IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 7th January 2022, 11:17 PM   #281
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
An old contractor trick: close doors, open under a new name

https://apnews.com/article/business-...aff0f14824fcb4
Quote:
He told The Associated Press he’s not trying to circumvent the court fines and public records orders,
Uh-huh. And I'm secretly married to George Clooney.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th January 2022, 11:21 PM   #282
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump's base is generally big enough to win Primaries - gerrymandering takes care of it the rest.
Old 8th January 2022, 05:18 AM   #283
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
An old contractor trick: close doors, open under a new name

https://apnews.com/article/business-...aff0f14824fcb4
And a classic quote "...The choice has been made to try what can legally be gotten away with rather than what is ethical or right..."
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 09:08 AM   #284
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
That particular article has the following :

Former White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said Thursday that more than a dozen of her former Trump administration colleagues plan to meet next week to try and stop former President Donald Trump as he continues to "manipulate people and divide our country."

I'm kind of split on this sort of thing....

On one hand, it is good to see opposition to Trump growing, and including people who were former associates (so you can say that its more than just "the libs" who think Trump is a problem.)

On the other hand, I sometimes want to smack these type of people around. They knew what Trump was like even before the 2016 election. They knew he was a racist. They knew he had anti-democracy/authoritarian leanings (telling his cult members he would support them if they attacked protesters, saying that he might not accept the election results if he lost. etc.) And many of them continued to work for him even past the 2020 election... after he had tried to blackmail a foreign government to help get elected, after he had protesters tear-gassed for a photo-op, etc. They looked at all that, and decided "yup that's the guy we want as president". And now, after they gave their stamp of approval to Trump for all those years, they pretend they are upset just because he continues doing pretty much the same stuff post-2021 that he was doing for the past half-decade (that they thought was perfectly acceptable).
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with this. This is where consequences for actions would have an effect. The worst part is they are a multiplier; the likes of Hannity et al at Fox news play the same game but affect a lot more people than nutty congressmen.
Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I agree they're very smackable but there they are, like it or not, and if they, owing to their disreputable past, can help dissuade those who have not given up the lies and the scams, then I'm quite willing to forego the smacks and wish them bon voyage. Do the right thing and we'll worry about why later.

It's too late to wish they had once been better. Now it's better late than never.

What concerns me more is the "master manipulator." part. Where the blame falls to trump and they were just poor dupes. Really, grade school taunts and tantrums just sucked you in? Your sons, daughters, nieces, nephews and grandkids must have you wrapped around their fingers then. Heck, just the kids in the neighborhood must play you for a chump as well.

As noted up thread, by myself and others, most of the people I know who support trump simply do so because they're basically scared ******** of the other side. So certainly a lot of manipulation going on but definitely not the doing of trump, that's just the current branding. So it's keep the manipulation but just dump the current branding and pretend that was the "master manipulator."

Though, I certainly do agree with bruto that as long as people can be convinced to turn away from the BS rhetoric, that's something. More power (for that) to them and if they can get some to step away, and not just turn away, as well, that's worth waiting to see.

Last edited by The Man; 9th January 2022 at 09:10 AM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 09:22 AM   #285
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
trump's slew of 'statements' yesterday came in tweet-like fashion. All four of them basically rehashed his usual gripes, and he is definitely not letting go of his 2020 election complaints. The closer it gets to the next set of elections, the more the GOP will fret about trump clinging to his claiMs of RigGing.

You can find the original statements on this page. I've spoilered this because reading the rank nonsense he produces can be quite aggravating. I do wonder how many people read these.

Due to inept leadership that gave us open borders, COVID incompetence, loss of energy independence, a military in chaos, rampant inflation, corrupt elections, and lack of world standing, our Nation, perhaps for the first time, has lost its confidence!

Biden, who is destroying our Nation with insane policies of open Borders, corrupt Elections, disastrous energy policies, unconstitutional mandates, and devastating school closures, used my name today to try to further divide America. This political theater is all just a distraction for the fact Biden has completely and totally failed. Our Country no longer has Borders, has totally and completely lost control of Covid (record numbers!), is no longer Energy Independent, Inflation is rampant, our Military is in chaos, and our exit, or surrender, from Afghanistan was perhaps the most embarrassing day in the long and distinguished history of the United States—and so much more. Why is it that the Unselect Committee of totally partisan political hacks, whose judgment has long ago been made, not discussing the rigged Presidential Election of 2020? It’s because they don’t have the answers or justifications for what happened. They got away with something, and it is leading to our Country’s destruction. They want all conversation concerning the Election “Canceled.” Just look at the numbers, they speak for themselves. They are not justifiable, so the complicit media just calls it the Big Lie, when in actuality the Big Lie was the Election itself.

The Democrats want to own this day of January 6th so they can stoke fears and divide America. I say, let them have it because America sees through theirs lies and polarizations.

Biden is working hard to try and deflect the incompetent job he is doing, and has done, on the horrible Afghanistan withdrawal (surrender), the Borders, COVID, Inflation, loss of Energy Independence, and much more. Everything he touches turns to failure. That’s what you get when you have a rigged Election.

To watch Biden speaking is very hurtful to many people. They're the ones who tried to stop the peaceful transfer with a rigged election. Just look at the numbers. Does anybody really think that Biden beat Obama with the Black population in select Swing State cities, but nowhere else? That he would lose 18 out of 19 bellwether counties, and 27 out of 27 “toss up” House races, but somehow miraculously receive the most votes in American history with no coattails? That he would lose Florida, Ohio, and Iowa and win, even though it has never been done before?

They spread a “web of lies” about me and Russia for 4 years to try to overturn the 2016 election, and now they lie about how they interfered in the 2020 Election, too. Big Tech was used illegally.

Where did all those votes show up from in Georgia, where it was just revealed they sold ballots for $10 a piece, or in Pennsylvania, and Arizona, and Wisconsin. He acts like he's aggrieved, but we're the ones who were aggrieved and America is suffering because of it with poisonous Borders, record Inflation, a humiliating surrender in Afghanistan, $5 a gallon gas and higher, empty stock shelves, and rampant crime. America is a laughingstock stock of the world, and it's all because of the real insurrection, which took place on November 3rd, but this is an election year and MAGA Republicans should get elected and work with me to fix this horror that Joe Biden and the Democrats have brought us.
Never forget the crime of the 2020 Presidential Election. Never give up!

"They're the ones who tried to stop the peaceful transfer with a rigged election"
Well, come on, what country would want to be "a laughingstock stock of the world"? That's like exponentially bad since it is "stock"2.
Old 9th January 2022, 03:48 PM   #286
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump's base is generally big enough to win Primaries - gerrymandering takes care of it the rest.

That depends on if it's Trump against one other candidate or 12-15 other candidates who all refuse to drop out, like last time.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 07:01 PM   #287
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
That depends on if it's Trump against one other candidate or 12-15 other candidates who all refuse to drop out, like last time.
If Trump runs again, no one will run against him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 12:37 AM   #288
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Well, it looks like Chris Christie might. And maybe Larry Hogan.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...nce/ar-AAQM51z
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/...-ruled-it-out/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 01:00 AM   #289
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 10th January 2022, 01:23 AM   #290
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
IMO at least 50% of Republicans are ardent Trump supporters so it doesn't matter who runs against him if he chooses to run in 2024, he'll get the nomination.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 01:56 AM   #291
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I doubt more than 1/4th of Republicans would like a second Trump term, but there is literally no alternative in the GOP, and they would rather have an actual Skunk in the White House as long as it's being identified as Republican than any Democract.
Old 10th January 2022, 02:13 AM   #292
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
IMO at least 50% of Republicans are ardent Trump supporters so it doesn't matter who runs against him if he chooses to run in 2024, he'll get the nomination.
I agree.
Old 10th January 2022, 02:19 AM   #293
Warp12
Banned

I doubt more than 1/4th of Republicans would like a second Trump term, but there is literally no alternative in the GOP, and they would rather have an actual Skunk in the White House as long as it's being identified as Republican than any Democract.
Well, that is a conundrum, isn't it? A drawback of highly partisan politics...one which affects both parties. I've known plenty of people who vote strictly along party lines. I bet we have quite a few in the forum.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 02:27 AM   #294
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt more than 1/4th of Republicans would like a second Trump term,
I disagree. President Trump enjoyed exceptionally high approval ratings while in office and has continued to be both popular and influential among Republicans since he left office.

The sheer proportion of Republicans happy to believe "the big lie" that millions of illegal votes were cast and that's why President Trump lost the election IMO provides clear evidence of his continued popularity.

"The big lie" is patently ridiculous, but the fact that the vast majority of GOP representatives enthusiastically support it shows that they support President Trump and/or enough of the party faithful do.

but there is literally no alternative in the GOP, and they would rather have an actual Skunk in the White House as long as it's being identified as Republican than any Democract.
There are plenty of alternatives, whether they run or not is another matter.

I agree that the vast majority of Republicans would vote for any GOP candidate. A majority of Democrats might only vote Democrat, but they have repeatedly shown that if a candidate is not to their liking, they'll stay away from the polls. Republicans OTOH will reliably turn out to vote regardless.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 02:56 AM   #295
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Well, that is a conundrum, isn't it? A drawback of highly partisan politics...one which affects both parties. I've known plenty of people who vote strictly along party lines. I bet we have quite a few in the forum.
Which side has been more partisan?
Which side had for years radio Talkshow hosts like Limbaugh preaching that under no circumstances can you vote for Democrats, no matter how bad Republicans are?

There is simply no equivalency in how radical Republicans have become compared to Democrats.
Any comparison with any other Democracy is clear proof of this.
Old 10th January 2022, 04:02 AM   #296
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
What concerns me more is the "master manipulator." part. Where the blame falls to trump and they were just poor dupes. Really, grade school taunts and tantrums just sucked you in? Your sons, daughters, nieces, nephews and grandkids must have you wrapped around their fingers then. Heck, just the kids in the neighborhood must play you for a chump as well.

As noted up thread, by myself and others, most of the people I know who support trump simply do so because they're basically scared ******** of the other side. So certainly a lot of manipulation going on but definitely not the doing of trump, that's just the current branding. So it's keep the manipulation but just dump the current branding and pretend that was the "master manipulator."

Though, I certainly do agree with bruto that as long as people can be convinced to turn away from the BS rhetoric, that's something. More power (for that) to them and if they can get some to step away, and not just turn away, as well, that's worth waiting to see.
I think you underestimate T**** if you judge him by his public performances. They just cater for the MAGA bunch. While I don't believe he is anything like a mastermind, there must be more to him than the public nonsense. He must have some talent for power play.

Hans
Old 10th January 2022, 04:59 AM   #297
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Both of them?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 05:05 AM   #298
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I think you underestimate T**** if you judge him by his public performances. They just cater for the MAGA bunch. While I don't believe he is anything like a mastermind, there must be more to him than the public nonsense. He must have some talent for power play.

Hans
He's a second-rate mafia boss wannabe, a self-server and grifter, and has been for decades. That apparently counts as a "career" to some people in the USA. He ran his presidency like he ran his "businesses", corruptly and into the ground, because it paid him handsomely to do so. He's second-rate because the first-rate mafiosi are much better at corruption, are much richer, are well out of the reach of the law, and have Donny well under their thumbs as a useful stooge.

The GOP voters who are still enamored of Donny are also the ones who will still donate their meager dollars to hilariously dreadful televangelist con-artists even while they are in jail. You could not find dumber people if you did mass brainectomies.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 10th January 2022 at 05:09 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 10:55 AM   #299
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Hans
Not just public performance but performance in general some of which is only becoming public now. If he had some talent for the power play he actually might have been able to pull it off. Instead just some people in some critical areas held fast. Heck, as it is coming out now some of his own devotees, staff, media supporters and son were going back and fourth trying to get across to him just how bad this plan was. Perhaps what was underestimated, even by him, were the people around him.
Old 10th January 2022, 11:07 AM   #300
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Not necessarily.

I have mentioned this before... I always view Trump as a "Forrest Gump" type character. No real skill as a businessman, or as a politician. But, he has managed to find success through 100% dumb luck. (Without being born into a wealthy family, he would not have the reputation of a "billionaire". Without the clown-car primaries, he would not have won the nomination. Without Russian help, he might not have won the general election. Without corrupt protection by the GOP he would not have lasted a full 4 year term.) Every success he has had he seems to have stumbled into.

The only skill that he might have is as a con-man, but even here his skills are suspect.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 11:12 AM   #301
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Not necessarily.

I have mentioned this before... I always view Trump as a "Forrest Gump" type character. No real skill as a businessman, or as a politician. But, he has managed to find success through 100% dumb luck. (Without being born into a wealthy family, he would not have the reputation of a "billionaire". Without the clown-car primaries, he would not have won the nomination. Without Russian help, he might not have won the general election. Without corrupt protection by the GOP he would not have lasted a full 4 year term.) Every success he has had he seems to have stumbled into.

The only skill that he might have is as a con-man, but even here his skills are suspect.
I'm kind of partial to "Being There" as being more on point.
Old 10th January 2022, 11:13 AM   #302
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
I'm kind of partial to "Being There" as being more on point.
You will never see Trump walk on water, though.

https://the-take.com/read/what-are-t...of-being-there

Last edited by Warp12; 10th January 2022 at 11:15 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 10th January 2022, 11:29 AM   #303
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
You will never see Trump walk on water, though.

https://the-take.com/read/what-are-t...of-being-there
Oh, no doubt, but in no way does not seeing become not believing, for some (even on both sides).
Old 12th January 2022, 08:53 AM   #304
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Pressed on his election lies, former President Trump cuts NPR interview short

He went on NPR this morning live from Mar a Lago, for what was supposed to be a 15-minute interview. After 9 minutes of Steve Inskeep challenging his bull ****, he abruptly hung up.

Quote:
Referring to South Dakota's Rounds in a statement after he appeared on ABC, for example, Trump said Rounds "just went woke," called him a "jerk," "weak," "ineffective" and questioned whether he was "crazy or just stupid."

He also called him a RINO, an acronym for an insult some conservatives reserve for more moderate Republicans they disagree with — Republicans in name only.

In the interview with NPR, he partially blamed Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell for Rounds and other senators feeling as though they can speak out and say — correctly — that Trump lost the election.

"Because Mitch McConnell is a loser," Trump said.
Quote:
In the interview, Trump repeated a number of false claims about voting systems in the U.S., including that the discredited GOP-led ballot review in Arizona showed evidence of malfeasance — despite the fact that it also reaffirmed Biden's victory.

Republican officials in Maricopa County, however, debunked the characterizations of Trump and his allies in a 93-page rebuttal issued last week.

"The people who have spent the last year proclaiming our free and fair elections are rigged are lying or delusional," said Bill Gates, the GOP chair of the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors.

Asked why even Republicans in the state accepted the findings, Trump reverted to an old attack.

"Because they're RINOs," he said, "and frankly, a lot of people are questioning that."

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 09:13 AM   #305
Galaxie
Graduate Poster

Donny also did an interview with OAN where he endorsed vaccines and boosters:

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-endorse...111705559.html
Quote:
In an interview with the far-right One America News network, Trump said he was pro-vaccination and that he experienced "absolutely no side effects" after receiving his booster shot.

Trump also slammed politicians who had been vague about whether they had received their COVID-19 booster shots.

"Many politicians — I watched a couple of politicians be interviewed and one of the questions was, 'Did you get the booster?' because they had the vaccine — and they're answering it like ... 'yes' but they don't want to say it. Because they're gutless," Trump told the OAN presenter Dan Ball.

"You gotta say it, whether you had it or not. Say it. But the fact is that I think the vaccines saved tens of millions throughout the world."
It's a bold move to alienate his base like that, and on OAN no less...

Last edited by Galaxie; 12th January 2022 at 09:14 AM.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 09:18 AM   #306
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's a bold but potentially very clever move, since being pro-vax is about the only thing that differentiates him from about every other right-wing Trump clone.
It's his bid for 2024 in a nutshell.
Old 12th January 2022, 09:19 AM   #307
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

If we land on "Trump trying to sell himself as the sane Republican" in 2024....

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 12th January 2022 at 09:31 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 09:19 AM   #308
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Pressed on his election lies, former President Trump cuts NPR interview short

He went on NPR this morning live from Mar a Lago, for what was supposed to be a 15-minute interview. After 9 minutes of Steve Inskeep challenging his bull ****, he abruptly hung up.
Its like Trump is a snowflake, rather than the "alpha male" he pretends to be.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 09:27 AM   #309
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

It's a bold but potentially very clever move, since being pro-vax is about the only thing that differentiates him from about every other right-wing Trump clone.
It's his bid for 2024 in a nutshell.
He's a RINO!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 09:30 AM   #310
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
He's a RINO!
How Republican one is is measured by the distance of your tongue to Trump's butthole, the shorter the better. So yeah, there are a couple of Republican more Republican than him.
Old 12th January 2022, 11:02 AM   #311
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
In the interview, Trump repeated a number of false claims about voting systems in the U.S., including that the discredited GOP-led ballot review in Arizona showed evidence of malfeasance — despite the fact that it also reaffirmed Biden's victory.

Republican officials in Maricopa County, however, debunked the characterizations of Trump and his allies in a 93-page rebuttal issued last week.

"The people who have spent the last year proclaiming our free and fair elections are rigged are lying or delusional," said Bill Gates, the GOP chair of the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors.

Asked why even Republicans in the state accepted the findings, Trump reverted to an old attack.

"Because they're RINOs," he said, "and frankly, a lot of people are questioning that."
It goes even deeper than we thought!
Old 12th January 2022, 11:05 AM   #312
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

How Republican one is is measured by the distance of your tongue to Trump's butthole, the shorter the better. So yeah, there are a couple of Republican more Republican than him.
All squished together like newborn piglets at their mama’s teats.
Old 12th January 2022, 11:05 AM   #313
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah it's all hilarious, imaging an even further into insanity GOP where even Trump doesn't pass the purity test to get in.
Old 12th January 2022, 11:17 AM   #314
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

The NPR interview was flaccid. More textbook Trump dodging, weaving, BS-ing to beat the band.

Dear media reporters: Donald Trump is not a good-faith interviewee. You treating him like Adlai Stevenson for the nth time around is not going to suddenly, magically result in candid, thoughtful, or unique answers. No matter your request for a new song, Billy Joel is going to keep playing “Piano Man” until his fingers are worn down to the wrist.

There’s only one follow up to Trump saying the election was rigged: “Prove it. Prove it now.” Whatever his response, just keep repeating until the “interview” is over. It won’t get anywhere, he’ll scurry away as usual, but at least you’ll have laid down some marbles for him to look clumsy and foolish doing so.
Old 12th January 2022, 11:20 AM   #315
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Why change what works?
Old 12th January 2022, 11:24 AM   #316
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Let me hasten to add I’m almost certain Trump doesn’t give a **** and a half about proving 2020 was rigged and stolen (and very possibly doesn’t believe so anyway). It’s all groundwork laying, fomenting resentment and passion among the base to do whatever’s necessary to avenge the matter next time around.

Whatever is necessary.
Old 12th January 2022, 11:55 AM   #317
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
LOL! He's missing the "Sir" in front of that.
Old 12th January 2022, 03:25 PM   #318
mgidm86
Philosopher

Trump's NPR interview makes such little sense. He reminds me of a mattress salesman I encountered recently who used buzzwords because they knew absolutely nothing about the product they were pushing on me.

On his vaccinations (CNN Today):

Trump: "Personally, I feel very comfortable having taken them. I've had absolutely no reverberation."

Mattress salesman: "This mattress has newer technology"

or

Trump: "If you look at the numbers, if you look at the findings in Arizona, if you look at what's going on in Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, by the way -- and take a look at Wisconsin -- they're finding things that nobody thought possible."

Mattress salesman: "This mattress has more layers (wrong) and uh...newer technology!"

I bought my bed elsewhere.
Old 12th January 2022, 05:07 PM   #319
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Here is a transcript of Trump's NPR interview.

https://www.npr.org/2022/01/12/10721...t-donald-trump

I don't think 'delusional' is strong enough to describe Trump's mental condition.

He's just plain

crazy.
Old 12th January 2022, 05:25 PM   #320
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
The NPR interview was flaccid. More textbook Trump dodging, weaving, BS-ing to beat the band.

Dear media reporters: Donald Trump is not a good-faith interviewee. You treating him like Adlai Stevenson for the nth time around is not going to suddenly, magically result in candid, thoughtful, or unique answers. No matter your request for a new song, Billy Joel is going to keep playing “Piano Man” until his fingers are worn down to the wrist.

There’s only one follow up to Trump saying the election was rigged: “Prove it. Prove it now.” Whatever his response, just keep repeating until the “interview” is over. It won’t get anywhere, he’ll scurry away as usual, but at least you’ll have laid down some marbles for him to look clumsy and foolish doing so.
I heard it this morning on the drive in. What the **** was the point of that? Trump or his staff must have known the that he wasn't going to get to dodge election lies questions. Is he so deluded that he thinks appearing on "Morning Edition" would make him appear more respectable? His base will never hear it and no one who did will be persuaded by it. I can only assume that he'll take sound bites from it and use it some how. Why though? His base already thinks he's persecuted by the "liberal media" and the audience was never going to be persuaded.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics