IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida politics , Ron DeSantis

Old 13th August 2021, 03:53 AM   #281
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
It is like elaborating...but with a liberals slant.
Yeah, facts and math are such a liberal ploy!

Quote:
I don't know...have you figured out how to quantify the value of liberty?
Yeah, facts and math are totally constraining your freedoms!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 03:54 AM   #282
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Yeah...that lol' dog whistle. It's being used in India too...the way it was used in places like Afghanistan before the 1980s. Essentially it adds up to, "My right to be an ass to those around me are being restrained." This has nothing to do with civil liberties...though a bunch of politicians and media machinery have convinced you that this is so...and making it your world view gives you a sense of self-importance. You want to know what and assault on civil liberties is? Come to India, when I go next to try and meet up with friends currently in jail for raising their voices against the saffron fascism here.
You normalised white privilege has convinced you that not getting your toilet paper in your favourite colour is an assault on your civil liberties.
Hell yeah.

But also, I don't care about your third world politics. Way OT, here.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:54 AM   #283
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
You think his question was honest and genuine?

You don't think he understood exactly what I was refering to, especially after another poster pointed it out?
Oh come on we all have come to know Warp 12 and his MO quite well. Just though focusing on a typo is a little...well...petty.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:55 AM   #284
Susheel
Master Poster

Hell yeah.

But also, I don't care about your third world politics. Way OT, here.
It's obvious that it isn't just third world politics you don't care about...you don't care about anything apart from you.
Old 13th August 2021, 03:57 AM   #285
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know...have you figured out how to quantify the value of liberty?
How much is your "liberty" not to wear a mask worth when you sit watching your kid through a window as they are gasping for breath on a ventilator and the doctor is telling you that they have done all they can and it's in God's hands now?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 13th August 2021 at 03:58 AM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 04:07 AM   #286
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
How much is your "liberty" not to wear a mask worth when you sit watching your kid through a window as they are gasping for breath on a ventilator and the doctor is telling you that they have done all they can and it's in God's hands now?
Quote:
Seven states reported no child deaths, while other states reported 0-0.03% of all child coronavirus cases resulting in death.
https://www.npr.org/2021/08/05/10250...n-the-rise-too

I guess this adds up to 358 child deaths, country-wide. Give me a break, already. You think the total is going to skyrocket under DeSantis?

Last edited by Warp12; 13th August 2021 at 04:09 AM.
Warp12 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 04:09 AM   #287
Susheel
Master Poster

I guess this adds up to 358 child deaths. Give me a break, already. You think the total is going to skyrocket under DeSantis?
So how big a number should it be before it becomes a crisis that would require your concern? From what I understand of your mindset...I guess it becomes serious if it only directly affects you.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:13 AM   #288
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I guess this adds up to 358 child deaths, country-wide. Give me a break, already. You think the total is going to skyrocket under DeSantis?
I'm sure the parents of this girl and others around the country would be soothed in their grief over your total lack of compassion.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 04:21 AM   #289
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Here's another bunch of Florida kids that didn't get to even see 2021 because of Covid. I am sure that their parents would be so glad to know that Covid doesn't harm kids.

And yes I do think the numbers will increase because the Delta variant is easier to catch and deadlier and De Sanltis' banning mask mandates in schools would allow the Delta variant to spread unchecked through the unvaccinated children of Florida. And you know what, no child has ever died from wearing a mask.

Old 13th August 2021, 04:24 AM   #290
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

It's a pretty interesting case study in Florida to compare the fake "resistance" that reactionaries engage in, which is mostly getting extremely mad at a fake thing and inflicting terror on innocent bystanders, the the type of resistance that is happening in response to DeSantis' disastrous management. Subordinate politicians and local communities are openly defying the anti-mask mandates and undermining the very authority of the Governor. Seeds of a mass non-compliance are being planted.

Curious how the real thing differs from violent fantasies of the LARPing reactionaries.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:24 AM   #291
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I'm sure the parents of this girl and others around the country would be soothed in their grief over your total lack of compassion.
Probably all due to DeSantis, right? Like, we should give up our liberty because a statistically insignificant number of children die? I guess that is one way to handle it.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:25 AM   #292
Susheel
Master Poster

Here's another bunch of Florida kids that didn't get to even see 2021 because of Covid. I am sure that their parents would be so glad to know that Covid doesn't harm kids.

And yes I do think the numbers will increase because the Delta variant is easier to catch and deadlier and De Sanltis' banning mask mandates in schools would allow the Delta variant to spread unchecked through the unvaccinated children of Florida. And you know what, no child has ever died from wearing a mask.
Look what another maskless experiment has resulted in...
Nearly 1,000 Mississippi school students test positive for COVID-19 in past week
Old 13th August 2021, 04:25 AM   #293
Susheel
Master Poster

Probably all due to DeSantis, right? Like, we should give up our liberty because a statistically insignificant number of children die? I guess that is one way to handle it.
You keep using that word...
Old 13th August 2021, 04:26 AM   #294
Belz...
Fiend God

Oh come on we all have come to know Warp 12 and his MO quite well. Just though focusing on a typo is a little...well...petty.
Again: his question was petty. Why should I respond to him as if it was genuine? He knows that what happened last year in state X has nothing to do with how state Y handles matters today. As usual he's using a pretense of using numbers objectively to cover for the fact that Florida is doing abysmally right now.

Last edited by Belz...; 13th August 2021 at 04:28 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 04:27 AM   #295
Belz...
Fiend God

Nobody is giving up their liberty. Get a grip.

Old 13th August 2021, 04:27 AM   #296
Susheel
Master Poster

Again: his question was petty. Why should I respond to him as if it was genuine?
Yeah...there is that...
Old 13th August 2021, 04:27 AM   #297
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Exactly what "liberty" are you giving up? Other than the liberty to be an arse by infecting others with a deadly disease.

Old 13th August 2021, 04:34 AM   #298
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Exactly what "liberty" are you giving up? Other than the liberty to be an arse by infecting others with a deadly disease.
If you ask such a question, there is no need for discussion.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:37 AM   #299
Susheel
Master Poster

Sounds like a fairly valid question. In fact it is a questions for which an intelligent answer might convince us of your stance. Let's be honest and say that your stance has no real logical foundation other than petulant contrarianism.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:37 AM   #300
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Look what another maskless experiment has resulted in...
Nearly 1,000 Mississippi school students test positive for COVID-19 in past week
And? All due to the masks, yo. Give me another break. How many are going to die, and how does this suddenly impact FL and DeSantis?
Old 13th August 2021, 04:42 AM   #301
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Clearly you don't know yourself or you'd just answer the question.

I don't recall anywhere in the US Constitution that says that the Government can't tell you to wear a mask for public safety reasons, perhaps you can point to it.

Old 13th August 2021, 04:42 AM   #302
Susheel
Master Poster

For one...De Santis is attempting the same strategy in Florida.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:48 AM   #303
Belz...
Fiend God

"If I can't be allowed to put other people's lives in danger, then what is there to life, anymore?"

Old 13th August 2021, 04:52 AM   #304
Warp12
Graduate Poster

"If I can't be allowed to put other people's lives in danger, then what is there to life, anymore?"
You mean like when tens of millions of people break the speed limit? Probably should install governors on all vehicles, starting In FL. If DeSantis will allow it, that is.
Old 13th August 2021, 04:53 AM   #305
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

I don't recall any amendment in the US Constitution that says that "the right to put other people's health and lives in danger shall not be infringed" either. Maybe Warp2 can point that one out while showing us where it says that the Government can't tell you to wear a mask for public safety.

Old 13th August 2021, 04:54 AM   #306
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You mean like when tens of millions of people break the speed limit? Probably should install governors on all vehicles, starting In FL. If DeSantis will allow it, that is.
You realise that you can be fined, arrested, have your license revoked or car confiscated, and even be jailed for speeding right?

Old 13th August 2021, 04:54 AM   #307
Belz...
Fiend God

You mean like when tens of millions of people break the speed limit?
Yes, exactly like that. You are not free to go to any speed you want, and that isn't an egregious infringement on your liberties. Thanks for making my point for me.

Old 13th August 2021, 04:56 AM   #308
Warp12
Graduate Poster

You realise that you can be fined, arrested, have your license revoked or car confiscated, and even be jailed for speeding right?
Also, we should outlaw drinking and smoking. Too many lives at risk. We should start in FL, if possible. Again, if DeSantis allows it.
Old 13th August 2021, 05:04 AM   #309
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Also, we should outlaw drinking and smoking. Too many lives at risk. We should start in FL, if possible. Again, if DeSantis allows it.
Do you realise that we have age restrictions for the use of alcohol and cigarettes? Right? And that you can be arrested and jailed for drinking too much? You also realise that 33 states have laws allowing cities to have pass alcohol bans, and there are many counties in the US that either ban the sale of alcohol or even its consumption within the county limits? Not to mention that it was outright banned in the 18th amendment before being reinstated in the 21st. Heck, you are failing so badly at this you literally picked something that was Constitutionally banned at one time.

Oh, and yeah, workplace smoking bans and other smoking bans are totally a thing, even in the US.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 13th August 2021 at 05:05 AM.
Old 13th August 2021, 05:09 AM   #310
Susheel
Master Poster

Laws already exist about where you can smoke and drink. Als, they are quite strict about drinking and driving and your precious "personal liberties" will definitely be "infringed upon" if you are caught doing it.
Old 13th August 2021, 05:10 AM   #311
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

You may not like my opinion on what freedom means.
Here's the thing though. Your opinion should not be forced on other people as law when there are lives at stake, especially when your opinion is in opposition to the science.

The fact is you can't show what liberties you are losing in wearing a mask, all you can do is wave your hands in the air and cry "but my freedoms!" which doesn't absolutely nothing.

Old 13th August 2021, 05:25 AM   #312
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

How do you feel about DeSantis?
A) He's an idiot and a monster.
B) No I will not clarify that to your satisfication.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 05:45 AM   #313
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Soooo.... how about those freedoms you have lost because of mask mandates?
I don't feel I have lost any freedoms. I choose to wear a mask. And, if so inclined, I might choose not to wear one. Keyword:choose.
Old 13th August 2021, 05:53 AM   #314
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

I don't feel I have lost any freedoms. I choose to wear a mask. And, if so inclined, I might choose not to wear one. Keyword:choose.

If you owned a place of business, would you choose to force customers to wear clothing in your store, or would you choose to let them choose nudity? Would you choose to disallow customers having water gun fights in your store, or would you choose to let them choose to have fun with their Super Soakers? Would you choose to require them to wear masks to reduce their risk of spreading disease during a pandemic, or would you choose to let them choose not to?

It's nice having choices, isn't it? DeSantis doesn't want you to have that last choice.

Actually, he doesn't want you to have that first choice either. Florida has health and public decency laws like in all states that require customers to wear pants even if you the business owner would prefer to allow them not to. Yet no conservatives anywhere are complaining about those laws. Why not, do you think?
Old 13th August 2021, 05:54 AM   #315
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Choice is very important to me. For instance I'm choosing to take away your choice" is very Republican logic at this point.

"Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." - Valery Legasov
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th August 2021, 05:55 AM   #316
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
If you owned a place of business, would you choose to force customers to wear clothing in your store, or would you choose to let them choose nudity? Would you choose to disallow customers having water gun fights in your store, or would you choose to let them choose to have fun with their Super Soakers? Would you choose to require them to wear masks to reduce their risk of spreading disease during a pandemic, or would you choose to let them choose not to?

It's nice having choices, isn't it? DeSantis doesn't want you to have that last choice.

Actually, he doesn't want you to have that first choice either. Florida has health and public decency laws like in all states that require customers to wear pants even if you the business owner would prefer to allow them not to. Yet no conservatives anywhere are complaining about those laws. Why not, do you think?
Perfect analogy.
Old 13th August 2021, 05:57 AM   #317
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Perfect analogy.

"Freedoms I don't like are not at all analogous to freedoms I like." Perfect (as in perfectly self-centered) Republican logic.
Old 13th August 2021, 06:03 AM   #318
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

#winning

Quote:
BREAKING: WFOR is reporting that 4 teachers from Broward county have died of covid in a single day.

Three were unvaccinated. We donít know the status of the 4th. https://t.co/uT4XW7irc5
https://twitter.com/brikeilarcnn/sta...019189249?s=19
Old 13th August 2021, 06:04 AM   #319
Belz...
Fiend God

You might also choose not to wear a seatbelt, choose to steal someone's TV or choose to drown a small child in a river. Liberty isn't just about bare choises.

Last edited by Belz...; 13th August 2021 at 06:05 AM.
Old 13th August 2021, 06:05 AM   #320
Belz...
Fiend God

Perfect analogy.
"Oops, these examples are devastating to my position. Better to find a glib way to avoid addressing them!"

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics