IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccination

View Poll Results: Have you been vaccinated?
Yes, I am fully vaccinated. 155 85.16%
I have received 1 vaccination shot 17 9.34%
No, I intend to but haven't got around to it. 3 1.65%
No, There are personal medical reasons that I should not receive the vaccine 1 0.55%
No, COVID is a hoax. The vaccine is part of some Communist plot. 4 2.20%
No, God will protect me. You cannot trust science. 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1st September 2021, 09:40 PM   #521
Fidelio
Muse

Still waiting for that big 'ole parabolic antenna to pop out my butt for 5G mind control.
Old 1st September 2021, 11:30 PM   #522
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The difference between the volumes wasn't enough to matter as far as one's injection site pain.

One might have more local pain at the site with the more concentrated version.

I'm not sure there is data comparing the initial side effects between the different formulations. But I would bet the Moderna vaccine had more with the higher dose.
Again, most likely, as we both said with (Moderna) expectedly having more mRNA just based on the actual vaccine amounts. However, as the loading and administering volume indicate. Cited, as I said in your quotes and confirming my reading of the loading and administering instructions I had read previously. The Moderna is not only more concentrated (of presumably more mRNA) by actual vaccine amounts but also by full loading amounts. The Pfizer is not only 1/3 less concentrated by actual vaccine amount but additionally further half as concentrated by dosing syringe loading amounts. Making the Moderna (mRNA) about 6 times more concentrated, when actually injected, than the Pfizer. I'm not trying to argue, just trying to clarify my point, that the Moderna is more concentrated by two physical aspects of its administration. The amount of actual vaccine as well as the amount of diluting materials in the dosing syringe.

The physiological response, of course, depends on the person. However, both these vaccines target the antigen-presenting cells (Dendritic cells) of the immune system. These are the types of cells that the TNF inhibitor I've been injecting every week for about 15 years (for psoriatic arthritis) indirectly targets to keep them from presenting self proteins to my immune system. Though, as asserted by 'indirectly' it is a more generalized mode of suppression, by blocking Cytokine reception.
Old 1st September 2021, 11:35 PM   #523
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
Still waiting for that big 'ole parabolic antenna to pop out my butt for 5G mind control.

Oh, please, what is this, like, 1950's vaccine technology?!?!

They'll pop out just behind your ears, you'll hardly even notice them, but that way everything you hear can be monitored!!!
Old 14th September 2021, 02:49 AM   #524
Susheel
Master Poster

as of today fully vaccinated with the Oxford-Astra Zeneca vaccine that is distributed here as the COVISHIELD
Old 14th September 2021, 11:39 AM   #525
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
as of today fully vaccinated with the Oxford-Astra Zeneca vaccine that is distributed here as the COVISHIELD
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 11:44 AM   #526
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Old 14th September 2021, 11:48 AM   #527
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Excellent.

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 12:54 PM   #528
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fidelio View Post
I am still waiting to get my cool Magnitic powers, just like Magneto in the X Men.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 12:56 PM   #529
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Now I'm just waiting for clear guidance on boosters, especially since I got the J&J vaccine.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 01:51 PM   #530
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am still waiting to get my cool Magnitic powers, just like Magneto in the X Men.
I know where you are. You've been Covid Chipped. BWWWAAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 02:04 PM   #531
Susheel
Master Poster

I know where you are. You've been Covid Chipped. BWWWAAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!
I heard something about shedding spikes...that would be cool. Fling spikes at people. I shall be called...Spikes...no Spikeman...no Captain Spike...
Old 14th September 2021, 02:35 PM   #532
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I heard something about shedding spikes...that would be cool. Fling spikes at people. I shall be called...Spikes...no Spikeman...no Captain Spike...
I've got two dogs and a very long haired daughter. The LAST thing I need is more shedding. Stay away......
Old 14th September 2021, 05:23 PM   #533
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Scheduled my booster with Kaiser. Pretty easy compared to last time. I go in tomorrow. No one argued with me if my 15mg/day of prednisone and my autoimmune disease constituted "moderately" immunocompromised but I can see from the way they described it when I emailed my doc to request it they are not making that definition to include a wide swath of immunocompromised folks. For example they say "high dose of prednisone or on cancer chemotherapy." 15 mg/day is not high but it's high enough it might interfere with my vaccine response.

I did want a Moderna booster (higher dose) but they said no, it needed to be Pfizer because that's the vaccine I had initially. Oh well, I'm just happy to get another dose given some vaccinated folks are still getting severe disease.

And today giving my flu shots, some of the firefighters are complacent about it, no masks if they are vaccinated and so on. I made them put on a mask but it's not the safest setting, I won't be surprised if they start seeing some delta in some of these departments.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th September 2021 at 05:24 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 05:34 PM   #534
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Scheduled my booster with Kaiser. Pretty easy compared to last time. I go in tomorrow. No one argued with me if my 15mg/day of prednisone and my autoimmune disease constituted "moderately" immunocompromised but I can see from the way they described it when I emailed my doc to request it they are not making that definition to include a wide swath of immunocompromised folks. For example they say "high dose of prednisone or on cancer chemotherapy." 15 mg/day is not high but it's high enough it might interfere with my vaccine response.

I did want a Moderna booster (higher dose) but they said no, it needed to be Pfizer because that's the vaccine I had initially. Oh well, I'm just happy to get another dose given some vaccinated folks are still getting severe disease.

And today giving my flu shots, some of the firefighters are complacent about it, no masks if they are vaccinated and so on. I made them put on a mask but it's not the safest setting, I won't be surprised if they start seeing some delta in some of these departments.
The two doses are part of a tested protocol. I'm not aware that mixing vaccine shots has been tested and approved even under emergency circumstances.

Glad to hear you're going to be fully immunized. Although you're not considered fully immunized for another two weeks.
Old 14th September 2021, 06:08 PM   #535
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The two doses are part of a tested protocol. I'm not aware that mixing vaccine shots has been tested and approved even under emergency circumstances.

Glad to hear you're going to be fully immunized. Although you're not considered fully immunized for another two weeks.
This is a booster. I already had 2 doses months ago.

I think there is some data about mixing vaccines. I'll have to look for it later.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 07:38 PM   #536
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This is a booster. I already had 2 doses months ago.

I think there is some data about mixing vaccines. I'll have to look for it later.
OK then. I thought it was strange that you of all people waited this long to get vaccinated.

Glad to know I was wrong.
Old 14th September 2021, 09:29 PM   #537
crackers
Muse

Got my third Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks ago. Now I have to get the yearly flu vaccine - might wait till October for that.

Last edited by crackers; 14th September 2021 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Flu not fu. Sounded like I was trying to get vaccinated against martial arts.
crackers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 10:24 PM   #538
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crackers View Post
Got my third Pfizer vaccine a couple of weeks ago. Now I have to get the yearly flu vaccine - might wait till October for that.
Probably good idea after just getting your 3rd Pfizer (). Sept. isn't usually flu season so I'd wait until beginning of Oct. I'll be getting my flu shot early Oct. and, hopefully, third Moderna in Dec which will be the 8 months they suggest.
Old 15th September 2021, 05:03 AM   #539
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...

Tradition is important. Go with Vlad the Impaler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15th September 2021, 04:37 PM   #540
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Tradition is important. Go with Vlad the Impaler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15th September 2021, 06:45 PM   #541
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Whoa!

An 85% in the poll.

What country is this forum in?
Old 16th September 2021, 12:54 PM   #542
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Marrow, perhaps?
Old 16th September 2021, 01:02 PM   #543
Warp12
Graduate Poster

People were critical when I mentioned the bad policies of my local CVS, on vaccination.

While sitting around, and doing nothing as best I could tell (based on the observed chat, inaction, and giggling), I was denied a walk-in. I was told that they no longer did them.

Today, after a painful appointment process that took about 40 minutes, I got my second shot. The guy who administered it told me that they were still doing walk-ins, but that they might change their minds, based on how busy the pharmacy was.

How busy, or how lazy, I wondered? Well, at least I got it. This is no way to encourage vaccination.
Old 16th September 2021, 07:36 PM   #544
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
People were critical when I mentioned the bad policies of my local CVS, on vaccination.

While sitting around, and doing nothing as best I could tell (based on the observed chat, inaction, and giggling), I was denied a walk-in. I was told that they no longer did them.

Today, after a painful appointment process that took about 40 minutes, I got my second shot. The guy who administered it told me that they were still doing walk-ins, but that they might change their minds, based on how busy the pharmacy was.

How busy, or how lazy, I wondered? Well, at least I got it. This is no way to encourage vaccination.
You were also criticized for your use of a degrading term for those women...which you defended and have continued to do along with using other degrading terms.

"How busy, or how lazy, I wondered?" Has it occurred to you that those 'lazy, chatting, giggling' women weren't qualified to give shots? They weren't pharmacists.
Old 16th September 2021, 07:38 PM   #545
Warp12
Graduate Poster

"How busy, or how lazy, I wondered?" Has it occurred to you that those 'lazy, chatting, giggling' women weren't qualified to give shots? They weren't pharmacists.
The one who incorrectly claimed they were no longer taking walk-ins is the one who gave me my first shot, and the one who was in charge.
Old 16th September 2021, 11:53 PM   #546
erlando
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Whoa!

An 85% in the poll.

What country is this forum in?
"The world". Also a forum with a supposedly skeptic audience might not be the most representative of the general population.

Last edited by erlando; 16th September 2021 at 11:54 PM.
erlando is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:27 AM   #547
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I went to get my second shot last Wednesday, at CVS. They told me they were not taking walk-ins, since when the FDA authorized booster shots. I thought how crazy this was...there was nobody else there to get a shot, but they turned me away. So, now I have to schedule an appointment, which is about 5 days out.
You posted that on 28th August 2021, 05:14 AM. So, "last Wed." would have been the 25th Aug. Five or 6 days out would be Aug. 30 or 31.

"Today" is Sept.16 and you say you got your second shot "today" (Sept. 16). That's a long 5 days! I'm surprised it took over two weeks to get an appt. since the vaccination rate has dropped to a fraction of what it was, especially if you live in a Red state. Why not just go to another pharmacy or walk-in clinic if you had to wait that long? You can walk into just about any pharmacy around here with no appt. and get one. I see signs up at all of them saying so.
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM   #548
Warbler
New Blood

I got vaccinated as soon as I was eligible, which was in March. It was the Moderna Vaccine

If and when I am eligible, I will get a booster shot. But with what happened with the FDA today, that is probably a long way off.
Warbler is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #549
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warbler View Post
I got vaccinated as soon as I was eligible, which was in March. It was the Moderna Vaccine

If and when I am eligible, I will get a booster shot. But with what happened with the FDA today, that is probably a long way off.
I was vaccinated in early April, as soon as I could get an appointment. The FDA approved booster shots today for ages 65+ which just barely includes me and my husband. Whoo hoo!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics