IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Closed Thread
Old 7th September 2022, 01:03 AM   #281
Wudang
BOFH

That's from 2020 and he lost to Starmer.
Old 7th September 2022, 01:04 AM   #282
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunately, the infighting in the Labour Party continues.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 01:06 AM   #283
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The point is led Labor to a series of defeats in situations where they could have won.
He failed i nthe first job of a party leader: Get his party elected.
IMHO he was too far to the left to be an acceptable alternative by the british press, but since you share his left wing views I know you will never accept that.
Fixed that for you.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 01:09 AM   #284
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Yes, popular among Labour Party members in 2020 after members like me had already left the party leaving mostly only the old Trots and students.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 01:23 AM   #285
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The point is led Labor to a series of defeats in situations where they could have won....snip..
The loyal opposition can only lose seats, is that what you are talking about with a "series" of defeats?
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 01:25 AM   #286
Wudang
BOFH

The point is led Labor to a series of defeats in situations where they could have won.
IMHO he was too far to the left to be an acceptable alternative, but since you share his left wing views I know you will never accept that.
I share a good few of his left wing views. Doesn't change the fact that he was useless as a leader. "Constructive ambiguity" my self-censored elided.
Old 7th September 2022, 01:27 AM   #287
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Yes, popular among Labour Party members in 2020 after members like me had already left the party leaving mostly only the old Trots and students.
Disagree with you, there was a hell of a lot more than the "old trots and students" who celebrated his rise. There was a swell of optimism about having a "real labour" labour leader that went far beyond the usual party members. The issue was that most people who were optimistic weren't aware of his actual political history and he was an ineffectual politician never mind leader.
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 01:29 AM   #288
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

But I do think it is amazing how he is still being actively pilloried and blamed for what the Tories did and are doing.
Old 7th September 2022, 01:31 AM   #289
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

IMHO he was too far to the left to be an acceptable alternative, but since you share his left wing views I know you will never accept that.
(Got my responses mixed up.)

In the strange alternate-facts world we live in it is a sad fact that when not told the political party that originated a policy most people in the UK will agree more with Labour's proposed policies than the Tories.
Old 7th September 2022, 01:43 AM   #290
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

In the strange alternate-facts world we live in it is a sad fact that when not told the political party that originated a policy most people in the UK will agree more with Labour's proposed policies than the Tories.

True.

I suspect this is part of the problem...

https://www.reddit.com/r/LeopardsAte..._disaster_our/

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 01:43 AM   #291
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

....and it's the same in the US when it comes to Democratic Party policies.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 01:50 AM   #292
Mr Fied
Muse

Totally agree with this.

However, although many may approve of Labour's social and economic policies, listening to what is being said in the workplace, pub, high street etc, the overiding issue I hear is still immigration. Yes, this is being pushed by the right wing media to scare the "ordinary" person into voting Tory, but unfortunately it seems to work. It doesn't seem to matter how much they **** up the country, as long as they are the party for the racists they will continue to get their majority of English seats.

How we change the xenophobic/racist nature of many I have no idea, but until we do the Tories have a high chance of staying in power.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 02:24 AM   #293
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Yeah, that cheered me up. Briefly.
IMG-20220905-WA0000.jpg

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 03:09 AM   #294
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Quite: I have a Tory-voting neighbour (they told me; I didn't ask), who thinks the Newcastle Chronicle is "too Labour" FFS, but, as an ex-railway bod, their views on transport issues are closer to Labour and their views on NHS matters (there are quite a few ex-NHS bods in the village) are far more Labour than Tory, likewise several other issues. But they will not vote Labour...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 03:15 AM   #295
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

And I wonder if Truss knows that she has actually given Tory Girl a huuuuuuuge poisoned chalice in making her Transport Secretary?

Tory Girl, going back to when she was the local Tory PPC, has made a lot of noise about sorting out transport up here, especially the single carriage farm track that passes for most of the A1 north of Morpeth. These are things which manyof her constituents feel very strongly about. She's got away with it since 2015, as she was a backbencher, then in non-transport gubbmint roles, but now...

If she hasn't at least been seen to try to do something by the next GE...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 03:19 AM   #296
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Quite: I have a Tory-voting neighbour (they told me; I didn't ask), who thinks the Newcastle Chronicle is "too Labour" FFS, but, as an ex-railway bod, their views on transport issues are closer to Labour and their views on NHS matters (there are quite a few ex-NHS bods in the village) are far more Labour than Tory, likewise several other issues. But they will not vote Labour...
Now I'm getting more er old (I don't ever recall signing up for that) - a lot of my friends and acquaintances are older and finding they need the NHS much more than ever. They are all constantly complaining, how terrible it is, no GP appointments, can't get a scan, it's all about money and so on and I really thought it would be a "wedge" issue. Yet they just do not seem to be able to understand that their Tory vote is why it is in the state it is - the general attitude is it would be worse under Labour or it IS Labour's fault because of the global financial crash their policies caused or Labour didn't put enough money into the NHS.....

(I live in one of the safest Tory constituencies so never expect to see a great change but you would have thought it would have at least had people considering who to vote for.)
Old 7th September 2022, 03:22 AM   #297
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

And I wonder if Truss knows that she has actually given Tory Girl a huuuuuuuge poisoned chalice in making her Transport Secretary?

Tory Girl, going back to when she was the local Tory PPC, has made a lot of noise about sorting out transport up here, especially the single carriage farm track that passes for most of the A1 north of Morpeth. These are things which manyof her constituents feel very strongly about. She's got away with it since 2015, as she was a backbencher, then in non-transport gubbmint roles, but now...

It's been upgraded?
Old 7th September 2022, 03:28 AM   #298
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

It's still Labour's, and in particular Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

It's probably because there's at least one Labour Party councillor in the area.
Old 7th September 2022, 04:05 AM   #299
erwinl
Illuminator

It's still Labour's, and in particular Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

It's probably because there's at least one Labour Party councillor in the area.
In the end it is the British voter that is ultimately at blame.
No matter if Labour, or Corbyn in particular, was not the perfect antidote against the Tories, in the end the voters went with the Tory option.
No matter by voting for Tory, or by abstaining voting for Labour.

If the effective choice is between A and B, and the only way to stop A is by letting B win, then every vote not for B (be they for C or abstaining) is in effect a vote for A.
This is the unfortunate result of the British (and American) political system.
Maybe a better system is needed? One where minor parties can also be of influence and where the endresult of a majority government does automaically mean they have the vote of the majority of the voters behind them.
Does mean that there have to be compromises and a willingness of working together with people of other parties though.
Old 7th September 2022, 04:09 AM   #300
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Maybe a better system is needed?
I believe the current system is working exactly as intended by those that benefit from it.

We had a vote a while ago on, I think, Single transferable vote, which was trashed by the press and therefore lost.

Anything that is likely to lead to a loss of power for the Tories or a shift leftwards in the overton window (which has travelled so far right that taxing the rich is now seen as 'loony left') will be trashed by the billionnaire, tax-exile owned press.

We're ******.

Old 7th September 2022, 04:47 AM   #301
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post
Totally agree with this.

However, although many may approve of Labour's social and economic policies, listening to what is being said in the workplace, pub, high street etc, the overiding issue I hear is still immigration. Yes, this is being pushed by the right wing media to scare the "ordinary" person into voting Tory, but unfortunately it seems to work. It doesn't seem to matter how much they **** up the country, as long as they are the party for the racists they will continue to get their majority of English seats.

How we change the xenophobic/racist nature of many I have no idea, but until we do the Tories have a high chance of staying in power.
Well, Truss might have done something to nudge the racist votes away with her diverse choice of ministers. Just today I saw a Facebook comment "She's not for Britain. Just look at her cabinet."
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 04:53 AM   #302
wobs
Illuminator

Look North last night interviewed people in Grimsby. Many lamented how good Johnson was, and wsa sad he was gone, given he got us through Brexit/Covid etc.

I had to turn it off. Is this view about Johnson that common?
Old 7th September 2022, 05:17 AM   #303
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wobs View Post
Look North last night interviewed people in Grimsby. Many lamented how good Johnson was, and wsa sad he was gone, given he got us through Brexit/Covid etc.

In my experience, yes. Many (most) people are comprehensively underinformed.
Old 7th September 2022, 05:19 AM   #304
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

I get the impression that yes, astonishingly it is.

We might roll our eyes at those Russians who get their news from state TV and think Putin's special military action is a noble cause rescuing Ukrainians from the evil Nazis among them, but people here who get their news from the Mail and Express have the delusion that Boris is a new Churchill who Got Brexit Done and steered us through Covid.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 05:28 AM   #305
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
In the end it is the British voter that is ultimately at blame.
No matter if Labour, or Corbyn in particular, was not the perfect antidote against the Tories, in the end the voters went with the Tory option.
No matter by voting for Tory, or by abstaining voting for Labour.

If the effective choice is between A and B, and the only way to stop A is by letting B win, then every vote not for B (be they for C or abstaining) is in effect a vote for A.
This is the unfortunate result of the British (and American) political system.
Maybe a better system is needed? One where minor parties can also be of influence and where the endresult of a majority government does automaically mean they have the vote of the majority of the voters behind them.
Does mean that there have to be compromises and a willingness of working together with people of other parties though.
It feels as if we're in the early-mid 1990s, with a Tory government that's been in power too long and a change is desperately needed. But the difference this time is there isn't an alternative which convinces enough voters it would be a competent replacement. Back then we had John Smith looking as trustworthy and sensible as an old-style bank manager, allaying the fears of more reactionary voters about what Labour might do if given power. Sadly he didn't live to see it, but fundamentally, then as now it was a wide open goal, the Tories were a complete ******** and all Labour had to do was look electable. Under Smith (and eventually Blair) they did.
Old 7th September 2022, 06:22 AM   #306
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Ress Mogg , Climate deneir, now has position in Truss's energy program
GOd Rees Mogg is going to be bad news. he comes off alike the classic Brit Aristocrat who thinks the lower classed should knew their place and take off their hats when the local squire walks by.
It's a cultivated personna.

He's a Steve Bannon, but hiding behind a fuddy-duddy image that distracts from his radical right-wing authoritarianism.

I've seen him described as a "comedy fascist" and the person pointing that out 2as saying that the comedy is intentional.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 07:53 AM   #307
MarkCorrigan
Penultimate Amazing

Only some of the members as well. I was a member in 2020 and I never got asked.

Had I been I'd have been lukewarm. Generally liked his policies, thought he was election suicide for the party.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 07:54 AM   #308
MarkCorrigan
Penultimate Amazing

Yup. The most popular newspapers in the UK are the Sun and the Mail. The average Brit is staggeringly ill informed and/or delusional and/or stupid.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 08:16 AM   #309
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

It's been upgraded?
Well, there's the dualled bit from the Coquet to Alnwick and then the race track by Brownieside, where all the regular users warp speed by the trucks and caravans before you are back on farm track until the Scottish border.

Several of my managers never believed us about how long it really takes to get from Alnwick to Berwick, as they'd just look at a map and say "20 minutes, surely?". We'd all give a hollow laugh and ask them to drive us up there in that time...I shed the time equivalent of 4-5 appointments a week to allow for getting between Alnwick and Berwick.
Old 7th September 2022, 09:40 AM   #310
catsmate
No longer the 1

Just as the great British public rebelled against Cameron ordering them to vote Remain and then voting for Truss instead of the MP's choice, Sunak - albeit by only a small portion of the population
Bollocks.
The membership of the Conservative party voted for Truss, around 160,000 people out of 48 million, or one in three hundred. And an utterly unrepresentative proportion, either by age, location, gender, ethnicity or personal wealth.
Around 64% male, >95% "white British", >80% ABC1, median age 57.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:41 AM   #311
catsmate
No longer the 1

You have obviously been looking at Fox News and the Murdoch press because actually Corbyn was very popular. He had more votes than Starmer.

Like Truss he was popular with a tiny group unrepresentative of the electorate in general.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 09:43 AM   #312
catsmate
No longer the 1

Labour party (not to certain members regarding the correct spelling) members number ~415,000. Out of an electorate of 48 million.
Old 7th September 2022, 10:05 AM   #313
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Liz Truss says she won't impose a windfall tax on energy companies because people want to keep "their money in their pockets"

The lies continue
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 11:11 AM   #314
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Bollocks.
The membership of the Conservative party voted for Truss, around 160,000 people out of 48 million, or one in three hundred. And an utterly unrepresentative proportion, either by age, location, gender, ethnicity or personal wealth.
Around 64% male, >95% "white British", >80% ABC1, median age 57.
I did say:

'-albeit by only a small portion of the population'.

Do keep up.

~ Danzig

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 11:38 AM   #315
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Labour party (not to certain members regarding the correct spelling) members number ~415,000. Out of an electorate of 48 million.
Glass houses, stones
Old 7th September 2022, 02:31 PM   #316
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Oh well, the jubilant party scenes as depicted by the tabloids 'In Liz We Truss' and something about 'deliver, deliver, deliver', has the FT raining on its parade. This is the paper of the ruling classes telling the ruling classes how things really are.

"Markets Shudder as Pound Slides at Scale of Challenge Facing Truss".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ft.jpg (47.0 KB, 7 views)

~ Danzig

Old 7th September 2022, 03:25 PM   #317
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Oh well, the jubilant party scenes as depicted by the tabloids 'In Liz We Truss' and something about 'deliver, deliver, deliver', has the FT raining on its parade. This is the paper of the ruling classes telling the ruling classes how things really are.

Business is brutally realistic, and they are under no delusions about Truss's abilities as a leader.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 03:27 PM   #318
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Like Truss he was popular with a tiny group unrepresentative of the electorate in general.
This is why I am not crazy about the way the Parties in the UK end up selecting a leader;IMHO the rank and film party member should have a much more direct say in who will lead the party. the way things stand it is far too easy in both parties for a small clique to get their person in.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 7th September 2022, 03:29 PM   #319
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Yup. The most popular newspapers in the UK are the Sun and the Mail. The average Brit is staggeringly ill informed and/or delusional and/or stupid.
When I first went to the UK, I was shocked by what the main papers are like.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th September 2022, 03:31 PM   #320
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Seems to me that the FT has been, for a long time, the most reasonable and realistic of the right-wing papers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics