IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 1st April 2022, 04:58 AM   #281
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
They live in the Fact-free Universe, so when they venture into Reality and are confronted with facts they must either double down or bravely run away.
Joecool is a bungee poster. Flies in with right-wing “”facts”” and then bounces out before seeing any of the replies that utterly destroy them. We have a few like that.
Old 1st April 2022, 05:54 AM   #282
Armitage72
Philosopher

They live in the Fact-free Universe, so when they venture into Reality and are confronted with facts they must either double down or bravely run away.

I'm reminded of a webcomic in which someone was complaining about Michael B. Jordan being cast as Johnny Storm in the 2015 Fantastic Four film, because that meant Sue Storm would have to be black too and it's completely unrealistic to have two black people in the same place at the same time. He then saw two black people together and fled in terror.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 10:41 PM   #283
Susheel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
My money is on Cawthorn not being censured.

What's funny is that I'd bet Cawthorn hasn't been invited to any Dem 'parties' so that only leaves his fellow Republicans.
I think that the whole thing was a toddler's desperate attempt to get the big people to pay attention to him.
Old 1st April 2022, 10:57 PM   #284
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
I think that the whole thing was a toddler's desperate attempt to get the big people to pay attention to him.
Agreed. He's cut from the same cloth as Boebert and MTG: so stupid even his fellow Republicans ignore him in Congress.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 11:11 PM   #285
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed. He's cut from the same cloth as Boebert and MTG: so stupid even his fellow Republicans ignore him in Congress.
That group is small, but thanks to Trumpism where there seems to be an inexorable drift to the extreme, it's growing. How long before characters like this are the GOP majority in congress?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st April 2022, 11:39 PM   #286
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That group is small, but thanks to Trumpism where there seems to be an inexorable drift to the extreme, it's growing. How long before characters like this are the GOP majority in congress?
It's not all that small. Ron Johnson, John Kennedy, Louie Gohmert, Paul Gosar, Tuberville...
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2022, 01:28 PM   #287
Venom
Philosopher

I'm starting to believe drastic measures may have to be considered to stop these extremists from taking over. Some of these folks simply don't give a **** about democracy and rule of law, or being a half-decent human being. So when do we do something about them?

I wish it didn't come to this. But with odious figures like Michele Fiore entering the mainstream, something may need to happen to derail them.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd April 2022, 02:49 PM   #288
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Speaking of repugnant and stupid:

Quote:
Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin announces campaign for Congress

Former GOP vice president candidate and Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will run for Alaska’s at-large Congress seat vacated by the late Rep. Don Young, she announced on her Facebook page Friday.

"Today I’m announcing my candidacy for the U.S. House seat representing Alaska," Palin wrote. "Public service is a calling, and I would be honored to represent the men and women of Alaska in Congress, just as Rep. Young did for 49 years."
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:27 AM   #289
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'm starting to believe drastic measures may have to be considered to stop these extremists from taking over. Some of these folks simply don't give a **** about democracy and rule of law, or being a half-decent human being. So when do we do something about them?

I wish it didn't come to this. But with odious figures like Michele Fiore entering the mainstream, something may need to happen to derail them.
Depends what drastic measures you propose. If it's along the lines of using government force to pre-emptively detain them, then I think that's a no-go. However odious their opinions might be, someone would have to engage in an illegal act to be interdicted. Having a society with presumed innocence and due process means we accept the risk of harm from people that harbor bad intentions without acting on them yet.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 01:23 AM   #290
Lurch
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Venom View Post

Here I go again... A people gets the government it deserves.

If there are not sufficient numbers of sane people motivated to vote for sanity--while voting is still a thing in this devolving crap show called the USA, then it's clear the people want insanity.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 01:34 AM   #291
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Depends what drastic measures you propose. If it's along the lines of using government force to pre-emptively detain them, then I think that's a no-go. However odious their opinions might be, someone would have to engage in an illegal act to be interdicted. Having a society with presumed innocence and due process means we accept the risk of harm from people that harbor bad intentions without acting on them yet.

OK, wait until they’ve abolished due process and the presumption of innocence, and then detain them.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 02:06 AM   #292
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
OK, wait until they’ve abolished due process and the presumption of innocence, and then detain them.
Or do it for them, pre-emptively? I don't see the upside. "Hey, that guy wants to burn our house down. Let's burn it down first so we can get him!"

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 02:34 AM   #293
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
My guess is that during his 40+ years as Senator he participated in business of the US Senate - which, coincidentally, doesn't have control over Delaware's state voting laws.
You don't actually expect any who refers to Biden as "Joke" to be interested in facts, do you?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 12:33 PM   #294
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
You don't actually expect any who refers to Biden as "Joke" to be interested in facts, do you?
I don't expect anyone who supports Trump to be interested in facts, period.
Old 3rd April 2022, 01:44 PM   #295
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Not a politician, but Julie from Ohio says Space Force is going to overturn the 2020 election and return Trump to power.

https://twitter.com/littlewhitty/sta...33810365378565

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd April 2022, 02:32 PM   #296
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not a politician, but Julie from Ohio says Space Force is going to overturn the 2020 election and return Trump to power.

Birds of a feather and all. Trump and his delusional crazies flocking together.

My favorite comment from the ariticle:

Lou Gehrig. South of the Manson\Nixon line
@sierrakid27
·
Apr 2
Replying to
@littlewhitty
I just want to know who's running the meth labs while all these people go from rally to rally
Old 3rd April 2022, 02:45 PM   #297
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

More stupid from a GOP Congressmember at a Trump rally:

"(Trump)Caught Osama bin Laden and Soleimani, al-Baghdadi," said Rep. Lisa McClain, R-Mich., during a Trump rally Saturday in Washington Township, Mich., in a speech in which she attacked President Joe Biden's foreign policy."

Since bin Laden was killed in 2011, that was really amazing that Trump go into Pakistan and get bin Laden as a private citizen. It's almost as brave and amazing as when Trump went to Ground Zero two days after 9/11 and helped the first responders. No wonder he is such a superhero!

Old 3rd April 2022, 06:40 PM   #298
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

That is a lot of stupidity packed into a single claim.
Old 3rd April 2022, 11:46 PM   #299
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
That is a lot of stupidity packed into a single claim.
The combined IQ at a Trump rally is lower than that of a hamster.
Old 4th April 2022, 11:36 AM   #300
catsmate
No longer the 1

I don't expect anyone who supports Trump to be interested in facts, period.
True.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 10:08 AM   #301
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Well now!

This is weird even for a typical stupid, idiotic, lying Republican.

Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) actually went on to the floor of the US House of Representatives in order to define what a "woman" is.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/madison-c...203810556.html

Madison Cawthorn's Definition Of A Woman Gets Thoroughly Mocked

Controversial Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.) took to the House floor on Monday to educate troll his fellow representatives on the definition of a woman.

“I never imagined that one of my sacred duties in this hallowed chamber would be explaining to the House Speaker the difference between a man and a woman,” he said, referencing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). “Take notes, Madame Speaker, I’m about to define what a woman is for you.”

Cawthorn then offered this tasteless definition: “XX chromosomes, no tallywacker.”

Although many conservatives made hay with the remark, USA Today noted that many scientists, gender law scholars and philosophers of biology say there is no sufficient way to clearly define what makes someone a woman. Gender has become a hot-button talking point on the right amid a wave of anti-transgender bills proposed in state legislatures around the country. Among them is Texas’ law that would classify gender-affirming care for transgender kids as child abuse and is currently facing legal challenges.

Cawthorn has been on somewhat of a roll recently, after angering his fellow Republicans by claiming various top “leaders” had invited him to orgies and had also used cocaine in front of him.

He also came under fire for calling Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy a “thug” and for driving with a revoked license.
Old 6th April 2022, 10:26 AM   #302
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Cawthorn then offered this tasteless definition: “XX chromosomes, no tallywacker.”
So that makes these people men which I suppose he is fine with even though I suspect he doesn't think this can happen:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...tistry/xx-male

But what does he doe with these people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_gonadal_dysgenesis

https://novonordiskfonden.dk/en/news...netically-men/
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 10:27 AM   #303
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
So that makes these people men which I suppose he is fine with even though I suspect he doesn't think this can happen:

Like these. All have XX

Gunter Haas, the 'leading British expert,' was a graphologist who advised couples, based on their handwriting characteristics, if they were compatible for marriage. I would submit that couples idiotic enough to do this are probably quite suitable for each other. It's nice when stupid people find love. - Ludovic Kennedy
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 10:28 AM   #304
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

He ignores them or considers them freaks.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 10:37 AM   #305
slyjoe
Illuminator

Show Cawthorn this and see if he thinks its fake news:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Gender_Male-Female_Chromosomes.jpeg (36.6 KB, 7 views)
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 11:16 AM   #306
ZiprHead
Graduate Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwnOU3UHBLM

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 11:29 AM   #307
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well now!

Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-NC) actually went on to the floor of the US House of Representatives in order to define what a "woman" is.

Controversial Rep. Madison Cawthorn (R-N.C.) took to the House floor on Monday to educate troll his fellow representatives on the definition of a woman.

“I never imagined that one of my sacred duties in this hallowed chamber would be explaining to the House Speaker the difference between a man and a woman,” he said, referencing House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). “Take notes, Madame Speaker, I’m about to define what a woman is for you.”

Although many conservatives made hay with the remark, USA Today noted that many scientists, gender law scholars and philosophers of biology say there is no sufficient way to clearly define what makes someone a woman. Gender has become a hot-button talking point on the right amid a wave of anti-transgender bills proposed in state legislatures around the country. Among them is Texas’ law that would classify gender-affirming care for transgender kids as child abuse and is currently facing legal challenges.

Cawthorn has been on somewhat of a roll recently, after angering his fellow Republicans by claiming various top “leaders” had invited him to orgies and had also used cocaine in front of him.

He also came under fire for calling Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy a “thug” and for driving with a revoked license.
Well....you have to understand that Cawthorn, as a right winger, has a different view of what "science" is than, let's say, scientists. Remember, women can't get pregnant when they're raped because the body has a way of shutting down fertilization, climate change is a hoax, a horse anti-wormer is a Covid miracle drug, masks don't minimize virus spread, HPV vaccines may cause “mental retardation" and kids' vaccines may cause autism and creationism is a valid scientific theory.
Old 6th April 2022, 11:35 AM   #308
shemp

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post

Obviously, Satan has made them that way and the Bible says they must be burned as witches!

When Republican politicians were young, they were the kids who watched James Bond movies and said "I want to grow up to be just like [insert name of villain here]."
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 11:36 AM   #309
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously, Satan has made them that way and the Bible says they must be burned as witches!
Obviously; God doesn't make mistakes.
Old 6th April 2022, 01:04 PM   #310
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

More stupid from a GOP Congressmember at a Trump rally:

"(Trump)Caught Osama bin Laden and Soleimani, al-Baghdadi," said Rep. Lisa McClain, R-Mich., during a Trump rally Saturday in Washington Township, Mich., in a speech in which she attacked President Joe Biden's foreign policy."

Since bin Laden was killed in 2011, that was really amazing that Trump go into Pakistan and get bin Laden as a private citizen. It's almost as brave and amazing as when Trump went to Ground Zero two days after 9/11 and helped the first responders. No wonder he is such a superhero!

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...a157b64710.jpg
FUnny, I always thought of him as inept Lex Luthor.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 01:07 PM   #311
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well now!

No wonder Annapolis never let him become a Middie.
The Naval Academy is pretty damn big on the science thing.....

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 6th April 2022 at 01:08 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 01:12 PM   #312
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No wonder Annapolis never let him become a Middie.
The Naval Academy is pretty damn big on the science thing.....
Better that way, because he'd have been demanding to be all shipman or nothing.

A pedant is a man who studies a vacuum through instruments that allow him to draw cross-sections of the details (John Ciardi)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th April 2022, 01:17 PM   #313
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Better that way, because he'd have been demanding to be all shipman or nothing.
Cawthorn whines about the unfairness of his being denied entry into Annapolis, but I suspect it was because he flunked the entry exams, which are very heavy on math and science.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 12th April 2022, 10:38 AM   #314
shemp

Lauren Boebert spews more words of genius:

Quote:
Inflation is now sitting at the highest level in forty years.

The people of our country are drowning financially while Biden’s focus is on the tobacco industry being immune from prostitutes being sued rather than any sort of economic solution.
https://twitter.com/laurenboebert/st...67381470375936

Old 12th April 2022, 11:30 AM   #315
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Boebert
...the tobacco industry being immune from prostitutes being sued
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th April 2022, 11:34 AM   #316
Armitage72
Philosopher

She still hasn't learned to proofread before hitting "Send".

I'm assuming "prosecution" became "prostitutes", which was replaced with "being sued" without actually removing "prostitutes". I have to wonder about what kind of texting history results in that autocompletion.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 12th April 2022, 11:35 AM   #317
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Wait I could have been suing the prostitute that rolls my cigars this entire time and nobody told me?
Old 12th April 2022, 11:36 AM   #318
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If Lauren Boebert and MTG had a "who is smarter" contest with an amoeba, the amoeba would win.
Old 12th April 2022, 11:45 AM   #319
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

If Lauren Boebert and MTG had a "who is smarter" contest with an amoeba, the amoeba would win.
Thanks much!

This has got to be the nicest thing that I have ever heard someone say about the Honorable Lauren Boebert.
Old 12th April 2022, 11:51 AM   #320
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks much!

This has got to be the nicest thing that I have ever heard someone say about the Honorable Lauren Boebert.
ISF rules prevent me from saying what I'd really like to about Boebert and MTG. Hell, what I'd like to say about most GOP politicians.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics