IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 05:16 PM   #41
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
It's definitely more balanced and objective than someone hypothesizing about forced vaccinations at the hands of armed government agents.
Apparently you fail to realize that some forum members have endorsed exactly such action.

But, whatever you say.

Last edited by Warp12; 13th December 2021 at 05:42 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2021, 05:18 PM   #42
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Apparently you fail to realize that some forum members have endorse exactly such action.

But, whatever you say.
How does that make it more plausible?
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2021, 06:10 PM   #43
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Also “Rise of the Nazis”, from PBS.

https://www.pbs.org/show/rise-nazis/

May be free for viewing via PBS or Amazon Prime.

Of note, the gradual slide from a Democratic Republic to brutal dictatorship. Reminiscent of the apocryphal frog being slowly boiled.

NOT hyperbole, but it’s a maxim that while history doesn’t necessarily repeat itself, it often rhymes.
The 1997 BBC series The Nazis: A Warning from History is good too

https://watchdocumentaries.com/the-n...-from-history/
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2021, 07:30 PM   #44
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently you fail to realize that some forum members have endorsed exactly such action.

But, whatever you say.
You may be right, but I don't recall anyone advocating forced vaccination by armed government agents.

Even if you are right to object to enforced vaccination by employers, it's not the same thing.

By the way, since I'm here, I am eagerly awaiting your answer on just what Kamala Harris is a token of. You can't be a token anything unless you're a token something, and if you're going to use that word, I think it fair to ask what that something is.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2021, 08:44 PM   #45
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Thanks! I’ll check it out.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2021, 11:25 PM   #46
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
If I were a Democrat it would be my biggest hope.

Then you could maybe find a decent candidate.
Don't worry, the DP is already preparing to force some useless nearly-unelectable schlump on us whom the voters even in his/her own party don't want, again, probably with another round of mindless mantras about how the most nearly unelectable type is the most electable and up is down and day is night and quartz is rabbit.

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I don't recall anyone advocating forced vaccination by armed government agents.
If somebody on the forum said it somewhere one time, it's what "the forum" thinks.

Individual/personal choice or lack thereof doesn't apply to society-level actions or inactions.

Last edited by Delvo; 13th December 2021 at 11:27 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2021, 11:26 PM   #47
Delvo

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

The Nazi Party came to power by legitimate election. That already makes them, right from the start, one step better than what the Republicans are trying to do.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 13th December 2021, 11:31 PM   #48
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
The Nazi Party came to power by legitimate election. That already makes them, right from the start, one step better than what the Republicans are trying to do.
Incorrect.
They never won a majority of seats. They were just part of an anti-communist coalition. They then used intimidation, force and bribery to bring the other parties under their control m
Old 14th December 2021, 06:07 AM   #49
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Incorrect.
They never won a majority of seats. They were just part of an anti-communist coalition. They then used intimidation, force and bribery to bring the other parties under their control m
That only brings the Nazis down to the level of today's GOP.

The main difference here is that the Nazis didn't rig the election beforehand. Other than their crude street brawling, they did strive to win over voters legitimately. If we restrict to the period up to ballots being cast, the Nazis in one respect at least were arguably better than today's Republicons.

Now, contributing to this difference, to be sure, is the differentiating fact that the Nazis were then just a-birthing, while our cabal of traitors today have been a political force for generations. The latter is in a far better position of power to strike from within.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 06:10 AM   #50
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

No they didn't. Watch the docco
Andy_Ross is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 07:32 AM   #51
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Don't worry, the DP is already preparing to force some useless nearly-unelectable schlump on us whom the voters even in his/her own party don't want, again, probably with another round of mindless mantras about how the most nearly unelectable type is the most electable and up is down and day is night and quartz is rabbit.
Perhaps not.
Perhaps they’ve seen the writing on the wall and know that the best approach will be to nominate a pig-ignorant clown with the manners and temperament of a selfish toddler, maybe even with some sort of malignant personality disorder which will make him unable to even understand concepts like loyalty, sacrifice, integrity, morality, equality, and love of nation.

Sometimes you just have to go with what works (which is ironic because he never did any actually work).

Of course, at this point most people would say, “you’re never going to out-Trump Trump.” Yes! That’s true. So the only solution is to pay him to become a Democrat. I’m thinking $800 million ought to be enough to get him to deny he was ever a Republican.
Old 14th December 2021, 08:56 AM   #52
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

disagree.
plenty of Republicans have out-Trumped Trump, because unlike Trump, they are not in for the money only.
Old 14th December 2021, 09:36 AM   #53
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh not only is "Out Trumping Trump" possible it's a near metaphysical certainty.

Since Trump won't like face any consequences for anything a Trump who isn't an idiot running on high octane id is a terrifying certainty.
Old 14th December 2021, 09:54 AM   #54
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Perhaps not.
Perhaps they’ve seen the writing on the wall and know that the best approach will be to nominate a pig-ignorant clown with the manners and temperament of a selfish toddler, maybe even with some sort of malignant personality disorder which will make him unable to even understand concepts like loyalty, sacrifice, integrity, morality, equality, and love of nation.

Sometimes you just have to go with what works (which is ironic because he never did any actually work).

Of course, at this point most people would say, “you’re never going to out-Trump Trump.” Yes! That’s true. So the only solution is to pay him to become a Democrat. I’m thinking $800 million ought to be enough to get him to deny he was ever a Republican.
IMO trying to out-Trump President Trump wouldn't work for the Democrats because that kind of character simply wouldn't appeal.

IMO Democrats (and the same is true for centre-leftists in the UK) want to be wooed and wowed by a rockstar-like character. That's why Bill Clinton and Obama (and Blair) got elected. They don't want a boring but efficient administrator, hence the failures of Hillary, Gore, Dukakis and Kerry.

It's a tricky one, because a vapid celebrity wouldn't work either, it has to be someone with real gravitas to get them to consider to vote for them and then the wow factor to actually get them out there on the day.

I don't know US politics well enough to know if there's someone out there who fits the bill, who wouldn't immediately get pummelled by the media. Of course expectations would be so high that the campaign would be guaranteed to fail.

The closest we have in the UK is possibly Ed Balls or David Miliband, but they've both been out of politics for years now.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 10:18 AM   #55
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Well, much as I'd like it to, the Nazi take-over is hardly comparable to the T**** case. In 1930(ish) the German democracy is only about a decade old and very fragile. Germany herself was devastated after loosing a war.

USA today has a well-consolidated democracy that has been in place for a couple of centuries, a solid economy, and a prime international position.

This is not to say that the T***ists may not do considerable damage, but notice how they are indeed stumped by courts and democratic institutions. The Jan 6 attack was poorly organized, and worse executed. If not for it's implications, it would be quite ridiculous.

My bet is that US democracy will prevail, but it can get nasty on the way.

Hans
Old 14th December 2021, 10:40 AM   #56
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, but a token is a token of something, or the word is woefully misapplied. So, what do you claim she is a token of?
C'mon now. Racists do not like it when they are caught being racist.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 10:42 AM   #57
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

But, whatever you say.
But if it didn't happen, they weren't serious about it, right?
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 12:06 PM   #58
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
C'mon now. Racists do not like it when they are caught being racist.
True enough but I'm planning to hammer on this one until an answer comes.

How about it, Warp12? What is Kamala Harris a "token" of?

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 01:12 PM   #59
Warp12
Banned

She is obviously a token minority, chosen by the Dems in a predictable attempt to attract minority (and female) voters. They couldn't resist their virtue-signaling ways, yet again. Even after her horrible performance in the primaries, and even with her practically implying that Biden was a racist.

Now her approval ratings are predictably garbage. Dem logic is probably telling them that they should have went with a transgender Native American dwarf, instead.

Did you really think you had come up with some sort of hard-hitting question?
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 01:15 PM   #60
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

She is obviously a token minority, chosen by the Dems in a predictable attempt to attract minority (and female) voters. They couldn't resist their virtue-signaling ways, yet again. Even after her horrible performance in the primaries, and even with her practically implying that Biden was a racist.

Now her approval ratings are predictably garbage. Dem logic is probably telling them that they should have went with a transgender Native American dwarf, instead.

Hard to believe that Republicans have difficulty attracting Back and minority voters.
johnny karate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 01:21 PM   #61
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Hard to believe that Republicans have difficulty attracting Back and minority voters.
They tend to not see the glaring faults of their "logic" when they try to explain why they aren't racist...
Old 14th December 2021, 01:24 PM   #62
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

*Gets out his script for the "Left only knows how the play the race card, ergo I'm not really racist when I'm being racist" passion play even though I have it memorized*
Old 14th December 2021, 01:24 PM   #63
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Well in part they do pick their candidates for such reasons, I mean can you think of any reason a total idiot could be picked for the senate like Tommy Tuberville?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 01:27 PM   #64
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah that's what broke the GOP. There's enough "Okay with racism" white people to win elections anymore. Now they have to appeal to people they've spent hundreds of years demonizing and they are so bad at it because they don't actually believe it.
Old 14th December 2021, 01:32 PM   #65
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Well in part they do pick their candidates for such reasons, I mean can you think of any reason a total idiot could be picked for the senate like Tommy Tuberville?
Remember when the GOP picked a totally unqualified woman for vice presidential candidate just because she was a woman and lost because of it?
Old 14th December 2021, 01:42 PM   #66
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"This is the first day in 8 years that we have a VP who hasn't shot his friend in the face with a shotgun, make him apologize for it, and that being the least evil thing they've done." Someone on the internet after the first Obama/Biden inauguration.
Old 14th December 2021, 03:07 PM   #67
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I don't know US politics well enough to know if there's someone out there who fits the bill, who wouldn't immediately get pummelled by the media.
There is, but she won't run.

I've said this before.
Old 14th December 2021, 05:33 PM   #68
Delvo

IMO trying to out-Trump President Trump wouldn't work for the Democrats because that kind of character simply wouldn't appeal.

IMO Democrats (and the same is true for centre-leftists in the UK) want to be wooed and wowed by a rockstar-like character... They don't want a boring but efficient administrator, hence the failures of Hillary, Gore, Dukakis and Kerry.
This country's single most popular politician has for a long time been Bernie. I don't know by what definition of "rock star" he would qualify, but he would at least have been non-boring. He's mostly just a likeable guy who's been consistently pushing for policies people want.

That's why Bill Clinton and Obama (and Blair) got elected.
They sounded like Bernie while campaigning. Bill Clinton did literally play music on a late-night talk show, too, but I think it was jazz or R&B, not rock.

If Biden runs again and loses, though, it won't be because he was boring. It'll be because he made nearly no attempt at doing a single thing that would have done the country any good and showed that his campaign was nearly all lies.

I don't know US politics well enough to know if there's someone out there who fits the bill, who wouldn't immediately get pummelled by the media.
I presume there are a bunch who just aren't generally known yet, but going from unknown to known is hard. (Especially with your own party's power structure working against you every step of the way.)
Old 14th December 2021, 07:33 PM   #69
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Well, much as I'd like it to, the Nazi take-over is hardly comparable to the T**** case. In 1930(ish) the German democracy is only about a decade old and very fragile. Germany herself was devastated after loosing a war.

USA today has a well-consolidated democracy that has been in place for a couple of centuries, a solid economy, and a prime international position.

This is not to say that the T***ists may not do considerable damage, but notice how they are indeed stumped by courts and democratic institutions. The Jan 6 attack was poorly organized, and worse executed. If not for it's implications, it would be quite ridiculous.

My bet is that US democracy will prevail, but it can get nasty on the way.

Hans
Never bet against the capacity for human self destruction. Every civilization has an expiration date.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 07:41 PM   #70
Warp12
Banned

Bruto..oh, Bruto. Your question has been answered. But you, as expected, are nowhere to be found.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th December 2021 at 07:45 PM.
Old 14th December 2021, 08:08 PM   #71
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

No, I just wanted you to say it outright.

Old 14th December 2021, 08:12 PM   #72
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post

Hans
I know you are not a native English speaker so I'm offering this in full acknowledgement of that fact and only trying to be helpful. This is a common spelling mistake among native English speakers.

'Loose' means 'not tight' as in "the screw is loose."
'Lose', with one 'o' means 'to not win' as in " Germany herself was devastated after losing the war."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 14th December 2021, 08:25 PM   #73
Delvo

No, I just wanted you to say it outright.
Now, does anybody want to present an argument that it was inaccurate? Being stated by The Enemy is not disproof.
Old 14th December 2021, 08:28 PM   #74
Delvo

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
...or, as a slightly archaic verb, "release; unleash"... maybe even "let slip", as in "let slip the dogs of war".
Old 15th December 2021, 06:37 AM   #75
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I've been saying for the better part of a year now that the US is sleepwalking into its own brand of Autocracy/Fascism. What I see going on brings me back to my first reading of the 'Rise' portion of The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich.
Back on this point…

Our government is dependent on “checks and balances” of the three branches to keep it balanced. Fascism usually calls for the stripping two of the three of power, until there’s unfettered rule by one branch.

That’s where history is rhyming. Strip the Legislative Branch of its power by simply ignoring its investigative and enforcement powers. We see this already with the blatant ignoring of lawful subpoenas. Strip the Judicial Branch of its power by delaying tactics* and stacking the courts with ideologues and cronies. Manipulate elections to get the desired results regardless of the will of the people. All this accompanied by an opposition that doesn’t see the threat as serious as it is until too late.

It’s a well known playbook and a clear and present danger. Let’s hope it gets nipped in the bud. I’m not overly hopeful

*Classic example: violations of the Emoluments Clause, delayed, delayed and delayed until the case had to be dismissed as moot. Makes a mockery of the Rule of Law.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 15th December 2021 at 07:10 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th December 2021, 07:17 AM   #76
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I know you are not a native English speaker so I'm offering this in full acknowledgement of that fact and only trying to be helpful. This is a common spelling mistake among native English speakers.

'Lose', with one 'o' means 'to not win' as in " Germany herself was devastated after losing the war."
Yess, thanks. I do know the difference, but ..... ya-

Hans
Old 15th December 2021, 09:44 AM   #77
eerok
Quixoticist

Now, does anybody want to present an argument that it was inaccurate? Being stated by The Enemy is not disproof.
I think the point is that it's lame whataboutism in a thread about Trump, when Pence was chosen as a token white bread fundie.
Old 15th December 2021, 09:49 AM   #78
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

They just rotate through the same half dozen troll arguments.

Whatabouta, you're being dramatic, "no I totally have to talk about this broader concept first", straight up lying, false obtuseness, wash rinse repeat.
Old 15th December 2021, 10:35 AM   #79
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I think the point is that it's lame whataboutism in a thread about Trump, when Pence was chosen as a token white bread fundie.
That seems like an exceedingly oblivious statement, even for this place. I am not the one who brought Harris, and her viability, into this discussion.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My biggest concern is Biden kicking the bucket before the 2024 election. Who would they get to fill that void? VP Harris is not a likely winner.
Old 15th December 2021, 11:00 AM   #80
Susheel
Illuminator

That seems like an exceedingly oblivious statement, even for this place. I am not the one who brought Harris, and her viability, into this discussion.
Interesting tactic there...insist that you are not the one who originally brought something up, while at the same time carrying it forward and then embellishing it with your own little fantasies, to try and shoehorn ot into your larger narrative.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics