IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Matt Gaetz , newsmax

Old 27th July 2021, 06:07 PM   #921
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It's not that often that I've seen protesters get right in the vicinity with the speakers and cause disruption. I do know that most times protesters are expected and cordoned off, or sometimes even have a lawful designated area (I'm thinking the Westboro Baptist Church goons.)

This will be opening the floodgates for much more minor events and we'll probably be seeing this sort of thing much more often, from both sides.
Shows how inexperienced MTG and Gaetz are as legislators. Same thing happened when the flag clothed guy got close enough to put his arm around Gaetz.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 27th July 2021 at 06:09 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th July 2021, 03:40 AM   #922
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Mod WarningPlease keep to the topic of the thread. If you wish to split hairs about definitions of words, please do so in an appropriate thread, and avoid attacking one another.

Several posts split to AAH.
Responding to this mod box in thread will be off topic Posted By:zooterkin
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 02:35 PM   #923
carlitos
"más divertido"

Gaetz' wingman used his office to improperly access confidential records on more than 700 people.

I guess he couldn't leave Britney alone.

Quote:
ORLANDO, Fla. — During his time as Seminole County’s tax collector, Joel Greenberg used a confidential database to look up the personal information of fellow elected officials, political rivals, county employees, family members and even celebrities — including Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake — newly released records show.

More commonly referred to as DAVID, access to the database system Greenberg used is mostly limited to criminal justice and law enforcement officials, including police officers and deputy sheriffs while on patrol. It allows users to quickly look up a person’s information, such as Social Security number, birth date, addresses, signatures, and medical and disability information.

In Greenberg’s plea deal, he admitted to using the system to “investigate his sexual partners,” including the 17-year-old girl who is the victim in the sex trafficking count. He claimed that he looked the girl up through DAVID in September 2017 “because he had reason to believe” she was underage.

carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th August 2021, 08:12 PM   #924
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Wonder how many of them might have been at Gaetz's request...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 11:55 AM   #925
plague311
Great minds think...

I consider Business Insider a fairly reliable source. They came out with this report today and it links and Gaetz to some pretty sketchy stuff. The highlights:

Quote:
The text messages appear to show Greenberg asking the woman if she was of legal age and whether she would take drugs, ABC reported. He then asked whether she'd like to meet up with him and Gaetz, and he added, "And how much of an allowance will you be requiring ," the report said.

The woman replied that she had a friend who introduced her to the website that she could bring. She also said that she "usually" requires "$400 per meet," the report said.
There wouldn't be a party without the drugs!

Quote:
He then asked her if she had ever tried MDMA.
The ladies LOVE Gaetz:

Quote:
ABC News reported that Greenberg subsequently sent the woman a photo of Gaetz taking a selfie with Pea Ridge Elementary School students in 2017. He wrote, "My friend." The woman is said to have replied, "Oooh my friend thinks he's really cute!"
The man is such a dick whistle.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 12:07 PM   #926
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
The ladies LOVE Gaetz:

ABC News reported that Greenberg subsequently sent the woman a photo of Gaetz taking a selfie with Pea Ridge Elementary School students
Little did she know that Gaetz was at the school trying to meet dates.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 12:12 PM   #927
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I consider Business Insider a fairly reliable source. They came out with this report today and it links and Gaetz to some pretty sketchy stuff. The highlights:

There wouldn't be a party without the drugs!

The ladies LOVE Gaetz:

The man is such a dick whistle.

The party of Family Values!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 12:48 PM   #928
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Little did she know that Gaetz was at the school trying to meet dates.
"See? He's already hanging around with people your age, so you guys will have something to talk about!"

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 01:35 PM   #929
carlitos
"más divertido"

It's almost like the QAnon stuff about the liberal elites trafficking underage people for sex is a case of psychological projection?

Originally Posted by The Daily Beast
Anton Lazzaro, a young Republican strategist and former congressional campaign manager in Minnesota, was arrested on underage sex trafficking charges Thursday morning, according to federal law enforcement.

Lazzaro, an occasional Fox News guest who flaunted his wealthy lifestyle on social media, was indicted on five counts of sex trafficking of a minor, one count of attempting to do so, and three counts of obstruction of justice. The FBI confirmed its agents had arrested Lazzaro in Minneapolis this morning. And the indictment was unsealed in federal court Thursday afternoon during his initial appearance in federal court in St. Paul, Minnesota, which took place over a video conference.

His personal website shows [Lazzaro] alongside Trump, Vice President Mike Pence, and multiple television appearances on Fox News. On social media, Lazzaro shows himself sitting on private jets, waving stacks of cash, and driving shirtless in his red Ferrari.
Shirtless in your red Ferrari is no way to go through life, son.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 01:52 PM   #930
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

It's almost like the QAnon stuff about the liberal elites trafficking underage people for sex is a case of psychological projection?

The real crime is that he didn't buy an American car!

Child molesters should have the good sense to buy domestic.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 01:57 PM   #931
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!

Sweat stains on the leather do nothing whatsoever for the resale value.
Old 12th August 2021, 03:18 PM   #932
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Why, it's almost as if rich men think they're entitled to sexually harass/assault women or sleep with underaged girls!

Is he planning on running for a Republican political seat? He's a shoe in!

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th August 2021 at 03:20 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 05:45 PM   #933
slyjoe
Master Poster

And the noose tightens:

Quote:
A Republican strategist was arrested Thursday on several counts of sex trafficking, conspiracy, and obstruction of justice.

The Daily Beast first reported the news, and FBI confirmed Lazzaro's arrest in Minneapolis on Thursday morning. A ten-count indictment against him was unsealed in federal court in the afternoon.

According to the indictment, Lazzaro has been charged with one count of conspiracy to commit sex trafficking of minors, five counts of sex trafficking of minors, one count of attempted sex trafficking of a minor, and three counts of obstruction of justice.
This is the "Big Tent Republicans" guy, according to him.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 06:21 PM   #934
Belz...
Fiend God

The GOP is basically a criminal organisation at this point.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 06:24 PM   #935
Belz...
Fiend God

The ladies LOVE Gaetz:
I call BS. There's no way anyone would find that roadkill-faced baboon attractive.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 06:25 PM   #936
Belz...
Fiend God

Not projection: distraction and misdirection.

Old 12th August 2021, 08:11 PM   #937
carlitos
"más divertido"

Matt Gaetz reported to be leaving the House

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Why, it's almost as if rich men think they're entitled to sexually harass/assault women or sleep with underaged girls!

Fair points. Plenty of lecherous rich white guy dems Throughout history.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:17 PM   #938
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Ah, the good old whataboutism. Even if the creep ratio was the same between lerft and right pols--and I'll bet it's not--it's the hypocritical chest thumping by these disingenuous poseurs as being of the "Party of family values." With the GQP I see ironclad affirmation of the old saw about "he who crows loudest." Or, "Methinks he doth protest too much."
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 01:10 AM   #939
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

delete

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th August 2021 at 01:12 AM.
Old 13th August 2021, 01:22 AM   #940
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Is he planning on running for a Republican political seat? He's a shoe in!
Did you see me supporting Cuomo? No. I said he needed to resign.

Maybe if the Republicans didn't elect a man to the presidency who was a self-admitted "***** grabber", bragged about hitting on a married woman, and claimed he didn't have to wait for permission to kiss a woman because he was a celebrity, and was accused by 26 women of rape to groping to being pushed up against a wall and kissed while his wife was upstairs with their newborn..then you might have a leg to stand on. Can you name a Democrat who has said such things that were revealed before an election and then been elected? So don't give me this whatabout crap.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:50 PM   #941
carlitos
"más divertido"

Matt Gaetz reported to be leaving the House

Wow. I was agreeing with you about the sense of entitlement among some rich powerful (mostly white)guys. I was thinking of Clinton, Ted Kennedy and maybe Trump, just off the top of my head.

I was not trying to whatabout today’s dems or whatever.
Old 14th August 2021, 12:59 AM   #942
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. I was agreeing with you about the sense of entitlement among some rich powerful (mostly white)guys. I was thinking of Clinton, Ted Kennedy and maybe Trump, just off the top of my head.

I was not trying to whatabout today’s dems or whatever.
Sorry if I misread your intentions. But there's so much whataboutism in these threads it's easy to do, especially when you added in "dems".
Old 30th August 2021, 08:55 AM   #943
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Yet another.... questionable... action by Matt "Is she legal yet? Don't matter" Gaetz...

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) appears to have committed at least one much smaller but more straightforward federal violation: failure to disclose how much money he made from a book he published last September....Brett Kappel, an attorney who specializes in government compliance...“Filing an incomplete financial disclosure report is a violation of both the Ethics in Government Act and the House rules,” Kappel said. “The fact that Rep. Gaetz quickly filed an amended report, however, likely means he will suffer no consequences.”

Remember folks... the Republicans are the "Law and Order" party.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 30th August 2021, 09:17 AM   #944
plague311
Great minds think...

Yet another.... questionable... action by Matt "Is she legal yet? Don't matter" Gaetz...

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) appears to have committed at least one much smaller but more straightforward federal violation: failure to disclose how much money he made from a book he published last September....Brett Kappel, an attorney who specializes in government compliance...“Filing an incomplete financial disclosure report is a violation of both the Ethics in Government Act and the House rules,” Kappel said. “The fact that Rep. Gaetz quickly filed an amended report, however, likely means he will suffer no consequences.”

Yeah, they never get in trouble for stuff like that. Look at Rand Paul, and others, when it comes to stocks. Dem or Repub, they seem to skate without an issue.

Old 3rd September 2021, 07:05 PM   #945
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Only applies to the lesser races!
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:19 PM   #946
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Only applies to the lesser races!
Also, I don't think evading taxes counts. Isn't it the American's patriotic duty to do so?
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:32 PM   #947
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Also, I don't think evading taxes counts. Isn't it the American's patriotic duty to do so?
Only little people pay taxes.
Old 21st September 2021, 08:00 AM   #948
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

And the Gaetz issues keep coming...

On the day Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial began in the Senate, the campaign for embattled Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL)...made by far its largest ever political contribution: $100,000 to a mysterious nonprofit created to defend the then-president.... the nonprofit appears to have done nothing now for more than a year. And even odder is the Gaetz campaign’s own explanation—which experts say raises questions of legality...The group, “Right Direction America,” is a nonprofit launched in December 2019...A campaign spokesperson told The Daily Beast that the organization supports former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who...had announced her 2022 campaign for governor of Arkansas....But there’s no public record of RDA supporting Sanders...Further complicating the ...explanation that RDA supports Sanders, the group’s nonprofit status bars it from participating primarily in political activity.

So, a huge donation to a group that supposedly did nothing with the money, to help a candidate who wasn't even supported by the group (but if they did support her, it might have been illegal).

We are Groot - Groot
Old 21st September 2021, 08:02 AM   #949
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

And the Gaetz issues keep coming...
.....and yet here we are, nearly six months later, and there's no indication that Matt Gaetz will be leaving the House any time soon.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2021, 11:42 AM   #950
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
.....and yet here we are, nearly six months later, and there's no indication that Matt Gaetz will be leaving the House any time soon.
That depends on what the investigation re sex trafficking of a minor comes up with. He may be leaving the House for the Big House.
Old 21st September 2021, 11:44 AM   #951
plague311
Great minds think...

As has been mentioned before, if you swing for the king you better not miss.

Gaetz isn't exactly "a king" but you are going to want an airtight case.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics