IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 28th August 2021, 01:26 AM   #81
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
When I listen to this, I cannot hear Jim Jones. His cadence. His encouragement to believe what he says. To follow him. Everything. This is exactly like the suicide message of Jim Jones.

It is scary. It is very scary.
Old 29th August 2021, 08:11 AM   #82
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Is this the reason you want a one party conservative fascist state in the USA?
Maybe he's a conservative fascist?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 06:01 PM   #83
Warbler
Thinker

I feel that Afghanistan was a multi administration screw up. It seems to me that what we didn't do was figure out what it would take to totally get rid of the Taliban, and whether or not we were willing/able to take those steps. We either should have done what it took to totally get rid of the Taliban, or we should have left as soon when we were done with Bin Laden and Al Qaeda. If we were unable/unwilling to get rid of the Taliban, what were we doing there after we were finished with Al Qaeda and Bin Laden? Almost 20 years we were and after we leave, the Taliban takes over in 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS.

As I said in the another thread, we should have been more prepared for the Taliban take over, we should left more slowly and held back the Taliban while doing a more better and thorough evacuation of the American citizens and Afghans that assisted us. I am very concerned that Biden pushed things in order to try to get the troops out of there before the 20th anniversary of 911.

Alot of lessons need to be learned from thing thing. Too bad we didn't learn enough from Vietnam.
Warbler is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 07:12 PM   #84
kevbo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
I feel that Afghanistan was a multi administration screw up. It seems to me that what we didn't do was figure out what it would take to totally get rid of the Taliban, and whether or not we were willing/able to take those steps. We either should have done what it took to totally get rid of the Taliban, or we should have left as soon when we were done with Bin Laden and Al Qaeda. If we were unable/unwilling to get rid of the Taliban, what were we doing there after we were finished with Al Qaeda and Bin Laden? Almost 20 years we were and after we leave, the Taliban takes over in 2 weeks. 2 WEEKS.

As I said in the another thread, we should have been more prepared for the Taliban take over, we should left more slowly and held back the Taliban while doing a more better and thorough evacuation of the American citizens and Afghans that assisted us. I am very concerned that Biden pushed things in order to try to get the troops out of there before the 20th anniversary of 911.

Alot of lessons need to be learned from thing thing. Too bad we didn't learn enough from Vietnam.
I don't tend to think the Vietnam/Afghanistan comparison is valid. However, I do believe none of the previous administrations were willing to make the hard call. Biden did. Could it have gone better? Without a doubt. Did he have as much control over the situation as he would have liked? Probably not. He could not control the Afghanistan government, for one thing, anymore than the previous administrations. The Afganistan government, when all is said and done, are the ones that rolled over for the Taliban.
kevbo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 07:41 PM   #85
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warbler View Post

I agree with kevbo on this.
It's impossible to totally get rid of the Taliban. They're homegrown and refill their ranks with boys as they grow up. This is what history has shown us for several decades but which we refuse to learn.

We would NEVER have been able to get out ALL the Afghans who wanted to leave. There are just too many. Half the country would be gone.
I do agree with you that we should have left after Bin Laden was killed. We did not learn from Vietnam, the Russian attempt in Afghanistan or the rest of history's lessons about Afghanistan. It's not called the "Graveyard of Empires" for nothing.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics