IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , GETTR , social media , social media issues

Old 4th July 2021, 07:28 PM   #41
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
It's not hard to imagine a new venture like this having startup woes, right?
The opposite, in the real world - a startup having the level of screw-up GETTR has is unacceptable, and unknown among successful startups.

Building a brand requires meticulous planning and testing, neither of which appears to be the case with GETTR.

There are a ton of valid reasons to bash this effort, but that is pretty low on my list, tbh.
Whereas I think it's number one - a new site, opposing Twitter, would want to be in tip-top condition from the first second.

I have finally been able to register, and the numbers are much less than ordinary.

The only person posting seems to be Jason Miller, and some of his posts have been re-posted in the tens of times.

Pathetic.
Old 4th July 2021, 07:36 PM   #42
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Whereas I think it's number one - a new site, opposing Twitter, would want to be in tip-top condition from the first second.
I guess I don't even find their rhetoric about opposing Twitter to be remotely credible. In fact, I find it laughable. So my expectations are pretty low.
Old 4th July 2021, 08:26 PM   #43
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

So my expectations are pretty low.
Looks to have been wise.
Old 4th July 2021, 08:37 PM   #44
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
In a few weeks it'll be FORGETTR.
shouldn't that be 4GETTR, shortly to be replaced by 8GETTR.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2021, 08:57 PM   #45
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Nobody but me seems to be reminded of the reactions when the Obamacare website had problems at first too.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2021, 09:01 PM   #46
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Nobody but me seems to be reminded of the reactions when the Obamacare website had problems at first too.
That was a Governmental paid-for site that was trying to serve multiple states and different insurance options for millions of people, not a private social media site with a few hundred users that wants to compete with Twitter.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 04:17 AM   #47
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
That was a Governmental paid-for site that was trying to serve multiple states and different insurance options for millions of people, not a private social media site with a few hundred users that wants to compete with Twitter.
Agree, a ridiculous comparison, but at least it moved the discussion away from GETTR and to Obama. That was the intent, I'm sure.

What else do the trump defenders have?
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 04:37 AM   #48
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post

What else do the trump defenders have?
I'm sure there will be plenty of reminiscing about the 2016 election, on GETTR. Quite frankly, that is enough feel-good material to last supporters a lifetime.
Old 5th July 2021, 08:19 AM   #49
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Gods, can't these right-wingers manage technology?

Remember how, when Jimmy Carter was elected President, Americans started eating more peanuts, because that was Carter's favorite snack, and lots of Americans have this weird obsession with imitating the President?

Well, "omni-incompetence" was Trump's peanuts.
Old 5th July 2021, 09:01 AM   #50
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: GETTR site launching problems...
Quote:
The proper way to launch a site like GETTR is not to do a big, "Look at us!" release, but to start small, get any bugs worked out while the system isn't popular enough to warrant a lot of general attention.

I seem to remember than when google added new email features, they did it on an invitation-only basis. This would have limited initial growth, but if there were any problems, they would have been uncovered before they would have potentially impacted millions of people.

Of course, a government-wide health insurance site doesn't have the same opportunity to allow 'slow growth' as a private social media site.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 09:28 AM   #51
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
I was reminded of that immediately. One of the major moments in website rollout failure in recent history. Another one was Cuil, a search website that was supposed to take on Google.

The fact that it was trying to serve multiple states for millions of people isn't really that relevant when users were not even able to create user accounts. It may as well have been a site for billions of users to solve all the world's problems.
Old 5th July 2021, 02:59 PM   #52
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
I was reminded of that immediately. One of the major moments in website rollout failure in recent history. Another one was Cuil, a search website that was supposed to take on Google.

The fact that it was trying to serve multiple states for millions of people isn't really that relevant when users were not even able to create user accounts. It may as well have been a site for billions of users to solve all the world's problems.
Actually, that was exactly one of, if not the, most important factors for why the website crashed according to the IG's investigation released in 2016:

Quote:
We now know why the debut of the Obamacare health insurance shopping website was such a failure that only six people in the entire country got it to work well enough to select coverage on the day it launched in 2013.

Quote:
The www.healthcare.gov website, a tool critical to achieving the Affordable Care Act's goal of providing health insurance to all, faced "a high risk of failure" from the start because it was a complicated task on a fixed deadline, according to the study released Tuesday by the inspector general for the Department of Health and Human Services.

It ultimately failed because of several factors, the inspector general concluded, including poor technical decisions and wasting too much time developing policy and not enough time creating the website.

"The corrections were too weak and late to avert the poor outcome," the inspector general concluded.
Quote:
As with anything in Washington, politics interfered, too.

Some states balked at participating in Obamacare, creating uncertainties over whether states would build their own online marketplaces or rely on the federal one. Questions about future funding from Congress and the Supreme Court's review of the insurance mandate, which was not decided until 2012, also loomed over the project.
Quote:
Four days before the deadline, officials realized that the website's capacity was far too limited to support the projected number of people who would be using it simultaneously. Officials drove to the offices of the main contractor and told them to double the capacity. The contractor pulled it off, but it still wasn't enough.

Healthcare.gov crashed within two hours of its launch on Oct. 1, 2013.

As many as 250,000 people had tried using it at once, much greater than the planned capacity, the inspector general said in its report. By the end of the day, only six people were able to submit an application and select a health plan.
https://www.mcall.com/news/watchdog/...24-column.html
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 03:02 PM   #53
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure there will be plenty of reminiscing about the 2016 election, on GETTR. Quite frankly, that is enough feel-good material to last supporters a lifetime.
As the 2020 election has provided for those who actually support a democracy unlike the GETTR fans.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 04:12 PM   #54
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I'll say one thing about GETTR - they're going to run out of American flags at the rate they use them.
Old 5th July 2021, 05:47 PM   #55
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
I'll say one thing about GETTR - they're going to run out of American flags at the rate they use them.

Can't think of anything less American than the flag, at least right now, thanks mainly to the people who flaunt it these days. Kinda kidding, kinda not.
Old 5th July 2021, 06:22 PM   #56
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
As the 2020 election has provided for those who actually support a democracy unlike the GETTR fans.
Old 5th July 2021, 06:59 PM   #57
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Can't think of anything less American than the flag, at least right now, thanks mainly to the people who flaunt it these days. Kinda kidding, kinda not.
Its the sloppiness, PragerU gleefully put up an "American Flag" for their 4th of July message about how proud you should be to put up a Flag.

The flag in their picture had 54 stars. And possibly 15 stripes.

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/prageru-m...152444495.html

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2021, 07:24 PM   #58
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Its the sloppiness, PragerU gleefully put up an "American Flag" for their 4th of July message about how proud you should be to put up a Flag.

The flag in their picture had 54 stars. And possibly 15 stripes.

https://sg.style.yahoo.com/prageru-m...152444495.html
Their patriotism goes to "11", I'd say.
Old 5th July 2021, 11:12 PM   #59
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Patriotism means different things to different people in the US these days. Me? I think it means supporting democracy and the sanctity of our elections, wanting a better life for everyone regardless of color, religion, sexual orientation, etc. Sadly, patriotism for many in this country means supporting an authoritarian, mentally ill, narcissistic sociopath who only cares about himself. That's not patriotism; that's being in a cult of personality.
Old 6th July 2021, 06:02 AM   #60
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Seems like this whole internet thing is kinda hard to do right, whodathunkit?

Quote:
@SALON
EXCLUSIVE: According to the hacker of Jason Miller's new right-wing social media site "Gettr," the site remains highly compromised with an "API server bug." This morning, the hacker shared with me all of my personal information, which I inputted when making an account.
https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/statu...47951636140032

Gotta love when these CHUDs keep signing up for accidental honeytraps over and over again.
Old 6th July 2021, 04:17 PM   #61
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

I just checked and there is a paid ad at top, and plenty of related articles. Also, the link to the homepage is there.

I can't see this going very far, outside of the fan base...which I believe to be greatly overestimated.
Put in 'gettr.com' and it comes right up on google.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 05:05 PM   #62
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Looks to me like the big problem for GETTR - other than feeble numbers - is that they only have one subject to talk about: Trump.

Very little action there. Some of Mike Pompeo's posts have been shared hundreds of times!

I didn't know how much of a christian zealot he was. Wow, he's got it bad.
Old 6th July 2021, 05:09 PM   #63
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Good review here from TechCrunch, mainly focusing on their awful security.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/06/ge...-hack-defaced/

Doesn't bother me any, the guy I signed up has been dead for 50 years.
Old 6th July 2021, 05:18 PM   #64
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Looks to me like the big problem for GETTR - other than feeble numbers - is that they only have one subject to talk about: Trump.

Very little action there. Some of Mike Pompeo's posts have been shared hundreds of times!

I didn't know how much of a christian zealot he was. Wow, he's got it bad.
For a political culture that's very much about "owning the libs", having their own public clubhouse where nobody else is around isn't much fun. If they can't mingle in the general public, there's not much point. Deplatforming works in this regard.
Old 6th July 2021, 05:20 PM   #65
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Good review here from TechCrunch, mainly focusing on their awful security.

https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/06/ge...-hack-defaced/

Doesn't bother me any, the guy I signed up has been dead for 50 years.
I wasn't going to join, but after reading about the "preponderance of Sonic the Hedgehog porn"...
Old 6th July 2021, 05:37 PM   #66
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Marjorie Greene was hacked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTG hacked on GETTR.jpg (85.5 KB, 11 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 06:03 PM   #67
carlitos
"más divertido"

Oh … her being hacked might explain her bizarre behavior. I don’t mean a certain account of hers, I mean her actual self. Can they do that?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 06:40 PM   #68
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
For a political culture that's very much about "owning the libs", having their own public clubhouse where nobody else is around isn't much fun.
It is when they fantasise about owning the libs further. It's become like any CT: they have conversations about how things are going to turn out, isolated from any real-world consideration. That way they can imagine how triggered the libs are going to be without ever having to test it in meatspace.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 07:51 PM   #69
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

For a political culture that's very much about "owning the libs", having their own public clubhouse where nobody else is around isn't much fun.
They seem to enjoy it though - there's a beautiful prototype at SC where a dozen or so far-right guys gather and use each other as an echo-chamber for:

Biden's communism
The evil Libbruls wanting to bring in military rule and take all their guns
Climate change being a hoax
Covid being a left-wing plot...

Not quite at QAnon level, and I bet if you met any of them irl they'd be impossible to pick - they're not MAGA-hat wering rednecks in a pickup. They need reinforcement, and what better way to get that in a room full of like minds?
Old 6th July 2021, 08:17 PM   #70
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

They seem to enjoy it though - there's a beautiful prototype at SC where a dozen or so far-right guys gather and use each other as an echo-chamber for:

Biden's communism
The evil Libbruls wanting to bring in military rule and take all their guns
Climate change being a hoax
Covid being a left-wing plot...

Not quite at QAnon level, and I bet if you met any of them irl they'd be impossible to pick - they're not MAGA-hat wering rednecks in a pickup. They need reinforcement, and what better way to get that in a room full of like minds?
Sure, but it seems like none of these twitter or facebook alternatives every have much longevity. Gab is a basically a passion project of their fascist founder. Others have gone tits up for lack of use and money.

I doubt this current generation of alternative social media for CHUDs is long for this world.
Old 6th July 2021, 09:57 PM   #71
portlandatheist
Illuminator

For a political culture that's very much about "owning the libs", having their own public clubhouse where nobody else is around isn't much fun. If they can't mingle in the general public, there's not much point. Deplatforming works in this regard.
For this reason and others, all these alternative platforms are doomed to failure from the get-go. Some of these things are natural monopolies: you don't want to use the 2nd best mapping app, or a social network that has half the friends available that facebook has and what is the point of having a twitter for only conservatives without liberals to trigger?
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2021, 11:01 PM   #72
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

What GETTR looks like IRL.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2021, 04:40 AM   #73
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Jokes on them, I was using incognito mode

Quote:
Hackers Steal Info of 90,000 Users on Jason Miller’s Gettr Social Network
https://www.thedailybeast.com/hacker...a=twitter_page
Old 8th July 2021, 07:49 AM   #74
Donal
Illuminator

60,000 of those were just bots from China. Half of the remaining were just fundraising
Old 8th July 2021, 10:34 AM   #75
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Donal View Post
60,000 of those were just bots from China. Half of the remaining were just fundraising
Nah China doesn't care unless there is some valuable technology or intellectual property to steal. Russia on the other hand...
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:24 AM   #76
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Jihadists flood GETTR with propaganda

Quote:
Just weeks after its launch, the pro-Trump social network GETTR is inundated with terrorist propaganda spread by supporters of Islamic State, according to a POLITICO review of online activity on the fledgling platform.

The social network — started a month ago by members of former President Donald Trump’s inner circle — features reams of jihadi-related material, including graphic videos of beheadings, viral memes that promote violence against the West and even memes of a militant executing Trump in an orange jumpsuit similar to those used in Guantanamo Bay.
Quote:
Islamic State “has been very quick to exploit GETTR,” said Moustafa Ayad, executive director for Africa, the Middle East and Asia at the Institute for Strategic Dialogue, a think tank that tracks online extremism, who first discovered the jihadi accounts and shared his findings with POLITICO.

“On Facebook, there was on one of these accounts that I follow that is known to be Islamic State, which said ‘Oh, Trump announced his new platform. Inshallah, all the mujahideen will exploit that platform,’” he added. “The next day, there were at least 15 accounts on GETTR that were Islamic State.”

While GETTR does not provide access to its data to track the spread, or virality, of such extremist material on its platform, POLITICO found at least 250 accounts that had posted regularly on the platform since early July. Many followed each other, and used hashtags to promote the jihadi material to this burgeoning online community.
"There is a virus here — it kills people. And the only way we prevent it is to get vaccinated, to wear masks, to do social distancing, washing your hands all the time, and not just to think about, 'Well, my freedom is being kind of disturbed here.' No, screw your freedom — because with freedom comes obligations and responsibilities. You cannot just say, 'I have the right to X, Y, and Z.' When you affect other people then it gets serious." -- Arnold Schwarzenegger
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:34 AM   #77
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
Marjorie Greene was hacked.
That is just because someone guessed her password wet4trump.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:47 AM   #78
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It won't last long, I'm sure of that. The people hosting it their idiocy will eventually boot them off. I'd give it another 2-3 weeks before the platform is shut down and taken off the app markets.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:05 PM   #79
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
C'mon! I just ate.

Last edited by Donal; 2nd August 2021 at 12:10 PM.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd August 2021, 12:20 PM   #80
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
I wonder if it bothers her that when she's with Matty Boy, they're both thinking about Trump.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics