IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Marjorie Taylor Greene

Old 19th September 2022, 12:46 PM   #241
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yet that same McCarthy also said Greene and Gosar would be given committee assignments if the Republicans retake the house...:

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Wednesday said that GOP Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) and Paul Gosar (Ariz.) will have their committee seats restored next year if Republicans win back the House despite their participation in a white nationalist conference last month.

To me, it doesn't matter how much hot air McCarthy wastes criticizing Greene. If he's going to restore their power/influence then his comments mean absolutely nothing. Even less than nothing, because he's saying both "these people are wrong" and "I'm giving these wrong people more power".

I would put McCarthy's comments in the same boat as McConnell's "condemnation" of Trump after the January 6th terrorist attack... an empty jester while he gives a wink and nod of approval.

McCarthy plans to give Greene back various committee seats.

Seems like Moscow Mitch is wrong... there is a place in the party for white supremacists. And its sitting on various house committees representing the republicans.
McCarthy will say and do anything to stay on Trump's good side in order to get the House Speaker job. He's a weak and cowardly POS.

In that article he didn't say he would give back her committee seats, only that “They have the ability to be able to get committees based upon that time when it comes." IOW: MTG and Gosar might get committees but not necessarily the ones they had before. If they do get assigned to a committee or two, I suspect they'll be the least desirable ones like House Administration and the Ethics Committee. What irony if either was assigned to the Ethics Co.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 01:14 PM   #242
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Won't somebody just slap this stupid bitch.
If she did that to me she would have gotten a full swing punch to her face.
And my mugshot would be a full on grin.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 01:34 PM   #243
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
I'm not American, so perhaps you could clear this up for me:
Is 'hag' only a misogynist pejorative if a Republican says it?

For that matter, where does 'won't someone just slap this stupid bitch' stand? Is
it acceptable to call for physical violence against all women, or just Republican ones?
All republicans in power at the state and federal level are treasonous scum. They deserve to be shot. They should not be given human rights, as they are fascist pigs.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 01:57 PM   #244
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Now she's going after Beto O'Rourke. (His middle name is Francis.)
Quote:
Francis, I’ve noticed you have low T. It’s okay, it’s common in men like you. If you get on a weight lifting program, it will really help you. Since you run in your collared shirt, I’ll be happy to challenge you in my work attire for deadlifts. Twitter link
Attached Images
File Type: jpg emptyg scorecard.jpg (93.8 KB, 9 views)
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 02:39 PM   #245
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Just waiting for Beto's reply. Shouod be fun if any.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 04:07 PM   #246
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Now she's going after Beto O'Rourke. (His middle name is Francis.)
Thanks for posting that. Yet more evidence of why she's earned being called a bitch and hag.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 04:50 PM   #247
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Thanks for posting that. Yet more evidence of why she's earned being called a bitch and hag.
You're welcome. Yeah, ignore everything emptyg has done and said and make the issue about posters on an internet forum possibly using inappropriate terms to describe her. As we say in Nuu Yawk, "Gimme a freakin' break!"

The way greene attacks people I'm still curious to know if she's had all her shots?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Put her on a leash.jpg (91.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by newyorkguy; 19th September 2022 at 04:56 PM. Reason: More authentic
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 06:28 PM   #248
angrysoba
Philosophile

Could we not use misogynistic language and how much people want to slap, punch, stab or shoot her? That’s just bad.

Of course she is terrible, but that kind of stuff looks unhinged.
Old 19th September 2022, 06:33 PM   #249
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Could we not use misogynistic language and how much people want to slap, punch, stab or shoot her? That’s just bad.

I have no problem with calling her a bitch or hag, or even saying "won't someone just slap her" (the last isn't really a call for actually slapping her), but I do agree that calling for stabbing or shooting her is beyond the pale. Unacceptable
Old 19th September 2022, 08:16 PM   #250
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

An unmannered lout, absolutely unbecoming of a US senator of any stripe or party. Bigger people than her have lost their jobs over lesser offenses.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2022, 08:22 PM   #251
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
An unmannered lout, absolutely unbecoming of a US senator of any stripe or party. Bigger people than her have lost their jobs over lesser offenses.
She's not a senator.
Old 20th September 2022, 04:32 AM   #252
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
She's not a senator.
She's a Congrivarmit.
Old 20th September 2022, 04:53 AM   #253
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

She's not a senator.
1) That, too.
2) Whatever.
Old 20th September 2022, 05:05 AM   #254
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

First, I did a word search in this thread for 'shoot' and 'stab' and got only three hits. The first use was by angrysoba and then two replies. I don't really recall anyone seriously advocating shooting or stabbing emptyg.

Second, emptyg has used a lot of violent rhetoric or threats of violence to elicit attention and to provoke people. She 'liked' someone on Twitter writing the quickest way to get rid of Nancy Pelosi is a "bullet to the head." greene 'liked' comments about executing FBI agents who are part of the "deep state." greene has called for the imprisonment or execution of members of the opposition party. greene told a crowd of her supporters that Nancy Pelosi was a "traitor" and pointedly stated, "The penalty for treason is death."

greene has set the tone. She has set the bar very low. Her appeal is emotional and people are going to react in kind. This is one of the major reasons many people consider greene to be completely despicable, totally irresponsible and a real danger to our society.

greene filed articles of impeachment against President Biden on his first day in office.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the emptiest.jpg (129.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 20th September 2022, 06:58 AM   #255
W.D.Clinger
Philosopher

She's not a senator.
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
She's a Congrivarmit.
I thought she was a Congressvermin, but after consulting several dictionaries I see "varmint" and "vermin" are near-synonyms, with "varmint" used predominantly when referring to large vermin.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:09 AM   #256
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) on Wednesday said that GOP Reps. Marjorie Taylor Greene (Ga.) and Paul Gosar (Ariz.) will have their committee seats restored next year if Republicans win back the House despite their participation in a white nationalist conference last month.
McCarthy will say and do anything to stay on Trump's good side in order to get the House Speaker job. He's a weak and cowardly POS.
It doesn't matter WHY McCarthy's doing what he is doing... He has the the power and authority to make a firm decision. He is not.

Its not like Trump is threatening his life.
Quote:
In that article he didn't say he would give back her committee seats, only that “They have the ability to be able to get committees based upon that time when it comes." IOW: MTG and Gosar might get committees but not necessarily the ones they had before. If they do get assigned to a committee or two, I suspect they'll be the least desirable ones like House Administration and the Ethics Committee.
Its a distinction without difference. Even if they get stuck on one of the less desirable committees, its still an increase in their profiles from where they are now, it still gives them even more of a platform (even if its a minor one) to engage in their theatrics.

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 07:20 AM   #257
autumn1971
Illuminator

I have no problem with calling her a bitch or hag, or even saying "won't someone just slap her" (the last isn't really a call for actually slapping her), but I do agree that calling for stabbing or shooting her is beyond the pale. Unacceptable
********. The republican scum have killed people in order to create a fascist theocracy and openly call for subjugation of the majority of the country to their whims. It is time to do some slapping. Possibly milkshakes
-The Bard
Old 20th September 2022, 08:03 AM   #258
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe.

Then again it could be that his views are currently quite close to Marjorie Taylor Greene's. As far as I can see her views are the current Republican mainstream and the only problems that the GOP leadership may have with her is that she says the quiet part out loud.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 08:06 AM   #259
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

You're welcome. Yeah, ignore everything emptyg has done and said and make the issue about posters on an internet forum possibly using inappropriate terms to describe her. As we say in Nuu Yawk, "Gimme a freakin' break!"
It is possible to discuss more than one issue in a thread. Disagreeing about the terms that are being used to describe her doesn't mean one is endorsing her.

Personally I believe sinking down to "their" level just means everyone ends up rolling in the dirt /shrug
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 02:20 PM   #260
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't matter WHY McCarthy's doing what he is doing... He has the the power and authority to make a firm decision. He is not.

Its not like Trump is threatening his life.
It most certainly does matter WHY he's doing it. Unless Trump approves of him being the Speaker (if the GOP takes the House in Nov.), then he won't get it. If they don't and the Dems keep the House, they will likely remove her again. It's not like she's improved with age and stopped making her asinine and incendiary claims.

Its a distinction without difference. Even if they get stuck on one of the less desirable committees, its still an increase in their profiles from where they are now, it still gives them even more of a platform (even if its a minor one) to engage in their theatrics.
I disagree. One says they will get the same committee assignment while the other says “They have the ability to be able to get committees based upon that time when it comes." They are not necessarily the same committees.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:22 PM   #261
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

EmptyG has no committee assignments now. She won't get any in the future. Nobody with more than two brain cells, GOP included, wants her anywhere near the knobs and levers of power. For the moment, they are happy for her to be a nasty, slimy, little goblin of distraction.
Old 20th September 2022, 06:24 PM   #262
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

EmptyG has no committee assignments now. She won't get any in the future. Nobody with more than two brain cells, GOP included, wants her anywhere near the knobs and levers of power. For the moment, they are happy for her to be a nasty, slimy, little goblin of distraction.
I don't imagine even GOP members would want her on their committee. Too much crap to put up with and too little in return in actual contributions.
Old 20th September 2022, 08:04 PM   #263
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Betcha a quarter that she has some committee assignments by, oh, say, April?

Contingent on the GOP winning the House, of course, which seems very probable.

I don't see why you think they'd keep her off of committees. Sure, she's a pointless waste of oxygen, but she has a following and she makes headlines that please a large chunk of the base.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2022, 10:44 PM   #264
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Betcha a quarter that she has some committee assignments by, oh, say, April?

Contingent on the GOP winning the House, of course, which seems very probable.

I don't see why you think they'd keep her off of committees. Sure, she's a pointless waste of oxygen, but she has a following and she makes headlines that please a large chunk of the base.
I'll keep my two bits. Because I did say "nobody with more than two brain cells" would let her on a committee. Sadly, that does not entirely rule out all of the GOP.
Old 21st September 2022, 08:25 AM   #265
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I disagree. One says they will get the same committee assignment while the other says “They have the ability to be able to get committees based upon that time when it comes." They are not necessarily the same committees.
I never challenged your suggestion that they may not get on the same committees anymore.

What I said was that even if Greene were given the smallest, most inconsequential committee assignments (different from the ones she held), it would still be a promotion from her current situation where she is a congress critter without assignments. And even the most useless committee assignments would still give her a platform to engage in theatrics.

I can just imagine it now:

Chairman: "I now call to order the House committee responsible for purchasing toilet paper in the outhouses located in national parks"

Greene: "I propose that this committee pass a resolution that all toilet paper be labeled as for use by non-transexuals only. Also, we should buy Trump-branded toilet paper".

I'm Mary Poppins Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 21st September 2022 at 08:30 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 08:29 AM   #266
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
...Is there a guide that I can use to judge women against so I know which ones I can call a hag?
Oh for Christ's sake -- ever call anyone a jerk, or fool, or idiot? If you did, were you referring to that one person in particular, or were you applying that label to all humanity?

Stupid argument.
Old 21st September 2022, 08:46 AM   #267
sackett
Philosopher

Question: How much of a threat does Empty pose? She's one rep in a chamber of hundreds. We see her in the news and semi-news, and she's always a yuck,* but can she destroy anything?

* Yeah, I know, that's mostly a term of upchucking, but it also used to mean a short horse laff.

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 08:55 AM   #268
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Question: How much of a threat does Empty pose? She's one rep in a chamber of hundreds. We see her in the news and semi-news, and she's always a yuck,* but can she destroy anything?

* Yeah, I know, that's mostly a term of upchucking, but it also used to mean a short horse laff.
You are correct that she's just one member of Congress out of 535 (435 if you count only Representatives). But I think the damage she can do is still considerable. For one thing, she gives voice to the stupid and destructive. Second, she's a living example of the shortcomings of the American system, which our enemies can point to as an example of how badly U.S. democracy can fail. And finally, she's privy to confidential information that I have zero doubt she would freely share with dangerous elements, seeing as she does not consider the present government legitimate.
Old 21st September 2022, 09:43 AM   #269
sackett
Philosopher

Regarding MTG being privy to information: I don't know what constitutes confidential material, but surely she can't get her lunch hooks on classified documents? She doesn't sit on any committees, after all.

But you're right about the first two points. In these mad times even EmptyG can gather a mob -- excuse me, a following. And criticism of American politics gains some plausibility when you see that appalling face.

"Privy." Oddly suitable word, isn't it?

When I lashed them with a length of chain, they called me sir.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 02:42 PM   #270
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Regarding MTG being privy to information: I don't know what constitutes confidential material, but surely she can't get her lunch hooks on classified documents? She doesn't sit on any committees, after all.

But you're right about the first two points. In these mad times even EmptyG can gather a mob -- excuse me, a following. And criticism of American politics gains some plausibility when you see that appalling face.

"Privy." Oddly suitable word, isn't it?
"Privy to information" was probably overstating the case. It would probably be more accurate to say she could potentially use her office to gain access to things she shouldn't, and if successful would have no qualms about misusing this info to the detriment of the U.S.

As for the other uses of "privy" -- let's just say the comparison is certainly apt in terms of odiferous style and substance.
Old 21st September 2022, 03:30 PM   #271
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The way greene attacks people I'm still curious to know if she's had all her shots?
Total and complete fail. She's far more like one of those yappy toy poodles. All bark, all the time, but nothing behind it.
Old 21st September 2022, 05:16 PM   #272
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Total and complete fail. She's far more like one of those yappy toy poodles. All bark, all the time, but nothing behind it.
Yeah... all I can say is take care trying to walk away from an angry Chihuahua.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2022, 05:29 PM   #273
slyjoe
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Poodles are smart. MTG isn't.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 12:58 AM   #274
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I never challenged your suggestion that they may not get on the same committees anymore.

What I said was that even if Greene were given the smallest, most inconsequential committee assignments (different from the ones she held), it would still be a promotion from her current situation where she is a congress critter without assignments. And even the most useless committee assignments would still give her a platform to engage in theatrics.

I can just imagine it now:

Chairman: "I now call to order the House committee responsible for purchasing toilet paper in the outhouses located in national parks"

Greene: "I propose that this committee pass a resolution that all toilet paper be labeled as for use by non-transexuals only. Also, we should buy Trump-branded toilet paper".

My mistake, then. I read it differently. I actually have a roll of toilet paper with Trump's picture on it. I save it for those special occasions like eating sushi from a gas station quickie mart, or eating some unidentifiable left-over from the very back of the refrigerator after returning from a month's vacation, or the night before a colonoscopy.
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:32 AM   #275
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stellafane View Post
Oh for Christ's sake -- ever call anyone a jerk, or fool, or idiot? If you did, were you referring to that one person in particular, or were you applying that label to all humanity?

Stupid argument.
These are complaints about the person's behavior or judgment calls.

The use of an insult that ties in appearance and gender implies that one of those is also part of the problem.

For a more obvious example: I would object if a right-wing jerk called a political opponent a "fat bitch". Is this really any different?

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2022, 09:56 AM   #276
Stellafane
Village Idiot.

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
...I would object if a right-wing jerk called a political opponent a "fat bitch". Is this really any different?
Probably not, especially when so many other gender- and appearance-neutral terms (e.g. stupid, reprehensible, vile, disgusting, vomit-inducing, America-shaming, etc.) are both available and applicable. I guess I was taking exception to the implication if you call anyone by a certain term, it's akin to calling everyone by that term.
Old 28th September 2022, 08:29 PM   #277
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Kinda reminds me of the Conways.

https://www.businessinsider.com/rep-...rce-2022-9?amp
Old 28th September 2022, 08:34 PM   #278
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Another link that might be easier to read (MTG's husband has filed for divorce):

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/rep...rs-of-marriage

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 28th September 2022 at 08:35 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th September 2022, 08:51 PM   #279
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder how he lasted this long being married to that whack job.
Old 28th September 2022, 10:35 PM   #280
angrysoba
Philosophile

Form an orderly queue gents.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics