IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 17th June 2021, 11:52 PM   #241
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

The musings of Trump:

"Amid a rambling, off-the-rails phone interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News, former President Donald Trump finally admitted a critical fact: “We didn’t win.”

"Trump told Hannity Wednesday night: “Shockingly, we were supposed to win easily at 64 million votes, and we got 75 million votes, and we didn’t win. But let’s see what happens on that.”

"He also claimed he was subjected to “unfair” investigation “after investigation” while in office and complained to Hannity that Chevrolets aren’t being purchased in Berlin or Paris."

"Trump also boasted that “nobody did as good a job with the pandemic as we did.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/long-last-...004653164.html
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 12:42 AM   #242
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
fyi -- if you highlight everything, you highlight nothing.
Thanks for your input. It's interesting that's all you've got to say about my post.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 18th June 2021 at 12:46 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 02:14 AM   #243
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Thanks for your input. It's interesting that's all you've got to say about my post.
No. It's not.
Old 18th June 2021, 03:04 AM   #244
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Trump could release a completely blank book, and it would top the Bestseller lists, because conservative groups would buy them in bulk at exactly the same time and then find a storage locker to dump them, as they have done for so many right-wingers in the past.
That would be the ultimate incarnation of the "how to get rich quick" books, the answer of which is always "by selling books to rubes who want to get rich quick".

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 03:05 AM   #245
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
The musings of Trump:

"Amid a rambling, off-the-rails phone interview with Sean Hannity on Fox News, former President Donald Trump finally admitted a critical fact: “We didn’t win.”
Caught that too, did you? To me it's further indication that The Big Lie is just a grift. I'd normally say "and not a very good one", but it clearly works.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 03:33 AM   #246
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Caught that too, did you? To me it's further indication that The Big Lie is just a grift. I'd normally say "and not a very good one", but it clearly works.
It just shows how stupid Trump is.

"I won with 62.98 million votes last time so how could I not have won this time when I got 74.2 million votes?" He can't understand that and it's not his mental illness it's simply his stupidity.
Old 18th June 2021, 04:06 AM   #247
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It just shows how stupid Trump is.

"I won with 62.98 million votes last time so how could I not have won this time when I got 74.2 million votes?" He can't understand that and it's not his mental illness it's simply his stupidity.
There's a lot of other stupid following him, because they can't understand any of this either.

Old 18th June 2021, 05:14 AM   #248
SteveAitch
Critical Thinker

Trump could release a completely blank book, and it would top the Bestseller lists, because conservative groups would buy them in bulk at exactly the same time and then find a storage locker to dump them, as they have done for so many right-wingers in the past.
Well, I once bought a book entitled "What Men Know About Women" for Christmas. It was a nicely bound paperback with a couple of hundred blank pages.

I'm sure someone could think up a suitable title for a similar Trump volume...

Some people call me 'strange'. I prefer 'unconventional'. But I'm willing to compromise and accept 'eccentric'...
SteveAitch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 05:28 AM   #249
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by SteveAitch View Post
Well, I once bought a book entitled "What Men Know About Women" for Christmas. It was a nicely bound paperback with a couple of hundred blank pages.

I'm sure someone could think up a suitable title for a similar Trump volume...
"A comprehensive guide to the ways in which Trump made America a Better Place"
Old 18th June 2021, 05:38 AM   #250
Mumbles
Philosopher

Turns out the civil rights lawyer that the goons in Michigan went to to overturn election results may be in a bit of trouble. Every lawyer who signed pretty much any related document should probably show up for the sanctions hearing judgeParker set up for July 6th (apparently there are three separate filings for sanctions).

Or, as Judge Parker writes, "IT IS SO ORDERED."
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 05:38 AM   #251
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

"A comprehensive guide to the ways in which Trump made America a Better Place"
Unabridged....
Old 18th June 2021, 08:30 AM   #252
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
I would be tickled to death if I learned that “Whose Boat Is This Boat? Comments That Don’t Help in the Aftermath of a Hurricane” (a children’s picture book (published by Stephen Colbert and his staff) made entirely of quotations from President Donald Trump in the wake of Hurricane Florence) outsold anything that comes from Creepy Mc ****face from this point on.
Missed that one myself.
Wouldn't be surprised if T's issue is money, thinking he'd dictate for a week and get $30 million. And the houses are saying more like... $400,000 advance and 60 cents per copy sold, you prepay the ghostwriter.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 08:35 AM   #253
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Aw, come on! Trump only met with Schwartz once or twice...hardly knew the guy. He only got Trump some covfefe a couple times while the future POTUS was writing like 18-20 hours a day.
C'mon... T only needs like 4 hours sleep. And most of that seems to be after the sun has come up. Why he's a regular superma...

Uh, sorry. I didn't say anything. Gotta go.

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 09:00 AM   #254
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I replied to one above about this... you're half right, it happens. But I think T needs guarantees that would require many millions of 'trashed' printings. I don't think any group can provide that.
It's the only reason I can figure he can't find a willing house... no guaranteed payout.

Old 18th June 2021, 09:03 AM   #255
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I can't view that until later when I get higher throughput for the vids and pics. Sorry (crap Verizon plan on Visable).

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 18th June 2021 at 09:17 AM.
Old 18th June 2021, 09:12 AM   #256
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

That would be the ultimate incarnation of the "how to get rich quick" books, the answer of which is always "by selling books to rubes who want to get rich quick".
Like posing with a couple bikini "models" by the [rented] supercars in front of the [rented] mansion to promote your "Get Rich in Real Estate" plan (with easy payment schedule) ?
Who was that asian late night infomercial jackhole?
(One of the "magnetic" or "chipped" bracelet scammers lived ~9 houses away for a while. I joked here that I could hit his house with a rock. A grenade would have been more to my liking [no, I wouldn't]. )

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 18th June 2021 at 09:21 AM.
Old 18th June 2021, 11:01 AM   #257
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
Like posing with a couple bikini "models" by the [rented] supercars in front of the [rented] mansion to promote your "Get Rich in Real Estate" plan (with easy payment schedule) ?
Who was that asian late night infomercial jackhole?
Tom Vu. Who has since gone in to be a relatively successful professional poker player.

ETA: You can find samples of his infomercials on YouTube, in all their cheezy glory, complete with the random bikini-wearing women (who have no lines), and testimonials from his "students" who claim became rich using his scheme.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 18th June 2021 at 11:23 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 11:04 AM   #258
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
No. It's not.
You made no other comment than to criticize my use of highlighting. I find that interesting. Would you now like to dispute what I find interesting?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2021, 11:18 AM   #259
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Tom Vu. Who has since gone in to be a relatively successful professional poker player.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk
Thanks. A blast from the past.

Old 18th June 2021, 11:50 AM   #260
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Turns out the civil rights lawyer that the goons in Michigan went to to overturn election results may be in a bit of trouble. Every lawyer who signed pretty much any related document should probably show up for the sanctions hearing judgeParker set up for July 6th (apparently there are three separate filings for sanctions).

Or, as Judge Parker writes, "IT IS SO ORDERED."
About time these jerks get sanctioned...if not worse.
Old 18th June 2021, 09:04 PM   #261
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
The musings of Trump:

"Trump told Hannity Wednesday night: “Shockingly, we were supposed to win easily at 64 million votes, and we got 75 million votes, and we didn’t win. But let’s see what happens on that.”

"He also claimed he was subjected to “unfair” investigation “after investigation” while in office and complained to Hannity that Chevrolets aren’t being purchased in Berlin or Paris."

"Trump also boasted that “nobody did as good a job with the pandemic as we did.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/long-last-...004653164.html
Yes. Let’s see what happens with that.
After all the idea that the only the person who won the election should hold office is so provincial.
Old 18th June 2021, 09:14 PM   #262
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Missed that one myself.
Wouldn't be surprised if T's issue is money, thinking he'd dictate for a week and get $30 million. And the houses are saying more like... $400,000 advance and 60 cents per copy sold, you prepay the ghostwriter.
Am I being overly cynical when I assume that if President Chucklehead did sign such a deal, then after
two days, he would get bored, tell the writer that he had produced enough material, and then walk
away with the unshakeable belief that he understood hard work more than anyone in the world?
Old 18th June 2021, 09:22 PM   #263
Susheel
Master Poster

I replied to one above about this... you're half right, it happens. But I think T needs guarantees that would require many millions of 'trashed' printings. I don't think any group can provide that.
It's the only reason I can figure he can't find a willing house... no guaranteed payout.
I also think that this might have been possible when the marmalade manchild was in power and the Republican party was riding high on cash and people willing to donate to make bulk purcchases. That was how the sprog's book became a bestseller. Now, I don't think Trump has that kind of unbroken support with people willing to part with cash. The Republican Party itself will not wish to get involved with a lot of internal resistance. Also, I don't think the various factions of devotees have that much of spare cash lying around.
Old 19th June 2021, 02:39 PM   #264
dirtywick
Illuminator

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

OK, this and every headline I see that involves him and some others losing large amounts of money gives me a lot of personal satisfaction. But I think it also speaks to the effects of a complete lack of government coordination. They asked and trusted the private market to step in and do the government's job, and now a lot of companies are suffering because of over forecasting and demand cratering.

Next time you're at a store and they're short or out of something you want, just think about how a lot of companies switched their production over to help in a pandemic, over produced, and now there's warehouses full of products people don't want taking up space that could be filled with things they do want. And how manufacturers can't ship the goods you do want to the retailers because there's no where to put it. Logistics are a mess across the country right now, and I believe this is why.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2021, 03:20 PM   #265
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Georgia's Secretary of State says more than 100,000 names will be removed from state's voter record

This mass removal, or voter "purge," mainly targeted those who filled out a change of address form (about 67,000) or had election mail returned (about 34,000), the AP reported. Voters can also be purged if they are declared "inactive" meaning they have not participated in an election in a certain number of years.

The purge accounts for 1.3% of the state's 7.8 million registered voters, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported. Eligible voters who are removed can re-register to vote.

"Making sure Georgia's voter rolls are up to date is key to ensuring the integrity of our elections," Raffensperger said in a statement. "That is why I fought and beat Stacey Abrams in court in 2019 to remove nearly 300,000 obsolete voter files before the November election, and will do so again this year. Bottom line, there is no legitimate reason to keep ineligible voters on the rolls."

https://businessinsider.com/georgia-...-record-2021-6
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2021, 03:24 PM   #266
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

OK, this and every headline I see that involves him and some others losing large amounts of money gives me a lot of personal satisfaction. But I think it also speaks to the effects of a complete lack of government coordination. They asked and trusted the private market to step in and do the government's job, and now a lot of companies are suffering because of over forecasting and demand cratering.

Next time you're at a store and they're short or out of something you want, just think about how a lot of companies switched their production over to help in a pandemic, over produced, and now there's warehouses full of products people don't want taking up space that could be filled with things they do want. And how manufacturers can't ship the goods you do want to the retailers because there's no where to put it. Logistics are a mess across the country right now, and I believe this is why.
Schadenfreude. Love it.

Has the lying SOB thought about donating them to countries in Africa, C. and S. America, and Asia where the pandemic is still raging?
Old 20th June 2021, 04:12 AM   #267
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Georgia's Secretary of State says more than 100,000 names will be removed from state's voter record

This mass removal, or voter "purge," mainly targeted those who filled out a change of address form (about 67,000) or had election mail returned (about 34,000), the AP reported. Voters can also be purged if they are declared "inactive" meaning they have not participated in an election in a certain number of years.

The purge accounts for 1.3% of the state's 7.8 million registered voters, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported. Eligible voters who are removed can re-register to vote.

"Making sure Georgia's voter rolls are up to date is key to ensuring the integrity of our elections," Raffensperger said in a statement. "That is why I fought and beat Stacey Abrams in court in 2019 to remove nearly 300,000 obsolete voter files before the November election, and will do so again this year. Bottom line, there is no legitimate reason to keep ineligible voters on the rolls."

Betting that Stacy Abrams will have 150,000 genuine voter registrations added in short order. Probably the same people Raffensberger will have just removed.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 05:17 AM   #268
Belz...
Fiend God

That is so weird to me, as a Canadian. I'm _always_ registered to vote, ever since I turned 18. I didn't even have to do anything. I don't even need ID when I go vote.

Quote:
"Bottom line, there is no legitimate reason to keep ineligible voters on the rolls."
Again, weird. Who's ineligible, except kids and non-citizens?

Last edited by Belz...; 20th June 2021 at 05:18 AM.
Old 20th June 2021, 05:27 AM   #269
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

That is so weird to me, as a Canadian. I'm _always_ registered to vote, ever since I turned 18. I didn't even have to do anything. I don't even need ID when I go vote.

The US is a federation. They vote per state. So you need to be eligible in a particular state.

Hans
Old 20th June 2021, 05:56 AM   #270
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
The US is a federation. They vote per state. So you need to be eligible in a particular state.

Hans
Canada is also a federation, so that changes nothing.

Old 20th June 2021, 06:09 AM   #271
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

The biggest problematic category of ineligibles is likely the "didn't vote for a couple elections, so they were removed on the presumption that they had moved" category. It's a metric that seems to have about 1/3 accuracy and its effects are notably skewed to affect Democrats more. It's not the only state to use that tactic, incidentally, and it's just about always handled in a manner that's not very transparent - which has lead to plenty of cases of outright wrongfully purged names. IIRC, Ohio was an exception a couple of years ago and had made a list available pre-purge. A person did a simple check that compared records and a disturbingly significant percentage of the names on the list should not have been there, with disproportionate numbers of those from Democratic Party leaning counties.

Hardly the only group or set of problems, of course.
Old 20th June 2021, 01:10 PM   #272
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

In some US states people with felony convictions aren't allowed to vote. (See Where People Convicted of Felonies Can Vote in the U.S.[thoughtco.com].) Many have laws saying felons can't vote while in prison, but the right is restored upon completion of the sentence. Others extend the ban to the parole period and probation.

Eleven states—Alabama, Arizona, Delaware, Florida, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, Nebraska, Tennessee, Virginia, and Wyoming—have more or less permanent restrictions on people with felony convictions from voting. Virginia is working to fix that.

I suspect states have residency requirements as well, otherwise people living near the border of a state could drive across and vote in their neighbouring state's elections.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 01:52 PM   #273
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
I suspect states have residency requirements as well, otherwise people living near the border of a state could drive across and vote in their neighbouring state's elections.
It goes even smaller-scale than that. You're not allowed to vote in different counties or in some other town's elections in the same county either. That's why voter registration lists exist: you're only supposed to vote in one place, so other places shouldn't have you on their lists.

One of the catches with this comes from people who don't bother de-registering from one place when they move to another, which is practically everybody. So the only way for any particular voting site to avoid accepting votes from people who don't live there anymore is to have some way to conclude that they don't live there anymore without being told.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 03:02 PM   #274
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

How do they make sure you only vote in your province, town, parliamentary district etc.?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 03:40 PM   #275
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Actually kind of good that this is happening so soon in election cycles. A nastier trick would be to do this closer to a major election, before there's time for an organized effort to encourage people to check and correct their registration status.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 04:15 PM   #276
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
How do they make sure you only vote in your province, town, parliamentary district etc.?
Your polling place is determined for you based on the data in your registration.

If you show up at a different polling place, you will not be on their list. They will direct you to your polling place. You may request a provisional ballot, but it likely will have some issues from your correct jurisdiction missing/issues outside your jurisdiction will be invalidated. You may have to return to an election authority office within a few days to prove your residency in the jurisdiction you claimed to live in or the entire provisional ballot will be invalidated.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 04:18 PM   #277
dmaker
Graduate Poster

The former guy's Fathers Day message:

"Happy Father’s Day to all, including the Radical Left, RINOs, and other Losers of the world. Hopefully, eventually, everyone will come together!"

Stay classy, TFG.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 04:22 PM   #278
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Actually kind of good that this is happening so soon in election cycles. A nastier trick would be to do this closer to a major election, before there's time for an organized effort to encourage people to check and correct their registration status.
True, but how many people know to check their registration status when they assume, as most people do, that they are registered if they've voted before and haven't moved? Even some who have moved may not know to register again.

Before either the 2020 or 2016 election (I've forgotten which), I heard about checking your registration so I checked my, my husband's and my daughter's status. My daughter and I were still registered but for some reason, my husband was not. We've lived in the same house for over 20 years so he had not moved and had voted in all Federal and State elections. Thankfully, he easily re-registered online in time for the election.
Old 20th June 2021, 04:25 PM   #279
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dmaker View Post
The former guy's Fathers Day message:

"Happy Father’s Day to all, including the Radical Left, RINOs, and other Losers of the world. Hopefully, eventually, everyone will come together!"

Stay classy, TFG.
"Class" and "Trump" are antonymous.
Old 20th June 2021, 04:31 PM   #280
eerok
Quixoticist

"Class" and "Trump" are antonymous.
For someone who cares so much about his brand, Trump is pretty trashy in every important sense. It's all part of the grift mentality, I guess.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics