IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 12th January 2022, 05:30 PM   #321
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I heard it this morning on the drive in. What the **** was the point of that? Trump or his staff must have known the that he wasn't going to get to dodge election lies questions. Is he so deluded that he thinks appearing on "Morning Edition" would make him appear more respectable? His base will never hear it and no one who did will be persuaded by it. I can only assume that he'll take sound bites from it and use it some how. Why though? His base already thinks he's persecuted by the "liberal media" and the audience was never going to be persuaded.
He does it because he can't help himself. It's part of his narcissism: he can convince people of his righteous cause if only they can hear him. Because people are saying he's the best speaker like no one has ever seen before.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 08:43 AM   #322
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post

[...Polite snip]
Trump: "If you look at the numbers, if you look at the findings in Arizona, if you look at what's going on in Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, by the way -- and take a look at Wisconsin -- they're finding things that nobody thought possible."

[...Polite snip]

Oh, does he mean the coordinated effort to forge documents in five different states claiming to certify pro-trump electors and then submitting them?

After 2020, Trump backers forged election docs in even more states

I certainly didn't think it was possible for people to be that stupid and while I was wrong about that (even two groups in Arizona forged documents) evidently some weren't. As some of the original trump electors were replaced by others in the forged documents with one actually noting that refusal to sign the fake instrument.

Sorry, haven't been able to find a direct reference to who that was but I'll keep looking.

Last edited by The Man; 15th January 2022 at 08:47 AM. Reason: added "to sign the fake instrument"
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 09:01 AM   #323
BobTheCoward
Banned

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Oh, does he mean the coordinated effort to forge documents in five different states claiming to certify pro-trump electors and then submitting them?

After 2020, Trump backers forged election docs in even more states

I certainly didn't think it was possible for people to be that stupid and while I was wrong about that (even two groups in Arizona forged documents) evidently some weren't. As some of the original trump electors were replaced by others in the forged documents with one actually noting that refusal to sign the fake instrument.

Sorry, haven't been able to find a direct reference to who that was but I'll keep looking.
"Forged" doesn't even seem like the right word for this sovereign citizen BS.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 09:12 AM   #324
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I heard it this morning on the drive in. What the **** was the point of that? Trump or his staff must have known the that he wasn't going to get to dodge election lies questions. Is he so deluded that he thinks appearing on "Morning Edition" would make him appear more respectable? His base will never hear it and no one who did will be persuaded by it. I can only assume that he'll take sound bites from it and use it some how. Why though? His base already thinks he's persecuted by the "liberal media" and the audience was never going to be persuaded.
When one has an addiction, one will go anywhere and do anything in pursuit of that high.

Trump is addicted to attention.
Old 15th January 2022, 09:14 AM   #325
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Let me hasten to add I’m almost certain Trump doesn’t give a **** and a half about proving 2020 was rigged and stolen (and very possibly doesn’t believe so anyway). It’s all groundwork laying, fomenting resentment and passion among the base to do whatever’s necessary to avenge the matter next time around.

Whatever is necessary.
Unless he really is so mentally unbalanced that admitting to himself that he lost is beyond his abilities.
Old 15th January 2022, 09:33 AM   #326
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Today is the first time I've heard inklings of Hilary Clinton actually running again in 2024. I'd love to see the rematch -- gloves would certainly be off this time around. With a running mate of Pete Buttigieg, that would be awesome.
Old 15th January 2022, 09:37 AM   #327
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Today is the first time I've heard inklings of Hilary Clinton actually running again in 2024. I'd love to see the rematch -- gloves would certainly be off this time around. With a running mate of Pete Buttigieg, that would be awesome.
Unfortunately IMO Hillary would lose again.

Democratic Party supporters need to be wooed and excited. Hillary is a consummate professional but 40 years of focus grouping has eliminated her spark and she will be quite old as well.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 09:39 AM   #328
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
"Forged" doesn't even seem like the right word for this sovereign citizen BS.
Well, thinking one's self to be a sovereign makes anything you produce legitimate, at least in one's own regard.

However, given the history and repudiation of the sovereign citizen movement in general, the term "sham" is likely more befitting.
Old 15th January 2022, 10:29 AM   #329
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Unless he really is so mentally unbalanced that admitting to himself that he lost is beyond his abilities.
That's a bingo.
Old 15th January 2022, 11:53 AM   #330
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I think that I saw a recommendation for Hillary on... CNN? a few weeks ago. I'm not especially enamored with the proposal, myself, though. Admittedly, I'm even less enamored with the troll Biden-Cheney ticket suggestion from the NYT.

Honestly, I'm not dissatisfied with Harris as VP, either way. I do have to roll my eyes at how she's being repeatedly targeted for political reasons, though.
Old 16th January 2022, 01:23 AM   #331
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think he has come to really believe it. As psychologist Mary Trump said:

"He's the only person I've ever met who can gaslight himself," Mary Trump told Vice, adding, "Probably the most central part of Donald's psychopathology is the need to deny any reality that paints him as a loser or as somebody who is weak."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 05:06 AM   #332
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Let me hasten to add I’m almost certain Trump doesn’t give a **** and a half about proving 2020 was rigged and stolen (and very possibly doesn’t believe so anyway). It’s all groundwork laying, fomenting resentment and passion among the base to do whatever’s necessary to avenge the matter next time around.

Whatever is necessary.
He believes it. That's the secret of his success.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 06:57 AM   #333
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
He believes it. That's the secret of his success.
As he decides on something to say, it seems like neither the truth of the statement nor his belief in it enter into his decision process. At all. Only whether or not the statement serves his interests.

I don’t see how else one can reconcile over 12,000 false or misleading statements over his presidency. The question of whether this is this indicative of sociopathy or learned behavior which had been repeatedly positively reinforced is a question psychologists and historians will be debating for years to come.

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 16th January 2022 at 07:29 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 07:22 AM   #334
Andy_Ross
Penultimate Amazing

The 2020 election was more than 14 months ago and it is still far and away Trump's biggest topic at his rally in Arizona.

Trump brought up the hostage situation in Texas and said ominously, "you'll see who it is that's holding so dangerously those hostages. I think I have a pretty good idea."

Last edited by Andy_Ross; 16th January 2022 at 07:24 AM.
Andy_Ross is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 08:27 AM   #335
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
The 2020 election was more than 14 months ago and it is still far and away Trump's biggest topic at his rally in Arizona.

Trump brought up the hostage situation in Texas and said ominously, "you'll see who it is that's holding so dangerously those hostages. I think I have a pretty good idea."
Sure, apparently a religious conservative. Much like those that support you. Heck, even one of the symbols of anarchy, the Guy Fawkes mask, is based on man who, while certainly a terrorist, was a religious conservative not an anarchist. Supporting the catholic Spanish crown and opposing the English protestant reformation. About 150 years after the gunpower plot and just before the French revolution Voltaire writes.

"Formerly there were those who said: You believe things that are incomprehensible, inconsistent, impossible because we have commanded you to believe them; go then and do what is unjust because we command it. Such people show admirable reasoning. Truly, whoever is able to make you absurd is able to make you unjust. If the God-given understanding of your mind does not resist a demand to believe what is impossible, then you will not resist a demand to do wrong to that God-given sense of justice in your heart. As soon as one faculty of your soul has been dominated, other faculties will follow as well. And from this derives all those crimes of religion which have overrun the world."
Old 16th January 2022, 08:42 AM   #336
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Good quote.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 09:37 AM   #337
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I was reading my quora feed and there was a question, "What would Trump be doing differently from Biden?"

And one of the answers was, "He wouldn't shut down the country because of the fake pandemic."

I seriously have to wonder, how do Trump supporters live in such a completely alternate universe?

1) The country has not been "shut down" since Biden has been president, and
2) When the country was shut down because of the pandemic, Trump was president.

Trump supporters are like the guys on South Park who asked, "If dolphins are so smart, why do they live in igloos?"

Completely disconnected from reality.
Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 10:00 AM   #338
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Unbalanced or not, I think he simply doesn't care about reality.

Hans
Old 16th January 2022, 10:18 AM   #339
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Unbalanced or not, I think he simply doesn't care about reality.

Hans
Well, when has reality or its lacking ever hurt him? Heck, fantasy even seems to help him. If there are no consequences and perhaps even some benefits to a lack of reality, why care about it?

Of course most of us with at least some capacity for empathy understand that no consequences for one does not mean no consequences for others and even the benefit for one can be at the expense of others. However, when you just don't care about a lot of things, like even just people in general, the inclusion of not caring about reality is hardly detrimental. Unless you do something like walk into traffic.
Old 16th January 2022, 11:12 AM   #340
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
As he decides on something to say, it seems like neither the truth of the statement nor his belief in it enter into his decision process. At all. Only whether or not the statement serves his interests.

I don’t see how else one can reconcile over 12,000 false or misleading statements over his presidency. The question of whether this is this indicative of sociopathy or learned behavior which had been repeatedly positively reinforced is a question psychologists and historians will be debating for years to come.
I seem to recall there being more than 30,000 lies having been vomited out of that face anus.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 01:47 PM   #341
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I seem to recall there being more than 30,000 lies having been vomited out of that face anus.
I don't think I ever heard the final count.

ETA: 30,573

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...er-four-years/

Last edited by eerok; 16th January 2022 at 01:49 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 01:58 PM   #342
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

It was really only 20. He just told them 1500 times apiece.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 02:02 PM   #343
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
It was really only 20. He just told them 1500 times apiece.
He could probably go another 30K just on "I won in 2020". He's a good way there already.

Last edited by eerok; 16th January 2022 at 02:03 PM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 01:20 AM   #344
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, dear. How very, very unethical of them!
Old 17th January 2022, 05:15 AM   #345
Tero
Illuminator

Do we have a 2022 or 2024 election thread? Anyway:

There are a couple of scenarios we could end up with. Let's say Trumpsters get really active and grab the house and senate 2022. This would result in a big turnout in 2024 from both sides. We could get a 2024 house and senate for Democrats. And still get Trump due to election tampering. That is, Trump could get the electoral vote half way legitimately. We would have a repeat of the last 2 years of Trump. He would burn out very quickly. I predict he would not last the 4 years no matter what.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 06:22 AM   #346
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

He sounded somewhat drunk and disheveled in Arizona. Mumbling and slurring, as well as spouting the same pathetic nonsense yet again. I don't think his heart is in this any more. He's losing, badly, and he knows it. His psychopathology is to quit and run as soon as he looks like even faintly like a loser. So he will simply phone it in for a little while longer, or (my bet) he will flee the USA for more friendly climes before he gets arrested far all that sedition and fraud. Or, hopefully, he just drops dead.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 06:57 AM   #347
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
I predict he would not last the 4 years no matter what.
Echoes of the sentiments of many here, including yours truly, of 2016. I was willing to bet he wouldn’t last a year.

Those who do not learn from history…
Old 17th January 2022, 06:59 AM   #348
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump didn't last a month before he decided that he would spend his Presidency in front of the TV or on the Golf Course or at rallies.
He never actually became President because he decided he'd rather not.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 17th January 2022 at 07:00 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 08:12 AM   #349
Tero
Illuminator

Echoes of the sentiments of many here, including yours truly, of 2016. I was willing to bet he wouldn’t last a year.

Those who do not learn from history…
Yeahbut, he now knows, even he has some memory, of what it is to be imprisoned in the White House for four years. He wants to be a retiree golfing in Florida every other day as well as president. If he could just phone in his presidency, he could last 4 years.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 17th January 2022, 10:11 AM   #350
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He sounded somewhat drunk and disheveled in Arizona. Mumbling and slurring, as well as spouting the same pathetic nonsense yet again. I don't think his heart is in this any more. He's losing, badly, and he knows it. His psychopathology is to quit and run as soon as he looks like even faintly like a loser. So he will simply phone it in for a little while longer, or (my bet) he will flee the USA for more friendly climes before he gets arrested far all that sedition and fraud. Or, hopefully, he just drops dead.
I'd amend that to add that Trump's pattern is to grab other people's money and run. It's amazing he's got away with so much for so long, but he's a member of American royalty -- in other words, a wealthy, privileged jackass.
Old 17th January 2022, 09:46 PM   #351
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Because... why not?

According to the lawsuit, brought by the attorney general of Washington, DC, the 2017 inauguration booked $49,358 worth of rooms at the Loews Madison Hotel. But when the hotel asked the Trump Organization to pay the bill, the company allegedly refused. A debt collection agency then took up the task of recovering the money...the company reportedly arranged for the Presidential Inaugural Committee – a tax-exempt charity – to pay the bill instead. The DC lawsuit says this was inappropriate....Ms Wolkoff, who was once a close adviser to Melania Trump, coordinated many of the 2017 inaugural events....she fell out with the Trumps after they scapegoated her for the controversial expenses, in her view....DC Superior Court Judge José López ruled that the Trump Organization was not directly involved in booking the inaugural events, and dropped the company from the lawsuit. The unpaid $49,000 hotel bill could bring it back in.

Pretty much everything you would expect from Trump....

- Skipping out on bills? Check
- Engaging in shady financing to pass costs on? Check.
- Playing the "Blame game"? Check.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 18th January 2022, 02:26 AM   #352
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Today is the first time I've heard inklings of Hilary Clinton actually running again in 2024. I'd love to see the rematch -- gloves would certainly be off this time around.
Oh, please!

The world needs more humour right now.
Old 19th January 2022, 10:27 AM   #353
eerok
Quixoticist

Yeah, this is slow as molasses, but it's still moving along.

Donald Trump May Have ‘Falsely and Fraudulently’ Valued Assets, and Eric Trump Took the Fifth to More Than 500 Questions: New York AG (lawandcrime.com)
Old 19th January 2022, 11:16 AM   #354
jond
Illuminator

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
What was it Trump said about pleading the 5th?
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2022, 12:36 PM   #355
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jond View Post
What was it Trump said about pleading the 5th?
To be fair, Trump only means what he says only when it when it suits him.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2022, 01:02 PM   #356
jond
Illuminator

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
To be fair, Trump only means what he says only when it when it suits him.
Of course. Everything with Trump is projection.
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2022, 01:05 PM   #357
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Are we supposed to stop yet again to smack our gobs at Trump being self-servingly hypocritical as if it's shocking or surprising anymore?

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 19th January 2022 at 01:18 PM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2022, 01:17 PM   #358
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
A few extra details about the case:

The Trump Organization, James' office said, overstated the value of land donations made in New York and California on paperwork submitted to the IRS to justify several million dollars in tax deductions.
In the court papers, James' office said evidence shows that Trump's company:
- Listed his Seven Springs estate...as being worth $291 million, based on the dubious assumption that it could reap $161 million from building nine luxury homes.
- Added a "brand premium"...to the value of some properties because they carried the Trump name, despite financial statements explicitly stating they didn't incorporate brand value.
- Inflated the value of a suburban New York golf club by millions of dollars by counting fees for memberships that weren't sold....
- Valued a...condominium tower...based on proceeds it could reap from unsold units, even though many...were likely to sell for less because they were covered by rent stabilization laws.
- Valued an apartment...rented to Ivanka Trump at as high as $25 million, even though she had an option to buy it for $8.5 million.
- Said ...its stake in an office building...was worth $525 million to $602 million -- between two to three times the estimate reached by appraisers

So quite a shopping list of questionable activities.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 19th January 2022, 01:32 PM   #359
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I believe I heard something like this years ago. Is it news now because it's "official"?

A pertinent line from the article:
Quote:
On Dec. 3, 2020, the former president agreed that he would provide documents within two weeks, according to James.
Old 19th January 2022, 01:34 PM   #360
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm almost tempted to think Trump is aware of the "Two Weeks" meme but I'm not prepared to give him that much credit for cleverness.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics