IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 19th January 2022, 03:56 PM   #361
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm almost tempted to think Trump is aware of the "Two Weeks" meme but I'm not prepared to give him that much credit for cleverness.
I think it more likely that two weeks is an impossibly long time for someone who cannot think ahead and cannot remember ****, so like a little child who thinks he's hiding when he covers his eyes he figures "two weeks" means never.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 12:37 AM   #362
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I saw Michael Cohen interviewed today and he said Trump would just come up with the value of his buildings by basically making it up without appraisals or any documentation. He'd pull numbers of his net worth out of his ass and then tell Cohen and his CFO, Weisselberg, to go make the documents reflect that imaginary number. Because the Trump Org. is a private business, he didn't have to prove anything like non-privately held businesses do.

He also said the mindset of the entire Trump family is that they are above the law.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 09:20 AM   #363
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

No link as I didn't read the article but I saw a related headline today that he/they vastly overinflated the value of one of the UK golf properties... again, for tax or loan/investment purposes (up or down, depended on who's asking).
I presumed it was reportage on confirmation for one of the similarly mis-valued properties on that bar chart from two or three years ago. Anyone got that handy?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 05:21 PM   #364
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
No link as I didn't read the article but I saw a related headline today that he/they vastly overinflated the value of one of the UK golf properties... again, for tax or loan/investment purposes (up or down, depended on who's asking).
I presumed it was reportage on confirmation for one of the similarly mis-valued properties on that bar chart from two or three years ago. Anyone got that handy?
I'm assuming the antecedent of "that" is this bar chart?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2300-trumpvalue-golf-chart-0819.jpg (120.3 KB, 30 views)
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th January 2022, 07:53 PM   #365
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Yup... that's the one.

Looking at it, I see it's only a few of his domestic properties. But it's that same behavior.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 20th January 2022 at 07:54 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:10 AM   #366
TofuFighter
Illuminator

From trump's website, his last few 'statements'. Surprisingly nothing about the SC decision to release WH docs to the congressional committee investigating the Jan 6 events.

01/17/22 : Will Morning Joe be canceled? He and Mika’s ratings are very low—they are having an extremely hard time finding an audience to listen to the Fake News they spurn. Losing them would be very sad—hope it doesn’t happen! On another front, looks like Unjoy Reid, the racist commentator on MSDNC (MSNBC), is toast. Her stupidity is only surpassed by her absolute lack of television persona. She never had it, and never will. The only thing she’s good at is spewing racist hate but obviously, no one is listening!

01/19/22 : How come Biden picks a reporter off a list, in all cases softball questions, and then reads the answer? I would never have been allowed to get away with that, nor would I have to!

01/20/22 : President Biden admitted yesterday, in his own very different way, that the 2020 election may very well have been a fraud, which I know it was. I'm sure his representatives, who work so hard to make it look legit, are not happy.

I include arbitrary nonsense like his statement from the 17th as a reminder that this is trump, and this is what plays on his mind.

Also, when accessing his page, the first thing I was greeted with was an offer to buy "Let's go Brandon" doormats.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:28 AM   #367
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
From trump's website, his last few 'statements'. Surprisingly nothing about the SC decision to release WH docs to the congressional committee investigating the Jan 6 events.

01/17/22 : Will Morning Joe be canceled? He and Mika’s ratings are very low—they are having an extremely hard time finding an audience to listen to the Fake News they spurn. Losing them would be very sad—hope it doesn’t happen! On another front, looks like Unjoy Reid, the racist commentator on MSDNC (MSNBC), is toast. Her stupidity is only surpassed by her absolute lack of television persona. She never had it, and never will. The only thing she’s good at is spewing racist hate but obviously, no one is listening!

01/19/22 : How come Biden picks a reporter off a list, in all cases softball questions, and then reads the answer? I would never have been allowed to get away with that, nor would I have to!

01/20/22 : President Biden admitted yesterday, in his own very different way, that the 2020 election may very well have been a fraud, which I know it was. I'm sure his representatives, who work so hard to make it look legit, are not happy.

I include arbitrary nonsense like his statement from the 17th as a reminder that this is trump, and this is what plays on his mind.

Also, when accessing his page, the first thing I was greeted with was an offer to buy "Let's go Brandon" doormats.
He's a 3 yr. old toddler in the body of an orange old man.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:30 AM   #368
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
He's a 3 yr. old toddler in the body of an orange old man.
And 40%+ of Americans want him to be President.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:32 AM   #369
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'd say 40%+ don't want a Democrat in that position. I'm sure a lot of them could do without Trump.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:43 AM   #370
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I'd say 40%+ don't want a Democrat in that position. I'm sure a lot of them could do without Trump.
Did you see President Trump's approval rating ?

A rock solid 40%+

40%+ want President Trump, the proportion of people who are Anti-Trump but pro-Republican is so small it's hardly even a rounding error any more.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:47 AM   #371
Warp12
Banned

Did you see President Trump's approval rating ?

A rock solid 40%+

40%+ want President Trump, the proportion of people who are Anti-Trump but pro-Republican is so small it's hardly even a rounding error any more.
Do you have a link? I can't find a specific article on that. I see plenty of articles about how Trump and Biden stack up against each other right now...but that doesn't indicate anything but a lot of people hating Biden.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 02:52 AM   #372
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Do you have a link? I can't find a specific article on that. I see plenty of articles about how Trump and Biden stack up against each other right now...but that doesn't indicate anything but a lot of people hating Biden.
I was referring to President Trump's approval rating while in office.

The fact that the Republican Party have done nothing to distance themselves from him, and indeed have been cosying up even closer, demonstrates that they consider him a considerable election asset.
Old 21st January 2022, 02:58 AM   #373
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Scary, isn't it?
Old 21st January 2022, 03:15 AM   #374
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Scary, isn't it?
Yeah, then again as a British person I've got no reason to be superior, more than zero people still think Boris Johnson is fit to be Prime Minister.
Old 21st January 2022, 08:42 AM   #375
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

He also said the mindset of the entire Trump family is that they are above the law.
I think there is a pretty good chance that they might defend themselves by saying”you have let us do this stuff for decades so it is unfair that you are trying to prosecute us now.”

From what I see, it is far more intense, I would say that 35% of the country believe he is the only man who can save America.
Old 21st January 2022, 09:08 AM   #376
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I think there is a pretty good chance that they might defend themselves by saying”you have let us do this stuff for decades so it is unfair that you are trying to prosecute us now.”
Yep. "This is the way business is always done."
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 21st January 2022, 12:01 PM   #377
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, then again as a British person I've got no reason to be superior, more than zero people still think Boris Johnson is fit to be Prime Minister.
At least you have mechanisms to get rid of him. We have nothing like a vote of no confidence.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 06:56 AM   #378
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Trump is planning to have an excellent Sring!

https://twitter.com/janemarielynch/s...711935491?s=21
Old 22nd January 2022, 07:06 AM   #379
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

anyone know who "The Honorable Kellyanne Conway" person is?

I know of a "Lying POS Kellyanne Conway", but no honorable one.
Old 22nd January 2022, 07:16 AM   #380
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
anyone know who "The Honorable Kellyanne Conway" person is?

I know of a "Lying POS Kellyanne Conway", but no honorable one.
Was surprised it was an actual title in the US, it seems her gaining it is the norm, from Wikipedia:

...Members of the White House staff at the rank of special assistant, deputy assistant, assistant to the president, and Counselor to the President are accorded the title. Officials nominated to high office but not yet confirmed (e.g., commissioner-designate) and interim or acting officials are generally not accorded the title "the Honorable", except for Cabinet-level officials.[14]...
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 07:51 AM   #381
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post

He meant "Schwing!". It's going to be one of those kinds of retreats.
Old 22nd January 2022, 10:43 AM   #382
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Was surprised it was an actual title in the US, it seems her gaining it is the norm, from Wikipedia:

...Members of the White House staff at the rank of special assistant, deputy assistant, assistant to the president, and Counselor to the President are accorded the title. Officials nominated to high office but not yet confirmed (e.g., commissioner-designate) and interim or acting officials are generally not accorded the title "the Honorable", except for Cabinet-level officials.[14]...
LoL... If that becomes general knowledge (I don't believe it is ATM) some 80% of T's top appointment are going to band together to get that last part changed.

Hell... most will just appropriate the title/honorific anyway.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 22nd January 2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 22nd January 2022, 12:34 PM   #383
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Hannity-Trump interview analysis

Quote:
On Thursday night, former President Donald Trump appeared on Sean Hannity's Fox show. And the two men had the following exchange:

Hannity: "I want America to do well. I really do, with all my heart. And I -- the only way that I see that he could change course is, as The Wall Street Journal pointed out today, rightly so -- there's no course correction with [President Joe Biden]. He seems locked into every one of these failed policies. So, you know, you know, you keep banging your head against the wall. Why would you expect a different result?"

Trump: "So, we would have had the wall completed in three weeks. It was largely completed. We did almost 500 miles of wall in the southern border. It was really working. It really had an impact. And we were working along with Mexico, and Guatemala, Honduras. We were -- El Salvador -- all of these countries we were working."

Before I go any further, let me make this clear: This is a REAL exchange that occurred between the former president and a prominent cable network host on planet Earth. (And, yes, I double-checked because it reads like a bad parody.) (Cillizza)

Last edited by alfaniner; 22nd January 2022 at 12:35 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 01:07 PM   #384
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
This must be one of those Mandela Effect things, in which the Trump who appeared came from a different timeline.

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 01:08 PM   #385
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's reply isn't addressing a thing Hannity said. Trump just says whatever is in his alternate reality head which is "alternative facts".
Old 22nd January 2022, 01:51 PM   #386
Lurch
Master Poster

The 8th last word Hannity said was one of the 'key words' in Dump's skull cave: "Wall." And, like the inevitable hammer strike after the trigger is pulled, the canned response about "wall" was duly vomited forth from that vile face anus.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2022, 01:57 PM   #387
Random
Illuminator

Trump's reply isn't addressing a thing Hannity said. Trump just says whatever is in his alternate reality head which is "alternative facts".
Sure he is. Hannity said the word "wall", when he said "banging your head against the wall". That was justification for Trump to ramble on for over two minutes about the border wall, North Korea, drug smuggling, etc.

eta - ninja'ed
Old 22nd January 2022, 03:43 PM   #388
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
The 8th last word Hannity said was one of the 'key words' in Dump's skull cave: "Wall." And, like the inevitable hammer strike after the trigger is pulled, the canned response about "wall" was duly vomited forth from that vile face anus.
Originally Posted by Random View Post
Sure he is. Hannity said the word "wall", when he said "banging your head against the wall". That was justification for Trump to ramble on for over two minutes about the border wall, North Korea, drug smuggling, etc.

eta - ninja'ed
I understand what you're saying as mocking Trump, but Trump still wasn't addressing what Hannity said.

Speaking of Hannity, some of the new email releases are showing just how much Hannity influenced what Trump and his crew were doing.

Quote:
Quote:
The opinion host told then-White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany — now Hannity's colleague at Fox — how to execute what the committee described as a "five point approach" to level with former President Donald Trump about the severity of political violence following the January 6 insurrection.

"1 - No more stolen election talk," Hannity texted McEnany. "2 - Yes, impeachment and 25th amendment are real, and many people will quit."
Quote:
"Love that," McEnany responded. "Thank you. That is the playbook. I will help reinforce."

Hannity added another piece of advice for McEnany, telling her to keep Trump away from bad influences feeding him misinformation about election fraud.

"Key now. No more crazy people," Hannity said.

"Yes 100%," McEnany replied.
Quote:
While Hannity condemned the violence on the day of the Capitol riot, his behind the scenes role in advising the Trump White House has become one of the major components of exhibits revealed by the House committee.

A timeline of Hannity's previously disclosed text messages shows the TV host giving specific advice to former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows about how Trump should shape his messaging surrounding his supporters storming the Capitol.
Old 22nd January 2022, 11:35 PM   #389
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

It's like one of those AI chat bots that doesn't understand what you are saying so it just picks out a word it recognizes and then spits out things it has recorded with no consideration of whether they are relevant or accurate.

I am the President. Beep. Boop.
Old 23rd January 2022, 07:23 AM   #390
Lurch
Master Poster

The overarching matter to me is the degree of influence over POTUS and staff exerted by a lying propagandist. How many times did Hannity put diaper Donnie to bed over their nighttime phone calls?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2022, 08:21 PM   #391
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

It does seem like a bad parody.

His mind really is that bad.

I hope whoever is teaching “Trump studies” at university 10 years from now uses this clip to show that all the Republicans knew he was a child-like idiot with the attention span of a goldfish.
Old 23rd January 2022, 08:26 PM   #392
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
It's like one of those AI chat bots that doesn't understand what you are saying so it just picks out a word it recognizes and then spits out things it has recorded with no consideration of whether they are relevant or accurate.

I am the President. Beep. Boop.
I fear we are now at a point that if the Dems said, “let’s add a requirement that people running for president have to pass a Turing Test” the Republicans would indignantly be against it.
Old 23rd January 2022, 08:27 PM   #393
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
It does seem like a bad parody.

His mind really is that bad.

I hope whoever is teaching “Trump studies” at university 10 years from now uses this clip to show that all the Republicans knew he was a child-like idiot with the attention span of a goldfish.
I've said a couple times from a few years ago that poli-sci classes in 20 years or so are going to get much more interesting. I can only hope , as you say, that the truth has had a chance to percolate to the surface by then.
But we still have St. Ronnie, so who knows.

Old 23rd January 2022, 09:21 PM   #394
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I am still amazed, not at the continually emerging stories of just how stupid and crazy and delusional T**** was, but how unreflective and unrepentant the myriad of now-ex aides and assistants and whatnot are, happily monetizing their memories of his demonstrable incapacity while seemingly forgetting that they were the instruments it wielded against the world. They're his mini-me's, echoing "who knew, who knew" as they try desperately to disentangle themselves from the wreckage.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2022, 09:38 PM   #395
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I am still amazed, not at the continually emerging stories of just how stupid and crazy and delusional T**** was, but how unreflective and unrepentant the myriad of now-ex aides and assistants and whatnot are, happily monetizing their memories of his demonstrable incapacity while seemingly forgetting that they were the instruments it wielded against the world. They're his mini-me's, echoing "who knew, who knew" as they try desperately to disentangle themselves from the wreckage.
I'm not seeing that many turning away just yet, far too few in fact.
This is what the GOP has been building toward for 40 years, not as a coherent plan but in drips and drabs. A bit here, a bit there... opportunistically. Building a head of steam.
And now they're there. Tribal politics at it's unhealthiest.
Most aren't anywhere near backing down.

Old 23rd January 2022, 10:19 PM   #396
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
I'm not seeing that many turning away just yet, far too few in fact.
This is what the GOP has been building toward for 40 years, not as a coherent plan but in drips and drabs. A bit here, a bit there... opportunistically. Building a head of steam.
And now they're there. Tribal politics at it's unhealthiest.
Most aren't anywhere near backing down.
Of course we only hear about the ones who come out but there seem to be a growing number. I imagine it depends on how much money the publishers are offering.

Old 23rd January 2022, 11:51 PM   #397
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Of course we only hear about the ones who come out but there seem to be a growing number. I imagine it depends on how much money the publishers are offering.
And what the subject of the tell-all book should be.

Nobody wants to read about Donny's "successes". Everyone lived through that and knows what really happened. Especially, nobody wants to write that book - it would be single-sided pamphlet at best that nobody would pay money for. So as a "best-seller", it would be a fairly solid flop for a publishing house.

However the dirt-dishing tell-all is a hot field right now. And there's so much source material to work with. Already we are seeing close associates trying to out-dish on each other for the hot publishing dollars. Even if Don Jr buys the lot to stop it being circulated, them's sales!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2022, 03:02 AM   #398
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post

"the Fake News they spurn" did he mean 'spurn' there? That seems a bit odd...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th January 2022, 03:05 AM   #399
Warp12
Banned

In the midst of this massive **** storm, we have a new book by Trump:

THE GREATEST SPEECHES OF PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP

Quote:
The ultimate collection of President Donald J. Trump's most important speeches and words to the Nation, from his Campaign Announcement at Trump Tower to his surprise Presidential Victory Speech, to his speech to the People of Poland in Warsaw, to his Salute to America at Mount Rushmore and his Farewell Address to the People of the United States and the World.
https://www.amazon.com/GREATEST-SPEE.../dp/1630062170

The best news? It is hardcover, so you can cherish the memories for years to come.

I'm not quite sure how they came up with 288 pages of material, though...

Last edited by Warp12; 24th January 2022 at 03:16 AM.
Old 24th January 2022, 03:12 AM   #400
TofuFighter
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
"the Fake News they spurn" did he mean 'spurn' there? That seems a bit odd...
Most likely it was supposed to be 'spawn' or 'spew', but as is typical with any trump statements, there are errors. I don't believe that all of the errors are really errors. I think some of them are deliberately mistyped in order to lure people into pointing-and-laughing and feeding the "they're elitist" and "we're persecuted" narratives.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics