IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 3rd January 2021, 08:06 AM   #321
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Something how Dr. Fauci is revered by the LameStream Media as such a great professional, having done, they say, such an incredible job, yet he works for me and the Trump Administration, and I am in no way given any credit for my work. Gee, could this just be more Fake News?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 08:37 AM   #322
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

...compared to other countries, many of whom report, purposely, very inaccurately and low...
Trump Tweets
Something how Dr. Fauci is revered by the LameStream Media as such a great professional, having done, they say, such an incredible job, yet he works for me and the Trump Administration, and I am in no way given any credit for my work. Gee, could this just be more Fake News?
Here we are, in the midst of an explosion of new cases -- the total number of cases having doubled in the past two months -- and this is what we get from the president? What a miserable human being he is.

January 20th and an end to this four year nightmare can't come fast enough.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 09:23 AM   #323
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Trump Tweets

What a piece of garbage Trump is; it's hard to keep up with all the times he reveals himself as a lying, ill-tempered, narcissistic, contemptible human being.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 10:53 AM   #324
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The number of cases and deaths of the China Virus is far exaggerated in the United States because of @CDCgov's ridiculous method of determination compared to other countries, many of whom report, purposely, very inaccurately and low. “When in doubt, call it Covid.” Fake News!

The vaccines are being delivered to the states by the Federal Government far faster than they can be administered!
What he's saying is that other countries are lying about their totals so we should the same.
Old 3rd January 2021, 12:39 PM   #325
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Kevin Sorbo tweets

@ksorbs
It’s been almost 10 months, shouldn’t the non-mask wearers be dead?
It's been almost ten months, shouldn't you understand the basics of the issue better than this by now?

(I've decided that Kevin Sorbo stands for all the stone-brains in the US, maybe on purpose- if there's a way to stupidly misunderstand or misrepresent an issue, he will surely do it, in public on Twitter, without a clue as to how idiotically wrong he is about pretty much everything)

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 03:00 PM   #326
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
It's been almost ten months, shouldn't you understand the basics of the issue better than this by now?

(I've decided that Kevin Sorbo stands for all the stone-brains in the US, maybe on purpose- if there's a way to stupidly misunderstand or misrepresent an issue, he will surely do it, in public on Twitter, without a clue as to how idiotically wrong he is about pretty much everything)
He's as stupid of a washed-up never-was as I've ever seen.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 04:42 PM   #327
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump Tweets

This belongs in the Trump has pathologic narcissism thread.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2021, 07:06 PM   #328
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 4th January 2021, 10:01 AM   #329
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Kevin Sorbo tweets

@ksorbs
Abortion supporters: You can’t force me to do anything! My body my choice

Also abortion supporters: people should be forced to take the Covid vaccine
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 10:05 AM   #330
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Kevin Sorbo tweets

@ksorbs

Also abortion supporters: people should be forced to take the Covid vaccine.
He really is ******* stupid.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 4th January 2021, 10:09 AM   #331
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

LA county has issued a memo instructing EMS crews to no longer transport cardiac arrest patients to the ER if they are unable to restore a heartbeat in the field. This is a response to the tremendous patient load placed on local hospitals from covid. An example of what radical triage measures will look like in cases of uncontrolled covid spread.

http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/dh...diacArrest.pdf
Old 4th January 2021, 10:18 AM   #332
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It's sad if you cannot admit that somebody who does not agree with your politics can be a decent person.
Yes viewing the elderly as worthless parasites is of course just a harmless political opinion not anything that should be taken as a moral stance. Like how most nazis were nice people but a few bad apples ruined the reputation of all of them.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 10:21 AM   #333
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
He's as stupid of a washed-up never-was as I've ever seen.
Hey he had a real tour de farce in God's not Dead.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 02:56 PM   #334
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
LA county has issued a memo instructing EMS crews to no longer transport
cardiac arrest patients to the ER if they are unable to restore a heartbeat
in the field. This is a response to the tremendous patient load placed on
local hospitals from covid. An example of what radical triage measures
will look like in cases of uncontrolled covid spread.

http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/dh...diacArrest.pdf

We're not far behind. Only three beds left in our county according to this:

How Full Are Hospital I.C.U.s Near You? by Matthew Conlen, John Keefe, Lauren Leatherby and Charlie Smart

P. S. Long term care has become death traps for the both the elderly and the staff.
Old 4th January 2021, 04:22 PM   #335
dirtywick
Illuminator

Kevin Sorbo tweets

@ksorbs

is he saying we should all be pro choice?

i think he accidentally agreed with the left lol
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 06:00 PM   #336
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Ah, yes, because abortions make other people sick.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 07:24 PM   #337
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 4th January 2021, 07:56 PM   #338
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
P. S. Long term care has become death traps for the both the elderly and the staff.
The page linked to has number of Covid cases among staff but includes nothing about deaths.

Where I live the nursing home and assisted living have had 13 or so deaths of patients. One staff member died. Plenty of staff have caught it but it does not have anywhere near the mortality rates seen among residents. On a political note, even the few Trump-supporting residents I know on campus take the pandemic more seriously than Trump ever has.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 08:12 PM   #339
dirtywick
Illuminator

idk how you support a guy who doesn't care about something that's a very, very real threat to them personally. i take the pandemic seriously also, but i'm not at risk for covid anymore than any other average person, but if i was at risk i'd still feel much differently about it than i do now.

whatever hateful message from trump that resonates with them they must hate much more than they care about their own lives, and that's pretty sad.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 08:17 PM   #340
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The pharmacist who sabotaged the COVID vaccine doses at a Wisconsin hospital has been identified by police as Stephen Brandenburg, 47, of Grafton.

Additionally, police have elaborated on their earlier statement that the act was "deliberate", remarking that Brandenburg told investigators he deliberately acted to ruin the vaccines citing his belief in a conspiracy theory that the vaccines "would change peoples' DNA".
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2021, 08:22 PM   #341
dirtywick
Illuminator

lol how and more importantly why did he become a pharmacist
Old 4th January 2021, 08:44 PM   #342
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
lol how and more importantly why did he become a pharmacist
The number of people who technically count as "health care professionals" who have fallen for the Trumpist "it's all a conspiracy, COVID is fake" drumbeat, or even anti-vaccine propaganda in general, is shocking and genuinely disturbing.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 04:48 PM   #343
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Gov. Ricketts (R-NE) says undocumented workers at meatpacking plants will not be eligible to receive the COVID vaccine.

That’s at least 14% of Nebraska’s meatpacking workers, according to @MigrationPolicy.
Old 5th January 2021, 05:15 PM   #344
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Gov. Ricketts (R-NE) says undocumented workers at meatpacking plants will not be eligible to receive the COVID vaccine.

That’s at least 14% of Nebraska’s meatpacking workers, according to @MigrationPolicy.
Never let a public health crisis undermine your racism!
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 05:17 PM   #345
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I don't even see how that's his call. Grandstanding.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 05:39 PM   #346
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I don't even see how that's his call. Grandstanding.
Proves that another Republican doesn't know anything about why you vaccinate people.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th January 2021, 05:57 PM   #347
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Imagine being so racist that you go out of your way to ensure that the people who prepare your food are unvaccinated.
Old 5th January 2021, 06:48 PM   #348
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 5th January 2021, 08:08 PM   #349
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Catching up from slow weekend reporting, of course. But we haven't really seen the Xmas/NewYears surge yet. Probably about a week from tomorrow is going to be stunning.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:39 AM   #350
AnonyMoose
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The pharmacist who sabotaged the COVID vaccine doses at a Wisconsin hospital has been identified by police as Stephen Brandenburg, 47, of Grafton.

Additionally, police have elaborated on their earlier statement that the act was "deliberate", remarking that Brandenburg told investigators he deliberately acted to ruin the vaccines citing his belief in a conspiracy theory that the vaccines "would change peoples' DNA".

Oh look everyone! A Trump voter.

Quelle surprise.

Old 6th January 2021, 04:36 AM   #351
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

We haven't seen the Xmas/New Year surge yet, but we're seeing the Thanksgiving weekend death surge. Sadly, deaths are up, way up, to the highest daily level ever.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US Deaths 01052021.jpg (47.6 KB, 11 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:20 PM   #352
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:
Anyone remember the good old days of 50,000 new cases and only 1000 deaths?

Dr. Brytney Cobia

Last edited by Resume; 6th January 2021 at 07:53 PM.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:46 PM   #353
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

From Worldometer:

Anyone remember the good old days of 50,000 new cases and only 1000 deaths?
Link is broken: you missed the ':' after 'https'
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 04:17 AM   #354
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

There is an extensive report on the pandemic in the current issue of The New Yorker magazine. John Brooks, the chief medical officer of the COVID response team at the C.D.C., made some comments as to the severity of the disease. One of the difficulties involves the way the disease triggers the patient's hyperimmune system.:
Quote:
Most infectious diseases kill people by triggering an excessive immune-system response; COVID, like pneumonia, can unleash white blood cells that flood the lungs with fluid, putting the patient at risk of drowning. But COVID is unusual in the variety of ways that it causes the body to malfunction. Some patients require kidney dialysis or suffer liver damage. The disease can affect the brain and other parts of the nervous system, causing delirium, strokes, and lasting nerve damage. COVID could also do strange things to the heart. Hospitals began admitting patients with signs of cardiac arrest—chest pains, trouble breathing—and preparing emergency coronary catheterizations. “But their coronary vessels are clean,” Brooks said. “There’s no blockage.” Instead, an immune reaction had inflamed the heart muscle, a condition called myocarditis. “There’s not a lot you can do but hope they get through it.” A German study of a hundred recovered COVID patients with the average age of forty-nine found that twenty-two had lasting cardiac problems, including scarring of the heart muscle. New Yorker link to article

Compare this to what trump and Fox News were saying:
Quote:
In a comparison disputed by public health experts, President Donald Trump likened the coronavirus to the seasonal flu Tuesday [Oct. 6th] and said Americans can learn to live with Covid-19. NBC News link
Quote:
Tucker Carlson announced coronavirus “hasn’t been the disaster that we feared” and added this “short-term crisis may have passed…it looks like it may have” back in April. Vanity Fair link
Old 7th January 2021, 04:26 AM   #355
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

He really is ******* stupid.
cut him some slack.
He's going through a tough divorce after spending a lifetime telling everyone that only godless losers get divorced.
Old 7th January 2021, 04:57 AM   #356
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
There is an extensive report on the pandemic in the current issue of The New Yorker magazine. John Brooks, the chief medical officer of the COVID response team at the C.D.C., made some comments as to the severity of the disease. One of the difficulties involves the way the disease triggers the patient's hyperimmune system.:

Long term I suspect one of the effects of the pandemic will be to move average life expectancy slightly downwards as “long covid” will exacerbate symptons of other diseases and conditions.
Old 7th January 2021, 09:06 AM   #357
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
When you have literally best healthcare humanity has to offer, it is easy to make this kind of remarks.
Old 7th January 2021, 10:27 AM   #358
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Kevin Sorbo tweets

@ksorbs

Ok, Kev, it's your choice, your body. Just that until you decide to make the socially-responsible choice, how about you keep your body away from ours?

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 06:51 PM   #359
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

From Worldometer:
Quote:
United States
Coronavirus Cases:
Deaths:

New Cases:
New Deaths:

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Old 8th January 2021, 04:25 AM   #360
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Good grief, now we're at more than a million new cases per week. Pretty much as public health officials warned. Public health officials who were dismissed by president trump as a bunch of idiots who don't know what they're talking about. From the New York Times:
Quote:
Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the top infectious disease expert in the United States, predicted on Thursday that the daily death toll from the coronavirus would continue to rise for weeks to come, and counseled patience with the vaccination program gearing up across the nation...The virus has exacted a punishing toll across the United States. In recent days, Wyoming and Arizona have been among states that have recorded high per capita rates of virus deaths, according to a New York Times database. On Thursday, Florida reported more than 19,800 cases, the state’s highest single-day total. New York Times link to article

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics