IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 15th August 2021, 12:13 PM   #2601
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The sad part of this is that it's very difficult to separate serious posts from intentionally ridiculous posts now. Poe's law and all. I think you're taking the mickey, but then again, a post like this could well be serious from some members here.
I hear that. As I've posted before, my contempt for Trump goes back to the 80's, when he was sleazing around my beloved Atlantic City, NJ. More than any other public figure, I have wished him....let's say dire misfortune, in case the Secret Service has tabs on the forum.

But as much as I have appreciated President Biden's dedicated public service, I would have much preferred a table-flipper at this point. Voting against Captain Birtherism should not mean practically being required to vote for Seargeant Status Quo.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2021, 12:17 PM   #2602
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Honest to God...I really can't tell if you're still taking the mickey or not. However, if you are, why waste everyone's time with this?
(Serious in a flippant way)

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2021, 12:20 PM   #2603
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's pretty dangerous though. If you skip your lesser-evil choice for the GTFO one and you split the vote, you're not going to get a majority.
Exactly. Forcing the vote for a candidate you don't want, because you detest the other, is the reason the last two Presidents got in office. This should stop.

Old 15th August 2021, 12:21 PM   #2604
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Exactly. Forcing the vote for a candidate you don't want, because you detest the other, is the reason the last two Presidents got in office. This should stop.
I'm not sure you understood my point. Your solution would most likely end up splitting the vote and end up giving us even worse presidents.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th August 2021, 12:25 PM   #2605
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I'm not sure you understood my point. Your solution would most likely end up splitting the vote and end up giving us even worse presidents.
I understand completely, which is why we we desperately need another viable option, even if a quite radical one. The dilemma you pose is not sustainable, yet we are solidly there.

Old 15th August 2021, 02:15 PM   #2606
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I have to wonder if the rapid takeover of Afghanistan by the Taliban will embolden the rednecks/redhats in the U.S. to try a similar thing here.
Old 15th August 2021, 02:34 PM   #2607
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have to wonder if the rapid takeover of Afghanistan by the Taliban will embolden the rednecks/redhats in the U.S. to try a similar thing here.
I don't know but I do know there's been a lot of similar pre-Jan 6 type chatter on the right wing forums, mostly by white supremacists, as issued by a DHS bulletin in June.

Quote:
A DHS National Terrorism Alert System (NTAS) Bulletin obtained by ABC News claimed that "in recent weeks, domestic violent extremists (DVEs) motivated by various violent ideologies have continued to advocate violence and plan attacks.

It continued: "As of 16 June, racially or ethnically motivated violent extremist-white supremacists (RMVE-WSs) were sharing downloadable links to a publication discussing targeting mass gatherings, critical infrastructure and law enforcement officers.
https://www.salon.com/2021/07/01/dhs...ent-delusions/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2021, 05:28 PM   #2608
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

According to Stephanie Grisham who was Melania's Chief of Staff, the former FL would not condemn the Jan. 6 riot violence as it was happening.

Quote:
At 1:25 p.m. on Jan. 6, soon after rioters had broken through barricades outside of the Capitol, MELANIA TRUMP received a text message from her then-chief of staff, STEPHANIE GRISHAM.

“Do you want to tweet that peaceful protests are the right of every American, but there is no place for lawlessness and violence?” Grisham asked the first lady.

A minute later, Melania replied with a one-word answer: “No.” At that moment, she was at the White House preparing for a photo shoot of a rug she had selected, according to exclusive excerpts of Grisham’s forthcoming book, “I’ll Take Your Questions Now: What I Saw in The Trump White House,” obtained by POLITICO.

Grisham, a years-long Trump loyalist who resigned within hours of that text exchange, also writes that she asked Melania a couple times whether she should reach out to JILL BIDEN during the transition to set up the traditional inauguration tea. But instead of setting up the meeting, Melania told her that they should “see what the West Wing does.” The reason, according to Grisham: Melania, like her husband, believed the election was illegitimate.
Quote:
“Stephanie has secrets about Trump that even the first lady doesn’t know,” the source said. “Secrets that he doesn’t want her to know. They will be in this book.”

Since news of the book broke late last week, numerous Trump-world figures have contacted Grisham to see how they are depicted in the book or to offer private messages of support, according to the source. Grisham, who is very familiar with how the Trumps operate, is also bracing for a potential smear campaign and legal fight if anyone sues to try to prevent publication. She knows, the source said, that there’s a hunt on to try to get a copy of the book to the Trumps; she’s received calls from people she barely knows asking for an early copy.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2021, 06:11 PM   #2609
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have to take anything Gresham says with a ton of salt..(standard SOP for me when a author has a "tell all" book coming out) but it will be interesting to see what comes out.
I get the feeling Gresham and Donnie don't like each other anymore.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2021, 06:34 PM   #2610
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have to take anything Gresham says with a ton of salt..(standard SOP for me when a author has a "tell all" book coming out) but it will be interesting to see what comes out.
Melania's rebuttal to this does not deny what Grisham wrote. That in itself is telling.

Quote:
The intent behind this book is obvious. It is an attempt to redeem herself after a poor performance as press secretary, failed personal relationships, and unprofessional behavior in the White House. Through mistruth and betrayal, she seeks to gain relevance and money at the expense of Mrs. Trump.”
Old 15th September 2021, 10:06 AM   #2611
jadebox
Master Poster

Grisham, who is very familiar with how the Trumps operate, is also bracing for a potential smear campaign....

The intent behind this book is obvious. It is an attempt to redeem herself after a poor performance as press secretary, failed personal relationships, and unprofessional behavior in the White House.

That didn't take long. :-)
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 10:31 AM   #2612
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post
Grisham, who is very familiar with how the Trumps operate, is also bracing for a potential smear campaign....
The BEST people!
Fast Eddie B is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 11:06 AM   #2613
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have to take anything Grisham says with a ton of salt..(standard SOP for me when a author has a "tell all" book coming out) but it will be interesting to see what comes out.

In this case, and in many similar ones, the events the author is reporting would have been witnessed by others. It doesn't just come down to "he said, she said." And it's consistent with what others have said and even recorded, as in the case of another assistant also named Stephanie.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...inston-wolkoff
https://abc30.com/melania-trump-tape...-news/6716225/

All of the public evidence is that Melania is a vile, manipulative gold-digger who thinks like her hubby. She gave it up when she arrived at a migrant children's shelter wearing her famous jacket, "I really don't care, do u?"
https://www.instyle.com/news/melania...re-zara-trench

Last edited by Bob001; 15th September 2021 at 11:13 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 12:08 PM   #2614
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
In this case, and in many similar ones, the events the author is reporting would have been witnessed by others. It doesn't just come down to "he said, she said." And it's consistent with what others have said and even recorded, as in the case of another assistant also named Stephanie.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...inston-wolkoff
https://abc30.com/melania-trump-tape...-news/6716225/

All of the public evidence is that Melania is a vile, manipulative gold-digger who thinks like her hubby. She gave it up when she arrived at a migrant children's shelter wearing her famous jacket, "I really don't care, do u?"
https://www.instyle.com/news/melania...re-zara-trench
By all accounts, Melania is also not the sharpest knife in the drawer, either.
Old 15th September 2021, 12:11 PM   #2615
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

By all accounts, Melania is also not the sharpest knife in the drawer, either.
Marrying a known dirtbag for $$$$ kinda makes you a dirtbag.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 12:23 PM   #2616
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
But a very rich dirtbag. In her limited defense, she married him when he was a celebrity developer and NY playboy. She never intended to become a public figure, and by some accounts wasn't happy about it.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 12:24 PM   #2617
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jadebox View Post

The intent behind this book is obvious. It is an attempt to redeem herself after a poor performance as press secretary, failed personal relationships, and unprofessional behavior in the White House.

That didn't take long. :-)
I actually can't disagree with much of that concerning Graham, but still am interested in what she has to say about Donnie.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 12:43 PM   #2618
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

But a very rich dirtbag. In her limited defense, she married him when he was a celebrity developer and NY playboy. She never intended to become a public figure, and by some accounts wasn't happy about it.
That does not change the fact she's a none too bright gold digger. And I'd bet their pre-nup is a doozy. After all, Donnie learned from his first two divorces.
Old 15th September 2021, 12:53 PM   #2619
Apathia
Philosopher

Japanese proverb:

Oni no nyoubou ni kijin.
A devil takes a goblin for a wife.

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 01:10 PM   #2620
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

That does not change the fact she's a none too bright gold digger. And I'd bet their pre-nup is a doozy. After all, Donnie learned from his first two divorces.
I was gonna type he hadn't learned from his bankruptcies, but those were just lessons in grift.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 01:26 PM   #2621
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I was gonna type he hadn't learned from his bankruptcies, but those were just lessons in grift.
Donnie's pretty good when it comes to saving his personal money.
Old 15th September 2021, 01:42 PM   #2622
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Melania Knavs/Knauss was ALREADY a public figure, a popular model.
Old 15th September 2021, 01:46 PM   #2623
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

My only issue with the public perception of Melania is this idea that

A) there is some "right" way to be a first lady
B) That way is "Be like Jackie."

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 02:58 PM   #2624
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I think there were mixed feelings there. Sure, she publicly disliked most of her 'FLOTUS duties'. But she was obviously ecstatic to wear that mourning get-up to visit the Pope.

And early on I believe when she was suing whomever had published once again her nude shots in that porno magazine, IIRC someone suggested she was about to become the most photographed woman in the world.

Her Jackie O fantasy came to an abrupt end when she got no Vogue, etc covers and no famous photo shoots. Her dismay, again IIRC, that Michelle Obama graced the cover of one of them (Vogue I think) was quite public.

I'd look these up to get the details right but I don't care, do you?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th September 2021 at 02:59 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 03:08 PM   #2625
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

The 'be like Jackie' came directly from the Melania camp and possibly directly from her.

I have no empathy, none, zilch for a woman who worked illegally on a tourist visa then stood up to the podium and declared unlike others, she had immigrated legally. And her parents arrived via one of those extended family pathways Dump railed on all the brown people for.

Not to mention she's a liar just like Dump. She was going to hold a press conference in the proverbial 2 weeks to show she never worked illegally. Never happened. And her bio is chock full of lies like she has a degree of some kind. And while I don't doubt she speaks at least 2 languages fluently and either also speaks French or has the ability to communicate sufficiently in French, that got ginned up too with some claim she speaks 5 or 6 languages.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 03:45 PM   #2626
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nah, she was a second rate model who started working here illegally for a company that is now defunct doing catalogue photos (According to Pulitzer Prize winning Mary Jordan's book The Art of Her Deal: The Untold Story of Melania Trump). She was not a public figure.

Quote:
Melania Trump was paid for 10 modeling jobs in the United States worth $20,056 that occurred in the seven weeks before she had legal permission to work in the country, according to detailed accounting ledgers, contracts and related documents from 20 years ago provided to The Associated Press.
That's an average of $2,000 per job. FAR from what popular top models are paid. And by the way, she did so illegally as her visa did not allow her to work in the country.

Quote:
The documents obtained by the AP show she was paid for 10 modeling assignments between Sept. 10 and Oct. 15, during a time when her visa allowed her generally to be in the U.S. and look for work but not perform paid work in the country. The documents examined by the AP indicate that the modeling assignments would have been outside the bounds of her visa.
Her former roommate and professional photographer, Matthew Atanian, said:

Quote:
But, according to Atanian, Melania was getting only second- and third-tier modeling work, and, at age 26, time was running out. Atanian, then shooting for Marie Claire, recalls her asking him to help her get in the magazine. He sensed it was hopeless. “She was always kind of a stiff person. That’s why she wasn’t a successful model, because she couldn’t move.”
We've all seen that wooden aura she has. No warmth, no personality.

Quote:
The union made perfect sense for Donald too. After demanding Ivana and needy Marla, Melania would be the perfect mate, one who would be an advertisement for his virility while giving him his “space.” Federico Pignatelli, a longtime Trump friend and business associate, who founded the fashion studio Pier 59, says, “Ivana was an intelligent, entrepreneurial woman. Also a very strong-minded person and very feisty. While instead, Melania . . . really no fights.” For her part, Melania would get a luxurious home where she could indulge her hobbies—Pilates and reading fashion magazines, according to People—in peace, and a promise that she would never have to return to drab Eastern-European prospects.
Like I said, a gold digger.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 15th September 2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old 15th September 2021, 03:51 PM   #2627
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The 'be like Jackie' came directly from the Melania camp and possibly directly from her.

I have no empathy, none, zilch for a woman who worked illegally on a tourist visa then stood up to the podium and declared unlike others, she had immigrated legally. And her parents arrived via one of those extended family pathways Dump railed on all the brown people for.

Not to mention she's a liar just like Dump. She was going to hold a press conference in the proverbial 2 weeks to show she never worked illegally. Never happened. And her bio is chock full of lies like she has a degree of some kind. And while I don't doubt she speaks at least 2 languages fluently and either also speaks French or has the ability to communicate sufficiently in French, that got ginned up too with some claim she speaks 5 or 6 languages.
She doesn't speak French. What she managed to get out on the trip to France was French 101. Notice that the Macrons never, ever said a word about her speaking French. If she had, something would have been said. Jackie K spoke fluent French and the French sure commented on it. Sec. Blinken also speaks fluent French. A French friend of mine said his French "C'est parfait".
Old 15th September 2021, 05:40 PM   #2628
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Nah, she was a second rate model who started working here illegally for a company that is now defunct doing catalogue photos (According to Pulitzer Prize winning Mary Jordan's book The Art of Her Deal: The Untold Story of Melania Trump). She was not a public figure.

That's an average of $2,000 per job. FAR from what popular top models are paid. And by the way, she did so illegally as her visa did not allow her to work in the country.

Her former roommate and professional photographer, Matthew Atanian, said:

We've all seen that wooden aura she has. No warmth, no personality.

Like I said, a gold digger.
You are, of course, correct. But she WANTED to be a pubic -- err public figure, at least give me that much! No other reason she'd have married Donald Mushroom-dick. It just wasn't the type of public figure she wanted.
Old 15th September 2021, 07:50 PM   #2629
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

You are, of course, correct. But she WANTED to be a pubic -- err public figure, at least give me that much! No other reason she'd have married Donald Mushroom-dick. It just wasn't the type of public figure she wanted.
She wanted a public figure but all she got was a 2 inch figurine.
"There is a virus here — it kills people. And the only way we prevent it is to get vaccinated, to wear masks, to do social distancing, washing your hands all the time, and not just to think about, 'Well, my freedom is being kind of disturbed here.' No, screw your freedom — because with freedom comes obligations and responsibilities. You cannot just say, 'I have the right to X, Y, and Z.' When you affect other people then it gets serious." -- Arnold Schwarzenegger
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 08:23 PM   #2630
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

That's not really true. Every First Lady has brought her own personality to the job -- and it is a job. Betty Ford brought attention to breast cancer research and treatment by talking about her own illness. Barbara Bush was about as far from Jackie O as anyone could be, but she was respected as a plain-talking grandmotherly figure. Nobody thought Michelle Obama should or could be more like Jackie. Melania was never even active in her husband's presidential campaigns, and she took on no important public role. She even sat in NY for six months, reportedly until she could negotiate a new pre(post)-nup. By numerous accounts, she is as self-absorbed, racist and evil as her hubby. "Not being like Jackie" is not on the list of her flaws.
Old 15th September 2021, 09:15 PM   #2631
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

She wanted the most money for the least effort, period. While I'm sure she had fantasies about being a famous model, she really just wanted a dump truck full of cash so that she could stop working at anything. Mission accomplished.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 09:26 PM   #2632
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I usually don't begrudge people taking opportunities to get filthy rich.
What I detest is when the same people pull up the ladder they climbed up behind them to make sure that no one else will be able to do what they did.
Old 15th September 2021, 09:54 PM   #2633
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I usually don't begrudge people taking opportunities to get filthy rich.
What I detest is when the same people pull up the ladder they climbed up behind them to make sure that no one else will be able to do what they did.
...you want more people to be able to marry Trump?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 09:59 PM   #2634
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That's not really true. Every First Lady has brought her own personality to the job -- and it is a job. Betty Ford brought attention to breast cancer research and treatment by talking about her own illness. Barbara Bush was about as far from Jackie O as anyone could be, but she was respected as a plain-talking grandmotherly figure. Nobody thought Michelle Obama should or could be more like Jackie. Melania was never even active in her husband's presidential campaigns, and she took on no important public role. She even sat in NY for six months, reportedly until she could negotiate a new pre(post)-nup. By numerous accounts, she is as self-absorbed, racist and evil as her hubby. "Not being like Jackie" is not on the list of her flaws.
You forgot Hillary Clinton as First Lady. As First Lady during Bill's presidency Politifact says:
Quote:
Clinton was key to creating the Children’s Health Insurance Program, which provides coverage for 8 million children.
Quote:
As the first lady of the United States, Clinton chaired the Task Force on National Health Care Reform during an unsuccessful campaign to reform the U.S. health system, and then was instrumental in the creation of the Children's Health Insurance Program, the adoption of the Safe Families Act and the Foster Care Independence Act. In 1995, she led the U.S. delegation to Beijing to attend the U.N. Fourth World Conference on Women, giving her famous speech in which she declared that “human rights are women’s rights, and women’s rights are human rights once and for all.”
As Arkansas' First Lady
Quote:
During her tenure as Arkansas’s first lady, Clinton chaired the Arkansas Educational Standards Committee, co-founded the Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, and served on the boards of the Arkansas Children’s Hospital, Legal Services, and the Children’s Defense Fund.
Compared to HRC, Melania was a very poor First Lady who did practically nothing.
Old 15th September 2021, 10:05 PM   #2635
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Eeeeeexactly.

no, I mean Melania could have helped making legal migration easy and more widespread, instead of doing the opposite.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 15th September 2021 at 10:07 PM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 10:09 PM   #2636
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
Hey, Mel is getting a bit long in the tooth for Donnie. He's probably on the hunt for a younger, foreign born piece of ego boosting arm candy now. I think a Russian born 28 year old would fit perfectly. Russian women are hardy and she'll be able to keep her dinner down when Donnie gets the Forbes magazine out and requests a spanking.
Old 15th September 2021, 10:12 PM   #2637
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I think you have a misunderstanding here.

After seeing her for 4 years it is indeed clear that she is at least close to being as self-absorbed, racist and evil as her hubby. Dump still holds the record.

But no one said she was anything like Jackie O. I, for one, said comments were made by her camp that she'd be a fashion icon and "the most photographed woman in the world." Melanie went on to complain when Michelle Obama was on the cover of Vogue (or whichever mag) that she, Melanie, was being ignored by these magazines. IIRC I think even Dump Jr made ignoring her out to be some plot against her.
Old 15th September 2021, 10:20 PM   #2638
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Eeeeeexactly.

no, I mean Melania could have helped making legal migration easy and more widespread, instead of doing the opposite.
Ohhhh...

This is what I get for posting when I can't sleep.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 10:24 PM   #2639
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

After seeing her for 4 years it is indeed clear that she is at least close to being as self-absorbed, racist and evil as her hubby. Dump still holds the record.

But no one said she was anything like Jackie O. I, for one, said comments were made by her camp that she'd be a fashion icon and "the most photographed woman in the world." Melanie went on to complain when Michelle Obama was on the cover of Vogue (or whichever mag) that she, Melanie, was being ignored by these magazines. IIRC I think even Dump Jr made ignoring her out to be some plot against her.
Yep.

Things have changed more than a bit since Jackie was FLOTUS. Then, like every good and natural wife, her job was to look pretty and support her husband. Her domain was the home and children. Anything more was not 'natural'. Women, like children, were to be seen and not heard unless spoken to first. And their opinion was treated pretty much the same as a child's.
Old 15th September 2021, 10:59 PM   #2640
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I was responding specifically to this comment:
The implication was that we expect First Ladies to be like Jackie, and are disappointed and critical when First Ladies are not like her. I don't think anybody has such an expectation. Melania earned contempt for her ignorance and behavior, not because she wasn't Jackie.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics