people would be lgbtq people of color.

This is problematic because the 'ownership' of black culture he and some other black people (mostly men) try to use to force lgbtq people out of 'being really black' feeds the violence that makes most murders of trans people be against poc.

The idea that you can't be critical of black people when they're being harmful towards people in the lgbtq community because black people 'have it worse' misses the point entirely. Oppression isn't a tradable commodity where you can leverage oppression savings on the oppression future's market then use those oppression points to attack other oppressed groups. It isn't one group against others at all but people working against oppression itself. Simplifying it to 'white people aren't allowed to say things' has been causing too many problems.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 03:38 PM   #357
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
This false belief that 'progressives' (a lot of people who are not progressives feel the same way) operate on some kind of 'oppression Olympics hierarchy' is very widespread.
I used the phrase progressive stackWP to indicate that I had a specific hierarchical implementation in mind, one used by actual people doing progressive activism. You might ought to have looked it up prior to declaring it unreal.

And if a rich, famous, black comic makes flat jokes mocking not just individual people, but entire marginalized groups, that's still punching down.
Okay, I get it. Anything making fun of anyone who is oppressed in any way is punching down. All comedy will henceforth make fun of well-off white neurotypical able-bodied cisgender heterosexual males who don't suffer from addiction or any other pitiable conditions.
Old 22nd October 2021, 03:44 PM   #358
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I used the phrase progressive stackWP to indicate that I had a specific hierarchical implementation in mind, one used by actual people doing progressive activism. You might ought to have looked it up prior to declaring it unreal.
Said the belief was false as applied to 'progressives' (anti-oppression coalition really) as a whole and in fact pointed out that many 'progressives' do in fact have the same wrong belief. I didn't say the belief didn't exist.

Quote:
Okay, I get it. Anything making fun of anyone who is oppressed in any way is punching down. All comedy will henceforth make fun of well-off white neurotypical able-bodied cisgender heterosexual males who don't suffer from addiction or any other pitiable conditions.
You don't get it, and you're trying not to. I'm fine with that and have no delusions I'm going to convince you or that you care. That won't stop me from using your writings to point out the flaws in your reasoning though.

I literally said the opposite and said that it isn't who you are 'making fun of' but what you're mocking. Mocking Jenner for her idiotic arguments is fine even though she is a trans woman, mocking her for being a trans woman is punching down. I even gave a bunch of examples.

As someone who worked part time in comedy for almost a decade, there are few things more stupid than the tacit assumption that comedy has to be mocking someone or some group.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 04:07 PM   #359
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Mocking Jenner for her idiotic arguments is fine even though she is a trans woman, mocking her for being a trans woman is punching down.
Did Chappelle actually do this?

Quote:
I even gave a bunch of examples.
No, you did not. You provided vague hypotheticals instead of quoting, say, Chappelle.

When he came up with the recurring crackhead bit (for example) was that punching down?

Last edited by d4m10n; 22nd October 2021 at 04:13 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd October 2021, 04:32 PM   #360
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Did Chappelle actually do this?
I never claimed he did.

Quote:
No, you did not. You provided vague hypotheticals instead of quoting, say, Chappelle.
Chappelle's material was literally another example I used.

Quote:
When he came up with the recurring crackhead bit (for example) was that punching down?
Yeah, in many cases it was. Which he realized.

Any talk about 'cancelling Chappelle', which my previous posts weren't even directly about, needs to acknowledge that he literally canceled himself for what, a decade? He realized how racists white people were using his comedy in exactly the way that many of us said they were, he stopped his show, and ran out of the country to find himself. 'They didn't cancel him when he was mocking black people', but he did.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events