IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew Cuomo , New York politics , politics scandals

Old 4th August 2021, 12:12 AM   #161
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Do you think it would disqualify a Republican NOW? Doesn't seem to matter to them one iota.
This is all about the GOP, of course.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:16 AM   #162
Susheel
Master Poster

No it isn't. Most of the comments above are from "liberal commies" condemning him.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:20 AM   #163
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Related satire:

Quote:
"If you find yourself smelling nothing but the scent of garlic and marinara sauce combined with profuse amounts of cheap cologne, this is a sure sign you've been infected,"

https://babylonbee.com/news/experts-...tal-to-elderly
Old 4th August 2021, 01:05 AM   #164
carlosy
Critical Thinker

Interesting bit about Cuomo and Cuomo and CNN, on CNN:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/03/m...ces/index.html

Chris Cuomo should have gone at least into a hiatus when the whole thing started. Now it's too late and CC and CNN look strange on this one, well CC put CNN in a weird spot by staying on air.
carlosy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 08:53 AM   #165
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Cuomo has to go. Period end of discussion.
Here's a prominent Democrat who agrees with you.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 08:59 AM   #166
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlosy View Post
Chris Cuomo should have gone at least into a hiatus when the whole thing started.
The problem goes back even further than that. Chris should never have covered or interviewed Andrew ever, at any point. To paraphrase A.M. Rosenthal, it's OK for a reporter to **** an elephant, but they can't cover the circus.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 09:18 AM   #167
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

BTW his brother needs to go on hiatus from his TV show.
Which I admit I don't like anyway. He comes off as an insufferable jerk. And enough of his stupid slogans.
Why? Because he took his brother's side?

Does that mean that every right wing reporter that has stood up for Trump should have to go too?
Old 4th August 2021, 09:31 AM   #168
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No. Because he's his brother.
Old 4th August 2021, 09:35 AM   #169
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
If someone's sibling is bad, that carries over? Is sexual assault an inherited trait?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 09:37 AM   #170
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
If someone's sibling is bad, that carries over? Is sexual assault an inherited trait?
No. If someone's sibling is a subject of news, and that someone is a reporter, that someone should stay the hell away from covering it.

I thought I made that pretty explicit with the whole ******* elephants thing.
Old 4th August 2021, 09:41 AM   #171
wareyin
Philosopher

No. If someone's sibling is a subject of news, and that someone is a reporter, that someone should stay the hell away from covering it.

I thought I made that pretty explicit with the whole ******* elephants thing.
Ok, that explains why Cuomo should avoid covering news about his brother. It doesn't explain why Cuomo should go on a hiatus from his show. Is his show exclusively about his brother?
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 09:45 AM   #172
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

So what?
Old 4th August 2021, 09:46 AM   #173
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Someone should have stopped this man years ago, before it came to multiple accusations in the media and the courts. It sounds like someone should have told him to knock it off at work.

I should think HR should have gotten complaints and made Cuomo attend gender sensitivity classes like employees often have to.
Never mind "gender" sensitivity. It's not behaviour that's acceptable regardless of genders.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 09:58 AM   #174
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

So what?
So don't cover the circus when you're ******* the elephants.
Old 4th August 2021, 10:03 AM   #175
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

So don't cover the circus when you're ******* the elephants.
He agreed a year ago not to cover his brother.
Old 4th August 2021, 10:28 AM   #176
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

He agreed a year ago not to cover his brother.
He agreed to not keep doing what he should never have done to begin with?

Why was he even allowed to do it in the first place?

Oh, right. CNN. There are no adults in charge.
Old 4th August 2021, 10:37 AM   #177
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

He agreed to not keep doing what he should never have done to begin with?

Why was he even allowed to do it in the first place?

Oh, right. CNN. There are no adults in charge.
You're right. But that's irrelevant now. Also, let's not pretend that right wing media cares about conflicts of interest.
Old 4th August 2021, 10:46 AM   #178
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You're right. But that's irrelevant now. Also, let's not pretend that right wing media cares about conflicts of interest.
I am not right wing media. I am not talking about right wing media, and am not making any claim about the problem being partisan. I do care about conflicts of interest. I will do you the courtesy of presuming you do too, and I would like you to return the courtesy of presuming my concerns are in good faith.
Old 4th August 2021, 10:49 AM   #179
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Cable news, generally speaking, is pretty bad. There usually isn't that much news content to fill the day and often the programming boils down to little more than personality driven punditry, be that Cuomo or Carlson or Maddow or whatever.

Having the brother of a powerful politician as one of their big personalities is exactly the kind of thing that cable news would do, and exactly the kind of thing that makes for terrible journalism.

The softball coverage between the two brothers was already embarrassing before the scandal, and now CNN is coming out of this looking like total hacks, which is very much deserved.
Old 4th August 2021, 10:55 AM   #180
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I am not right wing media. I am not talking about right wing media, and am not making any claim about the problem being partisan. I do care about conflicts of interest. I will do you the courtesy of presuming you do too, and I would like you to return the courtesy of presuming my concerns are in good faith.
*Snorts* Okay. I guess you just independently and of your own doing parrot right wing media talking points with 100% consistency.

If you ever have a thought that Fox News hasn't already had, I'll listen.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 11:08 AM   #181
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Snorts* Okay. I guess you just independently and of your own doing parrot right wing media talking points with 100% consistency.

If you ever have a thought that Fox News hasn't already had, I'll listen.
Huh. I wouldn't have thought that opposition to blatant conflicts of interest was an intrinsically partisan thing. SuburbanTurkey doesn't seem to think it should be. Do you think trying to make it one is a winning strategy?

Or are you just reflexively attacking my posts because you don't like me?
Old 4th August 2021, 11:08 AM   #182
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I don't think this type of behavior would have disqualified many candidates of either party until a few years ago.
Do you think it would disqualify a Republican NOW? Doesn't seem to matter to them one iota.
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This is all about the GOP, of course.
It's about a party that elected a man who, before the election, was revealed as thinking he had the right to "grab *****" and sexually assault/harass women because he was 'a celebrity'. It's about a party that elected a man knowing that TWENTY-SIX women had accused him of sexual misconduct, including rape. It's about a party that STILL supports him and is virtually under his control. So, yeah, this is about the GOP.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 11:17 AM   #183
wareyin
Philosopher

Remember people, it's only bad if the Dems do it. Nothing else to see here, moving along...
Old 4th August 2021, 11:18 AM   #184
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Remember people, it's only bad if the Dems do it.
Who said that? I didn't.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:21 AM   #185
wareyin
Philosopher

Who said that? I didn't.
Of course not! Why, how could anyone suggest that only complaining about it when the Dems do it but defending it when it's Right Wing is meant to give the impression that it's OK if you're a Republican?
Old 4th August 2021, 11:21 AM   #186
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Who said that? I didn't.
True, you didn't. But you're only interested in it when a Democrat does it.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:23 AM   #187
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Who said that? I didn't.
Sure you didn't. "I never said those exact words!" We know the drill.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 11:29 AM   #188
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
What exactly is "it" here?

Keep in mind that what I was commenting on in this latest exchange is the conflict of interest with Chris Cuomo covering Andrew Cuomo, and NOT what Andrew is alleged to have done.

You don't seem to be the only one making this error here. It's quite a peculiar defensive reflex. I could speculate about the psychological motives behind it, but that wouldn't actually achieve anything.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:29 AM   #189
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Of course not! Why, how could anyone suggest that only complaining about it when the Dems do it but defending it when it's Right Wing is meant to give the impression that it's OK if you're a Republican?
Are there posts of Ziggurat defending sexual assault by Republicans?

Are there any comments in this thread of you expressing concern over the Cuomo accusations?
Old 4th August 2021, 11:37 AM   #190
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
This is actually a distraction. The really odd thing is that this particular exchange wasn't even about sexual assault, but about the conflict of interest in someone covering their own brother. Seriously, trace back the responses, and it starts with this exchange:

BTW his brother needs to go on hiatus from his TV show.
Which I admit I don't like anyway. He comes off as an insufferable jerk. And enough of his stupid slogans.

Does that mean that every right wing reporter that has stood up for Trump should have to go too?
Nothing about the accusations against Andrew Cuomo is in here. He could be completely clean, an absolute saint, and the criticism about the conflict of interest in Chris covering him would still be just as valid.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:41 AM   #191
Warp12
Graduate Poster

It's about a party that elected a man who, before the election, was revealed as thinking he had the right to "grab *****" and sexually assault/harass women because he was 'a celebrity'. It's about a party that elected a man knowing that TWENTY-SIX women had accused him of sexual misconduct, including rape. It's about a party that STILL supports him and is virtually under his control. So, yeah, this is about the GOP.
So, the actions of Cuomo are about the GOP? Thanks for the clarification...I think.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:42 AM   #192
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No.

Trust is earned, not given.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:45 AM   #193
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No.

Trust is earned, not given.
I didn't ask for trust, I asked for courtesy. A courtesy in exchange for a courtesy.

But if you don't want courtesy, then you don't get courtesy. You have shown no indication that you care about conflicts of interest, and you certainly don't seem bothered by this one. I will therefore assume you are not.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:46 AM   #194
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Sure you didn't. "I never said those exact words!" We know the drill.
You guys really are thin-skinned narcissists.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 11:49 AM   #195
wareyin
Philosopher

As they say down here, Bless your heart. The topic of discussion at that point was biased media personalities, as a 4th grade child could have told you.

(Eta: ninja'd by Zig himself in post 190. Who would have thunk it?)

Although, I wouldn't be shocked if Zig had defended Trump's sexual assaults, or Roy Moore's, perhaps Matt Gaetz's? Bill O'Reilly? I can't be bothered to go back and look now, though.

Are there any comments in this thread of you expressing concern over the Cuomo accusations?
Other than way back in March me pointing out in a cheering manner that over a dozen Democrats in Congress were calling for Cuomo to resign, you mean?

Last edited by wareyin; 4th August 2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:54 AM   #196
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

As they say down here, Bless your heart. The topic of discussion at that point was biased media personalities, as a 4th grade child could have told you.
No, it wasn't about bias either, it was about conflicts of interest.

These are related, but the distinction does matter.

Last edited by Ziggurat; 4th August 2021 at 11:55 AM.
Old 4th August 2021, 11:57 AM   #197
wareyin
Philosopher

No, it wasn't about bias either, it was about conflicts of interest.

These are related, but the distinction does matter.
It mattered over a year ago, before Chris stopped covering his brother, thus negating the conflict of interest/bias that you are now concerned about.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:00 PM   #198
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't ask for trust, I asked for courtesy. A courtesy in exchange for a courtesy.

But if you don't want courtesy, then you don't get courtesy. You have shown no indication that you care about conflicts of interest, and you certainly don't seem bothered by this one. I will therefore assume you are not.
It's not a courtesy I would extend to someone who has demonstrated rank partisanship for years.

I think Andrew Cuomo should resign or be impeached if the evidence is true which it appears to be. That said, I don't think his brother should face any penalty unless his wrongdoing can be demonstrated. Being the Governor's brother in itself is not enough in my mind.

Last edited by acbytesla; 4th August 2021 at 12:01 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 12:03 PM   #199
Belz...
Fiend God

It's not a courtesy I would extend to someone who has demonstrated rank partisanship for years.

I think Andrew Cuomo should resign or be impeached if the evidence is true which it appears to be. That said, I don't think his brother should face any penalty unless his wrongdoing can be demonstrated. Being the Governor's brother in itself is not enough in my mind.
Seems like being Andrew Cuomo's brother is punishment enough.

Old 4th August 2021, 12:12 PM   #200
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

It mattered over a year ago, before Chris stopped covering his brother, thus negating the conflict of interest/bias that you are now concerned about.
It's kinda ridiculous that this wasn't a rule from the start. A guy interviewing his own brother isn't journalism.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics