IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew Cuomo , New York politics , politics scandals

Old 21st March 2021, 05:29 PM   #121
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Yes, I brought up Trump to hilight where threatening to jail politicians who mishandled the Covid response would lead. I can certainly understand why you would prefer we ignore the facts about Trump to focus on mays, mights, and potentials about Cuomo that don't appear to be well grounded in the facts.
Very well. You seem a bit selective in the non-fact-grounded comments and 'uninformed speculation' you choose to police.

Last edited by Scopedog; 21st March 2021 at 05:36 PM.
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st March 2021, 06:43 PM   #122
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Scopedog View Post
Pure speculation follows: this freedom and latitude to compound misconduct upon misconduct was a result of the dereliction and malpractice of a significant proportion of the investigative journalism community who were incurious and who consciously or unconsciously made the cynical political calculation that negative press of the Cuomo administration might disillision enough Democratic voters to affect the presidential election. In contrast, they were and are always very curious about anything having to do with Trump or Republicans.
I don't think you can blame journalism. Reporters only have access to public records and to the information insiders give them. It's not like they can subpoena witnesses or stage raids. You can bet we would be reading about Trump's tax returns in detail if we could, but all we've seen are from the records Mary Trump gave the NY Times that she received in connection with her suit. Theranos was ultimately exposed by reporting in the Wall Street Journal. Enron execs concealed information from their own directors and accountants, let alone reporters. Journalists can only tell us what somebody is willing to tell them. They certainly didn't have any reason to protect Enron or Theranos.

Last edited by Bob001; 21st March 2021 at 06:44 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2021, 02:20 AM   #123
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I don't think you can blame journalism. Reporters only have access to public records and to the information insiders give them. It's not like they can subpoena witnesses or stage raids.
You're correct and I thought of this after posting. But why the conspicuous choice to harangue and lambaste some politicians in press conferences but not other politicians? They aren't going to get useful information that way anyway. However, I think they can get a brewing controversy in the public consciousness and get the public to start demanding answers, if they desire to. It doesn't take an organized conspiracy among journalists for this to happen, just personal bias among a significant enough proportion of them. (I think it's futile to mention this example, but anyway, Hunter Biden was and is under investigation but there was oddly almost universal condemnation of any reporting to that effect before the election. You might argue that the investigation is politically motivated or that Hunter is irrelevent to his father's presidential campaign but that doesn't seem like a standard consistently applied by journalists to all stories related to presidential politics. Indeed, attempting to connect the dots of suspicious financial ties, entanglements, and irregularities has been notably a sport for many years.)

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Theranos was ultimately exposed by reporting in the Wall Street Journal. Enron execs concealed information from their own directors and accountants, let alone reporters. Journalists can only tell us what somebody is willing to tell them. They certainly didn't have any reason to protect Enron or Theranos.
It seems to me that important and powerful people were making a lot of money from Enron and Elizabeth Holmes herself was a media darling and cause celebré. These would be disincentives to examine or scrutinize them too closely or publicly. I believe both companies were quite successful in suppressing criticism for some time. Do you deny that journalists' judgement can possibly be influenced by a desire for continued access or peer pressure (real or perceived)?
Scopedog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2021, 05:21 AM   #124
dirtywick
Illuminator

Many things can influence a journalists judgement. For instance, a politician that routinely lies about and attacks critics will probably be scrutinized more closely than one who doesn't. Or one whose children are actively involved in his political campaigns, make frequent media appearances, and are even members of the administration may have a different standard of reporting than those who do not.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2021, 05:28 AM   #125
wareyin
Philosopher

Very well. You seem a bit selective in the non-fact-grounded comments and 'uninformed speculation' you choose to police.
You are correct. There is so much of it from the right that one simply can't police all of it, so I have to pick and choose. Sometimes it's low hanging fruit such as what you've been posting because that's so trivially easy to correct.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2021, 08:59 AM   #126
Scopedog
Muse

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Many things can influence a journalists judgement. For instance, a politician that routinely lies about and attacks critics will probably be scrutinized more closely than one who doesn't. Or one whose children are actively involved in his political campaigns, make frequent media appearances, and are even members of the administration may have a different standard of reporting than those who do not.
Valid points and I appreciate that the response wasn't snide, hyperbolic, or sarcastic. On the other hand, I've learned from recent reports and this thread that Andrew Cuomo is a heavy-handed bully who has many enemies locally and nationally. What potentially accounts for the cozy press conferences and mostly fawning national coverage last year (many talking heads lamented that he wasn't the president or running for the Democratic presidential nomination- for several months, I even thought he would make a good candidate)? Was this almost universal national press and media posture somehow warranted at the time and, if so, why?

Last edited by Scopedog; 22nd March 2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:15 AM   #127
Scopedog
Muse

You are correct. There is so much of it from the right that one simply can't police all of it, so I have to pick and choose. Sometimes it's low hanging fruit such as what you've been posting because that's so trivially easy to correct.
I think you overestimate yourself but very well.
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:23 AM   #128
wareyin
Philosopher

I think you overestimate yourself but very well.
We aren't supposed to be personalizing things here, just for future reference. I understand that it can be frustrating when your positions are mocked, but that is not ruled (here) as a personal attack. Might I suggest seeking out less biased sources of information that won't lead to taking such mockable stances?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:29 AM   #129
Scopedog
Muse

We aren't supposed to be personalizing things here, just for future reference. I understand that it can be frustrating when your positions are mocked, but that is not ruled (here) as a personal attack. Might I suggest seeking out less biased sources of information that won't lead to taking such mockable stances?
Am I frustrated?
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:30 AM   #130
wareyin
Philosopher

Am I frustrated?
Is there some other reason you chose to personalize the argument?
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:33 AM   #131
Scopedog
Muse

Is there some other reason you chose to personalize the argument?
Feel free to report the post or posts.

Last edited by Scopedog; 22nd March 2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:39 AM   #132
Scopedog
Muse

Inadvertent duplicate.

Last edited by Scopedog; 22nd March 2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 22nd March 2021, 09:53 AM   #133
wareyin
Philosopher

Feel free to report the post or posts.
No, I'm trying to use it as a teaching moment rather than trying to get you in trouble.
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:36 AM   #134
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

NY AG releases investigation report, corroborates claims that Governor Cuomo sexually harassed multiple employees and retaliated against one that came forward to make a complaint, all in violation of NY state law.

Quote:
Cuomo is accused of "a pattern of inappropriate conduct" with a staff member described as "Executive Assistant #1," which included kissing her on the lips at least once, grabbing her butt during hugs, asking multiple times about whether she had cheated or would cheat on her husband and once reaching under her blouse and grabbing her breast, according to the report.

He sexually harassed a New York state trooper assigned to his security detail on a number of occasions, the report found.

Cuomo ran "his hand across her stomach, from her belly button to her right hip," as she held a door open, the report states. While she was standing in front of him on an elevator, he ran "his finger down her back, from the top of her neck down her spine to the middle of her back, saying 'hey, you,'" the report states.
Gross

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...orney-n1275806

Quote:
"We Have To Impeach": NY State Lawmakers Call for Cuomo to Resign or Be Removed
https://eoinhiggins.substack.com/p/w...tate-lawmakers

ETA: lol

Originally Posted by Daybook Jobs posted today
Job Opportunity

The Office of New York Governor Andrew Cuomo seeks an Assistant Counsel to the Governor based in Albany, NY.
https://twitter.com/DaybookJobs/stat...81423727288321

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 3rd August 2021 at 10:14 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:52 AM   #135
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

I just saw a video calling Cuomo creepy, which he is, but it was hosted by Charlie Kirk, whose thumbnail photo oozes creep.

Carry on with the Cuomo conversation.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:56 AM   #136
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Someone should have stopped this man years ago, before it came to multiple accusations in the media and the courts. It sounds like someone should have told him to knock it off at work.

I should think HR should have gotten complaints and made Cuomo attend gender sensitivity classes like employees often have to.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd August 2021 at 10:57 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:04 AM   #137
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Someone should have stopped this man years ago, before it came to multiple accusations in the media and the courts. It sounds like someone should have told him to knock it off at work.

I should think HR should have gotten complaints and made Cuomo attend gender sensitivity classes like employees often have to.
Seeing as he retaliated against an employee that dared complain, obviously this would not have worked.

Cuomo needs to resign or be removed via impeachment. The report makes it clear that he is rampantly corrupt and a sexual predator.

ETA: Cuomo continues to deny all allegations of wrongdoing. It's time for the state democrats to put up or shut up.
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:04 AM   #138
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Cuomo has to go. Period end of discussion.
I just hope the Dems don't circle the wagons around Cuomo over this.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:07 AM   #139
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

BTW his brother needs to go on hiatus from his TV show.
Which I admit I don't like anyway. He comes off as an insufferable jerk. And enough of his stupid slogans.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:10 AM   #140
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Quote:
“My job is not about me, my job is about you,” Cuomo said during a video statement he made online this afternoon. “What matters to me at the end of the day is getting the most done I can for you. I will not be distracted from that job.”
He is such an altruistic person only concerned about me as a New Yorker.
Thank You Andrew Cuomo!

Last edited by eeyore1954; 3rd August 2021 at 11:11 AM.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:12 AM   #141
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Cuomo has to go. Period end of discussion.
I just hope the Dems don't circle the wagons around Cuomo over this.
I don't think they will. 5 years ago maybe but times have changed.
eeyore1954 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:13 AM   #142
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Well, time for the Democrats to test their commitment to #metoo. Cuomo seems dead set on just white-knuckling it through this scandal. If he won't go, they need to throw his ass out.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Another Democrat can serve as governor as well as Cuomo, there's no benefit to keeping him around other than to pander for favor from the Cuomo machine.

It would have the added benefit of no longer having to pretend his leadership over NY's covid response wasn't a disaster. Throw him under the bus where he belongs and move on.
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:21 AM   #143
Lithrael
Master Poster

Yeah that is pretty unequivocally gross.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:02 PM   #144
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

i saw some of Cuomo's response. It's not just a river in Egypt.
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:07 PM   #145
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

If guilty, he needs to go!

Too bad he's not a Republican. This qualifies him for POTUS!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:15 PM   #146
eeyore1954
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
If guilty, he needs to go!

Too bad he's not a Republican. This qualifies him for POTUS!
I don't think this type of behavior would have disqualified many candidates of either party until a few years ago.
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:18 PM   #147
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I don't think this type of behavior would have disqualified many candidates of either party until a few years ago.
Do you think it would disqualify a Republican NOW? Doesn't seem to matter to them one iota.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:48 PM   #148
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
i saw some of Cuomo's response. It's not just a river in Egypt.
Basically I will never resign under any circumstances. No.Never.

He will be gone by the end of the week at the latest.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:05 PM   #149
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Biden just called for Cuomo to resign.
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:21 PM   #150
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Et Tu, Joe?

I think the odds he will quit tommorow..Wendesday....just want up a lot.
You bet I will be watching to see what his brother has to say about his on CNN.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 3rd August 2021 at 02:23 PM.
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:29 PM   #151
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And he used the old "That is not who I am " line.
Notice when somebody says that in denial , 90% of the time it turns out that is exactly who it is...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:30 PM   #152
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Et Tu, Joe?

I think the odds he will quit tommorow..Wendesday....just want up a lot.
You bet I will be watching to see what his brother has to say about his on CNN.
If he's smart, he'll just keep his mouth shut.
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:38 PM   #153
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If he's smart, he'll just keep his mouth shut.
Problem is he HAS to say something.Just pretending nothing is happening is not going to work.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd August 2021, 02:38 PM   #154
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

#renamethebridge
Old 3rd August 2021, 03:42 PM   #155
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am betting that /if Cumeo does not resign very quickly, soon a party of NY Democratic leaders will be visiting Cuomo with a "quit or be impeached" message

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd August 2021, 04:08 PM   #156
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

What the hell did he think that unhinged not apology was going to accomplish? He needs to forget his political career and start trying to protect himself criminal charges and the law suits.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd August 2021, 04:48 PM   #157
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What the hell did he think that unhinged not apology was going to accomplish? He needs to forget his political career and start trying to protect himself criminal charges and the law suits.
Well, it just gave the late night comedians a lot of great material.....

The Speaker of the New York State Assembly just said Cuomo should not hold public office, which I think is sending a pretty clear message to Cuomo: resign or you will be impeached..and damn quickly .

But of course I knew you would get this from a poster on the WAPO bulletin board:

Quote:
My fear is that part of this investigation is a political hit job to get a governor instated who will pardon Trump. The GOP are going after governors. Next up, Newsom.
Yeah, it's all a Republican plot. Democratic Politicians are incapable of evil.
Of course that a snowball in hell has a much better chance of a long life then a Republcan has of being Governor of New York in the near future goes right by the guy.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 3rd August 2021 at 04:51 PM.
Old 3rd August 2021, 04:54 PM   #158
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Problem is he HAS to say something.Just pretending nothing is happening is not going to work.
No, he doesn't have go say anything more than, "This is my brother and it's personal. No comment".
Old 3rd August 2021, 04:57 PM   #159
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it just gave the late night comedians a lot of great material.....

The Speaker of the New York State Assembly just said Cuomo should not hold public office, which I think is sending a pretty clear message to Cuomo: resign or you will be impeached..and damn quickly .

But of course I knew you would get this from a poster on the WAPO bulletin board:

Yeah, it's all a Republican plot. Democratic Politicians are incapable of evil.
Of course that a snowball in hell has a much better chance of a long life then a Republcan has of being Governor of New York in the near future goes right by the guy.
The WAPO poster is just as wrong as the GOP mantra of 'witch hunt' re Trump.
Old 3rd August 2021, 07:57 PM   #160
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

No, he doesn't have go say anything more than, "This is my brother and it's personal. No comment".
My guess is, he'll push the "I can't say anything because of the investigation" angle. Which may be true if he helped him draft a letter, as claimed.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics