IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew Cuomo , New York politics , politics scandals

Old 5th August 2021, 06:25 AM   #241
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Billy Bush got fired for having a guy brag about sexually assaulting women to him. Really pretty much anything can get you fired in the media.
That's true. Billy's problem though he laughed on television about it. It made it sound that this was okay.
Old 5th August 2021, 06:33 AM   #242
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
That is it. Just having the brother of a major political figure as the host of a news show is just a bad look as far as creditibility goes even if the host does recuse himself.
Amazed people don't get this. I am convinced that Chris Cumeo is a liberal commentor has a lot to do with this.

Chris is using the "we are going to concentrate on Covid" line, but I doubt that changes much.
Oh c'mon. I certainly would take CNN's reporting on the Governor with a grain of salt. But beyond that, i could care less.
Old 5th August 2021, 06:44 AM   #243
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Cuomo had to know this was coming for months and this weird slide show of him kissing people is the best he could come up with as a PR defense.

https://twitter.com/hjessy_/status/1422606964689887237

Delightfully cursed content.
Old 5th August 2021, 07:00 AM   #244
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

Alexandra Brodsky's view

Self-described civil rights lawyer Alexandra Brodsky wrote an Op-Ed for the NYT.

"But now Mr. Cuomo has received the process that was his due: Independent lawyers deputized by the state attorney general’s office conducted a full investigation while Mr. Cuomo remained in office."

What? An investigation is not in an of itself due process.

"Whether accused at work, at school or in a courtroom, all people should be provided the basics of due process: notice of the allegation; a chance to tell their side of the story; judgment by impartial decision makers. Fair investigations help everyone, victims and the accused alike."

Conspicuously lacking in this list is an opportunity to cross-examine a witness. Nor is that omission wholly surprising, given Ms. Brodsky's role in founding the organization Know Your IX, which is concerned with how colleges and universities handle allegations of sexual improprieties. If she does not understand this*, she must be a terrible lawyer. Governor Cuomo may or may not have done what was alleged, but Ms. Brodsky is near the bottom of the list of people whose opinion should be consulted.
*the importance of cross-examination

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 5th August 2021 at 07:31 AM. Reason: added asterisks and comment
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 07:03 AM   #245
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Self-described civil rights lawyer Alexandra Brodsky wrote an Op-Ed for the NYT.

"But now Mr. Cuomo has received the process that was his due: Independent lawyers deputized by the state attorney generalís office conducted a full investigation while Mr. Cuomo remained in office."

What? An investigation is not in an of itself due process.

"Whether accused at work, at school or in a courtroom, all people should be provided the basics of due process: notice of the allegation; a chance to tell their side of the story; judgment by impartial decision makers. Fair investigations help everyone, victims and the accused alike."

Conspicuously lacking in this list is an opportunity to cross-examine a witness. Nor is that omission wholly surprising, given Ms. Brodsky's role in founding the organization Know Your IX, which is concerned with how colleges and universities handle allegations of sexual improprieties. If she does not understand this, she must be a terrible lawyer. Governor Cuomo may or may not have done what was alleged, but Ms. Brodsky is near the bottom of the list of people whose opinion should be consulted.
Assuming he doesn't resign in disgrace, he seems on track to get the formal, extremely public due process that comes with impeachment.

Resigning and not publicly wallowing in the sordid details of his disgusting behavior is probably the right play to mitigate the damages, but opinions differ.
Old 5th August 2021, 07:21 AM   #246
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Assuming he doesn't resign in disgrace, he seems on track to get the formal, extremely public due process that comes with impeachment.

Resigning and not publicly wallowing in the sordid details of his disgusting behavior is probably the right play to mitigate the damages, but opinions differ.
I wouldn't call impeachment due process but a political act.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 08:13 AM   #247
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
It's both.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 08:15 AM   #248
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
It's both.
How do you define due process?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 08:32 AM   #249
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

With a dictionary.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 08:35 AM   #250
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
With a dictionary.
good luck trying to find one that suggests an impeachment is due process.
Old 5th August 2021, 08:35 AM   #251
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Impeachment is the due process specified by law to remove a governor. It's axiomatically due process in this circumstance.
Old 5th August 2021, 08:38 AM   #252
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Impeachment is the due process specified by law to remove a governor. It's axiomatically due process in this circumstance.
That is like saying the King is specified by law and therefore his executions by fiat are due process.
Old 5th August 2021, 08:57 AM   #253
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

That is like saying the King is specified by law and therefore his executions by fiat are due process.
It is. Lots of reasons to complain about such a system, but "due process" isn't one. If all the rules are followed before the King has you executed via an anti-aircraft gun, that's all the process you're due in such a system.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 5th August 2021 at 08:58 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 09:07 AM   #254
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

impeachment followed by a trial of sorts

Politico Just from skimming this, I would say that removal from office would require two things. Impeachment from the state house, followed by an affirmation by the "High Court of Impeachment," consisting of state senators and members of the the state's Court of Appeals, minus the majority leader of the senate.

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 5th August 2021 at 09:31 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 09:46 AM   #255
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Politico Just from skimming this, I would say that removal from office would require two things. Impeachment from the state house, followed by an affirmation by the "High Court of Impeachment," consisting of state senators and members of the the state's Court of Appeals, minus the majority leader of the senate.
Sounds similar to the federal process: Impeachment (the equivalent of indictment) by the House, then conviction or acquittal by the Senate.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 09:53 AM   #256
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

The thing others have pointed out is that impeachment will open up his entire administration, particularly including his lying about covid deaths in nursing homes, to examination. Resigning "for the good of the State" might be his best move.
https://jacobinmag.com/2021/08/andre...ual-harassment
https://gothamist.com/news/brief-his...-controversies
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 11:00 AM   #257
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Here's the change.org petition to rename the "Cuomo" bridge... http://chng.it/tkzdyfHKfg. It's been around for years but maybe will get some new attention.
Old 5th August 2021, 12:03 PM   #258
Belz...
Fiend God

Yeah those Change.com petitions sure do lead to actual change!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 01:22 PM   #259
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah those Change.com petitions sure do lead to actual change!
If you've ever signed one, they change the amount of spam you receive. So that's ... something?

As a lark I signed one years ago about moving the Superbowl to Saturday. With over 100,000 signatures (iirc) you can certainly tell how effective that one was!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 02:01 PM   #260
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

good luck trying to find one that suggests an impeachment is due process.
It is a procedure provided by law for the specific purpose of removing an unfit official from office. What are you on about?
Old 5th August 2021, 03:39 PM   #261
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eeyore1954 View Post
I don't think this type of behavior would have disqualified many candidates of either party until a few years ago.
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Do you think it would disqualify a Republican NOW? Doesn't seem to matter to them one iota.
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This is all about the GOP, of course.

It's about a party that elected a man who, before the election, was revealed as thinking he had the right to "grab *****" and sexually assault/harass women because he was 'a celebrity'. It's about a party that elected a man knowing that TWENTY-SIX women had accused him of sexual misconduct, including rape. It's about a party that STILL supports him and is virtually under his control. So, yeah, this is about the GOP.
Let me explain this to you in simple terms:

1. Eeyore suggested this type of behavior would disqualify any candidate today of either party (not just Cuomo).

2. I pointed out that the election of Trump, a self-confessed "***** grabber" who admitted to also kissing women against their will, etc and had been accused of rape and other sexual assault by 26 women showed that it did NOT disqualify him as a candidate or from being elected and that the GOP still supports him today. Those are facts whether you like it or not.
It was a direct negation of his assertion highlighted above.

So, the actions of Cuomo are about the GOP? Thanks for the clarification...I think.
And here your trolling is revealed. I never said "Cuomo's actions" at all. I never mentioned him. My post was clearly about "this type of behavior". But you continue to lie about this as if I did.

The Dems, including Biden, are calling for Cuomo to resign. The GOP elected a self-confessed serial assaulter and still support him. If you can't see the difference, then you either have a reading comprehension problem or are being intentionally obtuse or.... .
The only thing that could be worse would be if he repeatedly had an intern pleasure him in the oval office, right? You know, something that was actually proven, once.

And imagine if that person was still doing tours, to adoring crowds, and such? And, heck, maybe their adoring wife might even run for President.

Pass me a cigar, while I ponder this.
That happened AFTER he was elected, not before. Try comparing apples to apples and not apples to oranges and you might have a point. Otherwise, stop digging your hole deeper.

ETA: And I didn't see anyone defending what he did, including Dems. His impeachment was for perjury, not the blow jobs. Which by the way, were consensual unlike what Trump did. And not a crime.
Here is where your trolling becomes even more obvious. You can't deny what I said is true so you resort to a whataboutism that doesn't even compare since the original topic was about "this type of behavior disqualifying a candidate"which Clinton was not when the Lewinsky affair occurred.

Who said that? Trump seems pretty deplorable in regards to these matters, imo.

But, no different from any other person who engages in any such things...and they aren't all GOP members. Obviously.
No one said they were all GOP members so stop moving the goal post.
But, in this case, it is about the GOP, right?

Got it.
Once again you twist what was said with complete disregard to the context because you can't admit you were wrong.

I think you are missing the context. As usual, someone had to make this whole Cuomo thing somehow about the GOP. I was pointing out the difference between what has been accused vs what has been proven, when it comes to Trump, and say, Clinton.

At the end of the day, this is a Cuomo issue...not a GOP issue.

Also..."she came on to him". Classic, lol.
And you're still pushing the 'Cuomo vs GOP' lie when my original comment was about "this type of behavior disqualifying a candidate" today and not Cuomo specifically.

As far as what's been 'proven when it comes to Trump, and say, Clinton" you need reminding that what Trump said is on video tape and we've all heard it, including you. Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 03:41 PM   #262
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
If you've ever signed one, they change the amount of spam you receive. So that's ... something?

I really hate this new wareyin guy who agrees with me regularily.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 03:44 PM   #263
Warp12
Graduate Poster

<snip>
Just remember, this Cuomo thing is all about the GOP. Like everything bad.
Old 5th August 2021, 04:01 PM   #264
wareyin
Philosopher

I really hate this new wareyin guy who agrees with me regularily.
Well, I really like the guy, so there! How dare you hate such a great guy?!? Why, your mother smells of hamsters and your father is an elderberry!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 04:04 PM   #265
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I really like the guy, so there! How dare you hate such a great guy?!? Why, your mother smells of hamsters and your father is an elderberry!
But do you fart in his general direction?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2021, 04:09 PM   #266
Belz...
Fiend God

Why, your mother smells of hamsters and your father is an elderberry!
That's not quite the quote, but I'll take it.

Old 5th August 2021, 04:22 PM   #267
wareyin
Philosopher

That's not quite the quote,
Look, it was good enough, why do we always have to argue over the basics here?

but I'll take it.
Curse you! <Shakes fist futilely>
Old 5th August 2021, 04:23 PM   #268
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
But do you fart in his general direction?
No, he farts in mine harrumph
Old 6th August 2021, 03:32 AM   #269
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It is a procedure provided by law for the specific purpose of removing an unfit official from office. What are you on about?
Do you also think monarch fiat is due process because that is the law in true monarchies?
Old 6th August 2021, 04:30 AM   #270
Belz...
Fiend God

Look, it was good enough, why do we always have to argue over the basics here?
Hey, er.... shut up!!

No, he farts in mine harrumph
You watch your ass!

Old 6th August 2021, 08:13 AM   #271
Parsman
Muse

Do you also think monarch fiat is due process because that is the law in true monarchies?
As has already been pointed out to you, if that is the law in that monarchy, yes it is due process under the law in that country. It might not be what we would want the law or the due process to be, but until the law is changed in that country then yes it is due process there, your nit-picking not withstanding.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 09:20 AM   #272
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Just remember, this Cuomo thing is all about the GOP. Like everything bad.
Just remember, It's only bad when the Democrats do it. If a Republican does it, That's A-ok!

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 06:54 AM   #273
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Coumo scandal:

Dems: GET HIM OUT!
Repubs: GET HIM OUT!

Trump sexual assault:
Dems: GET HIM OUT!
Repubs: innocent locker room talk. LOL.
Democrats have always been better at knowing when to abandon the wounded.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 07:18 AM   #274
Wolrab
Illuminator

As far as I know, Trump was accused when he was a billionaire playboy and private citizen, not as a public servant.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 07:25 AM   #275
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

So that news conference with his legal team, those were, like, actual lawyers right? You know, people who know how to practice law? They said they were but they didn't seem to be doing much to defend their client. That was a dumpster fire. Victim blaming, in 2021? Seriously?
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 11:14 AM   #276
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
#renamethebridge
I can’t be the only one who just kept calling the bridge at that location the Tappan Zee.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 7th August 2021 at 11:30 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 11:21 AM   #277
Caroline13
Suspended

And isn't that Italian Gangster the one who got 1000's of deaths in nursing homes...this has been thrown under the rug for the touchy feely scandal.

Last edited by Caroline13; 7th August 2021 at 11:24 AM.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 11:25 AM   #278
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
As has already been pointed out to you, if that is the law in that monarchy, yes it is due process under the law in that country. It might not be what we would want the law or the due process to be, but until the law is changed in that country then yes it is due process there, your nit-picking not withstanding.
I'm just leaving it as this because I'm happy with the unequivocal position you are taking.
Old 7th August 2021, 11:25 AM   #279
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
As far as I know, Trump was accused when he was a billionaire playboy and private citizen, not as a public servant.
Trump has never been a 'public servant'. He's never served anyone but himself.
Calling him a 'public servant' is like saying Harlan Sanders was a "colonel": in name only.

He was still a candidate, not elected, when all these women and the "***** grabber" tape publicly came out.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 11:43 AM   #280
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I canít be the only one who calls it the Tappan Zee regardless.
Just because they name a bridge after a politician doesn't mean it will go by that name.

The Evergreen Point floating bridge that crosses Lake Washington is officially named the Albert D. Rosellini after a former Washington State Governor.

The Mercer Island floating bridge is officially named the Lacey V. Murrow bridge who was the head of the Washington State DOT.

The Aurora Bridge in Seattle is officially named the the George Washington Bridge

All are major thoroughfares in and around Seattle. In 50 years I've never heard any of them referred to by their "official" names.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics