IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 23rd August 2021, 12:55 PM   #601
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Guys....you can't fix stupid. Don't even try.
Yeah that wouldn't be a problem if we lived in a world where we were allowed to do anything else about it either.

We can't fix it but we also can't quarantine it or live with it.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 02:30 PM   #602
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah that wouldn't be a problem if we lived in a world where we were allowed to do anything else about it either.

We can't fix it but we also can't quarantine it or live with it.
Stupid feeds off stupid and grows. Get a lot of stupid people together and they get even more stupid. Witness Trump rallies, QAnon, Parler, etc.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 07:18 PM   #603
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
True. Nothing anyone can say or do to change Caroline into a decent, science-minded, rational person. My finger is itching to hit the 'ignore' button.

I am grateful for the many reasonable posters here. Thank you.
Peace of mind...ommmmmmm
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2021, 09:39 PM   #604
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Stupid feeds off stupid and grows. Get a lot of stupid people together and they get even more stupid. Witness Trump rallies, QAnon, Parler, etc.
My big worry is that if we get too much stupidity togther, the density of that denseness might result in the creation of a black hole.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 01:41 AM   #605
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
My big worry is that if we get too much stupidity togther, the density of that denseness might result in the creation of a black hole.
Craig4 just posted this in another thread. Your fears are justified by the sounds of these Trump rally attendees. Vickey Sims is my favorite. Enjoy:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...-ac360-vpx.cnn
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 03:26 AM   #606
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Craig4 just posted this in another thread. Your fears are justified by the sounds of these Trump rally attendees. Vickey Sims is my favorite. Enjoy:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...-ac360-vpx.cnn
That link has been truncated and doesn't work.
Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 04:30 AM   #607
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
That's a feature. Not a error.
Old 24th August 2021, 11:16 AM   #608
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Here ya go:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/...60-biz-vpx.cnn
Old 24th August 2021, 05:00 PM   #609
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Wonder (a) if she has had any other vaccinations in her life as a child, and (b) what she will say when she discovers all ICU beds are full when she catches COVID.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 05:09 PM   #610
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Wonder (a) if she has had any other vaccinations in her life as a child, and (b) what she will say when she discovers all ICU beds are full when she catches COVID.
God will save me! I ain't no sheep!
Old 24th August 2021, 05:13 PM   #611
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Vicky SIms has acheived her fifteen minutes of Warholian fame.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 05:14 PM   #612
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

...said the lamb in the giant flock of other lambs all bleating the same thing together, every week.

I hate to repeat this, but these are the ones a country can afford to do without.
Old 25th August 2021, 05:59 PM   #613
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Florida anti-masker arrested for child abuse after assaulting student that confronted him spewing anti-mask BS at a high school.

Quote:
Greater Cincinnati's largest outdoor food park, beer garden now…
Sidney Powell, Kraken legal team face sanctions, court costs…

As the Broward County school district kept its mask mandate, a father trying to bring his maskless daughter to Fort Lauderdale High School Wednesday morning wound up in Broward County Jail.

Police say Dan Bauman, 50, grabbed and twisted the arm of a girl trying to stop him from using his cellphone to video-record students walking into the school. Bauman faces one count of aggravated child abuse.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ool/ar-AANJZok
Old 25th August 2021, 07:15 PM   #614
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Lucky someone wasn't shot...
Old 25th August 2021, 07:18 PM   #615
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Florida anti-masker arrested for child abuse after assaulting student that confronted him spewing anti-mask BS at a high school.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ool/ar-AANJZok
Daddy, why do you want me to get Covid?
Old 25th August 2021, 07:37 PM   #616
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

It's actually worse than that! Here's the scripture she is referencing...

Originally Posted by Matthew 25:31-46 [New International Version]
The Sheep and the Goats

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
Note the fate of the goats, which she proudly declares herself to be...

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 08:42 PM   #617
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
It's actually worse than that! Here's the scripture she is referencing...

Note the fate of the goats, which she proudly declares herself to be...
Spectacularly dumb.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2021, 12:30 AM   #618
Lurch
Graduate Poster

...said the lamb in the giant flock of other lambs all bleating the same thing together, every week.

I hate to repeat this, but these are the ones a country can afford to do without.
The hypocrisy of these faux Christians. They don't understand the message of Jesus. Just about the most perverse are those who buy into prosperity gospel, believing God is so transactional as to reward the 'faithful' with material riches if they give cash to their church. A Holy Ponzi scheme. If you thought Jesus was pissed at the money lenders of his day, imagine his wrath over this kind of scam being perpetrated in His name!

(Yes, an atheist like me would fling this in the face of such a believer.)
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 12:31 PM   #619
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

A judge has overruled DeSantis' mask mandate ban.
Old 28th August 2021, 01:59 PM   #620
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Ummmm...yeah....Like Trump, DeSantis surrounds himself with only the best!

Quote:
Doctor who promoted ivermectin as a COVID-19 treatment has advised Florida’s governor.

A California psychiatrist who has advised Gov. Ron DeSantis on the coronavirus pandemic recently promoted a drug for COVID-19 patients that federal disease experts have strongly warned against after a spike in calls to poison control centers.
Quote:
Dr. Mark McDonald of Los Angeles is among a fringe group of outspoken medical professionals who have pushed ivermectin as an alternative to widespread vaccination against coronavirus. McDonald called ivermectin an “effective, safe, inexpensive treatment” in a Aug. 5 Twitter post, and he shared an article by the Jerusalem Post citing a recent study of the drug in Israel.
Quote:
McDonald called people who think ivermectin is a drug for horses “ignoramuses” in a tweet posted Monday. (The drug can treat parasites in both humans and animals like horses.)
In a phone interview, McDonald made clear Friday that people “should not get (ivermectin) from a feed lot.” But he said people are ingesting livestock medicine out of desperation because the federal government was preventing doctors from making the drug available.
McDonald accused the Food and Drug Administration of sidelining ivermectin because it already has spent billions of dollars to “mass vaccinate the population.”
Quote:
“If the goal of these people is to advance public health and make the public well, why have none of them spoke a single word about prevention and making one healthy to prevent an infection or hospitalization or death?” McDonald said. “I think there is a lot of dishonesty here and cancellation of people who support truth.”
Perhaps the fact that there is no medical evidence supporting ivermectin has any positive effect on treating or preventing Covid is the reason, rather than their 'investment in vaccinating' people. Additionally, what the hell does he think telling people to wear masks and social distance is if not 'prevention', never mind getting vaccinated?

Quote:
McDonald was one of several doctors summoned by DeSantis for a July closed-door discussion on mask policies in schools. In his comments, he argued that “masking children is child abuse,” according to video of the meeting later released by the governor’s office. He also likened mask mandates to apartheid, South Africa’s racist system of segregation during the 20th century.

Quote:
At this week’s trial in Tallahassee over the governor’s ban on school mask mandates, attorneys for the state included McDonald’s comments as evidence.
Quote:
But in his ruling against DeSantis on Friday, Leon County Circuit Judge John Cooper was dismissive of McDonald’s opinion.
Looks like DeSantis is so desperate to get some medical support for his insane and anti-science mask policy that he's resorting to his own version of Trump's Dr. Bornstein. Bornstein is the doctor who signed Trump's dictated physical exam letter declaring him the "healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency".
Old 16th September 2021, 09:26 AM   #621
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Satire writers in shambles as the reality of Florida's covid failure outpaces human imagination

Quote:
On Tuesday, a Florida county Republican committee that had opposed measures to prevent Covid-19 informed the Federal Election Commission that the group may not be able to submit a filing because its bookkeeper died from the virus.

“For several years we have been submitting the reports electronically, and for over a year we have done this with software developed by one of our members, Gregg Prentice,” the Hillsborough County Republican Executive Committee wrote the FEC. “Unfortunately, Gregg passed away suddenly from Covid 19 on Saturday, September 11, 2021. Gregg did not share the software and instructions with our officers.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zacheve...h=d7ce7611fcbb
Old 16th September 2021, 09:31 AM   #622
plague311
Great minds think...

Satire writers in shambles as the reality of Florida's covid failure outpaces human imagination

So many questions, but it boils down to that sucking for those people. They should have had the bookkeeper train in someone else. It's always best to have at least 1 other person able to step in for these exact same reasons.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 09:53 AM   #623
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently nobody dies of Covid in Florida, or at least it doesn't get reported. Ok, that's not true: They report three a day regardless.
Old 16th September 2021, 10:49 AM   #624
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Apparently nobody dies of Covid in Florida, or at least it doesn't get reported. Ok, that's not true: They report three a day regardless.
this new was of counting more or less guarantees that Florida will notice an upcoming spike too late to do anything about.
Old 16th September 2021, 03:39 PM   #625
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Did he live along I-4 between Tampa and Orlando?
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2021, 05:19 PM   #626
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
So many questions, but it boils down to that sucking for those people. They should have had the bookkeeper train in someone else. It's always best to have at least 1 other person able to step in for these exact same reasons.
Never have a single point of failure.
Old 16th September 2021, 05:26 PM   #627
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I just saw a father interviewed in FL who took his son to the ER. The child was in extreme pain, with a fever, from appendicitis. They had to wait six hours. When the father asked the nurse why it was taking so long, she told him the hospital was full of Covid patients. The child's appendix burst while waiting which could have killed him by spilling infection into his abdomen causing septicemia. Luckily, he survived unlike the veteran who died from a fixable gall bladder caused pancreatitis because no Texas hospital could take him for the life saving operation. They were full of Covid patients.

You go, DeSantis! You go, Abbott!
Old 16th September 2021, 06:38 PM   #628
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

I just saw a father interviewed in FL who took his son to the ER. The child was in extreme pain, with a fever, from appendicitis. They had to wait six hours. When the father asked the nurse why it was taking so long, she told him the hospital was full of Covid patients. The child's appendix burst while waiting which could have killed him by spilling infection into his abdomen causing septicemia. Luckily, he survived unlike the veteran who died from a fixable gall bladder caused pancreatitis because no Texas hospital could take him for the life saving operation. They were full of Covid patients.

You go, DeSantis! You go, Abbott!
Sixty Minutes should have a field day.
Old 16th September 2021, 06:47 PM   #629
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Sixty Minutes should have a field day.
Fake News!!!!
Old 16th September 2021, 08:11 PM   #630
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Fake News!!!!
Glad to see they revel in the deaths of children, then.
Old 16th September 2021, 11:43 PM   #631
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Glad to see they revel in the deaths of children, then.
60 Minutes isn't fake news. It's a decades old, well respected program that does in-depth investigations, interviews, profiles, reports, etc. Americans wouldn't need that explanation. I should have remembered that you dang furriners might not be familiar with it.
Old 16th September 2021, 11:54 PM   #632
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

60 Minutes isn't fake news. It's a decades old, well respected program that does in-depth investigations, interviews, profiles, reports, etc. Americans wouldn't need that explanation. I should have remembered that you dang furriners might not be familiar with it.
Well, I was referring to the knob-heads who really do call 60 Minutes Fake News.

Also: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0L...VgO4pCAIBNGx5w
Old 17th September 2021, 03:35 AM   #633
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Florida currently (most recent week: Aug 15-22; source: Worldometer data) has its people dying of Covid at a rate of 65.5 per million per week. That's fourth-worst in the nation (behind Louisiana, Mississippi, Arkansas; Texas is 9th-worst), 4.5 times as high as the national median, 6.4 times as many as the average Democratic state. Had de Santis managed to keep Floridians relatively safe and healthy and at least achieved the average Democratic death rate from Covid, 1,150 Floridians would not have died - in the last 7 days alone.

De Santis's politics currently are killing 1,000 Floridians every week.
Let me redo those numbers, about three weeks later, for the week Sep 09-16:

Florida has its people dying of Covid at a rate of 118 per million per week - up 80% from August, and now #1 in the nation (2nd-worst is Mississippi at 99.1. The 15 worst states by death rate are all Republican!)
The only jurisdictions in the world with a higher death rate are four tropical island territories: Grenada, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe and Martinique.

The national median now is 23.7 (Utah).
Florida is now 5.0 times above that national median.

The average Republican state recorded 63.4 deaths/mio/week, the average Democratic state 20.9.
Florida is thus now 5.6 times worse than the average Democratic state.

Florida suffered 2538 Covid deaths last week alone - almost the number of New Yorkers who died on 9/11.

Had DeSantis managed to keep Floridians relatively safe and healthy and at least achieved the average Democratic death rate from Covid, 2,088 Floridians would not have died - in the last 7 days alone.

( I can expand that to any time interval you like; e.g. if I expand from my original one week in August to today, Aug 15 - Sep 16 (32 days), then Florida is already the deadliest state in the USA with 104 deaths/million/week for a total of 10,227 dead Floridian, the average Democratic state is at 16.3 deaths/million/week, and so DeSantis allowed 8,624 avoidable deaths in Florida because he did everything in his power to make sure his state would not achieve the lower death rate of Democratic states.

In short: For the last 32 days, every 5 minutes 20 seconds some Floridian died because Ron DeSantis made it an utmost priority to stack Florida hospitals with severe but avoidable Covid cases.

Last edited by Oystein; 17th September 2021 at 03:39 AM.
Oystein is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:02 AM   #634
zorro99
Graduate Poster

DeSantis is killing his own supporters.
Old 17th September 2021, 05:28 AM   #635
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
DeSantis is killing his own supporters.
Indeed so!

For some weird reason, the killing/abandonment/shunning/robbing/etc. of one's own supporters is a very common tactic that is used by Trump and various Trump-wannabes.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:35 AM   #636
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's a common tactic in Cults: make them make a huge sacrifice so that the sunken cost fallacy will stop them from leaving.
Or would you admit that you got duped and as a result your mother died?
Old 17th September 2021, 05:41 AM   #637
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It's a common tactic in Cults: make them make a huge sacrifice so that the sunken cost fallacy will stop them from leaving.
Or would you admit that you got duped and as a result your mother died?
Thanks much!

That sure does explain a great many things.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2021, 05:56 AM   #638
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Poll finds Charlie Crist still leading Ron DeSantis, voters backing vax mandates

A polling outfit in the Pandhandle has consistently shown Democrat Charlie Crist leading Gov. Ron DeSantis in the Governor’s race. The latest results may indicate the reason why.

The latest survey from The Political Matrix/The Listener Group finds voters want local controls regarding pandemic response. It also shows people aren’t happy with Gov. Ron DeSantis as he supersedes local policymaking. It also shows voters happier with President Joe Biden than with DeSantis.

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...-vax-mandates/
Old 17th September 2021, 06:00 AM   #639
zorro99
Graduate Poster

MeidasTouch.com
@MeidasTouch

More than 50,811 people in Florida have died from COVID-19. Ron DeSantis won by just 32,463 votes. Let that sink in.

11:33 PM · Sep 16, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

https://mobile.twitter.com/MeidasTou...07695125598210
Old 17th September 2021, 06:03 AM   #640
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again Florida is really weird and not just in the way everyone knows it is weird.

For the most part politics in America, as well discussed on this board, is based around the urban and rural divide. The whole "Blue State / Red State" nonsense is just that, what America is and has been for about a generation now is blue cities and red rural areas. Red States and Blue States are almost nothing no more then a measure how urban the state's population is. Austin, TX is as blue as the sky while huge swaths of California are a red as the devil's ass. Saying that a State being red or blue is often a statement so context fee it's functionally dishonest.

Swing States, therefore, are just states where the Blue urban areas and Red rural areas balance out enough to be tippable for the overall state.

But not Florida. Florida is a little different. The rural/urban divide still exists, but it's offset a lot by Florida's weird demographics with a huge conservative retiree populations and a large influx of immigrants from Latin America and other places.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics