IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Andrew Giuliani , FBI investigations , Hunter Biden , rudy giuliani

Old 1st May 2021, 12:45 AM   #81
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently, the FBI had covert warrants for his iCloud and email accounts since February 2019.

https://news.yahoo.com/lawyer-feds-g...myabAzI5pRF5mz

That covers the time he was engaged (with Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman) in his attacks on Amb Yovanovich. Seems to me the Feds could have been watching Rudi and the rest of the Derp State Goon Squad committing crimes in real time. It also probably goes some way to understanding how the Feds knew to nab Lev and Igor at the Airport as they attempted to board an international flight back to the Ukraine!

Its worth noting that Parnas and Fruman have both been indicted for campaign finance violations, and at least Parnas is fully co-operating with the FBI.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 1st May 2021 at 12:48 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 04:59 AM   #82
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
"Smells like soup. Small hands." - Juno Powers
Actually it is Trump who has small hands and smells like soup. With undertones of Old Spice, industrial disinfectant, and baby powder.

Rudy smells like a dirty cedar chest filled with old mothballs containing expired mascara and a collection of toenail clippings.
Old 1st May 2021, 06:36 AM   #83
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You don't know that.
I think he could bet money on it and not lose a dime.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 07:56 AM   #84
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Remember that it wasn't just the unwashed masses that considered Giuliani a hero... he also won Time Magazine's Person of the Year award (which should go to the person who had the biggest impact, not the most popular). He won it over Osama Bin Laden (who arguably should have won the award)... with the excuse that "America's response was more important than the attacks themselves".
I agree. Rudy ran around New York acting like he was important. His actual effect on the events is nominal at best. He was reactive if anything.

Hitler also was Time's Man of the year. So was Stalin, Nikita Kruschev and the Ayatollah Khomeni.
Quote:
Person of the Year (called Man of the Year or Woman of the Year until 1999)[1] is an annual issue of the United States news magazine and website Time that features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".[2] Time also runs an annual reader's poll that has no effect on the selection, which is made solely by the magazine's editors.[3]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

Last edited by acbytesla; 1st May 2021 at 08:02 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 12:07 PM   #85
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I agree. Rudy ran around New York acting like he was important. His actual effect on the events is nominal at best. He was reactive if anything.

Hitler also was Time's Man of the year. So was Stalin, Nikita Kruschev and the Ayatollah Khomeni.
Be fair, donít lump Kruschev in with evil scum like Guliani. Nikita did reportedly remark that when he saw an H-bomb test that he was relieved. That no sane leader would ever deploy such a weapon.

So better than any republicans elected or appointed since at least regan.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 01:43 PM   #86
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I think he could bet money on it and not lose a dime.
Likely, but it still doesn't negate my point that he doesn't "know" that Rudy "didn't offer them the hard drives".

What really made me laugh was Rudy's description of how it supposedly played out. Could he have made it any more theatrical?

Quote:
"At the end of the search, when they had taken about, I would say, seven or eight electronic items of mine ... they weren't taking the three hard drives, which of course, are electronic devices. They just mimic the computer. I said, 'Well, don't you want these?' And they said, 'What are they? I said, 'Those are Hunter Biden's hard drives. And they said 'no, no, no."

"I said, 'Are you sure you don't want them? I mean the warrant required them to take it,'" he explained, and they said, 'No, no, no.' One last time, I said, 'Don't you think you should take it?' And they said, 'No.'"

Giuliani added that the agents were "completely content to rely on my word that these were Hunter Biden's hard drives. I mean, they could have been Donald Trump's. They could have been Vladimir Putin's. They could have been anybody's.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 01:51 PM   #87
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Of course Rudy could say anything he wanted, he knows the agents can't talk about the case or what they took.

As for Hunter's hard drives, sounds a lot like the Pillow Guy's evidence of election fraud: no explanation for why nothing has been forthcoming after all this time.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 02:10 PM   #88
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Of course Rudy could say anything he wanted, he knows the agents can't talk about the case or what they took.

As for Hunter's hard drives, sounds a lot like the Pillow Guy's evidence of election fraud: no explanation for why nothing has been forthcoming after all this time.
Of course he knows that, but my point still stands that no one can say they KNOW what was said. What we can say is that we doubt he said something, or can bet he didn't say, etc. I tend to be a stickler for details but I don't want to get too pedantic so 'nuff said as far as I'm concerned on that.

Rudy's still trying to push the HB story. He's trying to deflect from his actions to Hunter's alleged actions. "Don't look at what I did; look at what I say Hunter did!"
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2021, 08:57 AM   #89
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I know you know nothing about my politics if you think that.
ANybdoy who is not as far to the left as you are is a bigot ,a racist, and a fascist. Yeah, right.
You like stop and frisk that is pretty damn telling. That is the kind of thing leaders you like enact the targeted unconstitutional search and harassment of predominantly black people. That is basic stuff for thinking Rudy was a good mayor.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2021, 08:59 AM   #90
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Where the hell did that come from?
Supporting Giuliani and his love of stop and frisk.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2021, 09:01 AM   #91
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Giuliani also lied when he claimed a search warrant is only issued when it's believed the evidence is in imminent danger of being destroyed. As a lawyer, he knows that is untrue so he flat out lied.
As a laywer he doesn't know what standards things should be judged by as seen in his recent court appearances. So making assumptions about what he does or does not know are rather suspect.
Old 4th May 2021, 09:38 AM   #92
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Giuliani also lied when he claimed a search warrant is only issued when it's believed the evidence is in imminent danger of being destroyed. As a lawyer, he knows that is untrue so he flat out lied.
No one ever said he was a good lawyer
Old 4th May 2021, 10:24 AM   #93
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
As a laywer he doesn't know what standards things should be judged by as seen in his recent court appearances. So making assumptions about what he does or does not know are rather suspect.
Nah. As the former head of the SDNY, he knows damn good and well that what he was saying was a lie.

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
No one ever said he was a good lawyer
He used to be. It's sad to watch his slide from being a highly regarded mafia busting lawyer and national hero into being nothing more than an attention seeking hack and clown for Trump. The even sadder part is that it's all self-inflicted.
Old 4th May 2021, 11:05 AM   #94
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Yup, and any halfway competent politician would have been able to turn that into at least a serious bid for a presidential candidacy. Not Rudy, which kinda tells me that he is one of those people for whom to know him is to loathe him.
The same holds true for Trump. I have friends and relatives from the New York area who were baffled by the national popularity of Giuliani, and then again with Trump.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2021, 11:19 AM   #95
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Nah. As the former head of the SDNY, he knows damn good and well that what he was saying was a lie.
Well probably at one point, but then at one point he also knew what kinds of scrutiny various legal questions could be subjected to. He clearly no longer knows that as evidenced by his actions in Pennsylvania.

Quote:
He used to be. It's sad to watch his slide from being a highly regarded mafia busting lawyer and national hero into being nothing more than an attention seeking hack and clown for Trump. The even sadder part is that it's all self-inflicted.
I have heard it suggested that he was never really all that as a lawyer, but always was a political animal and it served him better than remarkable competence.
Old 4th May 2021, 06:49 PM   #96
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Well probably at one point, but then at one point he also knew what kinds of scrutiny various legal questions could be subjected to. He clearly no longer knows that as evidenced by his actions in Pennsylvania.

I have heard it suggested that he was never really all that as a lawyer, but always was a political animal and it served him better than remarkable competence.
He knows. Don't let his shenanigans fool you.
Old 4th May 2021, 07:01 PM   #97
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Here is an interesting dilemma for Stubby McBonespurs:

...advisers to the former New York City mayor have been pushing for former President Donald Trump to foot the mounting bill for Giuliani’s legal defense team...

The problem for Trump is that he's greedy, so he would want to avoid paying out any money that he doesn't have to. On the other hand, he also wants to keep Giuliani from flipping on Trump, so it might be in his best interest to help keep him out of jail.

(Note that in the past, Trump has tried to avoid paying Giuliani's fees as a lawyer while he was trying to overturn the election.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th May 2021, 08:01 PM   #98
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
The same holds true for Trump. I have friends and relatives from the New York area who were baffled by the national popularity of Giuliani, and then again with Trump.
I lived in Washington State at the time of 9/11 and the only thing I knew about Rudy was that he was the mayor of New York and he had been a US attorney who put away Mobsters. Stop and frisk and his other issues didn't really make the national news. From the rest of the country's view, he seemed to handle 9/11 okay but that was the sum total of what most of the world knew about him.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2021, 04:13 AM   #99
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

He knows. Don't let his shenanigans fool you.
How did his answer to what kind of scrutiny should the law be looked at with "the usual one" advance his cause in any way? Demonstrating that he has no idea what the levels of scrutiny are is to his advantage how?
Old 5th May 2021, 04:16 AM   #100
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I lived in Washington State at the time of 9/11 and the only thing I knew about Rudy was that he was the mayor of New York and he had been a US attorney who put away Mobsters. Stop and frisk and his other issues didn't really make the national news. From the rest of the country's view, he seemed to handle 9/11 okay but that was the sum total of what most of the world knew about him.
But is that enough to really throw support behind him? I mean after hurricane Sandy Chris Christy did a fairly decent job, so supporting him should ignore all his corruption as irrelevant to the only event they care about him?

Guiliani was always scum so was Christy. Republicans pick good criminals to be US attorneys I guess.
Old 5th May 2021, 05:46 AM   #101
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

He's like the living embodiment of Everyone's Grandpa. You used to like him, but then you watched him slowly transform into a Fox News Trump Zombie, and there was nothing you could do to stop it.
Old 5th May 2021, 06:02 AM   #102
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I lived in Washington State at the time of 9/11 and the only thing I knew about Rudy was that he was the mayor of New York and he had been a US attorney who put away Mobsters. Stop and frisk and his other issues didn't really make the national news.
What nation's news were you reading? I remember hearing about stop and frisk rather a lot. In fact, I think that's the first I heard of Giuliani at all.
Old 5th May 2021, 06:23 AM   #103
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
What nation's news were you reading? I remember hearing about stop and frisk rather a lot. In fact, I think that's the first I heard of Giuliani at all.
I can't be sure, but I probably heard about stop & grope on the Daily Show. I remember that being one of the New York based sources that was saying, " actually, this guy's a clown ".
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2021, 06:51 AM   #104
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
He's like the living embodiment of Everyone's Grandpa. You used to like him, but then you watched him slowly transform into a Fox News Trump Zombie, and there was nothing you could do to stop it.
Please he was there from the start, you only just started spending time with grandpa, as long as you only saw him once every couple of years you never noticed who he really was the whole time.
Old 5th May 2021, 09:51 AM   #105
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Actually it is Trump who has small hands and smells like soup. With undertones of Old Spice, industrial disinfectant, and baby powder.

Rudy smells like a dirty cedar chest filled with old mothballs containing expired mascara and a collection of toenail clippings.
Mascara surprises me. I would have guessed hair dye.
Old 5th May 2021, 10:10 AM   #106
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
Maybe he is thinking of Cascara.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2021, 11:30 AM   #107
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post

There were some stories that suggested the black dripping down the side of his head was mascara used to color portions of his hair rather than actual hair dye, which was why it dripped.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2021, 11:33 AM   #108
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Here is an interesting dilemma for Stubby McBonespurs:

...advisers to the former New York City mayor have been pushing for former President Donald Trump to foot the mounting bill for Giulianiís legal defense team...

The problem for Trump is that he's greedy, so he would want to avoid paying out any money that he doesn't have to. On the other hand, he also wants to keep Giuliani from flipping on Trump, so it might be in his best interest to help keep him out of jail.

(Note that in the past, Trump has tried to avoid paying Giuliani's fees as a lawyer while he was trying to overturn the election.)
Oh gee whiz!

Where is that 'Kraken release' when you need it?

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2021, 03:31 PM   #109
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

How did his answer to what kind of scrutiny should the law be looked at with "the usual one" advance his cause in any way? Demonstrating that he has no idea what the levels of scrutiny are is to his advantage how?
I was talking about his lie concerning the search warrant and "imminent danger of being destroyed". Let's keep the goal post in the same position, OK?
Old 6th May 2021, 05:18 AM   #110
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I was talking about his lie concerning the search warrant and "imminent danger of being destroyed". Let's keep the goal post in the same position, OK?
And I was using that to illustrate his blatant incompetence and ignorance of the law.
Old 6th May 2021, 05:37 AM   #111
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Getting a search warrant can be damned tough. You have to convince a Judge that a crime has been committed, and that the evidence of that crime is in the place you are asking to search. Getting a warrant to search a lawyer's premises is extra damn tough.... and requires the use of a "filter team" to carry out the search in order to ensure the investigating team don't see ACP evidence.

"Imminent danger of evidence being destroyed" is never the sole pretext for a search warrant, although it can be a secondary issue. When that happens, the investigators, true to crime drama TV, may seek out a judge after hours, and the warrant executed almost straight away.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2021, 08:32 AM   #112
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
...I have friends and relatives from the New York area who were baffled by the national popularity of Giuliani...
I'm a New Yorker who is and was baffled by Giuliani's national popularity. He became Mayor of New York City in 1993 by 53,000 votes out of 1.7 million cast. Not a big margin. I voted for his opponent, the incumbent, David Dinkins.

New York newspaper columnist Jimmy Breslin always wrote, mayor of New York City was actually a glorified janitor's job. Keeping the streets clean and picking up the garbage was what it was really all about. Very true. And for that reason I became a solid supporter of Giuliani. In 1993 the city was in the midst of a 'quality of life' crisis. I had been working as a car service dispatcher at an office located in the Little Italy neighborhood in lower Manhattan. I was able to drive to work. Everyday, en route between the East River Drive and the office near West Broadway, I encountered panhandlers and 'squeegee men' at every major intersection. It became annoying and exhausting. If you had to stop for a red light they would walk along the line of cars, offering to clean your windshield for a buck or just ask you for money. Every. Single. Day.

On Saturdays I worked part time in midtown Manhattan. There were homeless everywhere. Living in cardboard boxes, even on prestigious Fifth Avenue.

Everyone was saying, "How has this happened? Why can't the city do something?" Mayor Dinkins' response was, "Let's show the homeless some compassion." People like me said, "My life is no bed of roses, either. How about showing me some compassion?"

Once Giuliani got in office, everything changed. Like many New Yorkers I was overjoyed to hear Giuliani say, at a City Hall news conference, I'm paraphrasing, "We call ourselves the greatest city in the world. Yet we allow people to live in cardboard boxes on the sidewalk? We've got to be able to do better than this. It's shameful."

The police began removing sidewalk dwellers. Chasing panhandlers off the streets. Everything changed very quickly. The city opened shelters, established outreach teams. There was a dramatic improvement in the quality of life on the city streets.

Giuliani was never a great mayor otherwise. But he was, however, a good cleanup guy, or janitor as Breslin would put it. I even voted for him in 1997. But I recognized, Giuliani was a deeply flawed man. I never really liked him or even respected him. But he was doing the job I had desperately wanted the mayor to do. So I supported him.

Last edited by newyorkguy; 6th May 2021 at 08:34 AM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2021, 08:35 AM   #113
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
I'm a New Yorker who is and was baffled by Giuliani's national popularity. He became Mayor of New York City in 1993 by 53,000 votes out of 1.7 million cast. Not a big margin. I voted for his opponent, the incumbent, David Dinkins.

New York newspaper columnist Jimmy Breslin always wrote, mayor of New York City was actually a glorified janitor's job. Keeping the streets clean and picking up the garbage was what it was really all about. Very true. And for that reason I became a solid supporter of Giuliani. In 1993 the city was in the midst of a 'quality of life' crisis. I had been working as a car service dispatcher at an office located in the Little Italy neighborhood in lower Manhattan. I was able to drive to work. Everyday, en route between the East River Drive and the office near West Broadway, I encountered panhandlers and 'squeegee men' at every major intersection. It became annoying and exhausting. If you had to stop for a red light they would walk along the line of cars, offering to clean your windshield for a buck or just ask you for money. Every. Single. Day.

On Saturdays I worked part time in midtown Manhattan. There were homeless everywhere. Living in cardboard boxes, even on prestigious Fifth Avenue.

Everyone was saying, "How has this happened? Why can't the city do something?" Mayor Dinkins' response was, "Let's show the homeless some compassion." People like me said, "My life is no bed of roses, either. How about showing me some compassion?"

Once Giuliani got in office, everything changed. Like many New Yorkers I was overjoyed to hear Giuliani say, at a City Hall news conference, I'm paraphrasing, "We call ourselves the greatest city in the world. Yet we allow people to live in cardboard boxes on the sidewalk? We've got to be able to do better than this. It's shameful."

The police began removing sidewalk dwellers. Chasing panhandlers off the streets. Everything changed very quickly. The city opened shelters, established outreach teams. There was a dramatic improvement in the quality of life on the city streets.
And of course just harass the homeless to go somewhere else, that is after all job 1 of the NYPD.
Old 6th May 2021, 08:49 AM   #114
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

They weren't just harassing the homeless to go elsewhere. Where would they have gone? That wouldn't have worked. They were taking them to shelters.

I remember seeing a show on TV, where they filmed a New York City Transit Police team -- this was when the city still had a separate transit police force -- removing people who lived in the subway tunnels. They sent them to shelters, the cops brought them up to the street and there were vans with an outreach team present.

I always remember one of the detectives being interviewed. He was white, about forty. He said he was very conservative and he always felt, the homeless just needed to stop the crap, clean up their act and get a freaking job. Period. But he said working in the tunnels had changed his mind. He said, "I never thought I would say this, but the people we're dealing with, they're too far gone." That most were obviously mentally or emotionally ill and needed professional services. That years of drug and/or alcohol abuse, living in the streets, had damaged them to the point, they were no longer employable. That they needed intervention and help. He even said he hoped they would be helped and he was pretty sure they would be.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2021, 08:49 AM   #115
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
And of course just harass the homeless to go somewhere else, that is after all job 1 of the NYPD.
Easy to say if you're not living or working there. If the homeless harass folks who live or work in Manhattan, that's a problem too. And if sensible folks do nothing about it, you get Rudy.
Old 6th May 2021, 02:04 PM   #116
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

And I was using that to illustrate his blatant incompetence and ignorance of the law.
Great. I think we can both agree that he's incompetent now as a lawyer. But I think you'd have to agree that even he, as the former Attorney General of the SDNY, would know that a search warrant isn't just granted because evidence is in imminent danger of being destroyed.
Old 6th May 2021, 03:12 PM   #117
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of the homeless people being on the streets is due to the deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill that began in the 60's. California, under Reagan's governorship, became one of the first states to really deinstitutionalize the mentally ill and saw them end up on the streets and in the prisons. Under Reagan, the Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) Act, which virtually abolished involuntary hospitalization except in extreme cases, was passed. But it really escalated nationally in the 80's under Pres. Reagan when he signed the OBRACT in 1981 which virtually defunded the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980. As with most things GOP: money over people.
Old 6th May 2021, 04:40 PM   #118
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Doubt it, but probably as dishonest.
Bares a disconcerting resemblence to Gary Busey.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2021, 04:47 PM   #119
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
I have one myself, safely stashed in my Ark of the Covenant.
Lucky you, all I have are Crystal Skulls. And they really suck. Still, at least they're something to keep in my nuclear bomb proof fridge.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2021, 06:09 PM   #120
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A lot of the homeless people being on the streets is due to the deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill that began in the 60's. California, under Reagan's governorship, became one of the first states to really deinstitutionalize the mentally ill and saw them end up on the streets and in the prisons. Under Reagan, the Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) Act, which virtually abolished involuntary hospitalization except in extreme cases, was passed. But it really escalated nationally in the 80's under Pres. Reagan when he signed the OBRACT in 1981 which virtually defunded the Mental Health Systems Act of 1980. As with most things GOP: money over people.
That's around the same time Maggie came up with 'care in the community' in the UK.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics