IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , Congressional hearings

Old 7th September 2021, 10:49 AM   #561
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
At this point, Pierce better have some serious medical problem or have some other good reason why he has fallen off the planet without providing the court an explanation, or he's going to have some pissed off judges after him.
According to Popehat, if it continues much longer the state bar can come in and take over the practice. Which would prompt a metric **** ton conspiracy theories, and I have more than enough popcorn for all of it.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 12:21 PM   #562
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I don't think Pierce is claiming anything, which is part of the problem at the moment. I couldn't find a more recent story on it but on cnbc it says:

Basically, no knows where he is but the guy that's now "representing" Pierce's clients a) doesn't have a law license and b) is under indictment for multiple felonies in Pennsylvania. It's a bit of a **** show.

For some reason, this made me think of Carl Sargent, the parapsychologist from the 1980s who became a tabletop RPG writer in the 1990s. He was traveling cross-country for a new game writing job (FASA in Chicago, I think) and just dropped off the face of the Earth, never seen in the industry again. Nobody knew what happened to him. In the mid-2000s it came out that he had been permanently disabled in a car accident, unable to work, and he passed away a few years ago.

Some people theorized that he had a mental breakdown and went off to become a hermit. Maybe this guy actually did.

Last edited by Armitage72; 7th September 2021 at 01:18 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 01:30 PM   #563
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
For some reason, this made me think of Carl Sargent, the parapsychologist from the 1980s who became a tabletop RPG writer in the 1990s. He was traveling cross-country for a new game writing job (FASA in Chicago, I think) and just dropped off the face of the Earth, never seen in the industry again. Nobody knew what happened to him. In the mid-2000s it came out that he had been permanently disabled in a car accident, unable to work, and he passed away a few years ago.

Some people theorized that he had a mental breakdown and went off to become a hermit. Maybe this guy actually did.
Michael French, prolific English actor.
Starring roles in soaps, drama and West End musicals.

Dropped out of his role in the Sound Of Music in 2014 and hasn't been heard of since.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 03:26 PM   #564
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Dropped out of his role in the Sound Of Music in 2014 and hasn't been heard of since.
Emilio Esteves.

‘Nuff said
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th September 2021, 04:13 PM   #565
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Emilio Esteves.

‘Nuff said
He made an appearance on Space Ghost Coast to Coast!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 01:30 PM   #566
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

More insurrectionists plead guilty:

Quote:
Seven US Capitol riot defendants pleaded guilty on Friday to charges related to the January 6 insurrection, including one man who threatened to shoot House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

With this latest flurry of court activity, 10% of the more than 600 known federal defendants charged in connection with the deadly riot have pleaded guilty, according to CNN's latest tally.

The most notable defendant to finalize a guilty plea was Cleveland Meredith Jr., who drove from Colorado to Washington, DC, with two guns and 2,500 rounds of ammunition. He missed former President Donald Trump's speech at a rally on January 6, but texted a relative one day later that he was thinking about attending an event with Pelosi and "putting a bullet in her noggin on Live TV."

He pleaded guilty to sending threatening communications and faces a maximum potential prison term of five years, though prosecutors told the judge they'd only seek as much as two years. Meredith has been in jail since his arrest in January and will get credit for time served when he is sentenced in December.
The pace of guilty pleas has picked up in recent weeks, as the Justice Department tries to resolve dozens of lower-level cases involving nonviolent riot defendants, including a married couple from Ohio

Most of the 61 guilty pleas so far have been for low-level misdemeanors. But several people have pleaded guilty to felonies that could lead to years-long prison sentence, such as conspiring with extremist groups, assaulting police or obstructing congressional proceedings.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 03:10 PM   #567
kevbo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Seeing these kinds of stories in the news always gives me a smile. Does that mean there is something wrong with me? I hope the prosecutors keep the cases rolling along, and that the judges have little to no sympathy for the insurrectionists.

Last edited by kevbo; 11th September 2021 at 03:15 PM.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 03:51 PM   #568
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Quote:
The most notable defendant to finalize a guilty plea was Cleveland Meredith Jr., who drove from Colorado to Washington, DC, with two guns and 2,500 rounds of ammunition. He missed former President Donald Trump's speech at a rally on January 6, but texted a relative one day later that he was thinking about attending an event with Pelosi and "putting a bullet in her noggin on Live TV."
Even as much as I can't stand Pelosi, this is borderline egregious.
Old 11th September 2021, 04:02 PM   #569
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Nah, nothing to worry about. More likely Meredith would've ended up like that other insurrectionist with a bullet in the brainpan.

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 11th September 2021 at 04:23 PM.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 04:12 PM   #570
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Borderline?
Old 11th September 2021, 04:45 PM   #571
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Borderline?
Fell for that, did ya?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 04:54 PM   #572
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Whoa! Don't get carried away there! It's just a death threat, after all. Next thing you know, we'll be getting all excited and concerned.
Old 11th September 2021, 05:03 PM   #573
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

And yet he pleaded guilty and there is a specific law against making these kinds of threats especially to public officials.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 05:06 PM   #574
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheGoldcountry View Post
Whoa! Don't get carried away there! It's just a death threat, after all. Next thing you know, we'll be getting all excited and concerned.
Gabby Gifford's reaction:

Old 12th September 2021, 02:09 AM   #575
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed!

ETA: Oh, and teacher, I fixed the incorrect use of the apostrophe for you!
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th September 2021 at 02:14 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2021, 12:23 PM   #576
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Indeed!

ETA: Oh, and teacher, I fixed the incorrect use of the apostrophe for you!
Thanks. I was thinking her last name was Gifford like Kathie Lee Gifford and not Giffords.
Old 12th September 2021, 12:29 PM   #577
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Six Jan. 6 insurrection officers have had disciplinary cases filed against them.
Quote:
The U.S. Capitol Police recommended disciplinary action for six officers following an internal investigation into the behavior of some members of the force who responded to the Jan. 6 attack.

In a statement released Saturday, the Capitol Police said the department’s office of professional responsibility opened 38 internal investigations related to the misconduct probe. Of those investigations, six cases sustained violations and were recommended for disciplinary action.

The Justice Department did not find sufficient evidence that any of the officers committed a crime, according to the release.
Quote:
Three of the violations sustained were for “conduct unbecoming,” the agency said. One case involved a failure to comply with directives, one involved improper remarks, and the last involved “improper dissemination of information.”

In another case, an official is accused of unsatisfactory performance and conduct unbecoming, but the Capitol Police said in the release that the case is still pending.
https://thehill.com/policy/national-...cases-in-jan-6
Old 12th September 2021, 07:39 PM   #578
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Conspiracy anyone?

Hundreds of law enforcement officials were prepped early for potential Jan. 6 violence

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...iolence-511064

Somewhere, somehow there was a "lack of communication".
Old 12th September 2021, 11:19 PM   #579
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Conspiracy anyone?

Hundreds of law enforcement officials were prepped early for potential Jan. 6 violence

Yikes! It certainly seems that the fusion centers knew and relayed the potential for large scale violence on Jan. 6 to the Capitol Police at least 2 days before the insurrection. Hopefully, this will be investigated by the Committee.
Old 13th September 2021, 07:22 AM   #580
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

https://www.uscp.gov/media-center/pr...investigations

Quote:
UPDATE: USCP’s January 6 Internal Investigations
September 11, 2021 Press Release
After January 6, the United States Capitol Police promised to provide an update on its internal investigations related to the attack.

This week, the USCP provided the Department of Justice the administrative cases as part of the ongoing discovery production in the prosecution of the January 6 rioters. Officer names, witness names, and complainant names were redacted.

The USCP’s Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) launched 38 internal investigations. The U.S. Attorney’s Office did not find sufficient evidence that any of the officers committed a crime.

OPR was able to identify the officers involved in 26 of the cases. (Some complaints did not contain enough information to identify the officer at the center of the complaint.)

In 20 of the cases, no wrongdoing was found.

Violations were sustained and disciplinary action was recommended in six cases;
  • Three for conduct unbecoming
  • One for failure to comply with directives
  • One for improper remarks
  • One for improper dissemination of information
Another case about an official who is accused of unsatisfactory performance and conduct unbecoming is still pending. The administrative investigation started after a criminal investigation, in which charges were not filed.

USCP internal investigations, including any recommended disciplinary actions, as well as personnel matters are not public information.

The Department is committed to accountability when officers fail to meet the standards governed by USCP policies and the Congressional Community's expectations.

The six sustained cases should not diminish the heroic efforts of the United States Capitol Police officers.

On January 6, the bravery and courage exhibited by the vast majority of our employees was inspiring.
ETA Ninja'd by Staychs

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK

Last edited by jimbob; 13th September 2021 at 07:23 AM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2021, 03:26 PM   #581
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

She must have used the wrong word…

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1922883.html

…. NBC 4 Washington’s Scott McFarlane posted on Twitter that Bauer claims she is a “sovereign citizen” ie one of the growing movement of people who believe that laws do not apply to them. During the hearing, she told the judge that she is not subject to the court’s supervision and denied its authority to hold her in custody. “I have a right to my self-determination,” she told the judge, adding: “I do not agree to any tacit agreement that puts me back in the water. I am on the land.”…..
Old 20th September 2021, 03:39 PM   #582
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Conspiracy anyone?

Every Fox news brain-poisoned boomer was openly talking about how it was going to be the opening day of the second revolution on facebook.

Everyone knew, it's simply not credible to believe the capitol police were unaware of the potential.
Old 20th September 2021, 09:59 PM   #583
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

…. NBC 4 Washington’s Scott McFarlane posted on Twitter that Bauer claims she is a “sovereign citizen” ie one of the growing movement of people who believe that laws do not apply to them. During the hearing, she told the judge that she is not subject to the court’s supervision and denied its authority to hold her in custody. “I have a right to my self-determination,” she told the judge, adding: “I do not agree to any tacit agreement that puts me back in the water. I am on the land.”…..
Yup, a Froot Loop alright
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 05:40 PM   #584
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post

Cool let's get her on dry land by dropping her from an airplane.

If laws do not apply to these people doesn't that mean that rights don't either? Could be fun as I grow increasingly sadistic towards these types.
Old 21st September 2021, 06:10 PM   #585
Warp12
Graduate Poster

What positives, such as security changes, have come out of the 1/6 event?
Old 21st September 2021, 06:24 PM   #586
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The incompetent Chief of the Capitol Police resigned for one. Then there's:
Quote:
Included in the list of "improvements" the Capitol Police have implemented in the wake of the attack are enhancing member protection, boosting staffing in the Dignitary Protection Division and opening regional field offices in California and Florida to investigate threats to lawmakers.

New changes also include additional riot training for the force, including joint training with the National Guard, and the procurement of more equipment such as helmets and shields, along with "state-of-the-art campus surveillance technology," made possible via a loan from the Department of Defense.

Pittman also cited expanded wellness services for the Capitol Police, including trauma informed counselors and spiritual support services for its members. As NPR's Claudia Grisales reported, a groundbreaking initiative is under way to provide officers and staff with mental health support.

The department has also established a "critical incident response plan," aimed to "quickly mobilize local, state, and federal manpower, including the Department of Defense, to respond to planned and/or no-notice emergencies."

The force has implemented these changes based on the recommendations of several reports probing the events of Jan. 6, including the Government Accountability Office, the Architect of the Capitol, congressional committees and a task force headed by retired Lt. Gen Russel Honoré. The House of Representatives recently voted to create a select committee to investigate the attacks after Senate Republicans blocked a vote on setting up an outside commission.
Old 22nd September 2021, 12:03 AM   #587
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

The incompetent Chief of the Capitol Police resigned for one. Then there's:
Quote:
Pittman also cited expanded wellness services for the Capitol Police, including trauma informed counselors and spiritual support services for its members. As NPR's Claudia Grisales reported, a groundbreaking initiative is under way to provide officers and staff with mental health support.
After seeing how the front line cops were mercilessly and relentlessly beaten by Trump's mob of magamorons (as evidenced by the four who testified before the Committee), its not hard to understand why these types of services needed to be improved.

On top of that, Repugnicans and their trained mouthpieces like Carlson and Hannity, mocked their pain and suffering.

I expect certain posters here will mock these improvements as well, or at least come up with inane, dime-store comments about them
Old 22nd September 2021, 04:22 AM   #588
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Cool let's get her on dry land by dropping her from an airplane.

If laws do not apply to these people doesn't that mean that rights don't either? Could be fun as I grow increasingly sadistic towards these types.
If it makes you feel better, the crackpot legal defense is undoubtedly making her experience with the justice system much more punitive than it otherwise would be.

Other similarly charged J6 CHUDs have already plead out to sentences that do not include prison time, and this lady has managed to talk herself into pretrial detention.

She's giving herself totally avoidable jail time.
Old 22nd September 2021, 04:43 AM   #589
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
If it makes you feel better, the crackpot legal defense is undoubtedly making her experience with the justice system much more punitive than it otherwise would be.

Other similarly charged J6 CHUDs have already plead out to sentences that do not include prison time, and this lady has managed to talk herself into pretrial detention.

She's giving herself totally avoidable jail time.
You could almost say the expression "play stupid games, win stupid prizes" was literally coined with idiots like her in mind!
Old 22nd September 2021, 05:02 AM   #590
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

That's right, the 6th of January mob weren't a group of violent idiots attempting to overthrow a democratically elected President, they were a group of patriots valiantly demonstrating the security failings on the Capitol with a view to getting them addressed.

They should be congratulated, not persecuted.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 05:25 AM   #591
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Michael Schenker, rock guitar god, dropped off the grid at the height of his success, turned up a few year(?) later, walking into a record company office basically saying 'Hi I'm Michael Schenker and I'm back'...
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 05:35 AM   #592
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

What positives, such as security changes, have come out of the 1/6 event insurrection?

FTFY
Old 22nd September 2021, 06:43 AM   #593
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

We all know Trump is insane Rudy Giuliani is disbarred Mike Lindell is bankrupt, Fox Fraud News has lost tons of viewers and there wasn't a Nuclear war with China.
All very positive events.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:01 AM   #594
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
That's right, the 6th of January mob weren't a group of violent idiots attempting to overthrow a democratically elected President, they were a group of patriots valiantly demonstrating the security failings on the Capitol with a view to getting them addressed.

They should be congratulated, not persecuted.
Like white hat hackers.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 08:30 AM   #595
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
We all know Trump is insane Rudy Giuliani is disbarred Mike Lindell is bankrupt, Fox Fraud News has lost tons of viewers and there wasn't a Nuclear war with China.
All very positive events.
If Fox News is losing audience, it's probably to even more extreme right outlets like NewsMaxx or OANN that are more willing to lean harder into conspiracy theories and explicit fascist propaganda. I don't see this as a positive.
Old 22nd September 2021, 01:37 PM   #596
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Watching OANN or Newsmax and thinking they're credible sources of news should be part of the criteria for the diagnosis of several forms of mental illness.
Old 22nd September 2021, 02:25 PM   #597
Apathia
Philosopher

Watching OANN or Newsmax and thinking they're credible sources of news should be part of the criteria for the diagnosis of several forms of mental illness.
The Onan News.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 02:33 PM   #598
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

You only say that because you have been brainwashed by the MSM......

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2021, 02:37 PM   #599
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
You only say that because you have been brainwashed by the MSM......
It's all part of the Deep State run by the Clintons!
Old 22nd September 2021, 02:43 PM   #600
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

It's all part of the Deep State run out of the non-existent basement of a D.C. pizzaria by the child eating Clintons !
FTFY

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics