IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , Biden administration , Biden controversies , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 21st May 2021, 10:54 PM   #81
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't know if it is. One of the things I despise about the news and these days is how easily it is to get sucked into the superfluous. They get us all fixated on trivia.

Yes it was awful.

But the talk about that only leads to people discussing Biden's hair or Hillary Clinton's pant suit or Kamala Harris's sex life. Anything but healthcare, or taxes or infrastructure. I don't care about anything a politician does unless its, corrupt, illegal or hypocritical.
But this isn't 'the news'; it's an internet forum where we do discuss the more important events all the time but if we can't discuss the less heavy topics or even have some levity from time to time then we'd all go nuts. Do you really want 'the news' 24/7?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2021, 08:45 AM   #82
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
But this isn't 'the news'; it's an internet forum where we do discuss the more important events all the time but if we can't discuss the less heavy topics or even have some levity from time to time then we'd all go nuts. Do you really want 'the news' 24/7?
I get it. But that doesn't make it any less of a trap.

This is the sugar in our diet. A little is no big thing. But it's tastier than the broccoli in our diet. The next thing we know we've gone through a whole bag of cookies, we've gained 50 pounds and we have diabetes.
Old 22nd May 2021, 10:30 AM   #83
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I get it. But that doesn't make it any less of a trap.

This is the sugar in our diet. A little is no big thing. But it's tastier than the broccoli in our diet. The next thing we know we've gone through a whole bag of cookies, we've gained 50 pounds and we have diabetes.
But life without any sugar is very, very, tasteless and boring so don't make us feel guilty when we indulge ourselves from time to time, OK? Poking fun at Trump's truly awful comb over is my Milano Chocolate Orange cookie. Or two.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd May 2021, 11:28 AM   #84
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

But life without any sugar is very, very, tasteless and boring so don't make us feel guilty when we indulge ourselves from time to time, OK? Poking fun at Trump's truly awful comb over is my Milano Chocolate Orange cookie. Or two.
I don't disagree and I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty. Nobody is doing anything wrong. Guilt and shame are mostly wasted emotions. Hey, I like a Milano cookie as much as you do.

But I really really want people to look deeper. What's important is less and less discussed.
The trivia has taken over.

Look at the Republican party these days. They stand for nothing, but a reality TV star who trolled and bullied his way through 4 years. They have absolutely no vision but to tear it all down.
Old 22nd May 2021, 06:13 PM   #85
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't disagree and I'm not trying to make anyone feel guilty. Nobody is doing anything wrong. Guilt and shame are mostly wasted emotions. Hey, I like a Milano cookie as much as you do.

But I really really want people to look deeper. What's important is less and less discussed.
The trivia has taken over.

Look at the Republican party these days. They stand for nothing, but a reality TV star who trolled and bullied his way through 4 years. They have absolutely no vision but to tear it all down.
I think we discuss the important issues all the time which is why we need the levity. But yes, we are in total agreement that the GOP stands for nothing these days except negativity: scientific ignorance, racism, bigotry, and nationalism disguised as patriotism wrapped in the flag.
Old 24th May 2021, 02:39 AM   #86
dirtywick
Illuminator

I think itís becoming increasingly apparent that the filibuster is going to be gone soon. I think it would be wise to break it on the Jan 6 commission. Itís bipartisan and popular, it was negotiated fairly, and the Republicans will never vote for it. I hope this is the straw that breaks the camels back over something more politically inconvenient.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 03:11 AM   #87
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
I think itís becoming increasingly apparent that the filibuster is going to be gone soon. I think it would be wise to break it on the Jan 6 commission. Itís bipartisan and popular, it was negotiated fairly, and the Republicans will never vote for it. I hope this is the straw that breaks the camels back over something more politically inconvenient.
I fear that will backfire badly on the Democrats when the GOP regains control in the senate in 2022.

Then again it is anti-democratic, but then again so is the modern day GOP.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 03:51 AM   #88
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I fear that will backfire badly on the Democrats when the GOP regains control in the senate in 2022.

Not sure I'd call it anti-democratic, but it sure seems like it prevents government from operating properly.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 09:07 AM   #89
Paul2
Philosopher

What are you seeing the players do or say that leads you to think the filibuster will be gone or modified? Anything recent?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 11:41 AM   #90
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

As if the GOP won't be doing that anyway.

McConnell has too much power which he uses to destroy anything the Democrats might get credit for, and the Democrats need to step up to the plate.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 12:02 PM   #91
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Everything is going to backfire on the Democrats because the Republican have literally no goal, purpose, philosophy, theme, or narrative beyond "Stop the Democrats from effectively governing because our entire house of cards will fall down if Americans ever witness a government actually working correctly."

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 24th May 2021 at 12:20 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 12:19 PM   #92
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
As if the GOP won't be doing that anyway.

McConnell has too much power which he uses to destroy anything the Democrats might get credit for, and the Democrats need to step up to the plate.
I agree; the Dems need to play hardball a lot more then they are doing.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 12:21 PM   #93
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Everything is going to backfire on the Democrats because the Republican have literally no goal, purpose, philosophy, theme, or narrative beyond "Stop the Democrats from effectively governing because our entire house of cards will fall down if Americans ever witness a government actually working correctly."
That IS the GOP platform.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 12:22 PM   #94
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Foreign Policy crisis seem to be erupting every week; on top of the Israeli/Palestnain falure up we now have the Belarus incident. Foreign Policy is the joker in the deck of American politics.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 12:22 PM   #95
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I agree; the Dems need to play hardball a lot more then they are doing.
That's part of the problem: they don't, and won't. The GOP will do everything in its power, and more, actually, to make sure they retain power, screw over the poor and minorities (while making sure that venn diagram is actually a circle) and stop government from interfering with their rich donor's activities, while the DNC just looks on and goes "hey, that's not nice! Stop it!". Spineless vs Evil.

Old 24th May 2021, 12:27 PM   #96
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's waaaaaaaay down on the scale in comparison to the full scale insanity of the GOP but the Democrats have also found themselves in a less than perfect narrative themselves.

They've been the underdog so long that they have almost demonized the concept of being in power. Since everything is a "who's the underdog, who has the privilege, who is at an advantage/disadvantage" narrative with them bringing political power to bear without basically apologizing for it is going to be hard for them.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 01:35 PM   #97
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Not quite as willing as many to write off Democracy in America as many in this thread are.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 24th May 2021, 01:37 PM   #98
Belz...
Fiend God

Not quite as willing as many to write off Democracy in America as many in this thread are.
I wouldn't write it off, but I think you're looking down the barrel of a crisis, possibly the worst since the Civil War... assuming it's not a second chapter of it.

Old 24th May 2021, 01:44 PM   #99
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm sorry Mr. "A CIVIL WAR WILL HAPPEN ANY DAY!" could you repeat that, I was laughing.

Old 24th May 2021, 01:45 PM   #100
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I'm sorry Mr. "A CIVIL WAR WILL HAPPEN ANY DAY!" could you repeat that, I was laughing.
I had the same thought but I was trying to be more constructive, Joe.

Old 24th May 2021, 01:53 PM   #101
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
What are you seeing the players do or say that leads you to think the filibuster will be gone or modified? Anything recent?
Nothing particular. I think itís been more clear through their public comments that a GOP return to normalcy, like moderates like Manchin and Biden have been predicting, isnít going to happen. Filibuster on a bipartisan probe into Jan 6 because itís not targeting Antifa is pretty good evidence they wonít get 60 on much and the low hanging fruit is gone.

I think itís critical to pass voter reform by the mid terms. And thereís only one way that happens
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 03:14 PM   #102
Paul2
Philosopher

Nothing particular. I think itís been more clear through their public comments that a GOP return to normalcy, like moderates like Manchin and Biden have been predicting, isnít going to happen. Filibuster on a bipartisan probe into Jan 6 because itís not targeting Antifa is pretty good evidence they wonít get 60 on much and the low hanging fruit is gone.

I think itís critical to pass voter reform by the mid terms. And thereís only one way that happens
Hopefully the Biden administration is calculating that it's worth it to spend some amount of time now in pursuit of bipartisanship (for the ability to say they've tried) while planning to change the filibuster before it's too late so they can pass the voting reform bill, which really has to pass before the midterm elections.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 03:42 PM   #103
dirtywick
Illuminator

I hope so as well. They’ve introduced hundreds of targeted voter suppression bills at the state level across the country recently. It was already difficult to win; in WI last election Dems got something like 60% of the statewide vote and lost state seats, and it’s not going to get any easier the longer they sit on it.

I often wonder who the appearance of trying for bipartisanship is aimed at though. The GOP has been filibustering bills where they’ve requested provisions and compromises and voting them down anyway for years. I don’t know who these token efforts are aimed at.

Also, I think the Dems holding a 50/50 Senate was basically a miracle. Wouldn’t plan on holding both houses after 2022 regardless of what they do now. This is the time to level the playing field. It may be a while before they get another chance.

Last edited by dirtywick; 24th May 2021 at 03:44 PM.
Old 24th May 2021, 04:18 PM   #104
Mumbles
Philosopher

A questionable prediction.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 06:05 PM   #105
Paul2
Philosopher

I hope so as well. Theyíve introduced hundreds of targeted voter suppression bills at the state level across the country recently. It was already difficult to win; in WI last election Dems got something like 60% of the statewide vote and lost state seats, and itís not going to get any easier the longer they sit on it.

I often wonder who the appearance of trying for bipartisanship is aimed at though. The GOP has been filibustering bills where theyíve requested provisions and compromises and voting them down anyway for years. I donít know who these token efforts are aimed at.

Also, I think the Dems holding a 50/50 Senate was basically a miracle. Wouldnít plan on holding both houses after 2022 regardless of what they do now. This is the time to level the playing field. It may be a while before they get another chance.
I would guess voters who value bipartisanship.

Old 24th May 2021, 07:41 PM   #106
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I often wonder who the appearance of trying for bipartisanship is aimed at though.
As another poster suggested, its probably aimed at moderate voters...

Americans of all political stripes agree that attempts at bipartisanship in Washington are a good thing...87% say that attempts at bipartisanship are a good thing, including 92% of Democrats, 90% of independents and 77% of Republicans. But 60% say they see bipartisanship as unlikely on upcoming legislation...

Of course, its possible for a person to CLAIM they want bipartisanship, but not actually care about it. (And I suspect at least some republicans who claim they want 'bipartisanship' simply want the Democrats to capitulate, without giving up anything themselves.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2021, 10:15 PM   #107
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
I would guess voters who value bipartisanship.
My guess: humans
Old 24th May 2021, 10:17 PM   #108
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
As another poster suggested, its probably aimed at moderate voters...

Americans of all political stripes agree that attempts at bipartisanship in Washington are a good thing...87% say that attempts at bipartisanship are a good thing, including 92% of Democrats, 90% of independents and 77% of Republicans. But 60% say they see bipartisanship as unlikely on upcoming legislation...

Of course, its possible for a person to CLAIM they want bipartisanship, but not actually care about it. (And I suspect at least some republicans who claim they want 'bipartisanship' simply want the Democrats to capitulate, without giving up anything themselves.)
I donít think bipartisanship is achievable on many of these issues at this time and I think everyone whoís paying attention knows that also. To me it seems like a waste of time to offer watered down compromises they have no intention of accepting anyway, when ultimately their goal is to simply run out the clock.
Old 24th May 2021, 10:27 PM   #109
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I donít think bipartisanship is achievable on many of these issues at this time and I think everyone whoís paying attention knows that also. To me it seems like a waste of time to offer watered down compromises they have no intention of accepting anyway, when ultimately their goal is to simply run out the clock.
To get into a slight nuance... compromise between differing groups of people that each share a larger goal of working to improve the nation is, ideally, what bipartisanship is. That the Republican Party has been very blatantly putting party over nation for quite a fair while now pretty well negates so much of how meaningful the positives of the term even are.
Old 24th May 2021, 11:04 PM   #110
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

To explain most Democrats' behavior, simply remember that they're paid by the same people who pay the Republicans.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 01:42 AM   #111
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
To explain most Democrats' behavior, simply remember that they're paid by the same people who pay the Republicans.
Money paid by taxpayers essentially gets thrown in a big pool; we don't get to choose where our money goes once we pay our taxes. But we do get to choose where our votes go and the people voting for Democrats are most certainly not the same people who are voting for Republicans.
Old 25th May 2021, 02:53 AM   #112
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
A questionable prediction.
It is, but I think there is reasonable evidence to support it.

The GOP controls the majority of state legislatures and they're moving heaven and earth to make it as difficult as possible for the *wrong* sort of people to vote. If their efforts are successful then it gets increasingly difficult for the Democratic Party candidates to get elected.

The Senate electoral map for the Democrats isn't as unfavourable as it was in 2018 and 2020, but they are defending four seats in Arizona, Georgia, New Hampshire and Nevada where there are very competitive races. It wouldn't take much bad news to tip them in the GOP's favour. Arizona and Georgia are also likely to have tough new voter ID laws in place as well.

The GOP is gearing up to allow state legislatures to overturn results where the legitimacy of the result is in doubt (i.e. where the GOP candidate did not win). In close results, this cold very well be the deciding factor.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 02:55 AM   #113
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Money paid by taxpayers essentially gets thrown in a big pool; we don't get to choose where our money goes once we pay our taxes. But we do get to choose where our votes go and the people voting for Democrats are most certainly not the same people who are voting for Republicans.
I think Delvo is referring to donors, not taxpayers.

The implication is that the majority of Democrats are "soft" on Republicans because they rely on, and are at the beck and call of, the same donors.
Old 25th May 2021, 03:30 AM   #114
Mumbles
Philosopher

It is, but I think there is reasonable evidence to support it.

The GOP controls the majority of state legislatures and they're moving heaven and earth to make it as difficult as possible for the *wrong* sort of people to vote. If their efforts are successful then it gets increasingly difficult for the Democratic Party candidates to get elected.

The Senate electoral map for the Democrats isn't as unfavourable as it was in 2018 and 2020, but they are defending four seats in Arizona, Georgia, New Hampshire and Nevada where there are very competitive races. It wouldn't take much bad news to tip them in the GOP's favour. Arizona and Georgia are also likely to have tough new voter ID laws in place as well.

The GOP is gearing up to allow state legislatures to overturn results where the legitimacy of the result is in doubt (i.e. where the GOP candidate did not win). In close results, this cold very well be the deciding factor.
But...

Let's say they get rid of the filibuster, as you suggested.

Voting rights of some sort, massive jobs/infrastructure bill, wealthy people start paying more in taxes, some tax cuts from the Recovery Act stay, and that's the start.

Also, a lot of these voting restrictions get blown away (this may happen via courts regardless, but they can't even start again)

1/6 gets investigated, And Trump keeps yammering "oh no, the elections are rigged, look at me everyone, I hate republican X, I love that Greene woman, Three cheers for Gaetz!". Assuming he isn't on trial or in prison by then - the latter is very unlikely.

and unlike 2010 when (I cannot stress this enough!) moderate dems all ran away from the ACA and refused to be seen with Obama who (again I cannot stress this enough!) was opposed because the right hates black people in positions of power while younger voters insisted that Obama "didn't get medicare for all" and "didn't leave Afghanistan" (both of which he said he would not do), dems are united around a popular old Christian white guy who a great majority agrees is great. And the press seems to have noticed, *finally* that this isn't a both sides issue.

Yes, anything's possible. China could just collapse economically, and drag the US down with it. But honestly, looking at things as they are...well, there's a reason the GOP is rushing to restrict voting access, to the point of likely harming their own strongest bloc as well - elderly white people.

I'd be cautious before giving the GOP too much strength, is all.

Last edited by Mumbles; 25th May 2021 at 03:36 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th May 2021, 03:47 AM   #115
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

But...

Voting rights of some sort, massive jobs/infrastructure bill, wealthy people start paying more in taxes, some tax cuts from the Recovery Act stay, and that's the start.
That assumes that all 50 Senators that vote with the Democratic Party (48 Democrats and 2 Independents) will vote in favour of those things. It would only take one or two Democratic Senators from more Republican leaning states to get cold feet about some of the items in any bill for it to fail.

Also, a lot of these voting restrictions get blown away (this may happen via courts regardless, but they can't even start again)
AIUI, unless a Voting Rights bill gets passed (and I think it's a big ask in the time before the 2022 elections), then the states have considerable latitude for action.

1/6 gets investigated, And Trump keeps yammering "oh no, the elections are rigged, look at me everyone, I hate republican X, I love that Greene woman, Tree cheers for Gaetz!". Assuming he isn't on trial or in prison by then - the latter is very unlikely.

and unlike 2010 when (I cannot stress this enough!) moderate dems all ran away from the ACA and refused to be seen with Obama who (again I cannot stress this enough!) was opposed because the right hates black people in positions of power while younger voters insisted that Obama "didn't get medicare for all" and "didn't leave Afghanistan" (both of which he said he would not do), dems are united around a popular old Christian white guy who a great majority agrees is great. And the press seems to have noticed, *finally* that this isn't a both sides issue.
I hope that the press have learned, but the amount of publicity that clowns like Greene and Gaetz are getting IMO shows that they haven't.

Yes, anything's possible. China could just collapse economically, and drag the US down with it. But honestly, looking at things as they are...well, there's a reason the GOP is rushing to restrict voting access, to the point of likely harming their own strongest bloc as well - elderly white people.
I'm sure that they'll find a way to allow Mee-maw and Pop-pop to vote by absentee ballot whilst restricting certain "undesirable" voters from casting their almost certainly fraudulent votes by mail.

Likewise with access to cast early ballots and/or getting access to a polling station on election day.

They seem to be getting very good at getting more than their share or representation.
Old 26th May 2021, 08:55 PM   #116
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Without serious change in the behavior of at least one of the parties, it won't matter a bit who wins next time, just like the most recent change in power hasn't mattered a bit. The Democrats have the ability to do what they want now, so what they're doing now demonstrates what they want: nothing at all on taxes on people who actually have money to tax, minimum wage, student debt, Medicare For All or even reduction in Medicare age limit or even any other adjustments to the ACA at all like a "public option", police reform... the infrastructure things is still continuing to fizzle away to nothing as we speak... not even the slightest peep about Israel's latest mass-murder spree, nevermind just not supporting them at it anymore... or the bigger version of the same thing by the Saudis... all while hiding behind excuses that they could change/ignore if they chose to like the filibuster and the reconciliation process & parliamentarian but are leaving propped up just to hide behind. What is there that would be any good that they're putting the slightest bit of actual effort into, either directly (actually using the powers of the offices they occupy) or even indirectly (making their cases in public and daring the opposition to oppose)? Do you want to give them credit for the apparent decrease in border-prison kids? OK, let's go with that. They've got that, and not going out of their way to deliberately make the plague worse. Wow.

Yes, if they were to start fighting for any of these things, they'd lose some (but not most) of the fights, at first... which would be when they'd just keep fighting. But they're not even trying. Just a few of them are barely even talking about maybe someday trying on just a sliver of it. This is not the behavior of people who want to do better. It's barely even the behavior of people who care whether anybody out there is somehow even tricked into thinking they want to do better. And the reason why is mentioned just a few posts above: their real bosses didn't hire them to do better and don't pay them to do better.

Last edited by Delvo; 26th May 2021 at 09:33 PM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th May 2021, 10:32 PM   #117
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Without serious change in the behavior of at least one of the parties, it won't matter a bit who wins next time, just like the most recent change in power hasn't mattered a bit.
Let's just be totally clear here. It's mattered quite a lot. Has everything we think would be best for the country happened already? Of course not, but let's not pretend that there isn't a huge difference between Trump and the GOP working hard to screw things up and break the nation ever more and Biden and the Democrats not doing *enough* good fast enough, especially when taking in account their focus on addressing multiple major and countless minor emergencies largely created by and left by the GOP.
Old 26th May 2021, 11:05 PM   #118
dirtywick
Illuminator

But...

1/6 gets investigated, And Trump keeps yammering "oh no, the elections are rigged, look at me everyone, I hate republican X, I love that Greene woman, Three cheers for Gaetz!". Assuming he isn't on trial or in prison by then - the latter is very unlikely.

Not to mention look what's going on in Arizona. That audit to keep Trump appeased is absolutely, insanely embarrassing. The conspiracy theorist put in charge of the "audit" needed to subcontract the actual work and the company they hired didn't renew their contract halfway through because, most likely, they're spinning around lazy susan's and have a few seconds to check each ballot for bamboo. Plus if his blog is any indication, nobody but politicians are listening to Trump these days anyway so every day of his political irrelevance makes the whole party look worse and worse.
Old 26th May 2021, 11:07 PM   #119
dirtywick
Illuminator

That assumes that all 50 Senators that vote with the Democratic Party (48 Democrats and 2 Independents) will vote in favour of those things. It would only take one or two Democratic Senators from more Republican leaning states to get cold feet about some of the items in any bill for it to fail.
It's preferable there's one or two people can be reasoned with than none.
Old 27th May 2021, 08:53 AM   #120
Mumbles
Philosopher

Not to mention look what's going on in Arizona. That audit to keep Trump appeased is absolutely, insanely embarrassing. The conspiracy theorist put in charge of the "audit" needed to subcontract the actual work and the company they hired didn't renew their contract halfway through because, most likely, they're spinning around lazy susan's and have a few seconds to check each ballot for bamboo. Plus if his blog is any indication, nobody but politicians are listening to Trump these days anyway so every day of his political irrelevance makes the whole party look worse and worse.
At the federal level, *if* they pass legislation (which means tossing the filibuster), I see three potential problems:

1: the courts. I've said repeatedly that John Roberts' gutting the VRA was an incredibly bad decision (even Taney figured out a way to justify the Dred Scott decision in some sort of tradition - this court is just making things up).

2: The states just outright cancelling elections. This wouldn't go well for anyone.

3: outright violence from MAGAts. Which they seem to enjoy.

Again, this isn't at all new. They've put in "managers" in the place of local governments that fail to fix anything at best (and outright poison people at worst, like in Flint MI), stripped governors and other state officials of power, and generally made it clear for decades now that they hate democracy unless it elects them.

*shrug* dunno why voters (and, really, white voters especially) haven't picked up on this yet... Granted, some people love an authoritarian that they can see as on their side, that's just how humans are, but I doubt this is some outright majority of white American voters, and them only, even looking to modern Europe.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics