IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Closed Thread
Old 4th February 2023, 03:51 PM   #2921
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by HansMustermann View Post
Honest question: do you "woke" clowns even realize how ridiculous you are when trying to tell an actual trans (at one point) how he/she/it should feel and think about trans issues?

Because, for better or worse, I actually was a trans-girl at one point. (Or arguably "transed.)

You weren't.

Do you even have ANY idea of what the actual issues an actual trans faces? Like, what it's like to actually go to the high school principal and demand to play basketball with the girls instead of football with the boys? Or to, honest to god, go demand to get a mammogram like the rest of the girls? (Yeah, so I may have gone overboard a bit)

No, I don't think you do. But somehow you feel secure in patting yourselves on the back for being so 'progressive' bleating to me about it.

Yah, in spite of that, some of you "woke" clowns feel entitled to tell me how I should feel about it, and what a reactionary I am if I don't let you tell me what I should think.

That's not being an ally. That's the 18'th century "mission to civilize" mind set, where you're the superior race, and I'm the one who should be 'civilized' by you superior folks. It's that much being a stupid wanker, feeding your ego at the expense of those you're supposedly 'protecting' from themselves.

No, you're not 'progressive', or anything else you tell yourselves to prevent realizing how much of a waste of oxygen loser you are. You're the epitome of an entitled wanker exercising their entitlement.
It looks like you haven’t read this thread. Despite LJs rants, nobody here is denying the rights of trans people to equality when it comes to things like employment and housing. Nobody has expressed any objection to people dressing and living the way they prefer and to have access to medical treatment to assist transition.

The problem is that so many TRAs demand access to women’s private places, eligibility to women’s scholarships, access to women’s prisons and shelters. They demand to play women’s sports, which is unfair and sometimes dangerous to women. Most transwomen making these demands have penises and some have raped women in their so-called safe places. What I and others object to is the attack on women’s rights by TRAs.

But thanks for your depiction of posters and your drive-by.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th February 2023, 04:11 PM   #2922
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, thing is, you actually describe my position. I never actually went to the girls' bathroom or other private spaces, nor did I ever support that kind of thing. I suppose I did play a sport with the girls (basketball), but never in any competitive setting, and I always made a point to just pass the ball and never use my otherwise testosterone-based advantages at all. (Seriously, they were surprised when I showed what I could actually do at one point after school.) But these days I'm told I'm some kind of alt-right short-stache goose-stepping card-carrying NSDAP member if I maintain the exact same views: stay out of the girls' toilet, don't push them out of sports, don't EVER end up in a physical fight against an actual girl, and no, you're not an actual girl in any meaningful sense, etc.

But somehow some cis guys feel entitled to tell me that they should tell me I'm wrong...
Old 4th February 2023, 04:13 PM   #2923
TomB
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
I'd venture to guess that whatever term had been invented, it would've become an insult eventually.
As to why it was created:
Quote:
I do find the renewed interest over the last few years in writing of mine from a decade ago disconcerting. The Terf acronym has long since left that particular discussion (and me) behind, and been weaponised at times by both those who advocate trans-inclusion in feminist/female spaces, and those who push for trans-exclusion from female-only spaces. I have no control over how others use a word (as it has now become) that came about simply to save typing a longer phrase out over and over again - a shorthand to describe one cohort of feminists who self-identify as radical and are unwilling to recognise trans women as sisters, unlike those of us who do.
And an alternative by the same author:
Quote:
I also mentioned another term which didn’t catch on, perhaps at least partly because it was less ambiguous about who exactly was being described:

After a bit more reading, I think the trans-exclusionary set should better be described as TES, with the S standing for separatists. A lot of the positions that are presented seem far too essentialist to be adequately described as feminist, let alone radical feminist.”
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ed?CMP=soc_568

She was basically trying to write about two subgroups of radical feminists, delineated on views on trans women. Yes, she is/was pro-trans. But I think she was trying to be, if not neutral, descriptive as opposed to denigrating.

But all of this is beside the point. Both descriptive terms have been weaponized beyond their literal meaning. (I've read claims that "TRA" is meant to resemble "MRA" and is used in a similar fashion. )
Quote:
An acronym for Trans Rights Activist. As distinguished from transgendered people in general, TRA is usually reserved as a pejorative for those who are perceived as the most demanding or politically extreme among trans folk.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...erm=Tra&page=2
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th February 2023, 04:14 PM   #2924
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Well, thing is, you actually describe my position. I never actually went to the girls' bathroom or other private spaces, nor did I ever support that kind of thing. I suppose I did play a sport with the girls (basketball), but never in any competitive setting, and I always made a point to just pass the ball and never use my otherwise testosterone-based advantages at all. (Seriously, they were surprised when I showed what I could actually do at one point after school.) But these days I'm told I'm some kind of alt-right short-stache goose-stepping card-carrying NSDAP member if I maintain the exact same views: stay out of the girls' toilet, don't push them out of sports, don't EVER end up in a physical fight against an actual girl, and no, you're not an actual girl in any meaningful sense, etc.

But somehow some cis guys feel entitled to tell me that they should tell me I'm wrong...
You definitely haven't been reading this thread, if that's your takeaway.
Old 4th February 2023, 04:21 PM   #2925
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It would be really great if you can show where these views have been expressed in this thread about any transwomen who is respectful of women. There are plenty of examples of hatred of women by transwomen linked in this thread, even very recently, including calls to punch or even kill “TERFS”. Care to comment about these examples?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th February 2023, 04:22 PM   #2926
Elaedith
Master Poster

I can think of only one person posting here who would probably say you were wrong, and he wouldn't so much say 'wrong' as that you weren't really trans if you didn't see yourself as an actual girl. We have cited articles by trans people before (e.g. Debbie Hayton) who are critical of gender identity theory and don't think they have actually changed sex or that sexes should be redefined as identities.

Actually I know quite a few trans people now with similar views to yours.
Old 4th February 2023, 04:24 PM   #2927
TomB
Graduate Poster

Your position sounds pretty similar to Blair White and Rose of Dawn.
It's very hard to tell what positions are held by actual members of the trans community. I imagine there is quite a variation.

The views that get the most press or social media attention are the most extreme ones. Similarly, people who misbehave or cause controversy also get headlines. I don't think pointing to Jessica Yaniv or Danielle Muscata as representative of the trans community is accurate.

Both sides in this debate seem to think they know all about the psychology and motivations of trans people, and I think both sides (as represented here) are likely wrong.

I, for one, am interested in your perspective. I'd also like to hear the perspective of people who are currently trans. What they actually want and think is reasonable and what portions of that come into conflict with what women want where rights butt up against each other.
TomB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th February 2023, 04:41 PM   #2928
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Well, maybe not the most extreme examples in this particular thread, but at least on Twitter I'm basically told just that: I'm some kind of alt-right short-stache goose-stepping card-carrying NSDAP member if I didn't want to go into the girls' bathroom.

In fact, not just on Twitteer. A few articles straight up tell me I'm the worst human ever (which you'd think would be quite a difficult achievement given Caligula and Commodus and whatnot) if I even have any other issues as a higher priority than that I should have gotten into the girls' bathroom and lockers.
Old 4th February 2023, 04:49 PM   #2929
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Well, maybe not the most extreme examples in this particular thread, but at least on Twitter I'm basically told just that: I'm some kind of alt-right short-stache goose-stepping card-carrying NSDAP member if I didn't want to go into the girls' bathroom.

In fact, not just on Twitteer. A few articles straight up tell me I'm the worst human ever (which you'd think would be quite a difficult achievement given Caligula and Commodus and whatnot) if I even have any other issues as a higher priority than that I should have gotten into the girls' bathroom and lockers.
Well thank you, but it would help if you withdrew comments like “do you "woke" clowns even realize how ridiculous you are”. They are unworthy of you.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 4th February 2023, 04:50 PM   #2930
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Ok, consider them withdrawn if that makes you feel any better.
Old 4th February 2023, 04:51 PM   #2931
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Now I'm super confused. Are you biologically male? Or biologically female?
Old 4th February 2023, 04:53 PM   #2932
Elaedith
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TomB View Post
Your position sounds pretty similar to Blair White and Rose of Dawn.
It's very hard to tell what positions are held by actual members of the trans community. I imagine there is quite a variation.

The views that get the most press or social media attention are the most extreme ones. Similarly, people who misbehave or cause controversy also get headlines. I don't think pointing to Jessica Yaniv or Danielle Muscata as representative of the trans community is accurate.

Both sides in this debate seem to think they know all about the psychology and motivations of trans people, and I think both sides (as represented here) are likely wrong.

I, for one, am interested in your perspective. I'd also like to hear the perspective of people who are currently trans. What they actually want and think is reasonable and what portions of that come into conflict with what women want where rights butt up against each other.
I think different trans people have very different motivations for transitioning (or identifying as another gender). It's a particular strand of dominant activists who push a specific ideological perspective on being transgender that suits their purposes and won't tolerate any dissent, including from other trans people.

'Dr María Inés de la Cruz' on twitter is an interesting example of the 'wrong type of trans' person being marginalized by activists.
Old 4th February 2023, 05:12 PM   #2933
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Now I'm super confused. Are you biologically male? Or biologically female?
I think I posted (bits of pieces of) this before. For years, even.

Mom wanted a son, grandma wanted a granddaughter. Both got their wish. I was biologically male, but Mom just passed me off to grandma to raise, which had me BE a girl until I was about 14 years old, at which point it was kinda hard to pass me off for a girl.

I was raised to basically change gender at the drop of a coin. Mom left for work, I was a girl. I had a girl name. I had a beheaded doll like Wednesday Addams. I had a pink dress with the buttons on the 'girl' side. I played with other girls outside. And allegedly I at least once hold off peeing until I was just about to explode because in my preschool little mind I thought someone might notice I don't pee like a girl. Then mom came home and I suddenly was a boy.

I didn't really think much about it at the moment. When I was with grandma, she said I was a girl, so I was a girl. When I was with mom, she said I was a boy, so I was a boy. If you can't trust your mom and grandma, who can you trust, right?

I kinda got... confused for a while after that. I just... was used to being a girl. I had been a girl FAR more than I had been a boy, and at that most of my social interactions had been as a girl. (Plus the occasional faux pas like introducing myself by my girl name in first grade.)

To be honest, I'm an old guy and I STILL find it more natural to think of myself as... well... there's a reason for the gender on my forum pic

I don't think I ever thought of it as "identifying" as a girl, because to my mind when you identify X as Y, you're saying X=Y. I was pretty sure I had differences from an actual girl.

Really, I only ever "identified" as "me."

Last edited by HansMustermann; 4th February 2023 at 05:14 PM.
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 4th February 2023, 05:21 PM   #2934
Rolfe
Adult human female

Your (slightly later than) midnight check-in on the petition reports 78,609 signatures, so 237 new signatures today. A bit quieter again.

The new magic number is 285.2.
Old 4th February 2023, 05:25 PM   #2935
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I think I posted (bits of pieces of) this before. For years, even.

Mom wanted a son, grandma wanted a granddaughter. Both got their wish. I was biologically male, but Mom just passed me off to grandma to raise, which had me BE a girl until I was about 14 years old, at which point it was kinda hard to pass me off for a girl.

I was raised to basically change gender at the drop of a coin. Mom left for work, I was a girl. I had a girl name. I had a beheaded doll like Wednesday Addams. I had a pink dress with the buttons on the 'girl' side. I played with other girls outside. And allegedly I at least once hold off peeing until I was just about to explode because in my preschool little mind I thought someone might notice I don't pee like a girl. Then mom came home and I suddenly was a boy.

I didn't really think much about it at the moment. When I was with grandma, she said I was a girl, so I was a girl. When I was with mom, she said I was a boy, so I was a boy. If you can't trust your mom and grandma, who can you trust, right?

I kinda got... confused for a while after that. I just... was used to being a girl. I had been a girl FAR more than I had been a boy, and at that most of my social interactions had been as a girl. (Plus the occasional faux pas like introducing myself by my girl name in first grade.)

To be honest, I'm an old guy and I STILL find it more natural to think of myself as... well... there's a reason for the gender on my forum pic

I don't think I ever thought of it as "identifying" as a girl, because to my mind when you identify X as Y, you're saying X=Y. I was pretty sure I had differences from an actual girl.

Really, I only ever "identified" as "me."
I didn't ask your gender, or what you identify as.

I asked what your biological sex is.

Are you biologically male? It's a simple question with an unequivocal yes or no answer.
Old 4th February 2023, 05:30 PM   #2936
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing

As the second paragraph says, "I was biologically male". I trust that you can deduce that I still am. I mean, even with alchemy and the law of equivalent exchange, that doesn't change
Old 4th February 2023, 06:02 PM   #2937
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Hans - Thanks for sharing all that at #2933.

It's always interesting to hear from people with very different experiences and perspectives.

ETA: This tweet raises an interesting point about mind/body dualism
https://twitter.com/SecularOutpost/s...02630745415680

I don't think Ms Buttons is being entirely fair, but the metaphysical status of gender identity is a bit mysterious. Having never felt any sense of gender or sexual incongruence, my perspective is a bit like a 4th grader's take on sexual attraction.

Last edited by d4m10n; 4th February 2023 at 06:31 PM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 06:47 AM   #2938
Stout
Philosopher

Cheers, thanks for that. I've always wonder whether trans acting like you did actually existed. I assumed they did but having next to zero IRL experience with trans people I didn't know for sure. I had my hair cut by a ladyboy in Thailand once and when I lived right in the middle of a massive gay neighborhood (Davie Village, Vancouver) for 6 years, the trans community wasn't visible at all. Rumor has it that this one super gay neighbor I had, the one his roomates described as way "way too faggy" left town and was living as a woman in Toronto.

Oh and once an obviously trans street prostitute waved to me as I was sitting on my motorcycle at a stoplight. That's really about it. The trans issue, for me at least, exists solely on my computer screen
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 07:09 AM   #2939
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

I'd be interested in a legal take on this if we've got any British lawyers here:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/62794267.amp

p.s. Ireland looks unstoppable this year.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by d4m10n; 5th February 2023 at 07:56 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 07:49 AM   #2940
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I'd be interested in a legal take on this if we've got any British lawyers here:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/62794267.amp

...snip...
It's as the article states, there are exceptions allowed to maintain segregation by sex in sports to allow for "fair and safe competition"

We'd have to see their actual letter but I suspect they will be arguing that a blanket ban is a disproportionate (is that the right word?) action to achieve "fair and safe competition" rather than for example setting the level of testosterone in the blood as the test.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission have made it clear that they do believe blanket bans are an appropriate measure:

Quote:
...snip....
https://equalityhumanrights.com/en/o...tion-athletics

...our position that Gender Recognition Certificate (GRC) holders can be lawfully excluded under the ‘sporting exemption’ in the Equality Act for reasons of fair and safe competition...
This is also Parliament's view of the issue: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...ivision/3/14/5
Quote:
...snip....

This section allows separate sporting competitions to continue to be organised for men and women where physical strength, stamina or physique are major factors in determining success or failure, and in which one sex is generally at a disadvantage in comparison with the other. It also makes it lawful to restrict participation of transsexual people in such competitions if this is necessary to uphold fair or safe competition, but not otherwise.
...snip..
However, these issues are not a matter of settled law, which means we do need cases such as this one to proceed in the courts to set legal precedents. (Which is why a change to the Equality act to make it clear parliament's intent that sex = "sex at time of birth regardless of GRC" may be worthwhile we would still need to see actual cases being decided on in the courts.)
If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Last edited by Darat; 5th February 2023 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added some issues
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 09:13 AM   #2941
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
We'd have to see their actual letter but I suspect they will be arguing that a blanket ban is a disproportionate (is that the right word?) action to achieve "fair and safe competition" rather than for example setting the level of testosterone in the blood as the test.
Your suspicions are correct. The letter reads, in part, “It is difficult to see how a blanket ban with no exceptions could be justified as necessary. Allowing a particular trans woman to play in the female category for contact rugby may not raise any issues in respect of fair competition or the safety of competitors, and if so her exclusion cannot be justified.”

I don't quite follow this logic, since the same could be said, ceteris paribus, about any blanket ban in sport (e.g. strict weight classes in wrestling or boxing, bans on doping, steroids, etc.). So long as the individual competitor in question isn't too near the tail of the performance curve (as most others will be, at an elite level) giving them some specific enhancement won't effect the overall fairness of the game. Folks like Julie Curtiss and Laurel Hubbard (from the OP) might well argue that their advanced age offsets many of the inherent advantages of male puberty, and no doubt they are at least partially correct.

Last edited by d4m10n; 5th February 2023 at 09:18 AM.
Old 5th February 2023, 09:33 AM   #2942
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

As the second paragraph says, "I was biologically male". I trust that you can deduce that I still am. I mean, even with alchemy and the law of equivalent exchange, that doesn't change : p
Thanks! I missed that earlier. I apologize for asking you to repeat yourself.
Old 5th February 2023, 01:51 PM   #2943
Lord Muck oGentry
Graduate Poster

I don't quite follow this logic, since the same could be said, ceteris paribus, about any blanket ban in sport (e.g. strict weight classes in wrestling or boxing, bans on doping, steroids, etc.).
Commentary here:
https://sex-matters.org/posts/update...n-only-sports/

Quote:
It is sometimes said that a “blanket rule” excluding all men might have to be separately justified as being a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim if it discriminates indirectly against trans people, but that is nonsense: a blanket rule excluding all men is what section 195 expressly permits.
Text of sec. 195:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...15/section/195

The comparators are " average persons" of each sex, so a case-by-case approach looks hard to justify.
Lord Muck oGentry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 04:20 PM   #2944
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

LondonJohn - Does the assertion of a "valid lived identity" tell us anything about whether it is ethical or legal for RFU to "only permit players in the female category if the sex originally recorded at birth is female" in your view?

Last edited by d4m10n; 5th February 2023 at 04:22 PM.
Old 5th February 2023, 05:01 PM   #2945
Rolfe
Adult human female

Your midnight check-in on the petition reports 78,979 signatures, so 370 new signatures today. Ticking along quite nicely.

The new magic number is 284.1.
Old 5th February 2023, 05:43 PM   #2946
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

LondonJohn - Does the assertion of a "valid lived identity" tell us anything about whether it is ethical or legal for RFU to "only permit players in the female category if the sex originally recorded at birth is female" in your view?
I have no doubt that you will find that a “valid lived identity” is different from a “valid rugby playing identity”. After the “experts” in the RFU can’t be wrong.

(Oh, in case people don’t recognise the sarcasm in my post, the RFU is right)

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 5th February 2023, 07:38 PM   #2947
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
It looks like you haven’t read this thread. Despite LJs rants, nobody here is denying the rights of trans people to equality when it comes to things like employment and housing. Nobody has expressed any objection to people dressing and living the way they prefer and to have access to medical treatment to assist transition.

The problem is that so many TRAs demand access to women’s private places, eligibility to women’s scholarships, access to women’s prisons and shelters. They demand to play women’s sports, which is unfair and sometimes dangerous to women. Most transwomen making these demands have penises and some have raped women in their so-called safe places. What I and others object to is the attack on women’s rights by TRAs.

But thanks for your depiction of posters and your drive-by.

Haha "LJs (sic) rants"!!

And you're being entirely disingenuous by completely avoiding the way that you - and many many other posters in this thread - have used terms such as*:

"bloke in a dress" or

"men LARPing at being women" or

"men cosplaying at being women" or

"Elliot Page is a mentally unwell person with a delusion which makes her believe she's a man" or

"Denying the existence of trans women and calling them men is 100% proof of what I said" or

"People born with a cock and balls are not women, and can never become women. They remain men" or

"The Atheist knows some men who perform "woman"" or

"I may not like men LARPing a cariacature (sic) of over-sexualised fantasy "woman", but they're perfectly free to do that"

(NB: Some of the above are direct quotes; the others are very close paraphrases which capture the wording and the intent)

Because, lionking, all of those insults (and all the rest that are in a similar vein) explicitly deny the identity of transgender people. They are all, in a word, transphobic. I know you've expressed ignorance of this fact not so long ago, and I guess I can understand why you (and others in this thread) might want to pretend/rationalise/deny wrt this issue. But I'm afraid the truth is right there in (virtual) black and white: a significant proportion (maybe even the majority) of people regularly posting in this thread have expressed explicitly transphobic points of view.

* And these are all from the pretty recent past within this thread. Were I inclined to do a fuller search, I am highly confident that I would be able to reproduce a whole litany of similar types of transphobic comments, which were posted by a large number of regular contributors to this thread.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 07:40 PM   #2948
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

I've already made my own view clear on this matter within this thread. A number of times. May I recommend that you carry out a none-too-arduous search?
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 5th February 2023, 07:46 PM   #2949
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

BTW it's interesting - and revealing - to watch the usual suspects continuing to pretend that they don't understand what's meant by "valid lived identity".

Once again, I'll make it easier for the slower members of the group: simply swap the phrase "valid lived identity" for "identity that is not now considered to be a mental health disorder".

Not sure why anyone would prefer that latter lengthier phrase rather than the shorter - and easily comprehensible - three-word phrase. No accounting for taste (or feigned ignorance), I guess....
Old 5th February 2023, 11:30 PM   #2950
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
Haha "LJs (sic) rants"!!

And you're being entirely disingenuous by completely avoiding the way that you - and many many other posters in this thread - have used terms such as*:

"bloke in a dress" or

"men LARPing at being women" or

"men cosplaying at being women" or

"Elliot Page is a mentally unwell person with a delusion which makes her believe she's a man" or

"Denying the existence of trans women and calling them men is 100% proof of what I said" or

"People born with a cock and balls are not women, and can never become women. They remain men" or

"The Atheist knows some men who perform "woman"" or

"I may not like men LARPing a cariacature (sic) of over-sexualised fantasy "woman", but they're perfectly free to do that"

(NB: Some of the above are direct quotes; the others are very close paraphrases which capture the wording and the intent)

Because, lionking, all of those insults (and all the rest that are in a similar vein) explicitly deny the identity of transgender people. They are all, in a word, transphobic. I know you've expressed ignorance of this fact not so long ago, and I guess I can understand why you (and others in this thread) might want to pretend/rationalise/deny wrt this issue. But I'm afraid the truth is right there in (virtual) black and white: a significant proportion (maybe even the majority) of people regularly posting in this thread have expressed explicitly transphobic points of view.

* And these are all from the pretty recent past within this thread. Were I inclined to do a fuller search, I am highly confident that I would be able to reproduce a whole litany of similar types of transphobic comments, which were posted by a large number of regular contributors to this thread.

Well done. You addressed me and quoted a range of statements which I did not make. Pretty sloppy even for you.

But whatever, what is more important is you did not address in any way the post of mine you were supposedly responding to. This is what I said:

Quote:
nobody here is denying the rights of trans people to equality when it comes to things like employment and housing. Nobody has expressed any objection to people dressing and living the way they prefer and to have access to medical treatment to assist transition.
You haven’t refuted it because you can’t.

And please don’t imagine you need to keep popping in with a range of insults showing, supposedly, how tough you are. I treat your posts as light amusement.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 5th February 2023, 11:55 PM   #2951
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Meanwhile it is transphobic to quote a young woman who thanked God her parents prevented her from being mutilated.

"From ages 4-12 I wore boys’ clothes, played boy sports and rejected all thing ‘girly’. When my brother teased me for being a girl, I even said that when I got older I would ‘cut my boobs off’. I was not transgender, I just idolised my brother. Thank God my parents were sane,” the tweet said.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/son...FGNY764FTMB6I/

Last edited by Samson; 5th February 2023 at 11:57 PM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 12:51 AM   #2952
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

I felt something was missing.

This is one reply in the thread:

When I chose to have my breasts removed I was suicidal. That was said to be from gender dysphoria. I got my breasts removed and I didn’t feel any euphoria instead I felt empty like something was missing. The doctors should have never went ahead with the surgery.
8:16 AM · Feb 6, 2023
·
Views
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 06:47 AM   #2953
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

I've already made my own view clear on this matter within this thread. A number of times. May I recommend that you carry out a none-too-arduous search?
Did you make it clear why the validity of someone's lived identity doesn't take priority over biological reality in this particular case? Why, in other words, is it acceptable for RFU to pointedly fail to validate Ms Curtiss' lived identity? Is elite sport the only time and place where such validation is not required, in your view, or should females allowed to have their own spaces in other circumstances as well?

Last edited by d4m10n; 6th February 2023 at 06:51 AM.
Old 6th February 2023, 07:37 AM   #2954
Elaedith
Master Poster

Did you make it clear why the validity of someone's lived identity doesn't take priority over biological reality in this particular case? Why, in other words, is it acceptable for RFU to pointedly fail to validate Ms Curtiss' lived identity? Is elite sport the only time and place where such validation is not required, in your view, or should females allowed to have their own spaces in other circumstances as well?
I believe it was that elite sport is a 'performance' and it is therefore permissible to discriminate against transwomen for not matching the 'female athlete' role in the same way as it's acceptable to discriminate against somebody with the wrong characteristics for a role as an actor, for example.

Of course, in practice the UK Equality Act indicates it is acceptable to discriminate based on sex in several contexts in addition to sport.
Old 6th February 2023, 07:51 AM   #2955
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

I am getting to grips with the terminology.

Woman - a woman
Man - a man
Trans woman - a man
Cis - an unconfused person
Trans man - a drag queen
Feminist - an angry woman
Terf - a woman from Edinburgh with a lawn
Nonbinary - prefers to use numbers
Nicola Sturgeon - a very confused woman

Last edited by Nessie; 6th February 2023 at 07:55 AM.
Nessie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 10:12 AM   #2956
ahhell
Philosopher

Mind if I ask side question that may have been addressed in the previous 74 pages?. For the sake of medical emergencies, shouldn't Identity cards indicate that someone is Trans? I mean, if you're incapacitated in some way by accident or due to some other medical emergency, isn't it of value for the emergency responders and doctors to know?
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 10:24 AM   #2957
IsThisTheLife
Banned

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Another question that has been exercising me is, now that anybody can marry anybody else and the pension age has been equalised (or I think it has), what real benefit is there to a man to having his legal sex changed? And I mean sensible benefits, not simple appropriation of things that are women's on account of their being women?

I really can't think of much, although maybe others will come up with more.

A man in Canada self-IDed as a woman to get cheaper car insurance. Is this fair? Is this what the people bringing in these laws are trying to achieve? The man isn't a lower risk as a driver simply because he got a piece of paper saying he was a woman.

Much of what is put forward seems merely to be aimed at avoiding a bit of embarrassment, although I'm not sure it actually does that. Someone who is honestly taken for a woman has to present a passport or a driving licence that says "M" and this is embarrassing. For this, we turn the world upside down? But indeed, how many such cases are there? Very few transwomen actually look like women to the point you'd be surprised to see an M marker on a document. Any embarrassment that's going on is merely the constant embarrassment they encounter every minute of every day, because people see them as men in women's clothing. Or we can go further and consider the transwomen with beards and little concession to even trying to look like a woman. They still want that documentation, but what actual good is it doing them?

Transmen on the other hand seem to be positively disadvantaging themselves, as they take themselves out of all the legislation that has been passed to protect women's vulnerabilities. It seems that legally male people may not be entitled to ante-natal care or maternity leave or protection from dismissal on account of being pregnant.

Equal pay legislation is becoming a minefield, as to get a successful claim under that, a woman has to identify a man doing an equivalent job but who is getting higher pay. I saw a lawyer declare that all the equal pay settlements in however long could be argued to have been decided on erroneous grounds, if sex doesn't mean sex.

I haven't even touched on the male appropriation of female single-sex spaces and provisions, although that seems to be the main objective of the trans activists. This seems to have been granted to them de facto rather than de jure, although achieved by the dubious tactic of misrepresenting the law to numerous public and private bodies. That's the bit that has to stop. No legal right of any male to enter a women's single-sex space or category.

Without that, what's left? Not blushing at passport control because you think you look like a woman and your passport says M? When in actual fact you probably look M in the first place? Is all this upending of society's norms actually worth it to achieve this objective?
A while back (20182017) I needed a job quick-smart and started work in a Lidl distribution centre (in the UK). Couldn't really hack it and lasted less than three months - excellent pay by warehouse or retail standards but you go at it hammer-and-tongs for 8-hour shifts with a single 20 minute break, and I'm just getting too old for that **** (lost a stone and a half, down to not much over 11 st./69kg at 6') - I was easily the oldest there, a few in their forties but most in their twenties and thirties.

If only the legislation were in place to facilitate it and I'd been able to self-ID as a "woman", the mandatory pick-rate would have been 20% lower for the same pay (women just can't heave as many slabs of butter and such like onto their pallets at once) and I might have stuck with it a bit longer.

Edited by jimbob:  edited for rule 10 in body of text

Last edited by jimbob; 7th February 2023 at 04:04 AM.
IsThisTheLife is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 11:22 AM   #2958
d4m10n
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elaedith View Post
I believe it was that elite sport is a 'performance' and it is therefore permissible to discriminate against transwomen for not matching the 'female athlete' role in the same way as it's acceptable to discriminate against somebody with the wrong characteristics for a role as an actor, for example.
What I'm really trying to understand here is why the trump card of "valid lived identity" doesn't work (for LJ) when females are performing as scrum-halfs rather than, say, in any other social context like a traditional Korean spa or the Hampstead ponds. What makes elite sport exempt from the usual norms which require gender identity to be validated and affirmed?
Old 6th February 2023, 11:37 AM   #2959
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

BTW it's interesting - and revealing - to watch the usual suspects continuing to pretend that they don't understand what's meant by "valid lived identity".

Once again, I'll make it easier for the slower members of the group: simply swap the phrase "valid lived identity" for "identity that is not now considered to be a mental health disorder".

Not sure why anyone would prefer that latter lengthier phrase rather than the shorter - and easily comprehensible - three-word phrase. No accounting for taste (or feigned ignorance), I guess....
Oh, I understand that fine. But it doesn't answer the important questions. If transgender identity in the absence of gender dysphoria is not considered a mental health disorder, that still doesn't tell me what it is. So what is it? Perhaps more importantly, why does it deserve any accommodations? You have never answered these questions.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 6th February 2023, 12:07 PM   #2960
Francesca R
Girl

What I'm really trying to understand here is why the trump card of "valid lived identity" doesn't work (for LJ) when females are performing as scrum-halfs rather than, say, in any other social context like a traditional Korean spa or the Hampstead ponds. What makes elite sport exempt from the usual norms which require gender identity to be validated and affirmed?
It seems it's a special case where trans women are not women. If they were women, they'd compete in elite women's sport (if they were good enough).

Another special case, per Nicola Sturgeon, is when trans women have raped women; they're not women then either. If they were women, they'd be incarcerated in female prisons.

So in summary, trans women aren't women. They can do plenty of the things women do. They should not be allowed to do anything a woman can do as a matter of policy. And this is according to LondonJohn and Nicola Sturgeon.

(Does that wrap up this thread series? Only took six years abouts)
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events