IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 20th June 2021, 04:31 PM   #281
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
True, but how many people know to check their registration status when they assume, as most people do, that they are registered if they've voted before and haven't moved? Even some who have moved may not know to register again.

Before either the 2020 or 2016 election (I've forgotten which), I heard about checking your registration so I checked my, my husband's and my daughter's status. My daughter and I were still registered but for some reason, my husband was not. We've lived in the same house for over 20 years so he had not moved and had voted in all Federal and State elections. Thankfully, he easily re-registered online in time for the election.
That somewhat pokes at one of the fundamental issues with voter purges. Lots of people get purged without their knowledge, without valid cause (clerical error, bad local methodology, or otherwise), and without notification (that reaches them, at least). Cleaning the lists is a necessary task, but it seems to inherently come with and manifest more danger to election integrity than voter fraud, by a huge margin. If even a tenth of the focus and resources put on guarding against hypothetical voter fraud was put into dealing with actually getting voter lists right (and not in the excuse for voter suppression sense that the GOP keeps employing), that would be a vastly more effective use of resources.

Last edited by Aridas; 20th June 2021 at 04:35 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 04:38 PM   #282
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
That somewhat pokes at one of the fundamental issues with voter purges. Lots of people get purged without their knowledge, without valid cause (clerical error, bad local methodology, or otherwise), and without notification (that reaches them, at least). Cleaning the lists is a necessary task, but it seems to inherently come with and manifest more danger to election integrity than voter fraud, by a huge margin.
Where I live, I get a card in the mail prior to any election that tells me when and where to vote. This requires zero effort on my part. I don't even have to know what the hell is going on. It shouldn't be a difficult problem.
Old 20th June 2021, 04:41 PM   #283
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
How do they make sure you only vote in your province, town, parliamentary district etc.?

The short answer is, Elections Canada. Note, that's "Canada". We don't have to register on a provincial, city, county, whatever level. EC has a pretty complete list of who is eligible to vote, and where they live, and it's kept very current, and it's shared with other levels of government. On our Federal tax returns, there's a check box that asks if we'll allow the Canadian Revenue Agency to share our current residence information with EC, which I suspect just about everyone who votes agrees to. Thus, our information is never more than a year old, so the number of people who have moved before an election is pretty small, only those who move in the short window between when they last filed a tax return and the next election. A three or four year gap, or even longer, is essentially impossible.

The last time I had to make an effort to be registered to vote was literally the first election I ever voted in, back in my second year of University in the late 80s. Since then, it's been entirely seamless.

I realize, of course, that this would never work in the US, because Special.
Old 20th June 2021, 04:51 PM   #284
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That somewhat pokes at one of the fundamental issues with voter purges. Lots of people get purged without their knowledge, without valid cause (clerical error, bad local methodology, or otherwise), and without notification (that reaches them, at least). Cleaning the lists is a necessary task, but it seems to inherently come with and manifest more danger to election integrity than voter fraud, by a huge margin. If even a tenth of the focus and resources put on guarding against hypothetical voter fraud was put into dealing with actually getting voter lists right (and not in the excuse for voter suppression sense that the GOP keeps employing), that would be a vastly more effective use of resources.
Agreed. The Dems need to put out TV ads and other media ads telling people to check their registration status. Pastors and priests, especially in Black and Hispanic dominated churches, need to preach this from the pulpit. Hopefully, Stacey Abrams will tackle this.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 04:54 PM   #285
Aridas

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Where I live, I get a card in the mail prior to any election that tells me when and where to vote. This requires zero effort on my part. I don't even have to know what the hell is going on. It shouldn't be a difficult problem.
I'll agree. It shouldn't be a difficult problem. It's the kind of thing that should be able to be dealt with without too much issue, provided that it's actually recognized as an issue and addressed by people who actually want to fix it.

When it comes to recognition, though, I poked at how inaccurate the aforementioned Ohio voter pre-purge list was at the time to a couple Republican friends of mine. The response? At least one of them initially thought that the correctly purged names were of fraudsters, so the large chunk of easily catchable names that were wrongfully on the list were somehow justified, so I ended up needing to correct things from that level. To be clear, these Republican friends are intelligent people. It's just that, like all of us, they have blind spots - blind spots that GOP propagandists do their best to create and exploit for political reasons fairly effectively. Not that Democrats don't try to do similar at times, but... when the GOP has made significant political pushes to put systems into use for what names should be purged that are wrong more than 99% of the time (Crosscheck, for example), there's no reasonable equivalence.

Last edited by Aridas; 20th June 2021 at 05:07 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 04:55 PM   #286
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The short answer is, Elections Canada. Note, that's "Canada". We don't have to register on a provincial, city, county, whatever level. EC has a pretty complete list of who is eligible to vote, and where they live, and it's kept very current, and it's shared with other levels of government. On our Federal tax returns, there's a check box that asks if we'll allow the Canadian Revenue Agency to share our current residence information with EC, which I suspect just about everyone who votes agrees to. Thus, our information is never more than a year old, so the number of people who have moved before an election is pretty small, only those who move in the short window between when they last filed a tax return and the next election. A three or four year gap, or even longer, is essentially impossible.

The last time I had to make an effort to be registered to vote was literally the first election I ever voted in, back in my second year of University in the late 80s. Since then, it's been entirely seamless.

Heck, I registered to vote only once back in the 80's as well. When moving I always file a change of address with both post offices (going to and coming from) as well as with the DMV and all current and future service vendors (power, phone, water, ect). Tough my case may be special since I've always been a registered republication (though I vote for whomever I think is best at the time), so I'm probably not in the target groups. Also I've never moved out of state. Though I have moved between counties. Board of elections successfully sends me a polling place notification card every year.
Old 20th June 2021, 05:31 PM   #287
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

It wasn't here until recently either. It was breakable all along, but breakability didn't matter until one of our major parties decided to break it.

I don't know what you mean by "special", but it would require the Federal government taking over activities that are currently handled at lower levels or dictating to those lower levels how they are to handle those activities. And that kind of thing not only triggers conservatives but also is forbidden in the Constitution.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 06:32 PM   #288
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I don't know what you mean by "special", but it would require the Federal government taking over activities that are currently handled at lower levels or dictating to those lower levels how they are to handle those activities. And that kind of thing not only triggers conservatives but also is forbidden in the Constitution.

See, that's the "special" part.

It actually wouldn't require taking over any "activities", because it's literally just the Federal Government sharing information with the states that they already collect. The IRS communicates with essentially every taxpayer every year, and knows where they live. All they need to do is pass that list on to the state level authorities, and tell them, "This is where all your citizens were living as of Tax Day."

And it's not even a "Freeeedumb!" issue, because, as I indicated, this sharing of information is opt-in. If you're really so paranoid that you think having the IRS send information to your state that makes it easier for you to vote is some sort of problem, you can opt out, and deal with the hassles of registering to vote on your own.

Of course, the real problem is that you have far too many elected officials who don't want to fix the problems, they want to make them worse.
Old 20th June 2021, 06:36 PM   #289
Belz...
Fiend God

The biggest problematic category of ineligibles is likely the "didn't vote for a couple elections, so they were removed on the presumption that they had moved" category. It's a metric that seems to have about 1/3 accuracy and its effects are notably skewed to affect Democrats more.
How so? I assumed this was the case but I can't figure out why.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 20th June 2021 at 06:40 PM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 06:37 PM   #290
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
How do they make sure you only vote in your province, town, parliamentary district etc.?
No need. They give us an address where to go vote. We can't vote anywhere else, assuming we go in person.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 06:43 PM   #291
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Pretty similar here in Aus with our AEC (Australian Electoral Commission), equivalent of Elections Canada. I became eligible to vote when I turned 18 (many moons ago) and was automatically put on the electoral rolls at my parent's home address. My address determined which electorates (federal and state have different electorates) I was in. Whenever we move to another address in the following years, I simply advised the AEC of that new address, and the change to new electorates flowed. End of difficult electoral registration stuff.

This isn't hard because we have one single electoral roll that services federal, state and local government elections. The AEC runs those elections. It is an independent non-political federal body.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 06:48 PM   #292
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob
You don't have to. Absentee voting is simple enough. You are registered in the rolls as residing in a specific electorate. If you rock up to a booth on the other side of the country, let's say, you will be marked off the roll and then given a ballot for your home electorate. And you vote.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 07:01 PM   #293
Aridas

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
How so? I assumed this was the case but I can't figure out why.
It's normally attributed to something of a demographics issue. The age and race groups that tend to lean Democrat also tend to be less politically engaged and vote less often. Thus, those groups are more affected when something that's effectively "use it or lose it" comes into play.
Old 20th June 2021, 07:31 PM   #294
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's normally attributed to something of a demographics issue. The age and race groups that tend to lean Democrat also tend to be less politically engaged and vote less often. Thus, those groups are more affected when something that's effectively "use it or lose it" comes into play.
And don't think the Republicans don't know that!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 08:09 PM   #295
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
You don't have to. Absentee voting is simple enough. You are registered in the rolls as residing in a specific electorate. If you rock up to a booth on the other side of the country, let's say, you will be marked off the roll and then given a ballot for your home electorate. And you vote.
What is this sorcery that is so advanced beyond the capability of American electoral technology?

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 09:02 PM   #296
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

But not exclusively so. I must embarrassingly admit to taking a perverse pleasure when some elderly a Republican skips a couple of elections and then shows up to vote whereupon he is told that he is no longer registered. Hearing about a 60-something Republican standing in a polling place screaming “I risked my life defending America and you’re telling me I cannot vote,” while right-wing poll workers try to explain how he was erroneously caught up in a voter purge is to me a wonderful karmic circle.
Old 20th June 2021, 09:28 PM   #297
Aridas

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
But not exclusively so. I must embarrassingly admit to taking a perverse pleasure when some elderly a Republican skips a couple of elections and then shows up to vote whereupon he is told that he is no longer registered. Hearing about a 60-something Republican standing in a polling place screaming “I risked my life defending America and you’re telling me I cannot vote,” while right-wing poll workers try to explain how he was erroneously caught up in a voter purge is to me a wonderful karmic circle.
Indeed. I put it as more affected by because of that. Lots of Republicans are also affected, even if it's not as many as the number of Democrats that are affected. Like so many other measures put into play by Republicans, it's all about maintaining and increasing structural power advantages for Republicans, not upholding any actual principles. The attacks on voting by mail, frequently by the exact same people who were pushing to expand it when the data was showing that it advantaged them, are much the same.

Last edited by Aridas; 20th June 2021 at 09:35 PM.
Old 20th June 2021, 09:51 PM   #298
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If you rock up to a booth on the other side of the country, let's say, you will be marked off the roll and then given a ballot for your home electorate. And you vote.
So that's what's been going wrong here! All this time we should have been rocking, and we've been jazzing & ambienting!

The age and race groups that tend to lean Democrat also tend to be less politically engaged and vote less often. Thus, those groups are more affected when something that's effectively "use it or lose it" comes into play.
They're also more likely to rent their homes instead of buying them, which makes one more likely to move more often.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2021, 11:20 PM   #299
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Here in the UK you're regularly sent a form from the electoral commission which lists those at your address who are on the electoral roll, and invites you to correct or add to it as required. I've never had to initiate the process of getting reassigned to a new polling station after moving. You then get a card before each election telling you where to vote, which you're advised (but not required) to take with you. Your name is ticked off the list when you turn up.
Old 21st June 2021, 12:20 AM   #300
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
What is this sorcery that is so advanced beyond the capability of American electoral technology?
'Tis this.

https://www.aec.gov.au/Voting/polling.htm
Section on Absent Declaration voting.

And it isn't beyond American electoral technology at all because it is already being done, as we all know. Just that there are moves afoot to limit or even eliminate the ability to postal vote, which is the US solution.
Old 21st June 2021, 02:20 AM   #301
Belz...
Fiend God

Right. It's another principle I don't understand.

Voting is a right, not a privilege.

Quote:
Indeed. I put it as more affected by because of that. Lots of Republicans are also affected, even if it's not as many as the number of Democrats that are affected.
Which is part of the weirdness. In Canada we don't get de-registered or purged ever, and we are encouraged to vote by all political parties.

Last edited by Belz...; 21st June 2021 at 02:22 AM.
Old 21st June 2021, 02:46 AM   #302
Aridas

Which is part of the weirdness. In Canada we don't get de-registered or purged ever, and we are encouraged to vote by all political parties.
It's probably much less weird when one considers some of the US' very long term problems with white supremacy and massive wealth/power disparity that date back at least until the very profitable slavery-based cotton plantations of the southern states and the numerous societal and moral ills that such promoted. Ills that also had consequences like the continued attempts to keep and restore that status quo as much as possible by any means feasible. Voter suppression, in practice, has been a pretty constant feature of US elections for a long time, though not uniformly. Long ago, Southern Democrats were the worst offenders, but after the political realignment that the Civil Rights Movement and the Southern Strategy caused, Republicans absorbed just about all of those actively working to do such.

Last edited by Aridas; 21st June 2021 at 02:50 AM.
Old 21st June 2021, 06:55 AM   #303
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

You poor, naive child.
Old 21st June 2021, 09:04 AM   #304
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Really, what makes the rest of the world different from the US (see what I did there? ), is that the rest of the world have non-partisan, professional public servants in charge of maintaining the electoral rolls, and running the elections. It's their job to make sure the records are up to date, and they are expected to actually do those jobs, regardless of who is in power, or looking to get into power.

What the US needs to do is get over their weird obsession with letting political parties actually have any role in any of this. When the people in charge have their jobs literally because they're Republican or Democrat, its no surprise at all that they see their job as gaming the system, not making the system actually work.

You manage to run most of the rest of the government in a largely non-partisan fashion, so it has to be possible to do the same with elections.
Old 21st June 2021, 09:08 AM   #305
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Wouldn't that include a huge list of people who died or moved?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2021, 09:10 AM   #306
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Wouldn't that include a huge list of people who died or moved?

See my post earlier about how our tax department shares info with Elections Canada. One part of the tax form asks if it's being filled out on behalf of a person who died in that tax year, so I'm pretty sure they'd pass along the information that the person died.
Old 21st June 2021, 09:28 AM   #307
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Really, what makes the rest of the world different from the US (see what I did there? ), is that the rest of the world have non-partisan, professional public servants in charge of maintaining the electoral rolls, and running the elections. It's their job to make sure the records are up to date, and they are expected to actually do those jobs, regardless of who is in power, or looking to get into power.

What the US needs to do is get over their weird obsession with letting political parties actually have any role in any of this. When the people in charge have their jobs literally because they're Republican or Democrat, its no surprise at all that they see their job as gaming the system, not making the system actually work.

You manage to run most of the rest of the government in a largely non-partisan fashion, so it has to be possible to do the same with elections.
We could do that except since at least 2000, the GOP has been targeting state elections to get Republicans installed for the specific purpose of affecting federal elections.

They have used tactics (besides pouring out of state money into local races) like redistricting when it wasn't a census year, voter caging, challenging signatures only in majority Democratic counties, limiting access by limiting voting machines in heavily Democratic areas, purging voter roles, not just of people who didn't vote in previous elections, but also of everyone who had the same name as a prisoner who wasn't allowed to vote, and there are probably more ways I can't think if at the moment.

Campaign-wise the GOP has been courting single issue voters since Reagan. That's how things like outlawing abortion, which the majority in this country believe should be a woman's choice, has become a dominant issue in elections.

And now we've got social media that lends itself to abuse with bots and trolls able to make things look like they are 'trending' when it's really a large volume of false accounts amplifying the messages.

And this is not even getting into the tactics Dump uses to 'primary' candidates and manipulate the news to cover his every utterance among other things.

Until we address this nationally as well as addressing the inequality in Senate representation, we will continue to have tyranny of the minority. And Dump's election was the worst outcome so far but it may not be the last.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 21st June 2021 at 09:30 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2021, 09:33 AM   #308
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It's probably much less weird when one considers some of the US' very long term problems with white supremacy and massive wealth/power disparity that date back at least until the very profitable slavery-based cotton plantations of the southern states and the numerous societal and moral ills that such promoted. Ills that also had consequences like the continued attempts to keep and restore that status quo as much as possible by any means feasible. Voter suppression, in practice, has been a pretty constant feature of US elections for a long time, though not uniformly. Long ago, Southern Democrats were the worst offenders, but after the political realignment that the Civil Rights Movement and the Southern Strategy caused, Republicans absorbed just about all of those actively working to do such.
Try telling that to Republicans who tout themselves as "The Party of Lincoln". What a pile of BS. It's a historical fact that the parties pretty much flipped platforms while keeping their names but Republicans are in such deep denial about this and call it a 'myth'. You'll see this claim in the comments section of the following article which details some of the reasons why Lincoln would not be a Republican today. It was written before the 2016 election and Trump's takeover which makes the article even more true today.

(At a GOP Lincoln Day banquet a speaker proclaims that "the party of Lincoln is marching on to victory with his spirit guiding their footsteps.")

Quote:
Fortified with those words, the party stalwarts depart, carrying away the souvenir crepe paper centerpieces to their foreign made cars. But behind the facade of the Republican party's claim to be the party of Lincoln is the unpleasant but undeniable truth that if Abraham Lincoln were alive today he would be a Democrat. History and his story along with his views on government strongly support it.

Abraham Lincoln was not in fact much of a Republican when he was alive. Lincoln was for most of his life a proud member of the Whig party whose platform of harnessing the power of the government to invest in the public good is not greatly different in substance than of modern mainstream Democrats. As the Whig party fell apart in the 185Os over the issue of the expansion of slavery into Kansas and Nebraska Lincoln tried to hold the party together. In 1854 he ran for the state legislature identifying himself as an Anti-Nebraska Whig. During the campaign a group of Republicans named Lincoln to the central committee of the new party without his consent or knowledge."I have been perplexed some to understand why my name was placed on that committee," he wrote.

In 1856 Lincoln, as recorded in his writings, reluctantly joined the Republican presidential campaign of John Fremont. In the campaign Lincoln preferred to be identified as a Fremont man or simply Anti-Nebraska, still finding the Republican label distasteful. The party was tainted in Lincoln's view by the alliance with the former members of the bigoted American or"Know-Nothing" party whose anti-immigrant rhetoric foreshadowed the far right faction of present day Republicans.

Lincoln ran on a Republican ticket only one time: his 186O election as President. In his famous but unsuccessful campaign for the Senate against Stephen Douglas in 1858 Lincoln technically did not run as a Republican, although he was widely known as their candidate. At that time neither he nor Douglas appeared on the voters' ballots under the old system of indirect selection of Senators by state legislators. Lincoln's last campaign, the re-election in 1864, was under the banner of the Union Party bringing together pro-Union Democrats including vice president Andrew Johnson along with Republicans.

Although the names have remained the same the parties have changed their principles and positions, in many ways flipping to the same degree that regions have flipped their party strengths in the last 150 years. Lincoln's reticence about the Republican party of his day would be more than matched by the sheer rejection the modern GOP would have for a Lincoln living in these times. Lincoln was a deeply devout and spiritual man but was not a churchgoer. On that basis alone the Christian Coalition, which exercises a disproportional power within the Republican party, would effectively veto his chances for public office, distributing fliers in church parking lots denouncing him on the Sunday before the election, much as what happened to John McCain. And what over blown scandal could Ken Starr have made out of Ann Rutledge?

A reincarnated Lincoln would relive part of his past life listening to the states' rights arguments contemporary Republican use against any proposal to help working families. The man who created the Department of Agriculture would recoil at the anti-government diatribes of House Republicans. The president who levied an income tax on the wealthy would have be shocked at George W. Bush's disproportionate tax cut to the wealthiest one percent. The chief executive who believed in practical action to regulate the marketplace such as standardizing railroad gauges across the country would face a barrage of paranoia about big government from the right wing think tanks and media. But above all the president who did everything he could to avoid a war would not have sent Americans into battle on false or faulty pretenses based on slanted intelligence.

Everything Lincoln stood for, if stripped of its nineteenth century labels, places him within the modern day Democratic Party. The man who in 1858 spoke of the"eternal struggle" between right and wrong, the"two principles that have stood face to face since the beginning of time...The one is the common right of humanity and the other the divine right of kings," would not be a Republican today. He made his choice long ago. It would not have been for a party that has tarnished and misused his name, and could more accurately call itself the party of Richard Nixon or Trent Lott or Dick Army or Tom Delay or Rush Limbaugh, but not Abraham Lincoln.
The GOP today proudly and loudly calls itself the "Party of Donald Trump" whom Lincoln would have despised as a loudmouthed authoritarian.
Old 21st June 2021, 09:36 AM   #309
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

We could do that except since at least 2000, the GOP has been targeting state elections to get Republicans installed for the specific purpose of affecting federal elections.

They have used tactics (besides pouring out of state money into local races) like redistricting when it wasn't a census year, voter caging, challenging signatures only in majority Democratic counties, limiting access by limiting voting machines in heavily Democratic areas, purging voter roles, not just of people who didn't vote in previous elections, but also of everyone who had the same name as a prisoner who wasn't allowed to vote, and there are probably more ways I can't think if at the moment.

Campaign-wise the GOP has been courting single issue voters since Reagan. That's how things like outlawing abortion, which the majority in this country believe should be a woman's choice, has become a dominant issue in elections.

And now we've got social media that lends itself to abuse with bots and trolls able to make things look like they are 'trending' when it's really a large volume of false accounts amplifying the messages.

And this is not even getting into the tactics Dump uses to 'primary' candidates and manipulate the news to cover his every utterance among other things.

Until we address this nationally as well as addressing the inequality in Senate representation, we will continue to have tyranny of the minority. And Dump's election was the worst outcome so far but it may not be the last.
Well said.
Old 21st June 2021, 11:08 AM   #310
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

You are correct on all counts.
Sadly, I don’t expect that to be addressed in my life time.

The Republicans will be forever creative in their search for rules, loopholes, regulations, and tricks. As well as in their spin to make each of these tactics look patriotic and necessary.
Old 21st June 2021, 11:47 AM   #311
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
You are correct on all counts.
Sadly, I don’t expect that to be addressed in my life time.

The Republicans will be forever creative in their search for rules, loopholes, regulations, and tricks. As well as in their spin to make each of these tactics look patriotic and necessary.
As if on cue: 'An abysmally stupid move': Democrats complain the party is botching the nationwide redistricting battle
Quote:
Over the last decade, Democrats in key states have relinquished control of redistricting to "independent commissions ... free of partisan interference," a decision made for the sake of "good government" that could, however, affect the left's ability to hold onto their majority in 2022, Politico writes.

Despite agreeing that redistricting reform is needed, Rep. Gerry Connolly (D-Va.) added that Republicans are "carving up left and right" in rabidly partisan states, while Democrats, rather, are "unilaterally disarming," per Politico.
Old 21st June 2021, 02:56 PM   #312
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

For someone who cares so much about his brand, Trump is pretty trashy in every important sense. It's all part of the grift mentality, I guess.

"Trashy" is and always has been Trump's brand. He hustles trash adorned with a little bit of cheap glitter, glued on with Elmer's Glue and spit. From rentals, to TV shows, to steaks and diplomas and airplanes. All the way to the White House.

And it's a strategy which has always worked. Just check out late-night TV ads.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2021, 06:34 PM   #313
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Trump proposed sending Americans with Covid to Guantánamo, book claims.
Quote:
...at a meeting in the White House Situation Room in February last year, before the onset of the pandemic in which more than 600,000 have now died in the US, Trump asked aides: “Don’t we have an island that we own? What about Guantánamo?”

Trump also reportedly said: “We import goods. We are not going to import a virus.”

The reporters write that aides blocked the idea when Trump brought it up again.
And this gem.

Quote:
According to the Post, among scenes reported by Abutaleb and Paletta, Trump is depicted in March 2020 shouting at his health secretary, Alex Azar: “Testing is killing me!”

Cases of Covid-19 were mounting at the time, with states entering lockdowns amid public confusion and fear.

“I’m going to lose the election because of testing!” Trump reportedly yelled. “What idiot had the federal government do testing?”

“Uh, do you mean Jared?” Azar is reported to have answered, referring to Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and chief adviser who was in charge of testing.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ected-patients
Old 21st June 2021, 06:37 PM   #314
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
"Trashy" is and always has been Trump's brand. He hustles trash adorned with a little bit of cheap glitter, glued on with Elmer's Glue and spit. From rentals, to TV shows, to steaks and diplomas and airplanes. All the way to the White House.

And it's a strategy which has always worked. Just check out late-night TV ads.
Trashy Trump attracts trashy supporters. Have you seen his rally attendees?
Old 21st June 2021, 06:40 PM   #315
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump asked aides: “Don’t we have an island that we own? What about Guantánamo?”
Maybe he was thinking of Molokai.
Old 21st June 2021, 06:41 PM   #316
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Or Greenland.
Old 21st June 2021, 07:09 PM   #317
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure Disaster Don thinks that's a fruit cocktail with an umbrella in it.
Old 21st June 2021, 08:28 PM   #318
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Or Greenland.
<sticks a cigar between his clenched teeth and chomps down on it, giving a double quote sign>

"Australia!"
Old 21st June 2021, 08:38 PM   #319
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

<sticks a cigar between his clenched teeth and chomps down on it, giving a double quote sign>

"Australia!"
You just needed "Tasmania" and "Norfolk Island" and you would have won the complete prize pool!
Old 22nd June 2021, 12:01 AM   #320
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Lincoln Project has a new Dump ad out.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics