IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Closed Thread
Old 24th August 2022, 10:24 AM   #81
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Tbh I'm happy to buy beer in half litres as well. I already buy spirits in multiples of 25ml and Mrs Don is used to choosing between 175 and 250ml of vino collapso
Yeah, I just have an atavistic liking for pint glasses in pubs.

Obviously pretty much all beer at home comes in half or third litre cans or bottles.

Wine, in my mind, has always been SI; Carrot Flower Queen, who is the main sprits drinker, doesn't care what size a meassure is, as she is a Geordie with Scots and Irish ancestry (just to check all the clichés and stereotypes)...

Last edited by Carrot Flower King; 24th August 2022 at 10:28 AM. Reason: o
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 10:51 AM   #82
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
What a ******* waste of time the whole idea is. I just completed that, and I'm not sure how I managed to avoid swearing. I did copy and paste the following in most of the answer boxes, along with specific answers in some cases. "There is no need for a choice, metric measures are nearly universally used, and most of the population understand them. Introducing something which only those over 55 have any memory of is wasteful and will cost British business billions of pounds in export losses."
Thanks just done similar
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 11:30 AM   #83
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Disgusting stuff!

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 11:54 AM   #84
wobs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Disgusting stuff!
Mrs Wobs reports it doesn't taste the same anymore. We have some left over in the pantry. She is sad it has changed.
Old 24th August 2022, 12:14 PM   #85
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Mrs Wobs reports it doesn't taste the same anymore. We have some left over in the pantry. She is sad it has changed.
Likely less salt and fewer transfats.

Put some salt and lard in it and it'll be back to the taste she enjoyed
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 24th August 2022, 12:41 PM   #86
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

And, of course, BlowJob, who just had to stay in post to ensure the smooth running of gubbmint, but can't/won't make any actual real proper decisions, is totally able to jaunt off to Kyiv yet again for yet another photo op with Zelenko...

FFS!
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 12:56 AM   #87
Lothian
should be banned

Tell her that a dish similar to the original can be made using a potato.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 01:10 AM   #88
Blue Bubble
Sharper than a thorn

Consultation on choice of units of measurements ends on the 26th:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...ings-and-sales
What a ******* waste of time the whole idea is. I just completed that, and I'm not sure how I managed to avoid swearing. I did copy and paste the following in most of the answer boxes, along with specific answers in some cases. "There is no need for a choice, metric measures are nearly universally used, and most of the population understand them. Introducing something which only those over 55 have any memory of is wasteful and will cost British business billions of pounds in export losses."

I did the same. Sheer and utter insanity. I absolutely despair
Old 25th August 2022, 01:23 AM   #89
wobs
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
Tell her that a dish similar to the original can be made using a potato.
Not the same, according to Mrs Wobs.
Old 25th August 2022, 01:36 AM   #90
Lothian
should be banned

Not the same, according to Mrs Wobs.
Close runner up
Old 25th August 2022, 02:41 AM   #91
KDLarsen
Philosopher

Sounds like Sunak is getting desperate, he's now appealing to the anti-lockdown ERG/CRG crowd by saying lockdown went on for too long, and how we shouldn't have empowered scientists.
KDLarsen is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 02:45 AM   #92
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

GCSE results are out. Seems like the North/South divide is widening.

So much for levelling up
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 02:46 AM   #93
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Sounds like Sunak is getting desperate, he's now appealing to the anti-lockdown ERG/CRG crowd by saying lockdown went on for too long, and how we shouldn't have empowered scientists.
Well there would have been fewer Tory members to vote against him if Covid had been allowed to spread unfettered.
Old 25th August 2022, 02:46 AM   #94
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Sunak says it was a mistake to ‘empower scientists’ during Covid pandemic

Quote:
Rishi Sunak has claimed that it was a mistake to “empower scientists” during the coronavirus pandemic and that his opposition to closing schools was met with silence during one meeting.

The Conservative leadership candidate believes one of the major errors was allowing the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) to have so much influence on decision making such as closing nurseries, schools and colleges in March 2020.

We’re back to Gove’s “people have had enough of experts”.

No evidence that public have ‘had enough of experts’, study finds

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 02:57 AM   #95
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post

He’s hoping that the Tory membership will feel that they’re being attacked by the intelligent, educated segment of the culture.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 03:24 AM   #96
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Oh goody, leave schools open...Y'know, the biggest germ factories outside hospitals, which have the excuse of being full of sick people...

I lost count of the times over 30 odd years of working with bairns how many times I picked up flu or a chest infection by being coughed or sneezed on by someone's little dear who should not have been anywhere near where I was.

That would have been sooooo helpful in containing the spread of the virus.
Old 25th August 2022, 03:30 AM   #97
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Oh goody, leave schools open...Y'know, the biggest germ factories outside hospitals, which have the excuse of being full of sick people...

I lost count of the times over 30 odd years of working with bairns how many times I picked up flu or a chest infection by being coughed or sneezed on by someone's little dear who should not have been anywhere near where I was.

That would have been sooooo helpful in containing the spread of the virus.
The thing is that the ERG types didn't want to contain the spread of the virus, they wanted to minimise the economic impact, to them, of the virus.

They consider that it would have been better to let the virus run its course through the population, weeding out the old and sick and that would have been far, far better than what would have happened. It would also have had the added bonus of completely crippling the NHS making it ripe for privatisation reform.

Of course it's a complete fantasy and massively downplays how effective the lockdowns and other precautions were, how many people died despite all the precautions and how shocking the death toll would have been - but they live in a fantasy world anyway, one where Brexit wasn't a terrible idea.
Old 25th August 2022, 03:33 AM   #98
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

We’re back to Gove’s “people have had enough of experts”.

No evidence that public have ‘had enough of experts’, study finds
Was that study run by experts?
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 03:57 AM   #99
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And talk about forced questions:

Quote:
3a. If you had a choice, would you want to purchase items (i) in imperial units? (ii) in imperial units alongside a metric equivalent?
In imperial units
In imperial units alongside a metric equivalent
Please explain further if you wish
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 04:03 AM   #100
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

...snip...

Of course it's a complete fantasy and massively downplays how effective the lockdowns and other precautions were, how many people died despite all the precautions and how shocking the death toll would have been - but they live in a fantasy world anyway, one where Brexit wasn't a terrible idea.
It's that's weird viewpoint - because something was effective shows it was all unnecessary as it wasn't as bad as they said it could have been. Akin to the view that all the talk about consequences of the Y2K bug were proven wrong....
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 04:20 AM   #101
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's that's weird viewpoint - because something was effective shows it was all unnecessary as it wasn't as bad as they said it could have been. Akin to the view that all the talk about consequences of the Y2K bug were proven wrong....
Yes, exactly like that.

As someone who spent a lot of time finding (and fixing) Y2k bugs, it makes me smile when I'm told that my efforts weren't needed.

Likewise, as a professional Project/Programme Manager, Mrs Don is often told by clients that her efforts were unnecessary because "nothing went wrong on the project"
Old 25th August 2022, 04:31 AM   #102
Lothian
should be banned

Yes, exactly like that.

As someone who spent a lot of time finding (and fixing) Y2k bugs, it makes me smile when I'm told that my efforts weren't needed.

Likewise, as a professional Project/Programme Manager, Mrs Don is often told by clients that her efforts were unnecessary because "nothing went wrong on the project"
It didn't make a plane fall from the sky or shut down a building but we had a Y2K related glitch that wasn't picked up for a while that cost a lot of money.
Old 25th August 2022, 04:34 AM   #103
Lothian
should be banned

On the other hand my elephant deterrent wrist band continues to successfully protect me from pachyderm attacks.
Old 25th August 2022, 04:40 AM   #104
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Yes, exactly like that.

Exactly; I worked in support (after being in development and fixing some y2k bugs), and you got more recognition for fixing a problem that should never have happened than you did for making sure problems never happened in the first place.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 04:50 AM   #105
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ears-contracts
....Major energy firms are refusing to supply small businesses out of concern that they could go bust, while some are demanding £10,000 up front, business owners and industry experts have told the Guardian....
Matches up to my own experience - a friend of mine that has a small industrial unit on a small trading estate near here and they are thinking that if energy cost go up much more they are going to have to close their business. They rent their unit from the TE's management company who also supply the electricity, it's not the cheapest electricity but it's a typical set up for a small trading estate. Electric costs have almost doubled since this time last year. And it isn't even the TE ripping them off - the TE announced back in April that from June they would no longer be adding a "surcharge" to the unit cost.
Old 25th August 2022, 05:23 AM   #106
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ears-contracts
....Major energy firms are refusing to supply small businesses out of concern that they could go bust, while some are demanding £10,000 up front, business owners and industry experts have told the Guardian....
Matches up to my own experience - a friend of mine that has a small industrial unit on a small trading estate near here and they are thinking that if energy cost go up much more they are going to have to close their business. They rent their unit from the TE's management company who also supply the electricity, it's not the cheapest electricity but it's a typical set up for a small trading estate. Electric costs have almost doubled since this time last year. And it isn't even the TE ripping them off - the TE announced back in April that from June they would no longer be adding a "surcharge" to the unit cost.
Our village shop is closing at the end of next month

It was doing OK, just about breaking even, but electricity costs have seen it off.
Old 25th August 2022, 05:41 AM   #107
wobs
Illuminator

Link on the page finds an opinion that Truss would have to call an election sooner rather than later:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...prime-minister

[sarcasm]Because we haven't had enough of this. [/sarcasm]
Old 25th August 2022, 08:19 AM   #108
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-great-britain

We are screwed, aren't we?

(PS I was one of the next to no-one round here who was in favour of those wind turbines over ----> there and even wanted more of them, 'cos the wind blows more than it doesn't.)
Old 25th August 2022, 09:06 AM   #109
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

(PS I was one of the next to no-one round here who was in favour of those wind turbines over ----> there and even wanted more of them, 'cos the wind blows more than it doesn't.)
We're so screwed I'm surprised anybody wants to be Prime Minister.
Old 25th August 2022, 09:16 AM   #110
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

I actually find wind turbines and solar farms aesthetically pleasing, let alone the renewable energy considerations. I can understand some noise concerns if a turbine were right next to your house but field of turbines on the next mountain? Not just no problem, actually looks way cool!

On a similar note, I remember reading an article on solar panels that had been developed that not only would work in rain but could draw extra power from it - now that would put Wales at the centre of green energy production! Powered by drizzle - never run out!

Back to the depressing stuff, saw an interview a while back with Tory party members who will be selecting our next PM and one quite happily said 'I'm of an age now where I couldn't give a toss about the sustainability of the planet, I just want to enjoy my life now'. On one level, you have to admire the honesty of someone basically admitting on camera 'Yes, I'm a complete ****'...on the other hand, **** me!
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 10:42 AM   #111
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post
I actually find wind turbines and solar farms aesthetically pleasing, let alone the renewable energy considerations. I can understand some noise concerns if a turbine were right next to your house but field of turbines on the next mountain? Not just no problem, actually looks way cool!

On a similar note, I remember reading an article on solar panels that had been developed that not only would work in rain but could draw extra power from it - now that would put Wales at the centre of green energy production! Powered by drizzle - never run out!

Back to the depressing stuff, saw an interview a while back with Tory party members who will be selecting our next PM and one quite happily said 'I'm of an age now where I couldn't give a toss about the sustainability of the planet, I just want to enjoy my life now'. On one level, you have to admire the honesty of someone basically admitting on camera 'Yes, I'm a complete ****'...on the other hand, **** me!
I bet they thought that way since forever, and back in the 70s would have thought that the likes of teenage me, doing conservation work and being involved in various political campaigns of a proto-green nature, was some sort of dangerous lunatic.
Old 25th August 2022, 11:11 AM   #112
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ethan Thane Athen View Post

Give it a hundred years and people will be campaigning to leave our heritage alone and don’t pull down the turbines.
Old 25th August 2022, 12:20 PM   #113
P.J. Denyer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
We're so screwed I'm surprised anybody wants to be Prime Minister.
I think they know they're going to be out of power for a while and want to take the chance to have been Prime Minister while the window is still open.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 12:42 PM   #114
wobs
Illuminator

Give it a hundred years and people will be campaigning to leave our heritage alone and don’t pull down the turbines.
Well I think some people were kind of sad that the Fylingdales golf balls were taken down after only a few decades.
Old 25th August 2022, 01:40 PM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It amazes me that so many in Britian just do not want to accept the reality that the UK is part of Europe.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 01:43 PM   #116
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

At times I think the Brixeters simply don't get that Queen VIctoria is dead, and the British Empire no longer exists, which makes it impossbile to turn the clock back to 1900.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 25th August 2022, 01:45 PM   #117
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

So Truss looks like a shoo in winner.
TOries are really that hard up for leaders.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th August 2022, 03:13 PM   #118
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Woman confronts Steve Barclay on NHS outside hospital

Quote:
”Well don’t you think 12 years is long enough?”

Old 26th August 2022, 01:45 AM   #119
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It amazes me that so many in Britian just do not want to accept the reality that the UK is part of Europe.
This, and your other comment, are very close to the truth: there is a strong strain of, especially, English exceptionalism, which overrides geography (ie where this archipelago actually is) and wants to do the same to history (ignoring inconvenient facts like the Empire was already screwed while Victoria was still alive and became progressively more so as the 20th century developed).
Old 26th August 2022, 02:05 AM   #120
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The apocryphal headline "Fog in Channel - Europe cut off" neatly encapsulates this IMO.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics