IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st September 2021, 12:19 PM   #41
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
It's hard to say with any specificity what any non-orthodox Christian believes. That's kinda the whole point of decentralized Christianity, the bible says whatever a given pastor or church wants it to say. It's a giant choose your own adventure novel with lots of options. Every little strip mall parish is making up the rules as they go along to suit their needs.

And wouldn't you know it, often those rules end up affirming that deeply held bigotries are actually good and biblical. Also, God wants your pastor to be rich, so fork up the lettuce.
Ain't that the truth.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 12:23 PM   #42
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No love for Fundy Christians, but only a reletively few believe in the complete application of Old Testament law. Most use a "The coming of Jesus Christ introduced a new covnanant and all of the Old Testament laws except for the Ten Commanments no longer apply".
I have a weird think about being accurate, even when it applies to people I really don't like very much.
But all that means in practice is to give them cover to pick and choose. Fortunately the bible is clear on things like its endorsement of slavery. Jesus endorsed it so of course it should be allowed in any proper Christian nation, who are they to think they know more then jesus?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 12:40 PM   #43
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The Bible isn’t part of Judaism.
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Ooooo. The Torah is no part of Judaism. Who knew?
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The Torah is not the Bible, despite considerable overlap. I thought everyone knew.

The Protestant Bible is not the Catholic Bible, despite considerable overlap.

If we were to accept Ziggurat's logic, that fact would imply the Bible isn't part of Christianity. Ziggurat's logic is illogical, however, so we shouldn't accept it.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
No, the New Testament is Christian. The Bible consists of both the Old and New Testaments. I thought everyone knew that.

Ziggurat apparently didn't know that. That did not surprise me.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 02:04 PM   #44
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No love for Fundy Christians, but only a reletively few believe in the complete application of Old Testament law. Most use a "The coming of Jesus Christ introduced a new covnanant and all of the Old Testament laws except for the Ten Commanments no longer apply".
I have a weird think about being accurate, even when it applies to people I really don't like very much.
Its no wonder the Jews wanted to off him then!
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 03:16 PM   #45
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
OK, so that is between 1/4 and 1/3 of Americans who support the idea of...

Women being the property of their husbands
Slavery
Burning women at the stake for adultery
Stoning people to death for witchcraft or working on a Sunday
Crucifying people for being political agitators
The death penalty for children who strike or curse their parents
The death penalty for not believing in God, or believing in a different God

How very civilised these fundy Christians are.
Surely you mean from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday!
Old 1st September 2021, 07:03 PM   #46
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

They might conveniently believe that but there is a Jesus quote in the NT where he tells his flock to follow all the OT laws.

Of course most 'laws' in the Bible like that are contradicted somewhere else in the Bible. I's a pick and choose your verses book.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 07:07 PM   #47
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
They might conveniently believe that but there is a Jesus quote in the NT where he tells his flock to follow all the OT laws.

Of course most 'laws' in the Bible like that are contradicted somewhere else in the Bible. I's a pick and choose your verses book.
And thus the myriad "Christian" churches. It's a total and complete **** storm of a book.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 08:32 PM   #48
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Surely you mean from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday!
Time zones baby, time zones.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:33 PM   #49
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The Texas Abortion Ban is unabashedly a biblical law put into state law.

Which is funny, since the bible doesn't ban abortions.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 1st September 2021 at 10:35 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 11:07 PM   #50
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
And thus the myriad "Christian" churches. It's a total and complete **** storm of a book.
The inerrant word of God, eh? Well, with such a schizoid collection of contradictions, no wonder its believers have devolved to more denominations/sects than has any other religious belief system that I'm aware of.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 06:27 AM   #51
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The Texas Abortion Ban is unabashedly a biblical law put into state law.

Which is funny, since the bible doesn't ban abortions.
It even gives instruction on how to do it.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 06:31 AM   #52
Louden Wilde
Critical Thinker

I don't see a way out of this unless the US breaks up/or states gain so much autonomy that we've de facto dissolved. I think we'd be much better off by actively discouraging religious beliefs, but it will be a likely be a long time before that happens.
Louden Wilde is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 06:52 AM   #53
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

I'm just glad people are discussing something that isnt fascism for once.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics