IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew Cuomo , New York politics , politics scandals

Old 7th August 2021, 11:45 AM   #281
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
That is like saying the King is specified by law and therefore his executions by fiat are due process.
This is a good point, but the due process afforded here is not going to rise to a criminal trial because Cuomo's freedom isn't on the line. He's a public servant. What's at stake is the amount of time he has in the governor's mansion. A political trial for a political office.
Diablo: You're a lousy bigot. Apologise and withdraw that remark.
Cain: Nah.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 11:48 AM   #282
Caroline13
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Just remember, It's only bad when the Democrats do it. If a Republican does it, That's A-ok!
No it's NOT Ok, where are you coming from, more of your so called sick mind. Many have paid for their wrong doings one way or another and they can handle them and their lives or not. Trump has paid dearly in his PRIVATE LIFE for all this escapades ...

The more money one has the more one can get away with so much. Those who are with little money, tow the line more carefully, they can't afford to be naughty, And screw around on their mates, family.

Last edited by Caroline13; 7th August 2021 at 11:52 AM.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 12:17 PM   #283
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
No it's NOT Ok, where are you coming from, more of your so called sick mind. Many have paid for their wrong doings one way or another and they can handle them and their lives or not. Trump has paid dearly in his PRIVATE LIFE for all this escapades ...

The more money one has the more one can get away with so much. Those who are with little money, tow the line more carefully, they can't afford to be naughty, And screw around on their mates, family.
How?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 12:31 PM   #284
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
How?
Trump rarely paid for anything in his life. Others paid. He just took and took and took.
Old 7th August 2021, 01:20 PM   #285
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Just because they name a bridge after a politician doesn't mean it will go by that name.

The Evergreen Point floating bridge that crosses Lake Washington is officially named the Albert D. Rosellini after a former Washington State Governor.

The Mercer Island floating bridge is officially named the Lacey V. Murrow bridge who was the head of the Washington State DOT.

The Aurora Bridge in Seattle is officially named the the George Washington Bridge

All are major thoroughfares in and around Seattle. In 50 years I've never heard any of them referred to by their "official" names.

I call it the Tappan Zee too. But all the highway signs (except one, that I saw) have the full "Governor Mario M. etc." spelled out. And the traffic reports also called it the Cuomo Bridge.

Local names that don't match what's on signs, maps, traffic reports, etc. can be confusing. New Yorkers wouldn't want the out of towners whom they give directions to to end up confused and lost, would they?
Old 7th August 2021, 01:47 PM   #286
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I call it the Tappan Zee too. But all the highway signs (except one, that I saw) have the full "Governor Mario M. etc." spelled out. And the traffic reports also called it the Cuomo Bridge.

Local names that don't match what's on signs, maps, traffic reports, etc. can be confusing. New Yorkers wouldn't want the out of towners whom they give directions to to end up confused and lost, would they?
It's the opposite here. You wouldn't know the official name of all these bridges in Washington State except that they are on plaques near the entrances. The highway signs over head always list the town on the other side of bridges and the traffic reports on the radio always go by either the well known unofficial names which refer to a geographical location or the highway number.
Old 8th August 2021, 01:02 PM   #287
Wolrab
Illuminator

Trump has never been a 'public servant'. He's never served anyone but himself.
Calling him a 'public servant' is like saying Harlan Sanders was a "colonel": in name only.

He was still a candidate, not elected, when all these women and the "***** grabber" tape publicly came out.
Exactly. He was a private citizen. Bad, but being a sitting whatever is orders of magnitudes worse.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2021, 01:08 PM   #288
Caroline13
Suspended

Trump rarely paid for anything in his life. Others paid. He just took and took and took.
Oh come on, he has paid his wives and his children from those wives. What else in his life, I never followed him much anyway.

And he used other's money and that's what most smart business people do, smart developers etc.

Last edited by Caroline13; 8th August 2021 at 01:24 PM.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2021, 01:16 PM   #289
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Exactly. He was a private citizen. Bad, but being a sitting whatever is orders of magnitudes worse.
I agree that doing it while in office is worse. But my point is, and has been, that the GOP overwhelmingly still voted to put him into office knowing that he was a serial sexual harasser and assaulter.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2021, 01:17 PM   #290
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm still waiting to know how 'Trump has paid dearly in his PRIVATE LIFE for all this escapades."
Old 8th August 2021, 01:27 PM   #291
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Oh come on, he has paid his wives and his children from those wives. What else in his life, I never followed him much anyway.
He took from employees. He stiffed bus boys, waiters, bartenders, and maids. He took from vendors and contractors in multiple ways. He took from banks and creditors. He took from people thinking they were donating to worthy causes that never got to those worthy causes. He took from the city of New York, the states of New Jersey, New York, Florida and Illinois. He took from Scotland, the UAE and others. He took from students. He took from his own charities. His supporters. He took from his own neice. The list is long.

Last edited by acbytesla; 8th August 2021 at 01:46 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2021, 01:31 PM   #292
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm still waiting to know how 'Trump has paid dearly in his PRIVATE LIFE for all this escapades."
Me too. Trump NEVER paid DEARLY for a damn thing. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
Old 8th August 2021, 01:31 PM   #293
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He took from employees. He stiffed bus boys, waiters, bartenders, and maids. He took from vendors and contractors in multiple ways. He took from banks and creditors. He took from people thinking they were donating to worthy causes that never got to those worthy causes. He took from the city of New York, the states of New Jersey and New York, Florida and Illinois. He took from Scotland, the UAE and others. He took from students. He took from his own charities. His supporters. He took from his own neice. The list is long.
But, apparently, the poor man has suffered in his private life. Somehow.
Old 8th August 2021, 01:49 PM   #294
dirtywick
Illuminator

And he used other's money and that's what most smart business people do, smart developers etc.
You'd think admitting you know nothing about his life would stop you from commenting on it, but here we are.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2021, 03:56 PM   #295
mgidm86
Philosopher

You'd think knowing the person you are being trolled by is a troll would stop one from engaging.
Old 8th August 2021, 04:24 PM   #296
kevbo
Thinker

Me too. Trump NEVER paid DEARLY for a damn thing. Born with a silver spoon in his mouth.
Me three. Trump has been enabled, covered for, and protected his entire life. Paying out huge settlements for divorce, child support, and indiscretions when you are wealthy is not the same as public ridicule, shaming, criminal charges for fraud and other crimes that usually amount to paying dearly in convictions and fines.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2021, 04:28 PM   #297
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

nvm

Asked and unanswered.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 04:42 PM   #298
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I was kind of amused when I saw a headline that said Cuomo was in a fighting mood. Fight with what? He has no allies. He's radioactive in his own party. His aides are leaving him. He has no votes in the Assembly. The guy just needs to apologize and walk away.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 06:11 PM   #299
Wolrab
Illuminator

Be needs to go to jail. He has squashed several investigations into his corruption.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th August 2021, 07:00 PM   #300
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Be needs to go to jail. He has squashed several investigations into his corruption.
I don't think the AG has enough yet to meet the beyond reasonable doubt standard for the unwanted touching charge. I'm starting to think there's a lot of there, there on the using his staff to work on his book and the bridge issue. He should be nervous about the district attorneys pulling on those threads.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 09:00 AM   #301
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Cuomo and his lawyer are saying he didn't do anything wrong, and all the allegations are either false or innocent gestures wrongly interpreted.
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-ne...cfd646d7a8cf06
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 09:07 AM   #302
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Cuomo just resigned, effective in two weeks.

Last edited by Bob001; 10th August 2021 at 09:09 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 09:18 AM   #303
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Cuomo just resigned, effective in two weeks.
Why two weeks?
Old 10th August 2021, 09:21 AM   #304
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Why two weeks?
Based on shredding for 24 hours a day, I would guess?
Old 10th August 2021, 09:23 AM   #305
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm halfway tempted to think he's hoping two weeks is long enough for another crisis of the moment to happen and distract the public from him.

But this a legal matter now, not just a PR crisis and those batteries don't run if you stall long enough.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 10:07 AM   #306
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's a good thing that he resigned rather than putting the state through an impeachment. Too bad someone else didn't do the same, but then again, Cuomo didn't have his party standing behind and lying for him claiming he didn't do anything wrong.
Old 10th August 2021, 10:39 AM   #307
Jungle Jim
Graduate Poster

Why two weeks?
Two weeks notice is a professional courtesy when resigning from a job.
Jungle Jim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 10:42 AM   #308
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

If he really wanted to keep the job, he could have given a two weeks notice of changing to the Republican party.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 10:47 AM   #309
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Two weeks notice is a professional courtesy when resigning from a job.
It's doubtful the notice is necessary. Although he may be doing it for his staff. The incoming Governor will have his/her own staff.

Does the Lt Governor take his place in NY?
Old 10th August 2021, 10:52 AM   #310
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

It's doubtful the notice is necessary. Although he may be doing it for his staff. The incoming Governor will have his/her own staff.

It might not be legally necessary, but as a three-term governor, I suspect there are a lot of loose ends to tie up.

Yes.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...hul/ar-AAMUD1y
Old 10th August 2021, 10:53 AM   #311
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul will take the office in 14 days, effective Governor Cuomo's resignation taking effect.

I don't know if there will be a special election or if she's just serve out his term. (His political term that is.)

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 10:59 AM   #312
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul will take the office in 14 days, effective Governor Cuomo's resignation taking effect.

I don't know if there will be a special election or if she's just serve out his term. (His political term that is.)
She completes his term and can run for re-election in 2022 on her own.
https://www.newsweek.com/who-kathy-h...nation-1616683
Old 10th August 2021, 11:10 AM   #313
Belz...
Fiend God

Why two weeks?
Everything's in two weeks now.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 11:47 AM   #314
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder what happened to make him go "I will fight to the end" to Resignation in just a few hours. I got a feeling we might be in for some more bombshells about Cuomo.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 11:49 AM   #315
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And isn't that Italian Gangster the one who got 1000's of deaths in nursing homes...this has been thrown under the rug for the touchy feely scandal.
So every prominent Italian is in the Mafia. Nice.Bigotry noted.
Cuomo is scum, but I have not seen any proof he is involved with La COstra Nostra.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 11:50 AM   #316
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I wonder what happened to make him go "I will fight to the end" to Resignation in just a few hours.
Isn't that standard for people who lie as a matter of course?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th August 2021, 11:56 AM   #317
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Isn't that standard for people who lie as a matter of course?
Yeah, but still, I suspect he found out that more damaging stuff is on it's way.........
I thought he would quit, but then after reading about him I though he might just fight to the end.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th August 2021, 11:58 AM   #318
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I admit I had never heard of Future Governor Hochul until now, being on the opposite end of the country (but then how many Lt.Governors has anybody outside their state heard of until they become governor?)

Despite the name, she is Like Biden, an Irish Catholic on both sides. Damn it, those Micks are taking over the country......

Robert Heinlein.
Old 10th August 2021, 11:58 AM   #319
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder what happened to make him go "I will fight to the end" to Resignation in just a few hours. I got a feeling we might be in for some more bombshells about Cuomo.
There are reports that other women are contacting the AG. The real issue is that he was certain to be impeached and suspended from office, and the resulting trial and investigation would go on for months, even if he wasn't ultimately removed. He obviously decided that's not how he wanted to spend the rest of the year or more.
Old 10th August 2021, 12:05 PM   #320
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

So every prominent Italian is in the Mafia. Nice.Bigotry noted.
Cuomo is scum, but I have not seen any proof he is involved with La COstra Cosa Nostra.
FTFY. It means "Our thing".

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics