IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , Congressional hearings

Old 30th July 2021, 05:05 AM   #201
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Nobody arrived with zip cuffs. That story was debunked months ago, by the prosecutor in his case no less.
https://news.yahoo.com/capitol-riots...190644133.html

Why do so many people still believe the false version?
I don't see how stealing police restraints during a riot is an improvement. Why do you think he took them, if not looking for an opportunity to put them to use?
Old 30th July 2021, 05:14 AM   #202
Belz...
Fiend God

Nobody arrived with zip cuffs. That story was debunked months ago, by the prosecutor in his case no less.

Why do so many people still believe the false version?
That's like saying that no one was armed; someone just stole the person's gun!

It's a distinction without a difference. Why would they take the zip cuffs? Well, maybe if we listen to what they said their purpose was, that would give us the answer.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 05:14 AM   #203
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I don't see how stealing police restraints during a riot is an improvement. Why do you think he took them, if not looking for an opportunity to put them to use?
He wants to argue that there was no intention to grab any congress-people without actually saying so. The intention to grab congress-people was in fact stated out loud by the insurrectionists, and that there was a conspiracy to do so is evidenced in the Oath-keeper cases.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 05:20 AM   #204
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

You didnít read the link, did you? You just looked at the headline. The link says why.

God, am I the only person here who does any actual research?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 05:23 AM   #205
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
He wants to argue that there was no intention to grab any congress-people without actually saying so.
No. I want to correct a false record. Why does that need any further justification? And there WAS no intention to grab any congresspersons by THAT guy. I am willing to be quite explicit about that.

If this situation is so clear cut, why is everyone resorting to examples that keep falling apart under scrutiny?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 05:23 AM   #206
Belz...
Fiend God

Research with the specific goal of finding the conclusion you already have isn't very valuable.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 05:24 AM   #207
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

This zip tie guy found the zip ties in the capitol and picked them up. He did not bring them from home. He wasn’t planning to use them, and didn’t.
More piffling semantics as usual. It doesn't actually matter how he got them - he was in possession of them. What did he intend to do with them is the only thing that matters.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Research with the specific goal of finding the conclusion you already have isn't very valuable.
And it isn't honest research either!
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th July 2021 at 05:25 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 05:24 AM   #208
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

You didn’t read the link, did you? You just looked at the headline. The link says why.

Sure, we should take the word of a guy and his defense attorney that his intentions were not as bad as they plainly appear. Doing a skepticism because a guy caught on camera committing a crime claims it's not what it looks like. Galaxy brain.
Old 30th July 2021, 05:30 AM   #209
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Sure, we should take the word of a guy and his defense attorney that his intentions were not as bad as they plainly appear. Doing a skepticism because a guy caught on camera committing a crime claims it's not what it looks like. Galaxy brain.
That isnít coming from his defense attorney. It came from the prosecutionís filing, which you can find through that link.

You really arenít good at this research thing. Galaxy brain indeed.
Old 30th July 2021, 05:31 AM   #210
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
More piffling semantics as usual. It doesn't actually matter how he got them - he was in possession of them. What did he intend to do with them is the only thing that matters.
Already addressed.

Quote:
And it isn't honest research either!
Since Iím right on the facts, you have to go after my motives. Nice.
Old 30th July 2021, 05:37 AM   #211
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Already addressed.

Since I’m right on the facts, you have to go after my motives. Nice.
Perhaps you can help a simpleton such as myself. I'm not seeing anything in the government filing that explains such innocent motives. I don't see anything in their filing that presumes to know the mother and son's intentions for these restraints, but there are a few occasions where they seem to be implying that they had nefarious purposes.

The stolen flex cuffs were found in his home, along with the rest of his tactical gear and weapons, when being arrested. Seems like they wanted them for themselves after all. I wonder why?

The filing claims that he stole several, but left others behind. If his goal was to deprive police of these restraints, he failed miserably.

Quote:
At one point, MUNCHEL spots plastic handcuffs on a table inside a hallway in the Capitol.
MUNCHEL exclaims, “Zipties. I need to get me some of them *************,” and grabs several
white plastic handcuffsfrom on top of a cabinet (but leaves many others).
https://storage.courtlistener.com/re....85025.8.0.pdf

But yeah, I guess it's not very skeptical to think a braying mob of rioters breaking down doors and searching for members of Congress might grab restraints to aid apprehending these people. What was I thinking?

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th July 2021 at 05:49 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 05:41 AM   #212
jollyroger85
Banned

Perhaps you can help a simpleton such as myself. I'm not seeing anything in the government filing that explains such innocent motives.

The stolen flex cuffs were found in his home, along with the rest of his tactical gear and weapons, when being arrested. Seems reasonable to conclude he held onto the cuffs once laying his hands on them for reasons unknown.

The filing claims that he stole several, but left others behind. If his goal was to deprive police of these restraints, he failed miserably.
The goal... if it isn't obvious.... was to gain entry to the Election results, take hostages (The 1%ers, oath keepers and proud boys) among congress members and fuel a riot amongst the rubes there with them as cover, and attempt an overthrow of the US Government. Anyone who was there should be in jail and held to the sword for the treasonous scum they are.
jollyroger85 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 05:46 AM   #213
Belz...
Fiend God

That isnít coming from his defense attorney. It came from the prosecutionís filing, which you can find through that link.

You really arenít good at this research thing. Galaxy brain indeed.
You seem to imply that it coming from the prosecution means something.

Old 30th July 2021, 05:47 AM   #214
Belz...
Fiend God

Since Iím right on the facts, you have to go after my motives. Nice.
"Apparently" isn't a fact.

Old 30th July 2021, 05:51 AM   #215
wareyin
Philosopher

Perhaps you can help a simpleton such as myself. I'm not seeing anything in the government filing that explains such innocent motives.

The stolen flex cuffs were found in his home, along with the rest of his tactical gear and weapons, when being arrested. Seems reasonable to conclude he held onto the cuffs once laying his hands on them for reasons unknown.

It's weird, too, but the "zip-tie guy" sure sounded like he was taking those zip-ties because he wanted to have them, not because he wanted to deprive police of them. From Zig's link: "MUNCHEL exclaims, 'zipties. I need to get me some of them motherf---ers," and grabs several white plastic handcuffs from on top of a cabinet," the filing says"

And from the actual filing: "At one point, MUNCHEL spots plastic handcuffs on a table inside a hallway in the Capitol.
MUNCHEL exclaims, “Zipties. I need to get me some of them *************,” and grabs several
white plastic handcuffs from on top of a cabinet (but leaves many others)."

I hilighted the part that damages any credibility to the idea that Munchel took the zip-tie restraints only to prevent police from having them. He left many others there.

eta: guess you read the filing that showed Zig's claims to be bunk as well!

Last edited by wareyin; 30th July 2021 at 05:53 AM.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 05:51 AM   #216
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently being a skeptics means giving a criminal extreme benefit of the doubt based on an extremely charitable interpretation of a garbled sentence caught on surveillance, and ignoring the plain fact that their purported motive makes no sense at all given the context.

Our guy took a handful of restraints out of a bag and left the remainder behind. This did very little to stop cops from having the ability to use them if they wanted, but did accomplish equipping himself with restraining tools for reasons unclear.

But yeah, we're the rubes here.
Old 30th July 2021, 05:51 AM   #217
Susheel
Master Poster

"Apparently" isn't a fact.
Well...maybe if he claps his hands really really hard and wishes with all his heart...
Old 30th July 2021, 05:53 AM   #218
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

No. I want to correct a false record. Why does that need any further justification? And there WAS no intention to grab any congresspersons by THAT guy. I am willing to be quite explicit about that.

If this situation is so clear cut, why is everyone resorting to examples that keep falling apart under scrutiny?
The only thing that is "falling apart under scrutiny" is the cover up that's been perpetrated by the GQP.

Strand by strand, the tangled web of deceit built by certain members of the Repugnican Congress in order to cover up what really happened in the weeks leading up to 1/6, is unravelling, and its happening in plain sight, right before our eyes. Mo Brooks has admitted he knew there was likely to be violence beforehand, and Gym Jordan keeps equivocating as to whether or not he talked to Das TrumpenfŁhrer on 1/6.

The Repugnicans were afraid this would happen... their carefully crafted faÁade is falling apart, that's why they blocked the independent inquiry to investigate the 1/6 Capitol Hill riots, and its why, with he help of their barking dogs in the right wing media, they are now doing everything they can to undermine, sabotage, discredit and diminish this bipartisan Select Committee, so they can later attempt to control the narrative by obfuscating, clouding and befogging any conclusions it might reach.

Those of us paying attention to the facts will not be fooled by McCarthy or the rest of the lying bastards in the GQP.
► Evolution is "survival of the fittest" - the fittest being those who are stronger, healthier and better adapted. Covid-19 has changed that. The fittest are now the well informed, logical, science believers who listen to the experts and get vaccinated.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!

Last edited by smartcooky; 30th July 2021 at 06:00 AM.
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 05:59 AM   #219
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Well...maybe if he claps his hands really really hard and wishes with all his heart...

... or says it three times quickly, it will magically become true!
Old 30th July 2021, 06:03 AM   #220
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
.. and pretending there isn't one is ignorant.
It's not ignorant. It is dishonest.
Old 30th July 2021, 08:27 AM   #221
Armitage72
Philosopher

I wonder if they'll call Steve Bannon to answer questions. On January 5th, he publicly stated on his podcast that "All hell is going to break loose tomorrow. Just understand this. All hell is going to break loose tomorrow. Itís gonna be moving. Itís gonna be quick.Ē

"Mr Bannon, what led you to conclude that something unusual was going to happen on the 6th? Did someone provide you with advance notice that violence was planned?"
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 10:12 AM   #222
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I doubt it. There was no grand conspiracy here.
What is your definition of a grand conspiracy?

I'd have thought that at least two organised violent fascist groups planning to storm the Capitol and succeeding, only stopping when one of the supporting mob was shot was a sufficiently grand conspiracy.

What do you want? A squad of Marines taking part?

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 10:25 AM   #223
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I wonder if they'll call Steve Bannon to answer questions. On January 5th, he publicly stated on his podcast that "All hell is going to break loose tomorrow. Just understand this. All hell is going to break loose tomorrow. It’s gonna be moving. It’s gonna be quick.”

"Mr Bannon, what led you to conclude that something unusual was going to happen on the 6th? Did someone provide you with advance notice that violence was planned?"
Anyone even half paying attention knew that there was a general atmosphere of violence for that rally. Bannon may or may not have known about specific bad actors and specific plans, but you didn't need an inside line to know that a ****-storm was brewing.

The CHUDs were openly talking about revolution on social media well in advance of the event. The language was explicit and belligerent. Fox News poisoned grandpas were talking about spilling blood and a second 1776 openly on social media. The riot could not have been more openly telegraphed.

The certification was understood to be the last chance for the election conspiracies and Q promises to come to fruition, and these people clearly expressed their role was as patriotic foot-soldiers.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th July 2021 at 10:33 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 10:27 AM   #224
TokenMac
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
It's weird, too, but the "zip-tie guy" sure sounded like he was taking those zip-ties because he wanted to have them, not because he wanted to deprive police of them. From Zig's link: "MUNCHEL exclaims, 'zipties. I need to get me some of them motherf---ers," and grabs several white plastic handcuffs from on top of a cabinet," the filing says"

And from the actual filing: "At one point, MUNCHEL spots plastic handcuffs on a table inside a hallway in the Capitol.
MUNCHEL exclaims, ďZipties. I need to get me some of them *************,Ē and grabs several
white plastic handcuffs from on top of a cabinet (but leaves many others)."

I hilighted the part that damages any credibility to the idea that Munchel took the zip-tie restraints only to prevent police from having them. He left many others there.

eta: guess you read the filing that showed Zig's claims to be bunk as well!
I'm wondering how it is any better to steal the zip-tie restraints to keep the police from having them.
Would it be ok to steal a cop's gun or baton while in the middle of committing crimes, to I guess stop them from stopping my crimes.
Old 30th July 2021, 10:49 AM   #225
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Whatever this isn't, I guess.

Old 30th July 2021, 11:10 AM   #226
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Whatever this isn't, I guess.
Hot damn - I think you might have got it.

Every year since 1990 the US Public healthcare spending has been greater than the UK as a proportion of GDP. More US Tax goes to healthcare than the UK
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 11:15 AM   #227
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
No, I don't have a link to those court documents. It's likely they are still restricted to only certain clearances seeing them.
That makes me wonder, then, how the reporters who reported what was in those court documents determined that.

ETA: Way too late to a conversation that moved quickly

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Paul2; 30th July 2021 at 11:32 AM.
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 11:19 AM   #228
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

To be honest, I really doubt there's a "grand conspiracy", at least nothing that goes to Trump.

It's pretty funny because the crowd did exactly what Trump's speech incited them to do and then... nothing. They went all in on throwing their lives away expecting that their leaders had some plan, then Trump went home and watched the riot on TV. The CHUDs actually succeeded in taking the building and disrupting the vote and their leaders did not pick up the baton and run with it. No insurrection act, no "storm", no cavalry riding in to secure a coup, nothing. They milled around for a bit and vandalized the place until enough cops showed up to clear the building.

They got hung out to dry when their supposed revolution turned into little more than a public tantrum to assuage Trump's ego. They actually believed his BS, the absolute morons, and found out the hard way there was no plan.

The cases of conspiracy we've seen include pre-existing fascist groups that had a history of engaging in organized political violence under their own volition without external leadership. Proud Boys, Oathkeepers, and Q cranks have a long history of engaging in this kind of violence without the need of an outside instigator leading the charge. I imagine these groups would be open to coordinating with larger profile right wing leaders, but that's not necessary to explain what happened in this case.

Trump and other leaders of the fascist right were definitely whipping up the mob and pandering to their sense of grievance, but I don't think that necessarily means that they actually had any plan.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th July 2021 at 11:29 AM.
Old 30th July 2021, 11:26 AM   #229
Paul2
Philosopher

Ninja'ed a long time ago

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell

Last edited by Paul2; 30th July 2021 at 11:29 AM.
Paul2 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 11:28 AM   #230
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

That's the dumbass "I made the conscious decision to shoot the other person, and I know that shooting the other person would kill them, but that doesn't mean I wanted the other person to die!" nonsense, just blown up to a bigger scale.

One of the most common characteristics of the Proudly Wrong is that have a total disconnect between their actions and their intent to the point that intentionally doing something that is obviously going to cause a specific outcome in their minds isn't the same thing as intentionally desiring the outcome.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 11:34 AM   #231
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
That's the dumbass "I made the conscious decision to shoot the other person, and I know that shooting the other person would kill them, but that doesn't mean I wanted the other person to die!" nonsense, just blown up to a bigger scale.

One of the most common characteristics of the Proudly Wrong is that have a total disconnect between their actions and their intent to the point that intentionally doing something that is obviously going to cause a specific outcome in their minds isn't the same thing as intentionally desiring the outcome.
Is this directed at me?

I don't doubt that the right wing leaders were ginning up the mob and are culpable for the riot. My point is that I don't think anyone, even them, had any idea how this would lead to "stopping the steal" they had promised.

The people on the ground didn't know how it would stop the steal, but perhaps they assumed that those leaders directing them to the Capitol had a secret master strategy laid out.

Seems to me that the whole "stop the steal" plan turned out to be little more than:

1) riot
2) ???
3) Trump God-King for life.

Trump has always had a good instinct for fascist politics and pandering to the fascist base, but he's never been accused of being a strategic thinker.

I think all the digging in the world may never turn up any more explanation than this, and the "grand conspiracy" never had any plans beyond being Big Mad in public and rioting.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 30th July 2021 at 11:36 AM.
Old 30th July 2021, 11:39 AM   #232
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Is this directed at me?
No, at the Rioters on the 6th.

The narrative they (and their apologists and the "I'm totally not on their side but every argument I make will defend them" types) seem to want to push is.

"Did you on the 6th of January make the conscious decision to storm the Capital during the certification of the electoral votes?"
"Yes."
"Were you aware that doing so would disrupt the certification of the votes?"
"Yes."
"But your argument is you didn't intend to disrupt the certification of the votes?"
"Yes."

Again this stupid pretending that there is any difference between "I intended to do the thing" and "I intended to perform actions I knew would lead to the thing happening, but that's not the same as intending to do the thing" is something we keep coming back to with the proudly wrong.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 30th July 2021 at 11:40 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 11:39 AM   #233
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
A large competent group with a plan of illegal actions that would actually accomplish something real. Just planning to break in to stop the proceedings on that day (with no plan for what happens if they just do everything tomorrow) isn't a grand plan.
Old 30th July 2021, 11:39 AM   #234
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if SuburbanTurkey will agree or appreciate this but he has just said the same thing Ziggurat is saying. The actual conspiracies amongst this group are very limited and are in the "loons in the basement" category. There are not very many opportunities for flipping simply because most of the people involved didn't even know any of the other participants save the person or people they came with.

To be honest, I really doubt there's a "grand conspiracy", at least nothing that goes to Trump.

It's pretty funny because the crowd did exactly what Trump's speech incited them to do and then... nothing. They went all in on throwing their lives away expecting that their leaders had some plan, then Trump went home and watched the riot on TV. The CHUDs actually succeeded in taking the building and disrupting the vote and their leaders did not pick up the baton and run with it. No insurrection act, no "storm", no cavalry riding in to secure a coup, nothing. They milled around for a bit and vandalized the place until enough cops showed up to clear the building.

They got hung out to dry when their supposed revolution turned into little more than a public tantrum to assuage Trump's ego. They actually believed his BS, the absolute morons, and found out the hard way there was no plan.

The cases of conspiracy we've seen include pre-existing fascist groups that had a history of engaging in organized political violence under their own volition without external leadership. Proud Boys, Oathkeepers, and Q cranks have a long history of engaging in this kind of violence without the need of an outside instigator leading the charge. I imagine these groups would be open to coordinating with larger profile right wing leaders, but that's not necessary to explain what happened in this case.

Trump and other leaders of the fascist right were definitely whipping up the mob and pandering to their sense of grievance, but I don't think that necessarily means that they actually had any plan.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 11:40 AM   #235
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TokenMac View Post
I'm wondering how it is any better to steal the zip-tie restraints to keep the police from having them.
Better? I didn't say better. You can form your own opinions on that subjective question. But it's still different.
Old 30th July 2021, 11:41 AM   #236
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

A large competent group with a plan of illegal actions that would actually accomplish something real. Just planning to break in to stop the proceedings on that day (with no plan for what happens if they just do everything tomorrow) isn't a grand plan.
Ziggurat has just defended himself but note that it should not be necessary to have asked. This was perfectly apparent from context provided by the quotes he replied to and by other things he said. Note that he acknowledged some level of conspiracy, "loons in the basement".
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 11:43 AM   #237
dirtywick
Illuminator

The crowd didn't get the idea that the election was fraudulent and if they could just get to Mike Pence to stop him from certifying the results Trump would still be president on their own.

In any case, I'd still be interested in knowing who the Trump admin communicated with regarding Jan 6 and what those communications consisted of.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2021, 11:43 AM   #238
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Better? I didn't say better. You can form your own opinions on that subjective question. But it's still different.
Still waiting for you to cite the line from the prosecutor's filing that makes it clear they had no intention to use these restraints on anyone. You made it very clear that it was in plain black and white.
Old 30th July 2021, 11:44 AM   #239
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Listen who among doesn't grab the first pair of restraints we see lying about, just on the off chance we'll need them later?

Old 30th July 2021, 11:44 AM   #240
dirtywick
Illuminator

Well it seems like grand can be anything. It can even be a boat.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics