IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew Cuomo , New York politics , politics scandals

Old 4th August 2021, 12:14 PM   #201
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I don't think this type of behavior would have disqualified many candidates of either party until a few years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Do you think it would disqualify a Republican NOW? Doesn't seem to matter to them one iota.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
So, the actions of Cuomo are about the GOP? Thanks for the clarification...I think.

The Dems, including Biden, are calling for Cuomo to resign. The GOP elected a self-confessed serial assaulter and still support him. If you can't see the difference, then you either have a reading comprehension problem or are being intentionally obtuse or.... .
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 12:21 PM   #202
Warp12
Graduate Poster

The GOP elected a self-confessed serial assaulter and still support him. If you can't see the difference, then you either have a reading comprehension problem or are being intentionally obtuse or.... .
The only thing that could be worse would be if he repeatedly had an intern pleasure him in the oval office, right? You know, something that was actually proven, once.

And imagine if that person was still doing tours, to adoring crowds, and such? And, heck, maybe their adoring wife might even run for President.

Pass me a cigar, while I ponder this.

Last edited by Warp12; 4th August 2021 at 12:25 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 12:26 PM   #203
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
It mattered over a year ago, before Chris stopped covering his brother, thus negating the conflict of interest/bias that you are now concerned about.
Are you actually under the impression that the culture at CNN which allowed this problem to exist in the first place changed just because they "fixed" it this time?

If not, then how do you not understand why one might still be concerned? And if so, on what basis would you come to that conclusion?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 12:26 PM   #204
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The only thing that could be worse would be if he repeatedly had an intern pleasure him in the oval office, right? You know, something that was actually proven, once.

Pass me a cigar.
That happened AFTER he was elected, not before. Try comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges and you might have a point. Otherwise, stop digging your hole deeper.

ETA: And I didn't see anyone defending what he did, including Dems. His impeachment was for perjury, not the blow jobs. Which by the way, were consensual unlike what Trump did. And not a crime.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 4th August 2021 at 12:31 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 12:27 PM   #205
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

And imagine if that person was still doing tours, to adoring crowds, and such? And, heck, maybe their adoring wife might even run for President.

Thank you for another point in favor of my hypothesis: "It's only wrong if a Democrat/liberal/progressive does it."

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 12:29 PM   #206
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Thank you for another point in favor of my hypothesis: "It's only wrong if a Democrat/liberal/progressive does it."
Who said that? Trump seems pretty deplorable in regards to these matters, imo.

But, no different from any other person who engages in any such things...and they aren't all GOP members. Obviously.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:34 PM   #207
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
And imagine if that person was still doing tours, to adoring crowds, and such?
You mean like TRUMP?

And imagine if that person were still doing tours, to adoring crowds, and calling for the overthrow of an election because he's a mentally ill narcissistic sociopath. I suggest you don't play this game anymore because you're going to lose.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:38 PM   #208
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Who said that? Trump seems pretty deplorable in regards to these matters, imo.

But, no different from any other person who engages in any such things...and they aren't all GOP members. Obviously.
No one said they were all GOP members so stop moving the goal post.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:42 PM   #209
Warp12
Graduate Poster

It's about a party that elected a man who, before the election, was revealed as thinking he had the right to "grab *****" and sexually assault/harass women because he was 'a celebrity'. It's about a party that elected a man knowing that TWENTY-SIX women had accused him of sexual misconduct, including rape. It's about a party that STILL supports him and is virtually under his control. So, yeah, this is about the GOP.
No one said they were all GOP members so stop moving the goal post.
But, in this case, it is about the GOP, right?

Got it.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:45 PM   #210
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Coumo scandal:

Dems: GET HIM OUT!
Repubs: GET HIM OUT!

Trump sexual assault:
Repubs: innocent locker room talk. LOL.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 12:45 PM   #211
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I don't think this type of behavior would have disqualified many candidates of either party until a few years ago.
Quote:
Do you think it would disqualify a Republican NOW? Doesn't seem to matter to them one iota.
But, in this case, it is about the GOP, right?

Got it.

Finally. It took you long enough.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:47 PM   #212
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Coumo scandal:

Repubs: GET HIM OUT!

Trump sexual assault:
Repubs: innocent locker room talk. LOL.
I wouldn't spike the football and do a dance quite yet. It sure seems like Democrats are sticking to their principles and gunning for Cuomo's head, but it remains to be seen if they actually follow through.

It sure seems likely that they will twist his arm to resign or even impeach him shortly, but nothing is settled yet.
Old 4th August 2021, 12:53 PM   #213
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I wouldn't spike the football and do a dance quite yet. It sure seems like Democrats are sticking to their principles and gunning for Cuomo's head, but it remains to be seen if they actually follow through.

It sure seems likely that they will twist his arm to resign or even impeach him shortly, but nothing is settled yet.
Right now Iím only Ďrepeatingí whatís being said. Not necessarily what is going to happen, or the outcome.

Both sides are currently gunning for his head.

Old 4th August 2021, 01:16 PM   #214
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Republican Rep. Madison Cawthorn is facing allegations of sexual harassment and misconduct by several women who say he put them in uncomfortable situations when he was a college student, with the former classmates detailing to CNN on Monday how the rising star of the conservative right would use "fun" drives as a way to make unwanted advances on them.
Do we hear any calls from the GOP for Cawthorn to resign? No.

Matt Gaetz is being investigated for child sex trafficking. Do you hear the GOP calling for him to resign? No. Crickets.

Roy Moore, accused of harassing or assaulting women as young as age 14, was still supported by Trump.

Brent Kavanaugh was accused of rape and had a reputation for 'debauchery' but the WH defended him and he was confirmed as a SCOTUS justice on a party line vote.
Old 4th August 2021, 01:55 PM   #215
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have to walk back my "He will be gone by Friday" prediction. From what I am reading the arrogant SOB is going to fight it out through an Impeachment trial.
I have little doubt he will be convicted and removed, but only after putting New York State through a massive disctraction when it needs to focus on the Covid crisis.
The guy is not quite as bad as Trump, but he is getting there.....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 02:06 PM   #216
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Do we hear any calls from the GOP for Cawthorn to resign? No.

Matt Gaetz is being investigated for child sex trafficking. Do you hear the GOP calling for him to resign? No. Crickets.

Roy Moore, accused of harassing or assaulting women as young as age 14, was still supported by Trump.

Brent Kavanaugh was accused of rape and had a reputation for 'debauchery' but the WH defended him and he was confirmed as a SCOTUS justice on a party line vote.
Rarely do they call for the head of a member of their tribe. But there are exceptions. I seem to recall a Senator or Congressman from Idaho or maybe it was Montana for lewd behavior in an airport bathroom stall.A homosexual? Get him out!
Old 4th August 2021, 02:14 PM   #217
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Rarely do they call for the head of a member of their tribe. But there are exceptions. I seem to recall a Senator or Congressman from Idaho or maybe it was Montana for lewd behavior in an airport bathroom stall.A homosexual? Get him out!
Larry Craig senator from Idaho in 2007. Pre-Trump.
Old 4th August 2021, 02:58 PM   #218
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Are you actually under the impression that the culture at CNN which allowed this problem to exist in the first place changed just because they "fixed" it this time?

If not, then how do you not understand why one might still be concerned? And if so, on what basis would you come to that conclusion?
Just how many journalists at CNN have siblings that they cover on tv? I mean, Sean Hannity advising Trump while also covering him on TV for years was cool, so it's not the conflict of interest that actually matters as far as I can tell, it's the relationship.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 02:59 PM   #219
Belz...
Fiend God

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 03:12 PM   #220
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Outlandish, because cruising is generally acceptable behavior for any public official, right?
Old 4th August 2021, 03:14 PM   #221
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Outlandish, because cruising is generally acceptable behavior for any public official, right?
Better than accepting bribes.
Old 4th August 2021, 03:28 PM   #222
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Just how many journalists at CNN have siblings that they cover on tv? I mean, Sean Hannity advising Trump while also covering him on TV for years was cool, so it's not the conflict of interest that actually matters as far as I can tell, it's the relationship.
That is it. Just having the brother of a major political figure as the host of a news show is just a bad look as far as creditibility goes even if the host does recuse himself.
Amazed people don't get this. I am convinced that Chris Cumeo is a liberal commentor has a lot to do with this.

Chris is using the "we are going to concentrate on Covid" line, but I doubt that changes much.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 03:28 PM   #223
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That someone who is probably a huge fan of Foxnews make this accusation is just plain funny.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th August 2021, 04:02 PM   #224
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Two major criminal investigations under way by the Albany County DA's office and the Manhatten DA's office. Andy has better stop trying to save his dead political career and worry about staying out of jail.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th August 2021, 04:22 PM   #225
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That is it. Just having the brother of a major political figure as the host of a news show is just a bad look as far as creditibility goes even if the host does recuse himself.
Amazed people don't get this. I am convinced that Chris Cumeo is a liberal commentor has a lot to do with this.

Chris is using the "we are going to concentrate on Covid" line, but I doubt that changes much.
Look, I don't care very much for either of them. Both are a pair of privileged lucky sperms. That said, Chris works in private enterprise. His job is in no way tied to Andrew's.

Now that doesn't mean CNN doesn't owe it to their viewers to minimize his involvement in any coverage of his brother. But it is not fair to terminate his employment because of his brother.
Old 4th August 2021, 05:25 PM   #226
mgidm86
Philosopher

Man I missed a photo-op yesterday. Dudes moving a soccer goal using two golf carts, out in the street outside the school. The looked...confused.
Old 4th August 2021, 05:33 PM   #227
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Look, I don't care very much for either of them. Both are a pair of privileged lucky sperms. That said, Chris works in private enterprise. His job is in no way tied to Andrew's.

Now that doesn't mean CNN doesn't owe it to their viewers to minimize his involvement in any coverage of his brother. But it is not fair to terminate his employment because of his brother.
In the world of entertaiment and media, it's all about appreance and how things are seen. It's not fair, but that the way it works in those industries. And, I repeat, having the brother of a major politician as a host of a regular show is not a good look for a news network trying to projec itself an a unbiased newsource.

And ,frankly, a resentment of anybody who chanced to be born in more money then you is not a good look either

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th August 2021, 05:34 PM   #228
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if Cumeo's tactic is to hold on in hopes of trading his resignation in returen for no or reduced criminal charges.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 4th August 2021, 05:40 PM   #229
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
In the world of entertaiment and media, it's all about appreance and how things are seen. It's not fair, but that the way it works in those industries. And, I repeat, having the brother of a major politician as a host of a regular show is not a good look for a news network trying to projec itself an a unbiased newsource.

And ,frankly, a resentment of anybody who chanced to be born in more money then you is not a good look either
I'm not running for office so I don't care. I will always respect the man who built something out of nothing over the person who had every advantage. It's the difference between meritocracy and aristocracy.

The two of them are just examples of people who scored runs in the game of life. But that is always made substantially easier when you start on third base.
Old 4th August 2021, 06:01 PM   #230
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I mean, Sean Hannity advising Trump while also covering him on TV for years was cool
No, it wasnít cool. That sort of chummy relationship seems pretty common between reporters and politicians, Hannity is far from alone, but itís bad all around. I wonít give Hannity a pass just because Chris was worse.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2021, 06:06 PM   #231
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

No, it wasnít cool. That sort of chummy relationship seems pretty common between reporters and politicians, Hannity is far from alone, but itís bad all around. I wonít give Hannity a pass just because Chris was worse.
BS.

We all know that's not the reason.
Old 4th August 2021, 06:18 PM   #232
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I agree. It's the sins of the father, not the brother!

As long as Chris doesn't say anything about his brother or the case, I see no reason for him to lose his job.
Old 4th August 2021, 08:20 PM   #233
Warp12
Graduate Poster

As long as Chris doesn't say anything about his brother or the case, I see no reason for him to lose his job.
That doesn't mean we have to give up hope.
Old 5th August 2021, 02:21 AM   #234
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Probably been ninja'd a gazillion times already...

You're just trolling, now. Clinton and Lewinski had a consensual affair. Indeed, as I understand it she came on to him. Neither made unwelcome advances upon the other. And such an affair is not a crime nor open for civil action.

To equate this with sexual assault is bull pucky, and you know it. Unless you're 7 or 8 years old.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 02:46 AM   #235
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Probably been ninja'd a gazillion times already...

You're just trolling, now. Clinton and Lewinski had a consensual affair. Indeed, as I understand it she came on to him. Neither made unwelcome advances upon the other. And such an affair is not a crime nor open for civil action.

To equate this with sexual assault is bull pucky, and you know it. Unless you're 7 or 8 years old.
I think you are missing the context. As usual, someone had to make this whole Cuomo thing somehow about the GOP. I was pointing out the difference between what has been accused vs what has been proven, when it comes to Trump, and say, Clinton.

At the end of the day, this is a Cuomo issue...not a GOP issue.

Also..."she came on to him". Classic, lol.
Old 5th August 2021, 03:09 AM   #236
Parsman
Muse

I think you are missing the context. As usual, someone had to make this whole Cuomo thing somehow about the GOP. I was pointing out the difference between what has been accused vs what has been proven, when it comes to Trump, and say, Clinton.

At the end of the day, this is a Cuomo issue...not a GOP issue.

Also..."she came on to him". Classic, lol.
It seems the main reason Trump ran for President was to gain some sort of legal cover for his criminal actions, including his alleged sexual assaults. These things may well be proven and certainly seem to be being investigated now. Of course this is why he is so desperate for his big lie to gain some traction too.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 04:31 AM   #237
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
It seems the main reason Trump ran for President was to gain some sort of legal cover for his criminal actions, including his alleged sexual assaults.
By all accounts he didn't expect to win and was dismayed when he did, so it doesn't seem like he was aiming for the legal protections offered by the office.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 04:33 AM   #238
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

By all accounts he didn't expect to win and was dismayed when he did, so it doesn't seem like he was aiming for the legal protections offered by the office.
If anything, the higher profile drew unwanted attention to his legal vulnerabilities. He's been running shady businesses and various scams for decades, an increased profile makes that more difficult.
Old 5th August 2021, 05:11 AM   #239
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Billy Bush got fired for having a guy brag about sexually assaulting women to him. Really pretty much anything can get you fired in the media.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 05:32 AM   #240
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
The ‘Cuomosexual’ phenomenon was disgraceful. We’re politicians’ bosses, not their fans.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ot-their-fans/

The whole sexual harassment scandal finally put a stop to this, but even before this was publicly known the personality worship directed towards Gov. Cuomo was gross.

It's not a good way for the public to interact with government leaders and never should have happened.

The press and the public credulously accepted the narrative that the NY governor was some kind of Covid-19 policy genius, all the while they were cooking the books on the deaths that occurred as a direct result of their disastrous management.

Reminds me of the "Camelot" nostalgia for JFK. Read a tabloid if you want to gush over a celebrity, politicians should not be treated this way and doing so gives them cover to act poorly.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 5th August 2021 at 05:33 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics