IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2021 elections , California politics , Gavin Newsom

Reply
Old 12th August 2021, 06:39 AM   #81
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,380
Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
In 1986, Clint Eastwood ran for the office of mayor in the small but wealthy town of Carmel, California. Eastwood was elected in a landslide and served a two-year term.

A couple of my friends were living in Carmel at the time, and I visited them while Eastwood was mayor. They told me he was generally regarded as a considerable improvement over his predecessor.
The way it was described to me, his biggest responsibilities were declaring "Ice Cream Day" and help to choose an architect for the local library's new annex. I guess that the second one is legit government work but hardly seems to need an executive office.
__________________
SuburbanNerd A blog for making tech make sense
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 11:38 AM   #82
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Did Clint have an empty chair for his vice-mayor?

Yeah, I know; he couldn't find anyone to fill that seat.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 12th August 2021 at 11:40 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 11:43 AM   #83
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,068
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
In Oregon, we have Drain, Fossil, Boring, Riddle, and Talent. Bit of trivia- The sister city for Boring is Dull, Scotland.
Also Tangent. As an aside
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2021, 08:48 AM   #84
Apathia
Philosopher
 
Apathia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 6,067
I'm still trying to figure out what a fish is doing in a tree: Pollock Pines, CA.
I still have a legal address there and vote in Eldorado County. I'm with Gavin cause I don't see anyone more credible. I'm under no illusions that "The best is yet to come."

(On another sad note, I'm anxious about the Caldor Fire the threat of which has made my former neighbors and friends evacuate. Looks now the fire isn't progressing in their direction.)
__________________
"At the Supreme Court level where we work, 90 percent of any decision is emotional. The rational part of us supplies the reasons for supporting our predilections."
Justice William O. Douglas

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2021, 11:34 PM   #85
kevbo
Thinker
 
kevbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rogue Valley, Oregon
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
Also Tangent. As an aside
There is also Aloha. I'll just say goodbye, now.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th August 2021, 11:44 PM   #86
kevbo
Thinker
 
kevbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rogue Valley, Oregon
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what a fish is doing in a tree: Pollock Pines, CA.
I still have a legal address there and vote in Eldorado County. I'm with Gavin cause I don't see anyone more credible. I'm under no illusions that "The best is yet to come."

(On another sad note, I'm anxious about the Caldor Fire the threat of which has made my former neighbors and friends evacuate. Looks now the fire isn't progressing in their direction.)
Flying fish must need to nest somewhere. I wasn't aware of any in this area, though.

As far as fires go, we are living in smoke from the Northern California fires right now. Last year we had to evacuate for 5 days when the Almeda fire came ripping through town. Hurrying out of town with flames on both sides of the road. The fire came within 150 feet of our home. Once was enough for me.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 11:59 AM   #87
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,695
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
Flying fish must need to nest somewhere. I wasn't aware of any in this area, though.

As far as fires go, we are living in smoke from the Northern California fires right now. Last year we had to evacuate for 5 days when the Almeda fire came ripping through town. Hurrying out of town with flames on both sides of the road. The fire came within 150 feet of our home. Once was enough for me.
Four day in a row Sacramento had had grey skies and a smell of burning wood in the air becaues of the fires up North.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 12:08 PM   #88
kevbo
Thinker
 
kevbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Rogue Valley, Oregon
Posts: 154
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Four day in a row Sacramento had had grey skies and a smell of burning wood in the air becaues of the fires up North.
Some days it smells like early morning in a campground with all of the campfires. Those are the mornings when there is usually a fine dusting of ash on the car. Thankfully there haven't been too many of those.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 06:12 PM   #89
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
There is also Aloha. I'll just say goodbye, now.
Yep. Pronounced "A lo wah"....silent H. We Oregonians can always tell a newbie or out of stater if they say AloHA.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 07:01 PM   #90
Apathia
Philosopher
 
Apathia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 6,067
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Four day in a row Sacramento had had grey skies and a smell of burning wood in the air becaues of the fires up North.
I'm glad I'm not there, inhaling particles of Grizzly Flats.

Back on topic: I got my mail-in ballot today.
Here are a few of the fun candidates vying for the governorship.

Patrick Kilpatrick Dem Actor/Screenwriter/Producer
Dennis Richter Retail Store Worker
Steve Chavez Lodge Rep Retied Homicide Detective
Jacqueline McGowan Rep Cannibis Policy Advisor
Angelyne, Entertainer
John R. Drake Dem College Student
Joe M. Symmon Rep Community Volunteer

And my favorite:
Chauncey "Slim" Killens Rep Retired Correctional Officer
__________________
"At the Supreme Court level where we work, 90 percent of any decision is emotional. The rational part of us supplies the reasons for supporting our predilections."
Justice William O. Douglas

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 07:24 PM   #91
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
I'm glad I'm not there, inhaling particles of Grizzly Flats.

Back on topic: I got my mail-in ballot today.
Here are a few of the fun candidates vying for the governorship.

Patrick Kilpatrick Dem Actor/Screenwriter/Producer
Dennis Richter Retail Store Worker
Steve Chavez Lodge Rep Retied Homicide Detective
Jacqueline McGowan Rep Cannibis Policy Advisor
Angelyne, Entertainer
John R. Drake Dem College Student
Joe M. Symmon Rep Community Volunteer

And my favorite:
Chauncey "Slim" Killens Rep Retired Correctional Officer
What? No Krusty the Klown?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 12:13 AM   #92
Sherkeu
Master Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,623
I got my ballot yesterday so I looked today to see the "state of the race". I thought Cox would be higher up the list and the recall more in favor of "No". But I was wrong!!

Larry Elder must be in a good position to actually win because some of the articles I am reading are really out on the edge of libel.

This one from today's L.A Times takes the crazy headline cake. What editor would actually approve it?

LA Times:
Column: Larry Elder is the Black face of white supremacy. You’ve been warned

Twitter link:
https://twitter.com/Erika_D_Smith/st...411139076?s=20

Last edited by Sherkeu; 21st August 2021 at 12:18 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 12:44 AM   #93
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
I got my ballot yesterday so I looked today to see the "state of the race". I thought Cox would be higher up the list and the recall more in favor of "No". But I was wrong!!

Larry Elder must be in a good position to actually win because some of the articles I am reading are really out on the edge of libel.

This one from today's L.A Times takes the crazy headline cake. What editor would actually approve it?

LA Times:
Column: Larry Elder is the Black face of white supremacy. Youíve been warned

Twitter link:
https://twitter.com/Erika_D_Smith/st...411139076?s=20
That's not even close to libel. And Najee Ali is right: Elder is a black Trump. He and Candace Owen should get together. For a black man to claim there is no systemic racism in this country is beyond pig headed blind stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 05:41 AM   #94
Sherkeu
Master Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,623
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not true. California, like 36 other states, requires that the governor appoint an interim senator from the same party as the seat vacated. The party presents the governor with a list of three possible appointees and s/he must choose one of those three.
https://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...637302453.aspx
Not true. Governor appoints US Senate vacancies here in CA. Full authority. The appointed person serves the rest of the term.
So, if Feinstein is "out" for any reason, and the new Gov is a republican, the Senate could flip... barring any other changes.

(read your link again)

eta: However, a defeated Newsom would have some time to appoint a Dem if Feinstein is somehow convinced to resign between election day and inauguration.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 21st August 2021 at 05:48 AM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 08:58 AM   #95
Apathia
Philosopher
 
Apathia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 6,067
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
What? No Krusty the Klown?
There are enough clowns already. See Larry Elder above. And also not on my too brief list, Caitlyn Jenner.
__________________
"At the Supreme Court level where we work, 90 percent of any decision is emotional. The rational part of us supplies the reasons for supporting our predilections."
Justice William O. Douglas

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 05:12 PM   #96
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Not true. Governor appoints US Senate vacancies here in CA. Full authority. The appointed person serves the rest of the term.
So, if Feinstein is "out" for any reason, and the new Gov is a republican, the Senate could flip... barring any other changes.

(read your link again)

eta: However, a defeated Newsom would have some time to appoint a Dem if Feinstein is somehow convinced to resign between election day and inauguration.
I read it correctly the first time. You didn't finish reading past the first paragraph:
Quote:
In the following 37 states, the governor makes an appointment to fill a U.S. Senate vacancy, and the appointee serves until the next regularly scheduled, statewide general election. The person elected in that general election serves for the remainder of the unexpired term, if any. If the term was set to expire at that general election, the person elected serves a full six-year term.

Alabama
Kansas
New York (2)
Arkansas
Kentucky (1)
North Carolina (1)
Arizona (1)
Maine
Ohio
California
Maryland (1)
Pennsylvania
Colorado
Michigan
South Carolina
Delaware
Minnesota (2)
South Dakota
Florida
Missouri
Tennessee
Georgia
Montana (1)
Utah (1, 3)
Hawaii (1, 2, 3)
Nebraska
Virginia (2)
Idaho
Nevada
West Virginia (1)
Illinois
New Hampshire
Wyoming (1)
Indiana
New Jersey (2)
Iowa
New Mexico

(1) The governorís appointee must be of the same political party as that of the vacating senator.

(2) If the vacancy occurs before a specified date preceding the regular primary (Hawaii, 21 days; Minn., 11 weeks; N.J., 30 days; N.Y., 59 days; Va., 120 days), the election is held the following November; if the vacancy occurs within the specified period preceding the regular primary, the vacancy election is held at the second November election after the vacancy occurs.

(3) The governor makes an appointment by selecting from a list of three prospective appointees submitted by the party.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 05:13 PM   #97
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
There are enough clowns already. See Larry Elder above. And also not on my too brief list, Caitlyn Jenner.
Elder drives the Klown Kar.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 07:16 PM   #98
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
I looked further into the CA appt. of a vacant Federal senator seat:

Quote:
United States Senator
If a vacancy occurs in the representation of this state in the Senate of the United States, the Governor may appoint and commission an elector of this state who possesses the qualifications for the office to fill the vacancy until his or her successor is elected and qualifies and is admitted to his or her seat by the United States Senate. However, whenever a vacancy occurs within a term fixed by law to expire on the third day of January following the next general election, the person so appointed shall hold office for the remainder of the un-expired term unless the
vacancy is filled at a special election held prior to the general election, in which case the person elected at the special election shall hold office for the remainder of the un-expired term. An election to fill a vacancy in the term of a United States Senator shall be held at the general election next succeeding the occurrence of the vacancy or at any special election.
Elections Code ß10720
https://countyofsb.org/uploadedFiles...Guides/Vac.pdf

So not necessary to fill it with a person of the same party. However, Newsom would appt. a Dem before the recall. He could even appoint himself as senator.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 08:41 AM   #99
W.D.Clinger
Illuminator
 
W.D.Clinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,944
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Not true. Governor appoints US Senate vacancies here in CA. Full authority. The appointed person serves the rest of the term.
So, if Feinstein is "out" for any reason, and the new Gov is a republican, the Senate could flip... barring any other changes.

(read your link again)
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I read it correctly the first time.

No, you did not read it correctly the first time, nor did you read it correctly the second time:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You didn't finish reading past the first paragraph:
Quote:
In the following 37 states, the governor makes an appointment to fill a U.S. Senate vacancy, and the appointee serves until the next regularly scheduled, statewide general election. The person elected in that general election serves for the remainder of the unexpired term, if any. If the term was set to expire at that general election, the person elected serves a full six-year term.

Alabama
Kansas
New York (2)
Arkansas
Kentucky (1)
North Carolina (1)
Arizona (1)
Maine
Ohio
California
Maryland (1)
Pennsylvania
Colorado
Michigan
South Carolina
Delaware
Minnesota (2)
South Dakota
Florida
Missouri
Tennessee
Georgia
Montana (1)
Utah (1, 3)
Hawaii (1, 2, 3)
Nebraska
Virginia (2)
Idaho
Nevada
West Virginia (1)
Illinois
New Hampshire
Wyoming (1)
Indiana
New Jersey (2)
Iowa
New Mexico

(1) The governorís appointee must be of the same political party as that of the vacating senator.

(2) If the vacancy occurs before a specified date preceding the regular primary (Hawaii, 21 days; Minn., 11 weeks; N.J., 30 days; N.Y., 59 days; Va., 120 days), the election is held the following November; if the vacancy occurs within the specified period preceding the regular primary, the vacancy election is held at the second November election after the vacancy occurs.

(3) The governor makes an appointment by selecting from a list of three prospective appointees submitted by the party.
You failed to notice that the footnote (1) you highlighted applies only to states whose names are followed by the parenthetical (1), and that California (which you highlighted) is not followed by the parenthetical (1).

You appear to have noticed the above on your third reading, or perhaps you never noticed it at all and had to be set right by a different source:

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I looked further into the CA appt. of a vacant Federal senator seat:


https://countyofsb.org/uploadedFiles...Guides/Vac.pdf

So not necessary to fill it with a person of the same party. However, Newsom would appt. a Dem before the recall. He could even appoint himself as senator.
The concern you attempted to allay with your misreading of your original source was the concern that a new Republican governor might appoint a Republican senator to replace a Democratic senator who becomes unable to serve in the office after the current Democratic governor is removed from office. Your new source does nothing to allay that concern. It actually confirms the reason for concern.
W.D.Clinger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:25 AM   #100
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by W.D.Clinger View Post
No, you did not read it correctly the first time, nor did you read it correctly the second time:


You failed to notice that the footnote (1) you highlighted applies only to states whose names are followed by the parenthetical (1), and that California (which you highlighted) is not followed by the parenthetical (1).

You appear to have noticed the above on your third reading, or perhaps you never noticed it at all and had to be set right by a different source:


The concern you attempted to allay with your misreading of your original source was the concern that a new Republican governor might appoint a Republican senator to replace a Democratic senator who becomes unable to serve in the office after the current Democratic governor is removed from office. Your new source does nothing to allay that concern. It actually confirms the reason for concern.
I admitted I was wrong and posted a correction by quoting the relevant CA code, but you still feel the need to crawl all over my arse. Do you feel better now? I would have amended my original post, but the time period allowed for corrections had passed.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 01:42 PM   #101
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,695
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
There is also Aloha. I'll just say goodbye, now.
Remember this;

"Be There:Aloha".
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 02:02 PM   #102
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant
 
The Atheist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 29,856
And in the funniest news of all time, Elder is leading the race for leading candidate.

With almost 50/50 on a recall, there's more than a distinct possibility Elder will be the next Governor.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ecall-election

Might encourage a few more people to vote "remain", although I'd say Brexit to that.
__________________
The point of equilibrium has passed; satire and current events are now indistinguishable.
The Atheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 02:51 PM   #103
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing
 
Norman Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Gundungurra
Posts: 10,506
Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
And in the funniest news of all time, Elder is leading the race for leading candidate.

With almost 50/50 on a recall, there's more than a distinct possibility Elder will be the next Governor.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ecall-election

Might encourage a few more people to vote "remain", although I'd say Brexit to that.
If he won, he wouldn't last a week before HE was recalled.
__________________
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 11:12 PM   #104
The Nimble Pianist
Muse
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco, California Republic
Posts: 835
Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If he won, he wouldn't last a week before HE was recalled.
The recall process would take longer than the arrival of the next gubernatorial election.
The Nimble Pianist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 05:31 PM   #105
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,695
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I looked further into the CA appt. of a vacant Federal senator seat:


https://countyofsb.org/uploadedFiles...Guides/Vac.pdf

So not necessary to fill it with a person of the same party. However, Newsom would appt. a Dem before the recall. He could even appoint himself as senator.
Provided he could convince Feinstein to resign..which I doubt.

I am one of those who felt Difi should not have run last time because of the age issue.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 05:42 PM   #106
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Provided he could convince Feinstein to resign..which I doubt.

I am one of those who felt Difi should not have run last time because of the age issue.
Not so much her age as her apparent mental decline. Some people her age are very fit mentally and even healthy physically.

I was watching a WWII veteran being interviewed on some TV documentary a few months back. The guy was pushing 100, was sharp as a tack and could walk quite well without support. I was, as the Brits would put it, gobsmacked.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 05:49 PM   #107
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: I live in a swamp
Posts: 23,856
The 527s should really be going all in negative along the lines of "All the options are a Star Wars bar scene" and just hammer everyone running for governor. Their kids should be wondering why their parent is such a monster. For those leaning toward yes on the recall, character assassinating the opposition might be a good insurance policy.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 06:19 PM   #108
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,695
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not so much her age as her apparent mental decline. Some people her age are very fit mentally and even healthy physically.

I was watching a WWII veteran being interviewed on some TV documentary a few months back. The guy was pushing 100, was sharp as a tack and could walk quite well without support. I was, as the Brits would put it, gobsmacked.
Even without the Mental decline,I think the healh issues anybody her age would have would indicate retirement.
She's 88...at that age the machinery just wears out quickly.
Yes, there are exceptions, but they are exactly that:exception.
Surprised when she ran without oppostion in the Democratic Primary. That be a major problem with the Dems in Californis:They are complacent and on autopilot.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 24th August 2021 at 06:23 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 06:56 PM   #109
Sherkeu
Master Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,623
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Provided he could convince Feinstein to resign..which I doubt.

I am one of those who felt Difi should not have run last time because of the age issue.
.
CNN asked her about it:

Quote:
In an interview with CNN, Feinstein made clear the recall election won't affect her plans to serve out her full six years -- no matter the outcome of the race.
"Why would I?" Feinstein said when asked if she would consider resigning in the period between a Newsom loss and before a GOP governor could be sworn in.
Feinstein added: "It doesn't affect me -- the recall is just against him."

Asked if she had even considered stepping aside as the recall campaign has gotten underway, Feinstein said: "No."
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 10:37 PM   #110
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
.
CNN asked her about it:

Quote:
Quote:
In an interview with CNN, Feinstein made clear the recall election won't affect her plans to serve out her full six years -- no matter the outcome of the race.
"Why would I?" Feinstein said when asked if she would consider resigning in the period between a Newsom loss and before a GOP governor could be sworn in.
Feinstein added: "It doesn't affect me -- the recall is just against him."
Asked if she had even considered stepping aside as the recall campaign has gotten underway, Feinstein said: "No."
That she can't see it's time to retire now and why just indicates to me she does really need to retire.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 05:23 AM   #111
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,039
Seems the Democrats have put themselves in a tough spot by not running any serious candidates in the recall effort. I suppose it would seem like a stab in the back to the current incumbent to run in the recall effort, but now the state is facing the proposition that the recall will pass and there are no serious contenders on the D side.

It does seem like a bad system that bundles the recall and replacement into the same ballot. Recall should be voted on, and, if successful, there should be a brief campaign window for replacement candidates.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 11:21 AM   #112
Sherkeu
Master Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,623
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Seems the Democrats have put themselves in a tough spot by not running any serious candidates in the recall effort. I suppose it would seem like a stab in the back to the current incumbent to run in the recall effort, but now the state is facing the proposition that the recall will pass and there are no serious contenders on the D side.

It does seem like a bad system that bundles the recall and replacement into the same ballot. Recall should be voted on, and, if successful, there should be a brief campaign window for replacement candidates.

The theory is that having a "Plan B" candidate makes "Plan A" to defeat the recall more likely to fail. They did have an alternate in 2003, offering up the Lt Gov - and got Schwarzenegger.

But in this recall, they could easily have guaranteed Democratic control if Newsom would have accepted more risk of being ousted. It's his gamble.

22 million ballots are out there. Out of those:
10 million are Democrat. 5 million are Republican. 5 million are 'no party'.

Odds look very good for him if you just look at party registration. If he loses it won't be because of Republican voters.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 11:22 AM   #113
GodMark2
Master Poster
 
GodMark2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 2,237
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Seems the Democrats have put themselves in a tough spot by not running any serious candidates in the recall effort. I suppose it would seem like a stab in the back to the current incumbent to run in the recall effort, but now the state is facing the proposition that the recall will pass and there are no serious contenders on the D side.

It does seem like a bad system that bundles the recall and replacement into the same ballot. Recall should be voted on, and, if successful, there should be a brief campaign window for replacement candidates.
A system that allows someone to win with less than 1% of the vote against someone that only got 50%-1 votes? What could possibly be seen as improper about that?

How can it possibly be seen as legitimate when anyone that voted to keep the current governor has their votes tossed out if they didn't get to the magic 50%+1? How could such a voting system possibly pass a constitutional challenge (state of federal)?
__________________
Knowing that we do not know, it does not necessarily follow that we can not know.
GodMark2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 11:29 AM   #114
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Seems the Democrats have put themselves in a tough spot by not running any serious candidates in the recall effort. I suppose it would seem like a stab in the back to the current incumbent to run in the recall effort, but now the state is facing the proposition that the recall will pass and there are no serious contenders on the D side.

It does seem like a bad system that bundles the recall and replacement into the same ballot. Recall should be voted on, and, if successful, there should be a brief campaign window for replacement candidates.
Agreed. Two separate steps should be the process.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 12:49 PM   #115
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,695
Problem with the California Democrats is they have had it too easy for too long. It has been a while since they actually had a fight on their hands,and they seem confused by it.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 01:36 PM   #116
Sherkeu
Master Poster
 
Sherkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Disneyland
Posts: 2,623
This is a big endorsement coup for Elder.

Former CA Democratic Senate Leader Romero Endorses Larry Elder Recall Election

Her ad:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE


Quote:
Yes. I’m a Democrat. But the recall of Newsom is not about political party. It’s about Newsom. Larry Elder for governor.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 25th August 2021 at 01:38 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 01:43 PM   #117
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
This is a big endorsement coup for Elder.

Former CA Democratic Senate Leader Romero Endorses Larry Elder Recall Election

Her ad:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 02:02 PM   #118
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Elder is a male supremacist. His attitudes toward women are disrespectful and archaic.

Elder thinks employers should be able to ask potential employees if they plan on becoming pregnant soon. Why would an employer ask that unless they want to weed out anyone they suspect would want maternity leave, etc? It would lead to employment discrimination toward women of child bearing years.

I remember being asked that over 30 years ago by a principal I was interviewing with. I knew damn good and well that I had better lie so I said "Not in the next several years".

Quote:
He has mocked premenstrual syndrome, known as PMS, calling it "Punish My Spouse (or Significant Other)." He prominently promoted on his webpage a 1950s textbook on "how to be a good wife" that said women should "have dinner ready" and told them, "Don't complain." He reposted an article on his website comparing single mothers on welfare to stray cats.

Elder has already faced some backlash for derogatory remarks he made about women in a 2000 column, in which he wrote that "Women know less than men about political issues, economics, and current events" and claimed that this gave Democrats an edge over Republicans because "the less one knows, the easier the manipulation."
His disparaging comments have been as recent as January 2017, when he deleted a tweet that implied women taking part in the Women's March were too unattractive to be sexually assaulted, according to the Los Angeles Times.
In another previously unreported comment from a January 2017 radio show, Elder mocked women attending the Women's March as "obese."
"When you look at all these women that have marched -- something like 2 million women -- Donald Trump has probably gotten more obese woman off the couch and in the streets, working out, than Michelle Obama did in eight years," he said on an episode reviewed by CNN.

Quote:
In the early 2000s, Elder maintained a page on his personal website on "women and domestic violence statistics," citing three articles that alleged a narrative that violence against women was exaggerated for political gain of feminists. One of the articles cited Elder claimed the Violence Against Women Act, which was signed into law in 1994, was passed with the goal of "redistributing power from the ruling class (men) to the oppressed class (women)." Another asked, "Why does our culture refuse to hold women as well as men accountable for their participation in domestic violence?"
In his books, Elder endorsed pregnancy discrimination, according to a report from Media Matters, suggesting that working mothers aren't "dedicated" and available for an "all-hands-on-deck commitment" to work.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/19/polit...men/index.html


Larry Elder is a disgusting person. I wouldn't vote for him to be dog catcher. I love dogs too much.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 04:32 PM   #119
mgidm86
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,717
Link to video/article of Feinstein asking the same lengthy question almost verbatim twice in a row during a Capitol hearing in November 2020 of this year.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics...248666375.html

She sounds pretty solid until she starts repeating the question after the lengthy answer she was given.
__________________
Stop feeding the trolls PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 04:59 PM   #120
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,695
SOmehow I think that Newsom is going to sit on that Sirhan parole for a while...
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.