IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 14th September 2021, 07:38 PM   #1721
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
I will probably never understand the support from Graham for Trump. After first condemning him, then abasing himself for Trump, he has no credibility to me. If Trump has something on him, it still cannot be worth this kind of sellout. How bad could it be for him if whatever Trump has, or doesn't have, came out in this liberal attitude, elitist, society that he and others claim dominate America? I can only go with evil, and supporting evil at this juncture.
I'm picking he's in the closet, and Trump has proof he's gay.

Graham has never been married, and there have been gay rumours swirling around him in SC for years where it is regarded as somewhat of an open secret.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 14th September 2021 at 07:44 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 07:43 PM   #1722
kevbo
Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'm picking he's in the closet.
I wouldn't disagree. I just don't understand how in the current America with the majority support for LGBTQ issues he can continue to let that define him when it comes to supporting someone so odious as Trump.

Last edited by kevbo; 14th September 2021 at 07:51 PM.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 07:44 PM   #1723
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I will probably never understand the support from Graham for Trump. After first condemning him, then abasing himself for Trump, he has no credibility to me. If Trump has something on him, it still cannot be worth this kind of sellout. How bad could it be for him if whatever Trump has, or doesn't have, came out in this liberal attitude, elitist, society that he and others claim dominate America? I can only go with evil, and supporting evil at this juncture.
Lindsey Graham is a butt kissing opportunist with no morals or principles. A perfect Republican today.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 07:49 PM   #1724
kevbo
Thinker

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Lindsey Graham is a butt kissing opportunist with no morals or principles. A perfect Republican today.
Well, I suppose he was ahead of his time then. Maybe he is glad Trump came along before he retired, lost election, or died. Gave him an excuse to come out of that closet instead of the other possible one.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 08:45 PM   #1725
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Dr. Strangelove : Of course, the whole point of a Doomsday Machine is lost, if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the world, EH?

Ambassador de Sadesky : It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises.
Old 14th September 2021, 11:22 PM   #1726
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I'm picking he's in the closet, and Trump the GOP hierarchy in his arch-conservative state has proof he's gay.
If he was outed, he wouldn't make it home alive.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 11:27 PM   #1727
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If he was outed, he wouldn't make it home alive.
i have heard from multiple sources that it is a pretty open secret in his home district.
the actual juicy bit is that there is probably evidence of him having paid sex with male prostitutes in Washington.
Old 14th September 2021, 11:35 PM   #1728
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
i have heard from multiple sources that it is a pretty open secret in his home district.
the actual juicy bit is that there is probably evidence of him having paid sex with male prostitutes in Washington.
That juicy bit is why it is not his home district that would be the problem for him. The rest of his state alone has plenty of gun-totin' pickup-drivin' rednecks who won't abide his kind representin' them. Not to mention other similar states.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 14th September 2021 at 11:36 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 01:16 AM   #1729
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

...and if anyone would know about paid sex... it would be Trump!
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 01:37 AM   #1730
Lurch
Graduate Poster

*IF* the dirt on Graham was, say, kiddie diddling, that could be enough to have him sell his soul.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 01:41 AM   #1731
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
*IF* the dirt on Graham was, say, kiddie diddling, that could be enough to have him sell his soul.
He seems to be simply a Type 1 Sycophant to me. I don't think Donald Trump would need to have anything over him to secure his support, just be top dog.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 01:47 AM   #1732
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
He seems to be simply a Type 1 Sycophant to me. I don't think Donald Trump would need to have anything over him to secure his support, just be top dog.
I agree. Graham will just kiss whoever's arse he thinks will benefit him.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 02:59 AM   #1733
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Excerpts from the flurry of statements issued by trump on his webpage over the last couple of days:

"Rigged" is now a word you capitalise, and even though it's Rigged, trump still got more votes than trump because that's all logical thought progression. Also it's Rigged.
Quote:
People don’t realize that, despite the Rigged voting in California (I call it the “Swarming Ballots”), I got 1.5 Million more votes in 2020 than I did in 2016

As expected, trump lashes out at Milley for things being reported from Woodward's book.
Quote:
If the story of “Dumbass” General Mark Milley, the same failed leader who engineered the worst withdrawal from a country, Afghanistan, in U.S. history, leaving behind many dead and wounded soldiers, many American citizens, and $85 Billion worth of the newest and most sophisticated Military equipment in the world, and our Country’s reputation, is true, then I assume he would be tried for TREASON in that he would have been dealing with his Chinese counterpart behind the President’s back and telling China that he would be giving them notification “of an attack.” Can’t do that!
Old 15th September 2021, 03:00 AM   #1734
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Graham has never been married, and there have been gay rumours swirling around him in SC for years where it is regarded as somewhat of an open secret.
If that was the case Trump wouldn't have been able to resist spilling the beans by now.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 03:06 AM   #1735
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

To be fair, Milley needs to be investigated at the very least - taking active steps to block the Chain of Command is not something one should be able to do consequence free.
Old 15th September 2021, 03:06 AM   #1736
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
CNN: General Milley was worried Trump would "go rogue" in the final days of his Presidency, took steps to safeguard nuclear weapons.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/14/polit...ear/index.html
He obviously didn't realise Trump was only being sarcastic....
Old 15th September 2021, 03:57 AM   #1737
TofuFighter
Master Poster

To be fair, Milley needs to be investigated at the very least - taking active steps to block the Chain of Command is not something one should be able to do consequence free.
I don't know if it's been established yet that Milley was actively trying to block the chain of command. According to a Jennifer Griffin (Fox News National Security correspondent) tweet, the Pentagon had indicated to her that Milley had reviewed existing protocols and confirmed with everyone (welll... almost everyone) that they understood what those protocols were.

Milley is most likely going to have to explain some of his words to his Chinese counterparts with regard to potential strikes, but I'm a little skeptical about the calls being referred to as 'secret'.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:06 AM   #1738
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Milley simply did a different version of what Richard Nixon's SecDef James Schlesinger did in the final days of the Nixon presidency.... keep an angry, corrupt, desperate and totally out of control president from starting a war to justify staying in power, by ordering the military to disobey any orders that came from Nixon. Schlesinger never faced any investigation or consequences for doing the right thing, and stopping Nixon.

Every American should thank their lucky stars they live in a country where the military do not take advantage of a President whose lost the plot!
Old 15th September 2021, 04:11 AM   #1739
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
I don't know if it's been established yet that Milley was actively trying to block the chain of command. According to a Jennifer Griffin (Fox News National Security correspondent) tweet, the Pentagon had indicated to her that Milley had reviewed existing protocols and confirmed with everyone (welll... almost everyone) that they understood what those protocols were.

Milley is most likely going to have to explain some of his words to his Chinese counterparts with regard to potential strikes, but I'm a little skeptical about the calls being referred to as 'secret'.
I heard a former US Army General (McCaffrey?) being interviewed by Nicole Wallace on MSNBC this afternoon. He seemed to suggest it was not unusual for CJCS, to communicate by phone with the top allied and non-allied military leaders using the back channel.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:13 AM   #1740
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

heck, i'm glad that Milley was there - who knows what Mattis would have done.
But if Milley is as much a Patriot as he seems to be, he would probably accept some sanctioning in return for knowing that he made the US safer.
But he was probably smart enough to not have left himself open to actual consequences.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:41 AM   #1741
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I heard a former US Army General (McCaffrey?) being interviewed by Nicole Wallace on MSNBC this afternoon. He seemed to suggest it was not unusual for CJCS, to communicate by phone with the top allied and non-allied military leaders using the back channel.
I should hope so! Nuclear nations should always have channels to deescalate without political posturing.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 04:46 AM   #1742
TofuFighter
Master Poster

I don't think it's so much the use of the back channel that's problematic. I fully expect that the method of communication will ultimately prove to have been legitimate. From quotes, I understand that Milley had indicated that he'd warn China of any strike, and that seems to me, on its face, to be a problem. I have no knowledge at all of what military protocols are, so this is purely a layman's opinion.
Old 15th September 2021, 05:42 AM   #1743
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I beat him by a landslide! It was like nothing you've ever seen before! People were saying, "Mam, it was like he wasn't even in the race!" My win was YUGE!
Did you have to pay off Rainy Daniels to keep quiet about what went on between you and him in the staff room on Friday night?
Old 15th September 2021, 12:52 PM   #1744
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Did you have to pay off Rainy Daniels to keep quiet about what went on between you and him in the staff room on Friday night?
Payoff? What payoff? I never even met Rainy Daniels despite there being a picture of him having covfefe with me.
Old 15th September 2021, 01:04 PM   #1745
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

AIUI, Milley did not take "active steps to block the Chain of Command." What he did was remind everyone what the correct procedure was and that included his being notified.

Quote:
Milley called a secret meeting of senior officials to review the process to launch new military action, to include the launch of nuclear weapons.

“No matter what you are told, you do the procedure. You do the process. And I’m part of that procedure,”
told the officers, according to the excerpts.
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...e-strike-book/

He was stopping Trump from not following proper procedure, just as Trump had not followed proper procedure when he issued his memo regarding withdrawing from Afghanistan by Jan. 15.

From the same Military Times link:

Quote:
The Washington Post reported the book also alleges that Milley made secret phone calls to his Chinese counterpart, Gen. Li Zuocheng, that the United States would not attack China. The calls came as Chinese officials worried of a potential attack because of Trump’s instability and existing tensions between the two countries.
There was good reason for China to be worried and Milley knew it. We ALL had good reason to be worried. He was delusional and desperate. He still is.
Old 15th September 2021, 01:14 PM   #1746
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I agree. Graham will just kiss whoever's arse he thinks will benefit him.

It's a bit of a chicken and egg problem, though. The only reason Trump can benefit Graham is because people like Graham keep kissing Trump's ass. If the GOP would just shun him, they'd have three years to ******** his current supporters into supporting someone else.
Old 15th September 2021, 01:34 PM   #1747
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
It's a bit of a chicken and egg problem, though. The only reason Trump can benefit Graham is because people like Graham keep kissing Trump's ass. If the GOP would just shun him, they'd have three years to ******** his current supporters into supporting someone else.
The GOP are scared ****less of Trump because he can primary them. Remember, reps have to run every two years so he had them in 2018, 2020, and the upcoming 2022 elections. Some senators fall in those years, too. Graham's re-election was in 2020 along with 22 other GOP senators. Twenty GOP senators are up for re-election in 2022.
Old 15th September 2021, 03:53 PM   #1748
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Milley simply did a different version of what Richard Nixon's SecDef James Schlesinger did in the final days of the Nixon presidency.... keep an angry, corrupt, desperate and totally out of control president from starting a war to justify staying in power, by ordering the military to disobey any orders that came from Nixon. Schlesinger never faced any investigation or consequences for doing the right thing, and stopping Nixon.

Every American should thank their lucky stars they live in a country where the military do not take advantage of a President whose lost the plot!
Milley was behaving like the so-called president should have behaved but wasn't, and was never capable of. Milley was BEING the president, in effect, for that purpose of managing the nuclear football and Far East diplomacy. I have no doubt that, if it ever had proven absolutely necessary, Milley would have regretfully and sadly pushed the red button, even while the Tangerine Toddler was ranting in the background. I think that was the message given to China: ignore whatever the screaming idiot says, here's the real military situation you face.

Milley was also trying to save Donny's face and (last tiny shreds of) dignity from the worst possible consequences of his tantrums and insane ravings, a la Nixon. I suspect Milley actually deeply hates Donald's guts.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:14 PM   #1749
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Of course he's gay. Everyone in DC knows he's gay. Every page, staffer, intern and congressional fellow on The Hill knows he's gay. He probably has his own locker at the Crew Club. The only person in DC who doesn't know that everyone knows Lindsey Graham is gay is Lindsey Graham.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 04:20 PM   #1750
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

That juicy bit is why it is not his home district that would be the problem for him. The rest of his state alone has plenty of gun-totin' pickup-drivin' rednecks who won't abide his kind representin' them. Not to mention other similar states.
No one votes for a Senator based on what well they dip their pen in. Graham knows which horse to tie his cart to and how to bring home the pork. He's made a career out of bringing home the bacon and which sun to bask in the reflective glory of.

It's not like it was a big secret Jesse Helms was doinking the pages or Strom Thurmond had a black mistress. They still kept their seats.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 04:21 PM   #1751
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Milley was behaving like the so-called president should have behaved but wasn't, and was never capable of. Milley was BEING the president, in effect, for that purpose of managing the nuclear football and Far East diplomacy. I have no doubt that, if it ever had proven absolutely necessary, Milley would have regretfully and sadly pushed the red button, even while the Tangerine Toddler was ranting in the background. I think that was the message given to China: ignore whatever the screaming idiot says, here's the real military situation you face.

Milley was also trying to save Donny's face and (last tiny shreds of) dignity from the worst possible consequences of his tantrums and insane ravings, a la Nixon. I suspect Milley actually deeply hates Donald's guts.
Anyone who believes in the principles of democracy does.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:24 PM   #1752
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
No one votes for a Senator based on what well they dip their pen in. Graham knows which horse to tie his cart to and how to bring home the pork. He's made a career out of bringing home the bacon and which sun to bask in the reflective glory of.

It's not like it was a big secret Jesse Helms was doinking the pages or Strom Thurmond had a black mistress. They still kept their seats.
Let's be honest;bringing home the pork is something every member of congress has to do to stand any chance of being relected. House members even more then Senators. Question is what else do they do whnn that is taken care of.
That does not make Graham any less contemtible, though. The man has no principals beyond getting reelected.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 04:25 PM   #1753
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. It's like the aristocracy in Victorian England: Adultery/affairs were just fine as long as you didn't do it blatantly and kept up the façade of a faithful marriage.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:32 PM   #1754
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly. It's like the aristocracy in Victorian England: Adultery/affairs were just fine as long as you didn't do it blatantly and kept up the façade of a faithful marriage.
There's a mutually assured destruction thing going on. No one recognizes anyone going into the Crew Club and in return, no one recognizes you going into the Black Rose Club.
Old 15th September 2021, 04:32 PM   #1755
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

A modern day Richard Rich.
Richard Rich was a courtier in Tudor England. who ,essentaily, would do anything to get in the Monarch's good graces. His abilty to shift his positions was breathtaking. He went from being a militant Protestent to being a devout Catholic overnight when Mary the First took over, and went back to being a protestent when Elizabeth took the throne.
He was a charecter in "A Man For All Seasons" where..and this is accurate historically, he perjured himself to convict Thomas More, and was rewarded with a lucrative post in Wales.
Which led to my favorite line in A Man For All Seasons:

"To gain the world and lose your soul is a bad bargain, Richard....but for Wales?".
I often think of that line when Graham is mentioned.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2021, 04:35 PM   #1756
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
A modern day Richard Rich.
Richard Rich was a courtier in Tudor England. who ,essentaily, would do anything to get in the Monarch's good graces. His abilty to shift his positions was breathtaking. He went from being a militant Protestent to being a devout Catholic overnight when Mary the First took over, and went back to being a protestent when Elizabeth took the throne.
He was a charecter in "A Man For All Seasons" where..and this is accurate historically, he perjured himself to convict Thomas More, and was rewarded with a lucrative post in Wales.
Which led to my favorite line in A Man For All Seasons:

"To gain the world and lose your soul is a bad bargain, Richard....but for Wales?".
I often think of that line when Graham is mentioned.
A Man for All Seasons is one of my favorite films along with The Lion in Winter.
Old 15th September 2021, 08:42 PM   #1757
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

AIUI, Milley did not take "active steps to block the Chain of Command." What he did was remind everyone what the correct procedure was and that included his being notified.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...e-strike-book/

He was stopping Trump from not following proper procedure, just as Trump had not followed proper procedure when he issued his memo regarding withdrawing from Afghanistan by Jan. 15.

From the same Military Times link:

There was good reason for China to be worried and Milley knew it. We ALL had good reason to be worried. He was delusional and desperate. He still is.
To poke at the subject - During breaktime tonight, I had the misfortune of being subjected to Fox on a breakroom TV. They were trying really hard to make a huge deal out of this.
Old 15th September 2021, 10:18 PM   #1758
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
To poke at the subject - During breaktime tonight, I had the misfortune of being subjected to Fox on a breakroom TV. They were trying really hard to make a huge deal out of this.
Of course they are. It's a redirection from the really important point of WHY Milley felt it necessary to do what he did: Trump's severe mental illness.
Old 16th September 2021, 12:16 AM   #1759
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

That's quite a concentration of idioms you have there! *golf clap*
Old 16th September 2021, 12:19 AM   #1760
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
I suppose nobody thought to ask what would have happened if he hadn't kept the effects of the Mango Mussolini's episodes under control...?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics