IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccination

View Poll Results: Have you been vaccinated?
Yes, I am fully vaccinated. 160 85.56%
I have received 1 vaccination shot 17 9.09%
No, I intend to but haven't got around to it. 3 1.60%
No, There are personal medical reasons that I should not receive the vaccine 1 0.53%
No, COVID is a hoax. The vaccine is part of some Communist plot. 4 2.14%
No, God will protect me. You cannot trust science. 2 1.07%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Old 12th July 2021, 11:56 AM   #121
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,845
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
I'm not getting into that raft. I'm in my own boat, not taking on water, or other passengers. My shoe choice has zero impact on anyone else.
BS.You are NOT in your own raft as long as you have contact with other people.
Stop this Ayn Rand extreme individualism nonsense, please.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 11:57 AM   #122
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,394
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
I live alone with my dog. I'm fine and don't need, or even want, your pity.

The current guidance is next fiscal year. So October. They will not require vaccines, but I'm looking at getting it done in September if the tea leaves don't change. There is some thought that we also might get telework made permanent. Current telework agreement is going into the office 1 day a week, so 0 days wouldn't be that much of a difference.
Okay then.

I can also understand why a proud man might not want pity. Nevertheless the people I have met and continue to meet are my greatest joy in life. I can't imagine not having that.

But it is your life to live. Good luck on your journey.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.

Last edited by acbytesla; 12th July 2021 at 12:00 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 11:58 AM   #123
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,994
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I should take the medical opinion of somebody who cannot even spell "immune" correctly seriously.
*Rubs the bridge of my nose*
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 12:23 PM   #124
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator
 
W.D.Clinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,950
modern dictionaries

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I should take the medical opinion of somebody who cannot even spell "immune" correctly seriously.
Believe it or not, there's an entry for "emune" at definitions.net.

And there's an entry for "healty" at the Urban Dictionary.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 12:35 PM   #125
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,647
Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
With….no definition….

Quote:
“The way idiots spell “healthy”l

Ooof.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 12:50 PM   #126
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,394
I'm sorry but I'm not throwing stones at anyone over spelling, punctuation or grammatical errors.

I often make such errors. And not because I don't know better, but because I rush through things and often don't proofread my posts. And I'll spot errors the third, fourth time I read them.

You can call me lazy or not diligent, but saying I'm stupid is a reach.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 01:26 PM   #127
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,877
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm sorry but I'm not throwing stones at anyone over spelling, punctuation or grammatical errors.

I often make such errors. And not because I don't know better, but because I rush through things and often don't proofread my posts. And I'll spot errors the third, fourth time I read them.

You can call me lazy or not diligent, but saying I'm stupid is a reach.
Obvious typos such as a missing letter are not worthy of mentioning. Everyone does that. Often a finger just doesn't press hard enough on a key for it to type. I often type a word twice or leave out whole words or even 2-3 words because my fingers are typing a second or two behind where my thought has already gone ahead.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 01:36 PM   #128
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 5,783
I've often heard a major reason to have another person as editor rather than edit your own work is that you know what you meant and fill the mistakes in. This generally applies to grammar or context, but is true of minor spelling errors, as well.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 01:47 PM   #129
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe
 
COLONEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The many voids of the Universe
Posts: 22,273
Well when you have fat fingers sometimes words get misspelled, Other times you think you hit the right key only to find out later you missed it
__________________

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 01:49 PM   #130
COLONEL
Sniper of the Galactic Universe
 
COLONEL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The many voids of the Universe
Posts: 22,273
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm sorry but I'm not throwing stones at anyone over spelling, punctuation or grammatical errors.

I often make such errors. And not because I don't know better, but because I rush through things and often don't proofread my posts. And I'll spot errors the third, fourth time I read them.

You can call me lazy or not diligent, but saying I'm stupid is a reach.
I agree with you
__________________

Major Ashley-Pitt: In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits who should be run out of their own barbaric country. Matthew Quigley: Well, Lieutenant...
Major Ashley-Pitt: Major. Matthew Quigley: Major. We already run the misfits outta our country. We sent 'em back to England.
COLONEL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 02:20 PM   #131
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,877
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I've often heard a major reason to have another person as editor rather than edit your own work is that you know what you meant and fill the mistakes in. This generally applies to grammar or context, but is true of minor spelling errors, as well.
Absolutely! Your brain will fill in what you meant to type/say and you won't even see what's missing. You see what you expect to see.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 04:40 PM   #132
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,994
Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
I've often heard a major reason to have another person as editor rather than edit your own work is that you know what you meant and fill the mistakes in.
I know that I am absolutely horrible about that. I'm real bad about just "dumping" my thoughts out and not taking the time to really form the words.
__________________
"When enough people make false promises, words stop meaning anything. Then there are no more answers, only better and better lies." - Jon Snow

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 05:47 PM   #133
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,560
Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
I say if your healty enough your emune system will protect you.
That is a fallacy.

It's an arms race, always has been, probably always will be. One's immune system evolves protection, the pathogens evolve ways to defeat one's immune system and on and on it goes. If you get caught when the pathogen is ahead in the arms race, your immune system is not going to be enough to protect you.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th July 2021 at 05:49 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 05:54 PM   #134
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 90,560
Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
I agree, and if you decide to have the vacine then supposedly you have nothing to fear from us that don't.
That's very shortsighted of you.

Unvaccinated people overwhelm the hospitals.

There is no vaccine for kids yet. Not only are they vulnerable and could get serious disease but we don't really know what the odds are yet as we've protected a lot of them by closing the schools. The schools are beginning to open back up. We will soon see just how many kids don't get by with a minor case.

And there are many people for whom the vaccine is not protective or they are allergic to it.

And there's all the stuff that acbytesla said in post #118 about being a crucible for worse variants of the disease.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 12th July 2021 at 06:01 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 06:00 PM   #135
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,877
Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
I agree, and if you decide to have the vacine then supposedly you have nothing to fear from us that don't.
Oh, but we do! It's in the unvaccinated that viruses mutate creating more deadly and vaccine resistant strains that current vaccines may not be effective against. You appear to have very little understanding of how viruses work.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 06:05 PM   #136
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,877
Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
I say if your healty enough your emune system will protect you.
You REALLY have no idea how viruses work, do you? Do you know how many younger people with healthy immune systems DIED from Covid? Thousands. Or do you think only old and/or sick people died from it? No wonder Trump loves his 'undereducated'.

Ignorance is not a badge of honor.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 06:08 PM   #137
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,877
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
I live alone with my dog. I'm fine and don't need, or even want, your pity.

The current guidance is next fiscal year. So October. They will not require vaccines, but I'm looking at getting it done in September if the tea leaves don't change. There is some thought that we also might get telework made permanent. Current telework agreement is going into the office 1 day a week, so 0 days wouldn't be that much of a difference.
I'm trying, really trying, to understand your logic in this and I just can't. I strongly suspect that's because it's completely illogical.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 06:28 PM   #138
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,845
Let's face it, folks we are seeing a revolt against modern science and medicine that a couple of years ago I would have said was impossible.
We have a large group of people who WANT to go back to the Dark Ages because they cannot cope with the complexities of the modern world.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 06:29 PM   #139
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,845
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You REALLY have no idea how viruses work, do you? Do you know how many younger people with healthy immune systems DIED from Covid? Thousands. Or do you think only old and/or sick people died from it? No wonder Trump loves his 'undereducated'.

Ignorance is not a badge of honor
.

In the GOP It is.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 06:31 PM   #140
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,877
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
In the GOP It is.
Certainly seems to be.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 06:37 PM   #141
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,394
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'm trying, really trying, to understand your logic in this and I just can't. I strongly suspect that's because it's completely illogical.
Give him a break Stacy.

There are more people than you realize who live without much face to face human contact. It's easier today than it has ever been.You can work from home or order everything you need online for delivery or curbside pickup. You can get human contact via Skype and Zoom although it is not physical.

Leftus hasn't denied that the virus is real or taken a really stupid stance. He intends to get the vaccine. You and I naturally worry that he isn't taking it serious enough, but I choose to take him at his word.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 06:44 PM   #142
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,394
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Let's face it, folks we are seeing a revolt against modern science and medicine that a couple of years ago I would have said was impossible.
We have a large group of people who WANT to go back to the Dark Ages because they cannot cope with the complexities of the modern world.
A great part of this is religious. Modern science has proven that a vast amount of the Bible is false and the theistic right cannot handle that.

You know Christianity is in trouble when the very first line in the Bible has been proven to be false. And the second. Preachers in America's pews have launched an all out assault on Science. As have the fossil fuel industry
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 07:51 PM   #143
Lurch
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,822
To anyone who hews to the notion that a healthy immune system is protection enough.

Would you say the same if the virus in our midst were instead Ebola?

Just because the death rate is near the 1% mark means it makes sense to be flippant? Would you be similarly sanguine if you were asked to play Russian Roulette with a 100-chamber revolver?

But current personal danger aside. The more frightening danger presented by the anti-vaxxers is a prolongation of the evolution and mutation of the virus. We've already seen several variants. One could end up largely defeating the current vaccines, necessitating another go around on the wheel of misery.

The so called 'freedom of choice' exercised by enough misguided, selfish, ignorant and deluded fools can wreak havoc on everyone. And themselves, if only they weren't so consumed with obstreporousness as to be blind to even naked self interest.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2021, 07:54 PM   #144
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,394
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
To anyone who hews to the notion that a healthy immune system is protection enough.

Would you say the same if the virus in our midst were instead Ebola?

Just because the death rate is near the 1% mark means it makes sense to be flippant? Would you be similarly sanguine if you were asked to play Russian Roulette with a 100-chamber revolver?

But current personal danger aside. The more frightening danger presented by the anti-vaxxers is a prolongation of the evolution and mutation of the virus. We've already seen several variants. One could end up largely defeating the current vaccines, necessitating another go around on the wheel of misery.

The so called 'freedom of choice' exercised by enough misguided, selfish, ignorant and deluded fools can wreak havoc on everyone. And themselves, if only they weren't so consumed with obstreporousness as to be blind to even naked self interest.


I am so sick of the stupid and especially those that use them for their own ends.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2021, 02:01 AM   #145
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,877
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Give him a break Stacy.

There are more people than you realize who live without much face to face human contact. It's easier today than it has ever been.You can work from home or order everything you need online for delivery or curbside pickup. You can get human contact via Skype and Zoom although it is not physical.

Leftus hasn't denied that the virus is real or taken a really stupid stance. He intends to get the vaccine. You and I naturally worry that he isn't taking it serious enough, but I choose to take him at his word.
I'm not questioning his honesty in describing his situation nor do I think he's in any way against getting the vaccine. But, unless he is living in a vacuum, he is still exposed to getting Covid. But delaying it until September rather than just going ahead and doing it now just isn't logical. The vaccine is just too easy to get now so putting it off isn't going to change anything but increase the chances of getting the virus.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2021, 01:42 PM   #146
CORed
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central City, Colorado, USA
Posts: 10,383
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Let's face it, folks we are seeing a revolt against modern science and medicine that a couple of years ago I would have said was impossible.
We have a large group of people who WANT to go back to the Dark Ages because they cannot cope with the complexities of the modern world.
People like that have always been around (and most of them run screaming back to the modern world within a week or two of going back to the Dark Ages if they could), but they do seem to be on the increase.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2021, 01:51 PM   #147
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Wife and I getting our second shots Saturday.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2021, 01:59 PM   #148
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,394
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Wife and I getting our second shots Saturday.
Me too!
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 06:43 AM   #149
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,712
Second shot Sunday.
__________________
Quantum physics means that anything can happen at anytime and for no reason. Also, eat plenty of oatmeal, and animals never had a war! - Deepak Chopra
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 12:36 PM   #150
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing
 
Gord_in_Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 21,218
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Certainly seems to be.
Gord checks the definition of Natural Selection and giggles quietly to himself.
__________________
"Reality is what's left when you cease to believe." Philip K. Dick
Gord_in_Toronto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 12:40 PM   #151
Steve
Philosopher
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney Nova Scotia
Posts: 9,865
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Gord checks the definition of Natural Selection and giggles quietly to himself.
Gonna be a whole lot less conservatives around to vote in the next few years.
__________________
Caption from and old New Yorker cartoon - Why am I shouting? Because I'm wrong!"
Steve is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2021, 01:20 PM   #152
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,877
Ninety-seven percent of those being admitted to the hospital with Covid are unvaccinated. Yes almost half the above 12 years old population is unvaccinated by choice. Stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 07:43 AM   #153
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 10,415
Vaccination is moving pretty slowly in Norway, but I've received my first shot (I'm almost 36 and healthy) and I keep getting snaps from my friends in their 20s and early 30s about how they're getting vaccinated .
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 07:49 AM   #154
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker
 
kookbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 13,647
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You REALLY have no idea how viruses work, do you? Do you know how many younger people with healthy immune systems DIED from Covid? Thousands. Or do you think only old and/or sick people died from it? No wonder Trump loves his 'undereducated'.

Ignorance is not a badge of honor.
It wouldn’t be inconceivable that a mutation might make COVID more like the Spanish Flu, where the “young and healthy” dropped like flies.
__________________
www.spectrum-scientifics.com <- My store of science toys, instruments and general fun!

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 09:06 AM   #155
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,394
Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Gord checks the definition of Natural Selection and giggles quietly to himself.
A lot of Darwin Award winners.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 09:41 AM   #156
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 15,027
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Vaccination is moving pretty slowly in Norway, but I've received my first shot (I'm almost 36 and healthy) and I keep getting snaps from my friends in their 20s and early 30s about how they're getting vaccinated .

Did the same thing happen in Norway as in Denmark? The 16-29-year-olds were vaccinated earlier than people in their 30s because they were expected to spread the virus more? (Which also seemed to be true.)
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 09:46 AM   #157
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
It's done. Second doses for my wife and I.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 10:00 AM   #158
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 29,394
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's done. Second doses for my wife and I.


Good for you!
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 10:16 AM   #159
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 96,875
Yeah now I'll get free internet from my neural system.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2021, 10:22 AM   #160
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing
 
Safe-Keeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Norway
Posts: 10,415
Originally Posted by dann View Post
Did the same thing happen in Norway as in Denmark? The 16-29-year-olds were vaccinated earlier than people in their 30s because they were expected to spread the virus more? (Which also seemed to be true.)
Also because they'd been couped up for too long and the authorities felt it neccessary they get more freedom to participate in sports and other spare time activities. Teens and young adults need all that more than us 30-somethings.
__________________
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:32 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.