IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , vaccination

View Poll Results: Have you been vaccinated?
Yes, I am fully vaccinated. 155 85.16%
I have received 1 vaccination shot 17 9.34%
No, I intend to but haven't got around to it. 3 1.65%
No, There are personal medical reasons that I should not receive the vaccine 1 0.55%
No, COVID is a hoax. The vaccine is part of some Communist plot. 4 2.20%
No, God will protect me. You cannot trust science. 2 1.10%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th July 2021, 09:55 AM   #281
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Meanwhile, Chris Cuomo interviews an idiot who bans vaccinated people from his restaurant:

Quote:
The Chris Cuomo interview with Huntington Beach, CA restaurant owner Tony Roman was next level WTF.

It was almost comical.
https://twitter.com/CamJunior1972/st...65277499084804
"There is a virus here it kills people. And the only way we prevent it is to get vaccinated, to wear masks, to do social distancing, washing your hands all the time, and not just to think about, 'Well, my freedom is being kind of disturbed here.' No, screw your freedom because with freedom comes obligations and responsibilities. You cannot just say, 'I have the right to X, Y, and Z.' When you affect other people then it gets serious." -- Arnold Schwarzenegger
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 10:05 AM   #282
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post

Two billion people have received at least 1 shot. At what point is it no longer an experiment?
I expect 2021 deaths to at least half of that!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 10:07 AM   #283
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Meanwhile, Chris Cuomo interviews an idiot who bans vaccinated people from his restaurant:

That's the intellectual level we're dealing with. "Libruls" ban unvaccinated people from restaurants to keep their customers safe? Well, Trumpsters have to get back at them by doing the opposite, just do balance the slight. And then they accuse everyone else of being partisan!

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 10:13 AM   #284
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

"This is not an anti-vaccine stand, this is a pro-freedom stand"- right, nothing says "pro-freedom" quite like banning people who make the free choice to get the vaccine. Cuomo was certainly right- that guy came off as a compete idiot ("IQ test" indeed).

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 01:32 PM   #285
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
"This is not an anti-vaccine stand, this is a pro-freedom stand"- right, nothing says "pro-freedom" quite like banning people who make the free choice to get the vaccine. Cuomo was certainly right- that guy came off as a compete idiot ("IQ test" indeed).
Well, at least next time in SoCal I know where not to eat...

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 02:14 PM   #286
trustbutverify
Philosopher

This is next level, Michael Moriarty caliber sub-intellect.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 02:17 PM   #287
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

IMNO this restaurant owner was looking for free publcity, and knew this stunt would give it to him. Whether the results are what he thought it would be is another question.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 02:19 PM   #288
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That's the intellectual level we're dealing with. "Libruls" ban unvaccinated people from restaurants to keep their customers safe? Well, Trumpsters have to get back at them by doing the opposite, just do balance the slight. And then they accuse everyone else of being partisan!
One might argue that could be a good thing... get all those unvaccinated people together in a confined space so that Darwin can have a little help.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2021, 06:27 PM   #289
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
One might argue that could be a good thing... get all those unvaccinated people together in a confined space so that Darwin can have a little help.
I think it's called "Culling The Herd".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 29th July 2021, 08:14 PM   #290
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I think it's called "Culling The Herd".
Or a Dump rally.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 01:08 PM   #291
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
What good are all these vaccinations? Until they stop the illegals from crossing our southern border we will always be at risk of it spreading
I think you've finally found a way to get the trumpkins to get the shot.

"The invasion of illegal brown communist caravan people are spreading the corona virus! They bring syphillis strain of covid! Hurry! Get your Freedom Vaccine before it's too late!"
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 01:24 PM   #292
theprestige
Suspended

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Are you suggesting that COVID hasn't been politicized? That the vaccination rates in Red states and rural areas isn't less than in Blue states and urban areas?
I'm suggesting that your poll doesn't have anything meaningful to say about the politicization of Covid, and that therefore it's kinda weird that you chose to frame it that way.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 01:27 PM   #293
theprestige
Suspended

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You really don't want a correlation between vaccination and political affiliation made, do you? Sorry, too late. It's been done.
I think the correlation is pretty obvious. What I want here is simply a coherent explanation from acbytesla for why he thinks this poll tells us anything meaningful about that correlation.

When a preacher turns to the choir, and asks for a show of hands from choir members, that doesn't tell him anything he didn't already know about who the choir members are.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 01:28 PM   #294
theprestige
Suspended

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Oh FFS, just stop your incessant whining! Answer the poll or don't. Nobody cares either way what you do,
I'm happy to discuss the topic. Feel free to not, if you prefer.
Old 30th July 2021, 01:38 PM   #295
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Reminds me of the person in Norway who runs a bike repair shop and announced he would only hire unvaccinated people, as this proved they were "able to think for themselves".
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 01:53 PM   #296
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Reminds me of the person in Norway who runs a bike repair shop and announced he would only hire unvaccinated people, as this proved they were "able to think for themselves".
Which means that he will never be quite sure of what those people actually do to the bicycles he entrusts them with.
Old 30th July 2021, 05:28 PM   #297
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I am getting my first shot this week. I would have liked to have gotten it sooner, tbh.

Since the vaccine isn't required by law, I support an individual's right to make a choice. Even if I may not agree with their decision or the reasoning behind it.

Making it about politics seems rather silly to me. But to each their own.

The individual still has the right to be an *******
Old 30th July 2021, 06:37 PM   #298
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I am getting my first shot this week. I would have liked to have gotten it sooner, tbh.

Since the vaccine isn't required by law, I support an individual's right to make a choice. Even if I may not agree with their decision or the reasoning behind it.

Making it about politics seems rather silly to me. But to each their own.
I don't support their "right to choose". But it can be made legally required.

I do agree that making it about politics is silly but you can blame the GOP for that. I have never seen a major political party line up against the health of the citizens.
Old 30th July 2021, 09:18 PM   #299
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm suggesting that your poll doesn't have anything meaningful to say about the politicization of Covid, and that therefore it's kinda weird that you chose to frame it that way.
I agree. I've been wanting to post a similar poll in Community.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 11:39 PM   #300
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
I think you've finally found a way to get the trumpkins to get the shot.

"The invasion of illegal brown communist caravan "leprosy and smallpox infected" people are spreading the corona virus! They bring syphillis strain of covid! Hurry! Get your Freedom Vaccine before it's too late!"
FTFY
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2021, 05:42 AM   #301
chrispy
Graduate Poster

Yay! Just got my first Moderna jab on Thursday! The US sent a bunch down here and some made it to my town. Finally!!
Old 31st July 2021, 05:44 AM   #302
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Yay! Just got my first Moderna jab on Thursday! The US sent a bunch down here and some made it to my town. Finally!!
Great news, I"m glad we're doing that.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2021, 05:50 AM   #303
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I had to stop about a quarter of a way in. The stupid was starting to burn.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2021, 05:50 AM   #304
Belz...
Fiend God

Well it's two weeks from my second jab today, so I should have max immunity now.

Max Immunity. Sounds like a metal band name.

Old 31st July 2021, 05:54 AM   #305
Warp12
Graduate Poster

You mean, until they vaccinate the people who cross at the border, right?
Logistics, yo. If you are coming into the country legally, there would be a case for this. If you are swarming in via illegal pathways, this is not a possibility...at least at the point of crossing.
Old 31st July 2021, 05:56 AM   #306
Belz...
Fiend God

Logistics, yo. If you are coming into the country legally, there would be a case for this. If you are swarming in via illegal pathways, this is not a possibility...at least at the point of crossing.
Illegal pathways. It's like you're not aware that 80% of illegal immigrants actually come in the US via the legal pathways.

Old 31st July 2021, 05:59 AM   #307
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by COLONEL View Post
What good are all these vaccinations? Until they stop the illegals from crossing our southern border we will always be at risk of it spreading
Oh bull ****. COVID-19 came to the US in business class from China and Europe. Its hosts had drinks served to them while they sat in comfy chairs in the front of the Airplane. The original vectors had passports and their visas were all in order.
Old 31st July 2021, 06:11 AM   #308
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
I would support it being required by law.
So, what is the plan for this? How do you see it being implemented, in the US?

If you are found to be in non-compliance with a vaccine mandate, what happens? Are you strapped down and injected with it, against your will, and then served with fines and/or imprisonment? Will we need to create an armed "Vaccine Enforcement Task Force", trained to locate and capture such people? Sounds a little dystopian, to me.

I'm just wondering how you picture this playing out moving forward, with other vaccines and/or mandates that the government might make.
Old 31st July 2021, 06:11 AM   #309
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Illegal pathways. It's like you're not aware that 80% of illegal immigrants actually come in the US via the legal pathways.
As do 90% of the illegal drugs...
Old 31st July 2021, 06:21 AM   #310
Warp12
Graduate Poster

What is your plan for immigrants? Detain, forced vaccination, then release onto US soil, after 45 days?

What do you think of 1 million being arrested for illegal crossing, in well under a year?

If that many were arrested, how many do you think might be undetected, and to have entered via an illegal pathway? Give me a number that you can reasonably verify....then we can talk about the idea of mandating a vaccine upon them, and the logistics of such.

Last edited by Warp12; 31st July 2021 at 06:23 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2021, 06:28 AM   #311
Belz...
Fiend God

What is your plan for immigrants? Detain, forced vaccination, then release onto US soil, after 45 days?
Why are you dodging my point? Did you know what I just told you?

Old 31st July 2021, 06:36 AM   #312
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Why are you dodging my point? Did you know what I just told you?
I think you are missing the context of your very own posts. The discussion was clearly about illegals, and directed towards those who are not crossing via a legal point of entry. But, you diverted the subject to those using a legal pathway into the country, so I also addressed that.

I stand by my statements and questions. You are free to address them...or not.

Last edited by Warp12; 31st July 2021 at 06:37 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2021, 06:37 AM   #313
Steve
Philosopher

What do you think of 1 million being arrested for illegal crossing, in well under a year?

If that many were arrested, how many do you think might be undetected, and to have entered via an illegal pathway? Give me a number that you can reasonably verify....then we can talk about the idea of mandating a vaccine upon them, and the logistics of such.
Probably a good idea for anti-vax Americans.

Not seeing what the balance of this post has to do with vaccinations.

Given the prevalence of COVID-19 in the USA, and the prevalence of anti-vaxers there, I see more concern about entrants in to country being infected by Americans than the other way around.
Old 31st July 2021, 06:48 AM   #314
Belz...
Fiend God

I think you are missing the context of your very own posts. The discussion was clearly about illegals, and directed towards those who are not crossing via a legal point of entry.
I've asked you a question. Did you or did you not know this?

Old 31st July 2021, 07:25 AM   #315
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

So, what is the plan for this? How do you see it being implemented, in the US?

If you are found to be in non-compliance with a vaccine mandate, what happens? Are you strapped down and injected with it, against your will, and then served with fines and/or imprisonment? Will we need to create an armed "Vaccine Enforcement Task Force", trained to locate and capture such people? Sounds a little dystopian, to me.

I'm just wondering how you picture this playing out moving forward, with other vaccines and/or mandates that the government might make.
They did something like this for Smallpox in 1905 in Boston. But I think there are better ways to get this done.
Old 31st July 2021, 09:07 AM   #316
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There's so much COVID still here, concern about potentially contagious migrants is absurd. Add to that how out of control the pandemic is in red states and one has to wonder how are people so stupid.

Can we seal off the border with FL?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2021, 09:15 AM   #317
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There's so much COVID still here, concern about potentially contagious migrants is absurd. Add to that how out of control the pandemic is in red states and one has to wonder how are people so stupid.

Can we seal off the border with FL?
I'm thinking the Mason Dixon line.
Old 31st July 2021, 10:09 AM   #318
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There's so much COVID still here, concern about potentially contagious migrants is absurd.
Hey, anti-vaxxers, migrants, who cares? We are all one big, happy family. Right?
Old 31st July 2021, 10:33 AM   #319
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You really don't want a correlation between vaccination and political affiliation made, do you? Sorry, too late. It's been done.
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I think the correlation is pretty obvious. What I want here is simply a coherent explanation from acbytesla for why he thinks this poll tells us anything meaningful about that correlation.

When a preacher turns to the choir, and asks for a show of hands from choir members, that doesn't tell him anything he didn't already know about who the choir members are.
He gave you one the first time you asked:

Quote:
But I have heard people in Castle Rock say that COVID is a hoax. There seems to be a lot of GOP members who are dismissive of the health crisis. I actually expect everyone to on ISF to say they have been vaccinated. But maybe I'm wrong.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...8#post13527858
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2021, 10:56 AM   #320
Belz...
Fiend God

Hey, anti-vaxxers, migrants, who cares? We are all one big, happy family. Right?
I guess you didn't know after all.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics