IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 6th August 2021, 06:25 PM   #41
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Oh nonsense. Telling the truth isn't fear mongering. But this isn't about Democrats vs Republicans. It's about public health.

574 Americans died of COVID on Wednesday for a total of 616 thousand people. Almost 600,000 in the last year. That's more Americans that died from COVID than the number of people killed in a year of any war America has ever been in. It's more fatalities than in all American wars combined except the civil war.

Now you can pretend that this isn't a serious problem. The fact is the vaccine is saving lives and not getting the vaccine endangers lives.
Some people are immune to facts and live in a world of fantasy. There's not much you can do to persuade them otherwise. You can't fix stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 06:36 PM   #42
sackett
Philosopher

Remember that old TV show Romper Room?

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
And MOST all I hear have degrees up the yangyang, but are NOT fear mongers like the Dems have been. And they push Vit C, Vit D etc....when did Joe and Tony mention these????/ NEVER, NEVER, NEVER... It's jab mask jab mask jab mask...
Well I hope somebody will resurrect the idea, only for adults, and call it

RUBBER ROOM!

Think of the muppets you could have: Wordy Salad, the mad chef. Thora Zene, world's strongest nurse, and her invaluable sidekick Needle Knows, always ready with an injection when Grace Seedy bursts into her manic phase. The jumpy twins Pair o' Nerds hiding in VERY unlikely places.

Aw hell, I'm getting tired already. Bored, to tell the whole truth.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 07:12 PM   #43
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

And MOST all I hear have degrees up the yangyang, but are NOT fear mongers like the Dems have been. And they push Vit C, Vit D etc....when did Joe and Tony mention these????/ NEVER, NEVER, NEVER... It's jab mask jab mask jab mask...
Live in fear Caroline. Live in fear. Because that is your life. Living in fear.

BOO

(BTW, this is all an act. She doesn't believe.)

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 07:19 PM   #44
Galaxie
Muse

DeSantis can kiss my pasty white ass! He's just Trump without the redneck comedy tour stand-up act.
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 07:20 PM   #45
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Some people are immune to facts and live in a world of fantasy. There's not much you can do to persuade them otherwise. You can't fix stupid.
The problem the anti-science group fails to understand is that we need to stop COVID in its tracks. By allowing it to spread, we are encouraging the virus to mutate and kill more people. Right now the Delta variant is proving to be more deadly and more contagious, but there are other variants and more new variants to come. And one that the vaccines don't work on.
Old 6th August 2021, 07:50 PM   #46
Caroline13
Suspended

THEY are NOT telling the Truth, they are working to reduce the population. The vaccines (unapproved drugs) are killing and damaging more and more.

When in this history of our country has this gone on????? Currently.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 07:55 PM   #47
Armitage72
Philosopher

This is only the Onion ... for now.

Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 07:57 PM   #48
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

THEY are NOT telling the Truth, they are working to reduce the population. The vaccines (unapproved drugs) are killing and damaging more and more.

If the government wanted to reduce the population, they'd just drop a few nukes here and there or put saltpeter in all the food.

Why don't you go play somewhere else, your usefulness as a chew toy expired long ago.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 08:05 PM   #49
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Over 600000 in the USA have died due to Covid-19.

4.2 Million world wide have died to Covid-19.

Children are dying to Covid-19. Because of people like you and DeSantis.

WHY do you want children to die? CHILD KILLER.

Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 08:16 PM   #50
shemp

Shall we start a pool on how many posts before this entire thread gets chucked into AAH? And the number of yellow cards?

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 08:19 PM   #51
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Shall we start a pool on how many posts before this entire thread gets chucked into AAH? And the number of yellow cards?
2/3 of the posts sent to AAH. and 6 yellow cards.

Old 6th August 2021, 09:00 PM   #52
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Really? Why would they do that? Do you have any data to support that?

Why would all these people spread out all over the world do that? Funny, this vaccine was developed by private corporations under a Republican administration and much of the research was done in other countries.

I was fully vaccinated about a month ago. I don't feel any worse. If the vaccine is a killer, it's a slow killer. There is no evidence whatsoever that people are dying from the vaccine.

On the other hand, my sister was hospitalized with COVID (she survived) and my best friend's father died from COVID. You know who else was hospitalized with COVID? Donald Trump. So was Chris Christie BTW, he was vaccinated as more than 90 percent of Congress. Almost all of the staffs as well.

So I'm curious. Where did you come up with your information and why do you believe it?
Old 6th August 2021, 09:13 PM   #53
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

OH, Caroline believes in wacked out COnspracy theories in addition to her total rejection of science and science based medicine. Why am I not surprised?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 09:14 PM   #54
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster

One of if not THE worst outbreak in th country. Some 40k NEW cases and ~300 COVID deaths in Florida in the last DAY. While De Santis pledges that he will stop any school district or municipality that tries to take precautions. Truly a stand-up guy.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 10:05 PM   #55
Caroline13
Suspended

Shedding and superspreaders,that is what is causing more deaths.

Don't even think about supporting and building your own immune system, just don't. You could get too healthy.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 10:13 PM   #56
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

No such thing as the highlighted, it is a lie; the media you consume has gulled you. As far as superspreader events, yeah, that happens. We also need to start blaming the unvaccinated for this latest surge.
Quote:
Don't even think about supporting and building your own immune system, just don't. You could get too healthy.
You pimp bull **** snake oil. What would you know about health?

Dr. Brytney Cobia
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 10:24 PM   #57
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Shadowdweller View Post
One of if not THE worst outbreak in th country. Some 40k NEW cases and ~300 COVID deaths in Florida in the last DAY. While De Santis pledges that he will stop any school district or municipality that tries to take precautions. Truly a stand-up guy.
Sociopathy is in vogue.
Old 6th August 2021, 10:34 PM   #58
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

You don’t understand what any of what you said means.

Old 6th August 2021, 10:42 PM   #59
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

young like Trump?
Old 6th August 2021, 10:49 PM   #60
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

You. Can't. Fix. Stupid.

You cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2021, 10:51 PM   #61
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

At 42, he is the youngest governor in the United States.
Younger, but no wiser.

“You got a lot of people in your profession who waxed poetically for weeks and weeks about how Florida is going to be just like New York,”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Florida.jpg (45.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 6th August 2021, 10:53 PM   #62
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

the ideological foundations of the Trumpers/FOP are so shaky that they can only exists by pushing against on the sane people around them simultaneously..
on their own, they would be dead within a year, and not just from Covid or killing each other for not being sufficiently "sound".
Old 7th August 2021, 12:06 AM   #63
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

He is smart and there is NO SCIENCE on these frigging masks...and I'll go call him now and ask him to reply here. OK?????

In an operating room, yes a mask.
Riddle me this, if masks don't work, then why have they been shown to have been effective in countries that aren't the US and don't have the whole stupid antiscience Republican boneheadedness of the US? Why have counties like Japan and Korea used masks to prevent the spread of disease for decades?

Perhaps you need to stop reading the bull crap of the right-wing pundits in the US and read a few news sources from outside of your whole Republican vs Democrat bubble, such as the Sydney Morning Herald, or the Fiji Times, or the New Zealand Herald, or id you prefer totally independent media, try South Africa's Daily Maverick. These are media sources that have zero dogs in your US political BS and couldn't give a rats arse about who the President of the US is.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 7th August 2021 at 12:21 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 12:15 AM   #64
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Guys....you can't fix stupid. Don't even try.
Quoted for truth.

Please let this thread die.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 01:33 AM   #65
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You are really CRUDE. Makes me wonder what your parents went thru ...
Thanks for noticing.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 01:46 AM   #66
Kid Eager
Philosopher

There have been ignorant, venal, and capricious people throughout history in every country and culture. The only difference is they/you have access to a keyboard and there’s no IQ test required to drive one. It’s just so much easier to make up your own adventure.

Much like villages came up with local superstitions through ignorance, really, but without the geographical constraints. Another way of looking it is that the village idiots are now unencumbered by the village.
Old 7th August 2021, 02:46 AM   #67
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Valley Forge. George Washington mandated vaccines for small pox for the entire Continental Army and anyone who entered camp.You'll find our Founding Fathers did far worse things than this government has done to prevent epidemics.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 03:39 AM   #68
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Valley Forge. George Washington mandated vaccines for small pox for the entire Continental Army and anyone who entered camp.You'll find our Founding Fathers did far worse things than this government has done to prevent epidemics.
Not to mention all the things that were done in 1918 to stop the Spanish flu, like mask mandates and the shaming of those that refused to wear one, and also school closures.....

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 03:48 AM   #69
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Meh, let them die. They seem to want to! Floridians who believe and follow DeSantis's advice are the sort of people the USA can well do without. They are purging themselves primarily.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 7th August 2021 at 03:49 AM.
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 04:03 AM   #70
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Meh, let them die. They seem to want to! Floridians who believe and follow DeSantis's advice are the sort of people the USA can well do without. They are purging themselves primarily.
This is the irony of the whole "THEY want to reduce the population" conspiracy nutcases claims. By not getting the vaccine and refusing to mask up and isolate, the nuts are now literally killing themselves off, egged on by the likes of De Santis and other Republican and Rightwing mouthpieces. The major worry is that while they are doing it they are going to allow the virus to mutate again and cause a variety that is not only more contagious and deadly than even the Delta variety but also one that the vaccine doesn't work against.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 7th August 2021 at 04:05 AM.
Old 7th August 2021, 05:43 AM   #71
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Operating rooms can have blood squirting all over the place and germs and sweat etc from the docs/nurses can drop into open bodies.

Have you ever thought about this?
Makes you wonder why they bother with masks.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 06:12 AM   #72
shemp

Problem is, they're not doing it fast enough. But if a few million of them were to die before the 2022 elections, it could make a big difference.

Old 7th August 2021, 06:51 AM   #73
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The surge bodes well for Democrats in 2022.
Old 7th August 2021, 06:51 AM   #74
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Problem is, they're not doing it fast enough. But if a few million of them were to die before the 2022 elections, it could make a big difference.
Doesn't have to be that big. Trump only won by about 3 points in Florida.
Old 7th August 2021, 07:02 AM   #75
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Operating rooms can have blood squirting all over the place and germs and sweat etc from the docs/nurses can drop into open bodies.

Have you ever thought about this?
So you just get your information from TV shows? If there is blood squirting about in an operating room then the surgeon has done something seriously wrong.

Old 7th August 2021, 07:05 AM   #76
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Useful idiotWP

Meanwhile, back in reality:

https://www.pnas.org/content/118/4/e2014564118

Our review of the literature offers evidence in favor of widespread mask use as source control to reduce community transmission: Nonmedical masks use materials that obstruct particles of the necessary size; people are most infectious in the initial period postinfection, where it is common to have few or no symptoms (45, 46, 141); nonmedical masks have been effective in reducing transmission of respiratory viruses; and places and time periods where mask usage is required or widespread have shown substantially lower community transmission.
Caroline, could you respond to the comment quoted above please.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2021, 07:14 AM   #77
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis is really ******* the neighbor's dog on COVID-19. He looked sort of presidential during the condo collapse and then flushed it all away with his weird ass response to the Delta varriant. He's now underwater on his approval rating with only 44 percent liking how he's doing his job. A strong, moderate Dem could probably unseat him in 2022. That would tank his 2024 presidential aspirations. Losing your office is not a great launch pad for a presidential campaign.
Old 7th August 2021, 07:47 AM   #78
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis is really ******* the neighbor's dog on COVID-19. He looked sort of presidential during the condo collapse and then flushed it all away with his weird ass response to the Delta varriant. He's now underwater on his approval rating with only 44 percent liking how he's doing his job. A strong, moderate Dem could probably unseat him in 2022. That would tank his 2024 presidential aspirations. Losing your office is not a great launch pad for a presidential campaign.
If his profile continues to rise in MAGA world, Trump won't like that. It will be bleakly amusing if/when he gets the Trump treatment, after all this time emulating the Very Stable Genius.
Old 7th August 2021, 07:55 AM   #79
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Not to mention all the things that were done in 1918 to stop the Spanish flu, like mask mandates and the shaming of those that refused to wear one, and also school closures.....
In 1905 Boston issued a mandate for its citizens to get vaccinated for smallpox. Teams of doctors along with police went door to door to vaccinate individuals. If you refused they held you down and vaccinated you.

This mandate was appealed to the United States Supreme Court. The court ruled that the mandate was legal.
Old 7th August 2021, 09:17 AM   #80
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

But the border*! The borrrderrrrrr!!!

*Squirrel

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics