IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 12th August 2021, 11:04 AM   #241
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
You have to understand the Right and the GOP base are terrified, I mean white as a ghost petrified, of the idea of the government doing something good and effectively. To them having to watch the government actually solve a problem will shatter their world view to the point we might as well force them to look at the creatures from Birdbox.

"Government is bad, and to prove it we will govern badly" is really not even the subtext anymore, it's the text.

Because they have perverted and toxified "freedom" as a concept into a sad, pathetic, edgelord game of "You can't tell me what to do" and think that's the same thing.
I absolutely agree with the highlighted. They're like teens who think they're really exerting their independence by showing their parents they don't have to follow house rules by doing stupid stuff that endangers them. "You can't tell me I have to be in at 10:00 PM so I'll just sneak out at 1:00 AM and go drink to the point of passing out with my buddies! That'll show you!"

CNN: "26 AZ Republicans urge governor to withhold public funding from schools requiring masks: 'It borders on anarchy and destabilizes the very foundation of our society to have local governments effectively refusing to comply with the law. It must not be allowed to stand.' "

Well then....maybe you should be asking yourselves just why so many local governments are refusing to comply with that law. Idiots.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 11:28 AM   #242
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I absolutely agree with the highlighted. They're like teens who think they're really exerting their independence by showing their parents they don't have to follow house rules by doing stupid stuff that endangers them. "You can't tell me I have to be in at 10:00 PM so I'll just sneak out at 1:00 AM and go drink to the point of passing out with my buddies! That'll show you!"

CNN: "26 AZ Republicans urge governor to withhold public funding from schools requiring masks: 'It borders on anarchy and destabilizes the very foundation of our society to have local governments effectively refusing to comply with the law. It must not be allowed to stand.' "

Well then....maybe you should be asking yourselves just why so many local governments are refusing to comply with that law. Idiots.
Same thing.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 11:37 AM   #243
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Same thing.
Speaking of AZ GOP idiots, how's that AZ senate " we just want questions answered election recount" going for them?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 05:21 PM   #244
slyjoe
Master Poster

Speaking of AZ GOP idiots, how's that AZ senate " we just want questions answered election recount" going for them?
They are trying to prevent Cyber Ninjas from having to turn over information, saying it's not public records. The Senate still has to turn over all the documents it has though. It's all still in appeals courts. Expedited review August 18 for whether they are public records. You know, since the public (Senate idiots) requested them and used public money to fund some of the audit.

The Ninjas raised over $5 million for the audit from private donors. What does that tell you about the impartiality of the audit? It was always a political hit job.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 06:46 PM   #245
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

They are trying to prevent Cyber Ninjas from having to turn over information, saying it's not public records. The Senate still has to turn over all the documents it has though. It's all still in appeals courts. Expedited review August 18 for whether they are public records. You know, since the public (Senate idiots) requested them and used public money to fund some of the audit.

The Ninjas raised over $5 million for the audit from private donors. What does that tell you about the impartiality of the audit? It was always a political hit job.
Thanks for the update. Of course it was a GOP hit job. No question about that to anyone with more than two brain cells to rub together. That lets out most of the AZ GOP senators.
Old 12th August 2021, 08:16 PM   #246
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Interestingly, Florida is only #24 in Covid deaths per 1m of population. The top 3 spots go to blue states, ironically.
Old 12th August 2021, 09:28 PM   #247
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Interestingly, Florida is only #24 in Covid deaths per 1m of population. The top 3 spots go to blue states, ironically.
For the entire pandemic. Those top 3 blue states seemed to have learned something in the mean time.

Florida is currently outpacing them for death by 3 to 1 and Florida has a smaller population than those 3 combined. After adjusting for that Florida is outpacing them 4.5 to 1.

Can you acknowledge how stupid that is? Florida is killing it's population when it has a choice. Those people who died in those other states died when there was no choice.

This pandemic is now optional. You can opt out. There is no excuse for not opting out. Only the stupid haven't opted out.

How, and it may be worse than I said because Florida isn't reporting it's full numbers right now. Way to go Florida!
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 09:36 PM   #248
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
For the entire pandemic. Those top 3 blue states seemed to have learned something in the mean time.

Florida is currently outpacing them for death by 3 to 1 and Florida has a smaller population than those 3 combined. After adjusting for that Florida is outpacing them 4.5 to 1.

Can you acknowledge how stupid that is? Florida is killing it's population when it has a choice. Those people who died in those other states died when there was no choice.

This pandemic is now optional. You can opt out. There is no excuse for not opting out. Only the stupid haven't opted out.

How, and it may be worse than I said because Florida isn't reporting it's full numbers right now. Way to go Florida!
What I can acknowledge is, Florida has a ways to go to catch them, when looking at overall deaths per 1m population. Pretty simple.

If they don't surpass them on that stat, then they made out better, statistically.

Nobody here was worried about praising them before the delta variant, lol.

Last edited by Warp12; 12th August 2021 at 09:40 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 10:01 PM   #249
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

What I can acknowledge is, Florida has a ways to go to catch them, when looking at overall deaths per 1m population. Pretty simple.

If they don't surpass them on that stat, then they made out better, statistically.

Heavily dense blue states suffered badly during the start of the pandemic when the experts were struggling to find out the cause and what could slow or stop it.

Now that we know masks and social distancing works, and that we have a vaccine, what’s the excuse that the dying red states have? Their hospital system is starting to fail, and they’re begging for ventilators.

Seems like those blue states at least learned something.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 10:02 PM   #250
Lurch
Graduate Poster

By your metric, if across the country 10,000 kids were diagnosed tomorrow with, say, measles, that would not reflect badly because there's still a long way to go to catch up with the historical numbers around the world.

Equating outcomes when the situations are very different is dishonest.

As stated, that the infection rates in FL are worse today, when a vaccine has been available for a few months, than in most places before any vaccine was available, is a mighty potent indictment of the citizenry.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 10:12 PM   #251
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

What I can acknowledge is, ...
worthless.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 10:13 PM   #252
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
DeathSantis loses in court.
Another win taking down over-regulation of businesses by Big Government bureaucrats using Communism to take away the freedoms of business owners.
Old 12th August 2021, 10:59 PM   #253
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What it tells me is someone doing that audit will be riding the gravy train for as long as they can milk it. And the people donating the money to run the train are bloody ******* idiots if they can't figure that out.

It's an awfully expensive faux audit just to make people think they are actually finding anything. They'd have been better off investing in a PAC.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 11:03 PM   #254
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Speaking of DeSantis' bizarro world, his soundbite for the day is the claim history or whoever will see that FL is looking out for the kids.

Words fail me.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th August 2021, 11:58 PM   #255
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Let's take a quick look at reality.

New York, one of the top 3, has an official total of 54,405 deaths. Of them, 30,060 occurred prior to May 26th, 2020. Of the rest, most were in the winter/spring spike from Dec 10th to May 5th this year, about 17,494 of them. Since may there have been around 2,000 deaths.

In Florida, they had just 2,442 deaths by May 2020. Since then this has climbed to 40,528 deaths. They had 15,308 deaths from Dec 10th to May 5th, and over 4,000 deaths since double the number of deaths in New York despite New York having a similar population size. (Florida has 2 million more people)

So what we see is that New York started out with a huge number of deaths while Floride had none. As New York got theirs under control, Florida's death toll started rising rapidly, and while it had a couple of spike bumps like elsewhere, unlike elsewhere it has remained steady since. New York had the winter spike and now deaths have tailed off to half that of Florida over the past 3 months.

As to cases, despite doing half the testing of New York, Florida has had 17,000 more cases per million people than New York does.

When you look at the death graphs for New Jersey and Massachusetts they show the same patterns as New York, an early 2020 spike and winter 2020 spike, and then just a few deaths a day outside of those spikes, flattening off in the last few months. Florida is very different. It has the two spikes, but it never really flattens out, the deaths between those spikes remaining at an average of about 50 deaths a day as it goes into a third spike.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 13th August 2021 at 12:01 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 12:07 AM   #256
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Speaking of DeSantis' bizarro world, his soundbite for the day is the claim history or whoever will see that FL is looking out for the kids.

Words fail me.
As in "Looking out for the kids so they can find them and kill them."
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 12:08 AM   #257
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
What it tells me is someone doing that audit will be riding the gravy train for as long as they can milk it. And the people donating the money to run the train are bloody ******* idiots if they can't figure that out.

It's an awfully expensive faux audit just to make people think they are actually finding anything. They'd have been better off investing in a PAC.
Or not. And I apologize for the DB link, it's just that it's not beyond a pay wall.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 12:39 AM   #258
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post

It really pisses me off when people so glaringly misrepresent things and then expect us to fall for it.
Old 13th August 2021, 12:53 AM   #259
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

That's not ironical - this is ironical,
Quote:
Dick Farrel, longtime conservative radio host in Palm Beach County, dies of COVID-19. He had refused to be vaccinated

The day after he tested positive for COVID-19 and eight days before he was hospitalized, Farrel called Dr. Anthony Fauci a “power tripping lying freak.” Fauci, chief medical adviser to the president and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, has advised seven presidents.

On July 2, Farrel described the Delta variant as “another avalanche of Footchi bull shif.” On July 3, Farrel referred to him as “FOOT-chee,” and opined that people weren’t “falling for” the notion of fourth, fifth or sixth waves of the virus...

Farrel didn’t think he had COVID at first. He “felt like a tickle in his throat. Just a scratch or something.”... “He thought he was going to kick this. We all did,” Farley said. “He didn’t know how sick he was.
Old 13th August 2021, 01:53 AM   #260
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
That's not ironical - this is ironical,
I'll agree, pretty ironic. He was an anti-vaxxer, though. I really have zero tolerance for ani-vaxxer's.

However, DeSantis is not an anti-vaxxer, and Florida's vaccination rates are very much in line with the national average.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:09 AM   #261
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

DeSantis' mouthpieces are also misrepresenting the Covid situation:
Quote:
Ferré and other DeSantis advisers and allies also faulted Biden for focusing so intensely on Florida while saying relatively little of Democrat-run states with higher death rates, such as Michigan, New York, New Jersey or Connecticut.
The higher death rates they're referring to are for the entire pandemic, before vaccines were available. But let's look at the last 7 days. Michigan, New York, New Jersey and Connecticut are not even mentioned:

Quote:
In overall numbers, the CDC reports that Florida had the most new cases in the past 7 days with 140,410. That’s about 20,000 more than the previous week.

Texas is second with 86,338 new cases this past week, almost 22,000 more than the previous week.

California is in third place with 55,746 new cases, about 3,000 more than the previous week.

Louisiana is in fourth place with 37,659 new cases, about 5,000 more than the previous week.

Georgia is now in fifth place with 33,544 new cases, about 12,000 more than the prior week.

Florida and Texas accounted for about 30 percent of all the new COVID-19 cases in the country this past week, leading to some criticism of the way the pandemic has been handled in those states.
Quote:
The CDC reports that Louisiana is the leader on a per capita basis, with 810 cases per 100,000 residents over the past 7 days.

Florida is second with 653 cases per 100,000 residents while Mississippi is third with 620 cases per 100,000.

Arkansas is fourth with 529 cases per 100,000 residents with Alabama in fifth at 479 new cases per 100,000 residents.
Quote:
Texas recorded the most COVID-19 deaths over the past 7 days with 361.

Florida was second with 277 deaths, while Louisiana was third with 234 deaths. Missouri was next with 215 deaths.
https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...2-4efa99fc9604

The only blue state in the top group for Covid cases is California but it is not included in the top four for deaths.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:15 AM   #262
Warp12
Graduate Poster

It really pisses me off when people so glaringly misrepresent things and then expect us to fall for it.
Your statement is more ironic than the death Dick Farrel, by far.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:22 AM   #263
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'll agree, pretty ironic. He was an anti-vaxxer, though. I really have zero tolerance for ani-vaxxer's.

However, DeSantis is not an anti-vaxxer, and Florida's vaccination rates are very much in line with the national average.
The national average is lower due to the red states so that's not as compelling as it sounds. FL is ranked at 24 out of 51 (states plus DC) for percentage of fully vaccinated residents.

Almost every state ranked by vaccination percentage from 1-23 is a blue state while those ranked 24 -51 are overwhelmingly red states.

Below are the states and Washington, D.C., ranked by the percentage of their population that has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to the CDC.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...-march-15.html

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th August 2021 at 02:23 AM.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:26 AM   #264
Susheel
Master Poster

You have no idea what the word ironic means do you?
Old 13th August 2021, 02:29 AM   #265
Warp12
Graduate Poster

The national average is lower due to the red states so that's not as compelling as it sounds. FL is ranked at 24 out of 51 (states plus DC) for percentage of fully vaccinated residents.

Almost every state ranked by vaccination percentage from 1-23 is a blue state while those ranked 24 -51 are overwhelmingly red states.

Below are the states and Washington, D.C., ranked by the percentage of their population that has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19, according to the CDC.

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...-march-15.html
Right...but DeSantis is not by any stretch an anti-vaxxer. And ranking 24 is not on the bottom, by far. Can you at least admit those things?
Old 13th August 2021, 02:29 AM   #266
Susheel
Master Poster

Because the National average has been skewed by red state numbers. Chalk up statistics as another subject your knowledge is sadly lacking.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:35 AM   #267
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not the one misrepresenting the current status of Covid cases and deaths by stating that
Quote:
but failing to mention that's since the pandemic began a year and a half ago and pre-vaccination. That would be you. In truth, FL is first in new cases and second for deaths in the last week.

Irony is you accusing me of misrepresenting things.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:37 AM   #268
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Right...but DeSantis is not by any stretch an anti-vaxxer. And ranking 24 is not on the bottom, by far. Can you at least admit those things?
I don't have to 'admit' anything as I never said he was an anti-vaxxer. I said he is anti-mask. Nor did I say FL ranked last for vaccination percentages.

Can you at least admit that you misrepresented where FL stands as far as Covid cases and deaths and that DeSantis' policies have had a direct effect on that status?

I'm off to bed.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 13th August 2021 at 02:40 AM.
Old 13th August 2021, 02:40 AM   #269
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Because the National average has been skewed by red state numbers. Chalk up statistics as another subject your knowledge is sadly lacking.
The leader in deaths per 1m is NJ, at 3003. They are 59.26% vaccinated.

Florida is 24th on that death list, at 1887 per 1m. They are 49.84% vaccinated.

We'll see where this all ends, in the final tally of corpses. Even then, people are willing to accept risks for a certain amount of civil liberty. Remember, right now we are at about a 2% mortality rate.

Last edited by Warp12; 13th August 2021 at 02:56 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 02:41 AM   #270
Belz...
Fiend God

That sounds like the reverse of what right-wingers do when discussing climate change. But in the end it's all the same thing, isn't it?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 02:43 AM   #271
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I don't have to 'admit' anything as I never said he was an anti-vaxxer. I said he is anti-mask. Nor did I say FL ranked last for vaccination percentages.

Can you at least admit that you misrepresented where FL stands as far as Covid cases and deaths and that DeSantis' policies have had a direct effect on that status?
No, I haven't misrepresented anything. Overall numbers are overall numbers. Easy to forget the dead of the past, right? You are probably holding out hope that things turn worse in FL, because "evil Republican".
Old 13th August 2021, 02:48 AM   #272
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
That sounds like the reverse of what right-wingers do when discussing climate change. But in the end it's all the same thing, isn't it?
Please, eliberate.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:13 AM   #273
Belz...
Fiend God

Please, eliberate.
What does "eliberate" mean?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 03:16 AM   #274
Susheel
Master Poster

Oh come on Belz... it was a typo...
Old 13th August 2021, 03:22 AM   #275
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Actually, not. But if it were, his sort of response would be typical.

It is like elaborating...but with a liberals slant.

Last edited by Warp12; 13th August 2021 at 03:23 AM.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:28 AM   #276
Susheel
Master Poster

Incidentally, have you gotten around figuring out how shoehorning cumulative statistics to muddy the waters of a discussion on the current status of case surges in red states is stupid?
Old 13th August 2021, 03:38 AM   #277
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Incidentally, have you gotten around figuring out how shoehorning cumulative statistics to muddy the waters of a discussion on the current status of case surges in red states is stupid?
I don't know...have you figured out how to quantify the value of liberty?

Last edited by Warp12; 13th August 2021 at 03:40 AM.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:46 AM   #278
Susheel
Master Poster

Yeah...that lol' dog whistle. It's being used in India too...the way it was used in places like Afghanistan before the 1980s. Essentially it adds up to, "My right to be an ass to those around me are being restrained." This has nothing to do with civil liberties...though a bunch of politicians and media machinery have convinced you that this is so...and making it your world view gives you a sense of self-importance. You want to know what and assault on civil liberties is? Come to India, when I go next to try and meet up with friends currently in jail for raising their voices against the saffron fascism here.
You normalised white privilege has convinced you that not getting your toilet paper in your favourite colour is an assault on your civil liberties.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:51 AM   #279
Belz...
Fiend God

You think his question was honest and genuine?

You don't think he understood exactly what I was refering to, especially after another poster pointed it out?

Old 13th August 2021, 03:53 AM   #280
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

No, I haven't misrepresented anything. Overall numbers are overall numbers. Easy to forget the dead of the past, right? You are probably holding out hope that things turn worse in FL, because "evil Republican".
No, De Santis is evil not because he's a Republican, but because he is knowingly feeding his people to the virus.

Yeah, other states have bigger numbers, when you include the pre-vaccine and first wave numbers, the numbers that died when doctors were still learning how to treat it, and when politicians made big mistakes in handling it because they didn't know any better. Governors like Cumo have blood on their hands, but they have it because they acted poorly out of ignorance. De Santis doesn't have that excuse. We now know exactly what the virus is, how it spreads, and how to stop it. He is going out of his way to prevent people from taking those measures and stopping this virus, he is actively helping it spread and kill people. That is what makes him evil. If the likes of Cumo and other Governors knew what we know now at the start of 2020 and had acted in the way that they did back then with all that knowledge, then they would deserve the same condemnation, but there is a major difference between allowing people to spread the virus because of ignorance and forcing the spread of the virus on people when you know full well what the results are going to be, but want to score political brownie points.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics