IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 16th June 2021, 07:12 AM   #201
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump the 'author'...

... Trump has lashed out at the publishing industry, calling them “sleezebags” following ongoing reports that he can’t secure a book deal following his controversial time in office....Mr Trump is becoming incredibly frustrated by the fact that those around him, including his former vice president Mike Pence, have secured deals....Mr Trump responded to the swirling rumours, saying that he had “turned down two book deals"...several publishers also told the news agency that they did not believe Mr Trump will have the same global appeal as Mr Obama. Publishers also reportedly worry that Mr Trump would be a “fact-checking nightmare”.

Textbook Trump... fake boasting (claiming unknown publishers wanted to work with him), and Trump lashing out (calling them "sleazebags").

This will doubly hurt, since even Kushner is getting a book deal...

Jared Kushner, son-in-law of former U.S. President Donald Trump and a senior adviser in his administration, has reached a deal to write a book billed by his publisher as the "definitive" recounting of Trump's presidency.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 07:21 AM   #202
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Trump the 'author'...

... Trump has lashed out at the publishing industry, calling them “sleezebags” following ongoing reports that he can’t secure a book deal following his controversial time in office....Mr Trump is becoming incredibly frustrated by the fact that those around him, including his former vice president Mike Pence, have secured deals....Mr Trump responded to the swirling rumours, saying that he had “turned down two book deals"...several publishers also told the news agency that they did not believe Mr Trump will have the same global appeal as Mr Obama. Publishers also reportedly worry that Mr Trump would be a “fact-checking nightmare”.

Textbook Trump... fake boasting (claiming unknown publishers wanted to work with him), and Trump lashing out (calling them "sleazebags").

This will doubly hurt, since even Kushner is getting a book deal...

Jared Kushner, son-in-law of former U.S. President Donald Trump and a senior adviser in his administration, has reached a deal to write a book billed by his publisher as the "definitive" recounting of Trump's presidency.
Has he even secured the services of a competent ghost-writer yet? Surely there must be one from his entourage or followers who is not crazy, can write competent English, has the hide of a hippo to weather his ranting, and has zero scruples about getting regular pay from T****...

...Oh I see. That's a null set.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 07:26 AM   #203
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

They all demand to be paid in advance, something Trump never does. They know he will stiff them.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 07:26 AM   #204
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Has he even secured the services of a competent ghost-writer yet? Surely there must be one from his entourage or followers who is not crazy, can write competent English, has the hide of a hippo to weather his ranting, and has zero scruples about getting regular pay from T****...

I think the trouble might be they worry that "regular pay" might not be forthcoming.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 07:34 AM   #205
Worm
Illuminator

I'm not sure what the law is like in the US regarding libel, defamation etc. - does Trump's usual nonsense bring extra problems for the publisher once it is committed to the page?

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 07:43 AM   #206
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
I'm not sure what the law is like in the US regarding libel, defamation etc. - does Trump's usual nonsense bring extra problems for the publisher once it is committed to the page?
Yeah but in anything the President did while in office is this MASSIVE (understatement) legal quagmire.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 08:05 AM   #207
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Worm View Post

Were I a publisher with some money to burn, I'd buy Trump's book - and publish it as fiction.
Old 16th June 2021, 09:36 AM   #208
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Were I a publisher with some money to burn, I'd buy Trump's book - and publish it as fiction.
Or do what his buddy at the National Enquirer did with the stories from his woman acquaintances:

Buy it and Bury It.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 09:43 AM   #209
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump is clearly demanding too much money for the book, and refuses responsibility for the predictable defamation that he will have someone write.
Old 16th June 2021, 09:57 AM   #210
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, I could do that. But no NDA, and payment up front, in Cash.... So guess it's a no-starter.

Hans
Old 16th June 2021, 10:04 AM   #211
eerok
Quixoticist

After Trump's years of Twitterrhea, there's nothing to put into a book that everyone hasn't rolled their eyes at already.

Last edited by eerok; 16th June 2021 at 11:15 AM.
eerok is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 10:16 AM   #212
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Probably not. But the business I would see as ghostwriter would be the book about writing for T****. Hence the "no NDA"

Hans
Old 16th June 2021, 11:44 AM   #213
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
After Trump's years of Twitterrhea, there's nothing to put into a book that everyone hasn't rolled their eyes at already.
Thanks for my first laugh of the day.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 09:30 PM   #214
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

The guy who wrote “the Art of the Deal” can’t get a satisfactory book deal.

Well, that must be awkward.
Old 16th June 2021, 09:33 PM   #215
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

Great artists often suffer. Alas.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2021, 09:56 PM   #216
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

He probably can't get a skilled ghostwriter willing to sign the kind of NDA Trump wants.
Every Trump ghostwriter is hoping to write their own Trump book.
Old 16th June 2021, 09:59 PM   #217
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Even that would require some sort of literary competence to induce people to buy.
Old 17th June 2021, 06:21 AM   #218
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Even that would require some sort of literary competence to induce people to buy.
Have you considered the target audience?
Old 17th June 2021, 06:27 AM   #219
Belz...
Fiend God

He didn't write it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 06:40 AM   #220
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
He probably can't get a skilled ghostwriter willing to sign the kind of NDA Trump wants.
Every Trump ghostwriter is hoping to write their own Trump book.

...it turns out the NDA is so restrictive, they can't even publish the book Trump "wrote"...
Old 17th June 2021, 07:00 AM   #221
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder what would happen if Stubby McBonespurs actually did get a ghost writer to write some sort of book...

After all, the person who actually wrote "Art of the Deal" (Tony Schwartz) has condemned Trump, and claimed that writing the book was the biggest regret of his life. Would some ghost writer for "How I scammed a nation and played golf on the taxpayer's dime for 4 years" turn around a few years later and point out similar problems?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 07:02 AM   #222
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Also when Tony Schwartz wrote (apparently with almost no actual functional writing input from Trump) the Art of the Deal he didn't have to worry about writing what will amount to a confession ala O.J's "If I Did It."

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 07:45 AM   #223
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

The biggest problem will be that now everybody is familiar with Trump's own "writing", so anything other than that will be impossible to pass off as if it were his, but the real thing isn't something anybody would want to read a book full of.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 08:54 AM   #224
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
He didn't write it.
Yes.
I assumed that that fact was so widely known that I didn’t need to put quotes around wrote. As JoeMorgue pointed out, Mr. Chucklehead didn’t even understand that he needed to speak for more than 15 minutes in order for a ghost writer to produce a book. I would be amazed to the point of speechlessness if I learned that Trump read the finished book.
Old 17th June 2021, 09:00 AM   #225
Belz...
Fiend God

Yes.
I assumed that that fact was so widely known that I didn’t need to put quotes around wrote. As JoeMorgue pointed out, Mr. Chucklehead didn’t even understand that he needed to speak for more than 15 minutes in order for a ghost writer to produce a book. I would be amazed to the point of speechlessness if I learned that Trump read the finished book.
Well, he is an idiot (Trump, not Joe).

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 09:04 AM   #226
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I would be tickled to death if I learned that “Whose Boat Is This Boat? Comments That Don’t Help in the Aftermath of a Hurricane” (a children’s picture book (published by Stephen Colbert and his staff) made entirely of quotations from President Donald Trump in the wake of Hurricane Florence) outsold anything that comes from Creepy Mc ****face from this point on.
Old 17th June 2021, 09:53 AM   #227
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tried to use the Justice Department to support his "stop the steal" claims.
Quote:
In the last weeks of 2020 and the first of 2021, the demands from Trump and his allies pushed the department to the brink of crisis. Though most scoffed at their increasingly far-fetched and desperate claims, one relatively high-ranking Justice Department lawyer seemed to entertain Trump’s requests — pushing internally to have the department assert that fraud in Georgia was cause for that state’s lawmakers to disregard its election results and appoint new electors. Trump contemplated installing him as attorney general, as other Justice Department leaders considered resigning en masse.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2020-election/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 10:01 AM   #228
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Has he even secured the services of a competent ghost-writer yet?
I saw something the other day where he claimed to be writing his own stuff.

Undoubtedly, that's the reason he can't get a book deal. They know he can't create a coherent thought and, what thoughts he does have, he can't write in any coherent way.

His work will be editors' nightmares, in terms of content (lies), construction (rambling) and likely grammar.

And they don't accept books written in Sharpies.
Old 17th June 2021, 10:03 AM   #229
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
He didn't write it.
Aw, come on! Trump only met with Schwartz once or twice...hardly knew the guy. He only got Trump some covfefe a couple times while the future POTUS was writing like 18-20 hours a day.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 10:40 AM   #230
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
His work will be editors' nightmares, in terms of content (lies), construction (rambling) and likely grammar.

And they don't accept books written in Sharpies.

Offer him a special publication deal, a la David Mitchell's take on professional sign writers:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

"Okay, Mr. Trump, we'll publish it exactly like you've written it there!"
Old 17th June 2021, 10:42 AM   #231
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Aw, come on! Trump only met with Schwartz once or twice...hardly knew the guy. He only got Trump some covfefe a couple times while the future POTUS was writing like 18-20 hours a day.
That coffee boy joke will never get old. It's such a transparent lie, like the "Tim Apple" one, that it's both depressing and hilarious that his sycophants and cultists lap it up.

Old 17th June 2021, 12:24 PM   #232
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Windmills, the most prolific killers of our time, they "kill everything"!

"Ostensibly showing up on pal Sean Hannity’s Fox News show Wednesday night to discuss the recent summit between Russian President Vladimir Putin and President Joe Biden, former President Donald Trump instead spent much of his time grumbling about the thing he hates most: windmills!"

"Over the years, Trump has obsessively railed against wind turbines, accusing them of causing cancer, killing birds, and being just plain ugly. That obsession hit the next level on Wednesday night. “They’re making windmills all over the place. They kill our land and kill our birds. They kill everything,”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...ticles&via=rss
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 12:40 PM   #233
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump's other pal, Tucker Carlson, claimed on his show last night that the Jan. 6 insurrection was planned by the FBI:
Quote:

In his most severe rewriting of history on the January 6 insurrection at the US Capitol, Fox News opinion host Tucker Carlson baselessly claimed the riot was organized by the FBI.

"They were almost certainly working for the FBI, so FBI operatives were organizing the attack at the Capitol on January 6, according to government documents," Carlson said without showing said documents.

Carlson, the most watched host on Fox News, was referring to the latest indictments handed out in the FBI's investigation of the siege.

His claim relies solely on assuming that anyone listed anonymously as an "unindicted co-conspirator" must have been an FBI agent. Carlson went even further to claim the agents plotted the attack, implying it may not have happened without them.
Quote:
"It turns out that this 'white supremacist insurrection' was — again, by the government's own admission in these documents — organized by government agents," Carlson said, raising the tone of his voice to convey that he was not serious in describing January 6 as a white supremacist insurrection.

He played a clip from Wray's testimony on Capitol Hill where he said the FBI is focused on getting "better sources, better information, better analysis" from white supremacist groups to prevent another insurrection from happening.

Although Carlson kept referring to "government documents," he did not show any on screen.
Quote:
Rather than showing the indictments or background information on undercover sourcing in federal investigations, Carlson relied on the Revolver post* and citing his usual "they," a cabal of government and media elites looking to deceive his viewers.
*Revolver is an extreme right wing website endorsed by Trump.
https://www.revolver.news/2021/06/fe...ing-questions/
Old 17th June 2021, 05:06 PM   #234
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Sometimes Trump's weirdly obscure obsessions that he brings up when nobody asked about them remind me of the way Tinkerbell and other fairies were described when they were introduced in Peter Pan: a brain so small it couldn't contain very many different ideas.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 06:34 PM   #235
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't know whether to post this here or in the post-Trump fascist thread but decide here since it has to do with the election and The Big Lie.

CNN did an in-depth look at who the Cyber Ninjas, the group hired to conduct the AZ Republicans' so-called audit. Sure, we knew they had no experience in auditing elections and the owner, Doug Logan, is a Trumper who supports the Big Lie. But it's even worse than we thought. Their 'office' is a post office box at a UPS store. Even Logan's friend of 15 years thinks "he's nuts".

Quote:
Cyber Ninjas exists mostly in virtual reality, with its chief executive, Doug Logan, also serving as, well, pretty much everything.
Quote:
At that conference, he refused to answer questions about how he'd repeated and amplified various debunked election-fraud conspiracy theories on social media, such as this retweet unearthed by the Arizona Mirror, for example: "I'm tired of hearing people say there was no fraud. It happened, it's real, and people better get wise fast." He'd also provided, in a Michigan election lawsuit, an affidavit alleging vulnerabilities in one county's system for tallying votes; state and county officials disagreed, identified a slew of problems with the analysis. And Logan repeated disproven claims in a paper he wrote for Republican US senators objecting to Congress's Jan. 6 certification of President Joe Biden's election win.
Quote:
"It's hard to say anything bad about the guy. He's a lovely person. He's just nuts now," said Tony Summerlin, who has been friends with Logan for 15 years, and said he helped him win a cybersecurity contract with the Federal Communications Commission five years ago. "It's scary; because if someone like him can turn into this, who can't turn into this?"
Quote:
Another friend of Logan, who asked not to be named because she works with both Republicans and Democrats in Washington, DC, and feared blowback from being linked to him, described him as very smart, very competent in cybersecurity, and politically naïve. "Doug may not have thought it all the way through," she said.
Quote:
But also in November, within days of Trump's election loss, Logan was messaging Ron Watkins. The recent HBO documentary "Q: Into the Storm," pointed to Watkins as either being "Q" or at least a key promulgator of the QAnon conspiracy theories that helped animate many of those who stormed the US Capitol on Jan. 6.

In a series of archived tweets from a now-deleted account between Nov. 12 and December, first reported by The Daily Beast, Logan messaged Watkins, "I'd love to chat if you have a chance;" asked Watkins for links to "original source documents;" and tagged Watkins on his exchanges with attorneys Sidney Powell and Lin Wood, who filed numerous lawsuits challenging Biden's victory and baselessly claiming electoral fraud.

Wood also told a reporter for Talking Points Memo that Logan had visited his home in South Carolina to meet with others "working on the investigation into election fraud."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/17/polit...nvs/index.html

One has to ask ( insert sarcasm here) exactly why this 'company' was hired to conduct a so-called audit.
Old 17th June 2021, 09:32 PM   #236
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't know whether to post this here or in the post-Trump fascist thread but decide here since it has to do with the election and The Big Lie.
<snip>
fyi -- if you highlight everything, you highlight nothing.
Old 17th June 2021, 09:40 PM   #237
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump could release a completely blank book, and it would top the Bestseller lists, because conservative groups would buy them in bulk at exactly the same time and then find a storage locker to dump them, as they have done for so many right-wingers in the past.
Old 17th June 2021, 09:51 PM   #238
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Trump could release a completely blank book, and it would top the Bestseller lists, because conservative groups would buy them in bulk at exactly the same time and then find a storage locker to dump them, as they have done for so many right-wingers in the past.
Why not. He's done that before.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 10:03 PM   #239
dirtywick
Illuminator

CNN did an in-depth look at who the Cyber Ninjas, the group hired to conduct the AZ Republicans' so-called audit. Sure, we knew they had no experience in auditing elections and the owner, Doug Logan, is a Trumper who supports the Big Lie. But it's even worse than we thought. Their 'office' is a post office box at a UPS store. Even Logan's friend of 15 years thinks "he's nuts".

[/hilite]
https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/17/polit...nvs/index.html

One has to ask ( insert sarcasm here) exactly why this 'company' was hired to conduct a so-called audit.
I have to tell you, Ron Watkins name comes up in all this so often, it's actually pretty impressive. It's a lot of other things also, like horrifying, but still have to give the guy some credit. For a time, and maybe even still, he's one of the most influential people in American politics. He's like an even more crazy Steve Bannon.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2021, 11:04 PM   #240
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Actually those right wing writers buy a couple thousand copies of their own books to make it look like they wrote a best seller.

For example: WA Po 2019: Donald Trump Jr. thanked the ‘Deplorables’ for making him a bestselling author. The RNC spent $94,800 on his book.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics