IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 21st August 2021, 07:16 AM   #41
theprestige
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 53,565
Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Selling out. As in, here's his location, send the money to Kusher.
Right, with all the fat stacks of untraceable cash the Taliban has lying around.

This is silly. At least the Kashoggi theory has dots to connect, even if we disagree about the plausibility of the connections. This theory doesn't even have dots. How would Trump or anyone in his administration have good info on the location of anyone in Afghanistan? Also, they're already in Afghanistan. The Taliban could get much better info from the locals, at a fraction of the price Trump would charge. Or for free. They're already taking over. They're probably already going door to door, interrogating citizens and rounding up undesirables.

Also, what exactly are these journalists supposed to be blowing the whistle on, that the Taliban needs to shut them down so badly? What exactly do you imagine they're supposed to imagine Trump has to offer them, at a price worth paying?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 08:06 AM   #42
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,258
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Right, with all the fat stacks of untraceable cash the Taliban has lying around.

This is silly. At least the Kashoggi theory has dots to connect, even if we disagree about the plausibility of the connections. This theory doesn't even have dots. How would Trump or anyone in his administration have good info on the location of anyone in Afghanistan? Also, they're already in Afghanistan. The Taliban could get much better info from the locals, at a fraction of the price Trump would charge. Or for free. They're already taking over. They're probably already going door to door, interrogating citizens and rounding up undesirables.

Also, what exactly are these journalists supposed to be blowing the whistle on, that the Taliban needs to shut them down so badly? What exactly do you imagine they're supposed to imagine Trump has to offer them, at a price worth paying?
You said it was "hard to imagine" it being handled any worse. Something being stupid, petty, ineffectual, self-defeating or pointlessly cruel has never stopped the Trump administration before, why should it be a barrier to your imagination now?
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 08:34 AM   #43
crescent
Illuminator
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,195
Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Why? I can understand why the troops can't get out until ordered to, but why should they be responsible for getting civilians out too? Was there some reason they couldn't get themselves out earlier?
I gather that many of the civilians in Kabul were just as surprised to see to the Taliban arrive so quickly in Kabul as anyone. They thought they had more time - and it is a hard, hard thing to understand that you can't live in your own nation anymore upon pain of death. They probably thought there was some chance of holding out long enough for their military to firm up again, or at least slow down the advance. (ETA: They were not totally wrong. The Afghan National Army now claims to have recaptured three districts. At the 9:28 mark in this scrolling feed.)

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
The troops can't leave en masse. Have you ever been to an airport? Hence the maths problem.
The maths problem can be managed. Secure a smaller perimeter pull back from all of the country except Kabul itself. Leave troops up in the air, literally, with bombs really to fall. I mean, the Taliban is not threatening the airport, they are letting our troops get out just fine. It's everyone else that is the problem.

I think if we would have anticipated the potential for the collapse of the Afghan military and planned on holding Kabul on our own, unilaterally, for a few weeks or a month to manage the evacuation, the Taliban might have gone along with that so long as they were confident that we were actually going to leave and were actually evacuating people.

Last edited by crescent; 21st August 2021 at 08:58 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 09:37 AM   #44
theprestige
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 53,565
Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I think the situation wouldn't be much different if Trump, Biden, Obama, or Bush did it.

It's a maths problem.

Once you start removing troops, there become fewer and fewer troops and allies to protect those that are left.

The more troops you ship out, the less troops on the ground to protect the ones left.

I don't see any concrete examples of how the maths problem can be solved by any political party.
That's an easy one. Don't remove the troops until everyone else is out. Then remove the troops from the rest of the country but secure Kabul. Then withdraw from the rest of Kabul to the airport. Then fly the last few security teams out of the airport and never look back.

The scenario where Kabul is ceded before all of your people have made it to the airport, and then not sending troops out to secure safe passage for them, should never have happened.

Biden could have put a stop to the troop withdrawal, and prioritized the safe and secure evacuation of civilians, on day one of his presidency. The math isn't actually that hard.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 09:40 AM   #45
theprestige
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 53,565
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Trump claims that the Taliban wouldn't have taken over if the was president because they would have been scared if him.

It is absurd to suppose that the Taliban would be scared of the man they had been playing so beautifully (remember when he was willingly spouting Taliban propoganda by saying they would take over the job of hunting terrorists?)
What I find hilarious* is that nobody on Biden's team noticed the absurdity until it was too late to do anything about it.

What do you think his reasoning was? "They'll fear me even more than they feared Trump"? "They'll love me as much as they hated Trump"? "Once I receive my Barack Obama Honorary Nobel Peace Prize for Not Being Donald Trump" they'll see what a great guy I am and cut me a break"?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 09:42 AM   #46
theprestige
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 53,565
Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
You said it was "hard to imagine" it being handled any worse. Something being stupid, petty, ineffectual, self-defeating or pointlessly cruel has never stopped the Trump administration before, why should it be a barrier to your imagination now?
There's imagining realistic mistakes a more incompetent president might make. Then there's fantasizing about scenarios that make no sense at all. Of course I can fantasize - as you so clearly demonstrated, fantasizing is easy. Imagining realistic scenarios is where I get stuck.

Notice that none of my objections are based on the premise that Trump wouldn't be stupid, petty, etc. They're all based on the obvious impracticality of such an arrangement, and the obvious absence of a pragmatic reason for the Taliban to make such an arrangement. Even if we assume that Trump would at least pretend he had reliable info about the location of journalists in Afghanistan, there's no reason to think the Taliban would believe him. There's no reason to assume the Taliban would think his info was worth paying for when they could get it much cheaper themselves. And there's no reason to think the Taliban would have a way to move that kind of money through the international banking system. Assuming they even have that kind of money, which there's no reason to assume.

Given how realistically bad Trump was, I'm always amazed at how many criticisms of him are actually just absurd fantasies.

Last edited by theprestige; 21st August 2021 at 09:49 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 12:53 PM   #47
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 29,353
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
As of earlier this week, the conventional wisdom on this board seemed to be that this is Trump's plan and we're seeing exactly how Trump would have handled it.


The point you're missing, is that no matter how bad a current Trump plan is, Trump can always find some way to make it worse. So, no, this isn't "exactly how Trump would have handled it", because even Trump wouldn't have actually followed his plan; he'd be amending it based on every stray thought that bounced through his head.

Those videos of people trying to climb on top of the planes as they were leaving? Trump would probably have people out there welding new seats to the top of the planes.
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 02:13 PM   #48
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
There's imagining realistic mistakes a more incompetent president might make. Then there's fantasizing about scenarios that make no sense at all. Of course I can fantasize - as you so clearly demonstrated, fantasizing is easy. Imagining realistic scenarios is where I get stuck.

Notice that none of my objections are based on the premise that Trump wouldn't be stupid, petty, etc. They're all based on the obvious impracticality of such an arrangement, and the obvious absence of a pragmatic reason for the Taliban to make such an arrangement. Even if we assume that Trump would at least pretend he had reliable info about the location of journalists in Afghanistan, there's no reason to think the Taliban would believe him. There's no reason to assume the Taliban would think his info was worth paying for when they could get it much cheaper themselves. And there's no reason to think the Taliban would have a way to move that kind of money through the international banking system. Assuming they even have that kind of money, which there's no reason to assume.

Given how realistically bad Trump was, I'm always amazed at how many criticisms of him are actually just absurd fantasies.
The Taliban control about 80% of the world's opium trade. They've got lots of money.

Quote:
The Taliban banned poppy growing in 2000 as they sought international legitimacy, but faced a popular backlash and later mostly changed their stance, according to experts.

Despite the threats posed by Afghanistan's illicit drug business, experts noted, the United States and other nations rarely mention in public the need to address the trade - estimated by the UNODC at more than 80% of global opium and heroin supplies.

"We've stood by on the sidelines and, unfortunately, allowed the Taliban to become probably the largest funded non-designated terrorist organization on the globe," said a U.S. official with knowledge of Afghanistan's drug trade.

"The U.S. and international partners have continued to pull out and not addressed poppy cultivation," the official said on condition of anonymity. "What you're going to find is that it has exploded."
https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...an-2021-08-16/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 06:31 PM   #49
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing
 
thaiboxerken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 31,785
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
The point you're missing, is that no matter how bad a current Trump plan is, Trump can always find some way to make it worse. So, no, this isn't "exactly how Trump would have handled it", because even Trump wouldn't have actually followed his plan; he'd be amending it based on every stray thought that bounced through his head.

Those videos of people trying to climb on top of the planes as they were leaving? Trump would probably have people out there welding new seats to the top of the planes.
Nah, he would have had our military shooting them because they're not 'Mericans.
__________________
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 06:43 PM   #50
theprestige
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Antimemetics Division
Posts: 53,565
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The Taliban control about 80% of the world's opium trade. They've got lots of money.


https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...an-2021-08-16/
Fair enough. Now do the other points.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 07:14 PM   #51
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 42,639
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The Taliban control about 80% of the world's opium trade. They've got lots of money.


https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-p...an-2021-08-16/
This is one of those things that has totally confused me when it came to the war there. With all the vast amounts of blowedie-uppie stuff we threw at that godforsaken pile of dirt, we somehow never decimated the poppy fields?
Seems like it'd be easy enough to bankrupt them overnight, if anyone really wanted to.
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 09:33 PM   #52
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 15,676
Who needs opium if you got fentanyl?
__________________
“You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”
-Anne Lamott
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 11:12 PM   #53
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Fair enough. Now do the other points.
Why? You said "assuming they even have that kind of money". I was just letting you know where a lot of their money comes from. Sheesh. No good deed goes unpunished.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 11:16 PM   #54
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
This is one of those things that has totally confused me when it came to the war there. With all the vast amounts of blowedie-uppie stuff we threw at that godforsaken pile of dirt, we somehow never decimated the poppy fields?
Seems like it'd be easy enough to bankrupt them overnight, if anyone really wanted to.
You might find this interesting.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/afghani...ivation-jumps/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 05:13 AM   #55
dellarte
Illuminator
 
dellarte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3,023
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Given how realistically bad Trump was, I'm always amazed at how many criticisms of him are actually just absurd fantasies.
Trump was worse than Nixon. Trump handed Team Biden a "hospital pass" when it came to withdrawing troops amid hundreds of Trump presidential proclamations for Biden to sift through for undoing.

Last edited by dellarte; 22nd August 2021 at 05:14 AM.
dellarte is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 05:55 AM   #56
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 5,694
Originally Posted by dellarte View Post
Trump was worse than Nixon. Trump handed Team Biden a "hospital pass" when it came to withdrawing troops amid hundreds of Trump presidential proclamations for Biden to sift through for undoing.
Trump gave the Taliban a Propaganda bonanza so the Afghanistan government Collapsed under the inevitable defeat!
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 12:11 PM   #57
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
At his Covid-a-thon in AL, Trump said:“Joe Biden was going on vacation as Afghanistan was going to Hell"

This coming from the man who golfed his way through the first year of the pandemic while hundreds of thousands of Americans were dying. And then claimed he got so much work done while on the green.

Biden was constantly in contact with his advisors while he was at Camp David.

Quote:
On Saturday, the White House released an image of Biden, seated alone in a secure conference room at Camp David, showing him conferring with Vice President Harris and his national security team via video conference about what was described as “the ongoing efforts to draw down our civilian footprint in Afghanistan.”
Quote:
By Saturday night, shortly after 8, Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer’s team invited lawmakers to a 10:30 a.m. Sunday phone briefing with top administration officials — including Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin, Blinken and Gen. Mark A. Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff — according to one Democratic aide familiar with the emails. The briefing lasted about an hour, according to one person familiar with it, and the officials took questions from senators, which ranged from “supportive to antagonistic,” according to another person who was on the call, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.
Quote:
Later Sunday, the White House pushed out another photo showing Biden, again alone at Camp David, meeting by video with Harris and his national security team to discuss the withdrawal, evacuations for Afghan allies and what was described as “the ongoing security situation in Kabul.” Officials on Sunday also began discussing the possibility of having Biden return to the White House as early as Monday to deliver a speech on the unfolding crisis.
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...=353686&page=2
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 05:45 PM   #58
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Pompeo and Trump are trying to rewrite history.

Pompeo claimed Afghanistan was stable after the agreement with the Taliban last Sept. This is a lie. In fact, the Taliban escalated its violence right after the deal was made according to the Defense Dept.

Nikki Haley tweeted: To have our Generals say that they are depending on diplomacy with the Taliban is an unbelievable scenario. Negotiating with the Taliban is like dealing with the devil.

And yet that is exactly what Trump and Pompeo did: negotiated with the Taliban. And Haley praised it.

Christopher Miller, the SecDef in the final days of Trump's administration wrote:

Trump's Plan to Exit Afghanistan Was a Ruse, His Final SecDef Says.

Quote:
Chris Miller now says talk of a full withdrawal was a “play” to convince a Taliban-led government to keep U.S. counterterrorism forces.
Quote:
Miller said the president’s public promise to finish withdrawing U.S. forces by May 1, as negotiated with the Taliban, was actually a “play” that masked the Trump administration’s true intentions: to convince Afghan President Ashraf Ghani to quit or accept a bitter power-sharing agreement with the Taliban, and to keep some U.S. troops in Afghanistan for counterrorism missions.

In a conversation this week with Defense One, Miller revealed that while serving as the top counterterrorism official on the National Security Council in 2019, he commissioned a wargame that determined that the United States could continue to conduct counterterrorism in Afghanistan with just 800 American military personnel on the ground. And by the end of 2020, when he was acting defense secretary, Miller asserted, many Trump administration officials expected that the United States would be able to broker a new shared government in Afghanistan composed primarily of Taliban officials. The new government would then permit U.S. forces to remain in country to support the Afghan military and fight terrorist elements.

That plan never happened, in part because Trump lost his reelection bid in November. And at least one other former senior Trump administration official questioned Miller’s retelling. But in revealing it, Miller challenged recent assertions that Trump is to blame for setting up this week’s chaotic scenes unfolding across Kabul. Miller alleged that despite Trump’s frequent public pledges to end the Afghanistan war and bring home all U.S. troops, many senior national security officials in his administration believed a total withdrawal was not inevitable.
And yet Trump bragged about 'boxing Biden in' and that Biden "couldn't stop the process" last June at an Ohio rally.

Three dimensional chess?

Last edited by Stacyhs; 22nd August 2021 at 05:48 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2021, 11:34 PM   #59
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 15,676
"I'm right, because my guy didn't mean what they said, and you are wrong because your guy didn't say what I think he meant".
__________________
“You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”
-Anne Lamott
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th August 2021, 11:17 PM   #60
Warp12
Graduate Poster
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,635
I don't know what Trump would have done differently. However, because he is prone to rogue behavior, I don't think the Taliban would be dictating terms to him. This would lead to a Trump power flex, no doubt.

One thing that history has shown is that Islamic extremists don't respect weakness. They laugh at diplomacy...much like Trump.
__________________
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 02:29 AM   #61
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,369
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I don't know what Trump would have done differently. However, because he is prone to rogue behavior, I don't think the Taliban would be dictating terms to him. This would lead to a Trump power flex, no doubt.
I'm not so sure. Whenever he's been faced with a person or group who project strength, Donald Trump has simply rolled over and given them what they want - including the Taliban in their 2020 Doha negotiations.

His recent praise of the Taliban's fighting prowess would seem to indicate that Donald Trump continues to think of them as a powerful group.

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
One thing that history has shown is that Islamic extremists don't respect weakness. They laugh at diplomacy...much like Trump.
Force seems to antagonise them and act as a recruiting banner.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 02:34 AM   #62
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 23,805
Trump would have been a bigger disaster with all of his hate preaching. Having said that, whilst it was fine for Biden to mention his son, Beau, in passing re the 13 US military personnel massacred yesterday, it was wholly inappropriate for Biden to go on and on and on about his son, given the recent sudden deaths should be at the forefront of his mind.
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 02:48 AM   #63
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 31,106
Trump is a total moron, and even the idea that he negotiated a deal with the Taliban purely to give Biden a headache flatters Trump with the idea he can think that far in the future and make calculations. The fact is that he thought that he was going to be re-elected or that he would be able to overturn the election results somehow, so he clearly thought the Taliban takeover was going to happen on his watch.

Of course it would have been a disaster, but frankly it is pretty irrelevant. Pointing to Trump and saying he would have messed things up more is no excuse for messing things up.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 06:37 AM   #64
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 11,039
In many ways, Trump would have an easier time simply because he wouldn't even pretend to care about the wellbeing of our Afghani allies.

Trump would probably adopt an explicit line of "**** 'em" and just yank out all the Americans. I'm sure he'd find some way to screw it up, but being an absolute piece of human garbage does simplify this whole problem a bit.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 07:11 AM   #65
Warp12
Graduate Poster
 
Warp12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1,635
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
In many ways, Trump would have an easier time simply because he wouldn't even pretend to care about the wellbeing of our Afghani allies.

Trump would probably adopt an explicit line of "**** 'em" and just yank out all the Americans. I'm sure he'd find some way to screw it up, but being an absolute piece of human garbage does simplify this whole problem a bit.
When speaking of the Taliban taking over, I would like to think that he would say to the American people: "We did our best to help these primitive people. Yes, the Taliban have taken over...but, as they say, you can't rape the willing".
__________________
"It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see." - Henry David Thoreau

Last edited by Warp12; 27th August 2021 at 07:22 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 09:35 AM   #66
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 32,369
Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
When speaking of the Taliban taking over, I would like to think that he would say to the American people: "We did our best to help these primitive people. Yes, the Taliban have taken over...but, as they say, you can't rape the willing".
I doubt it.

He would have gone off on a wandering monologue in which he would have stated what great fighters the Taliban are and what great guys they are, talked about what a great deal he negotiated with the Taliban and how no-one else could possibly have negotiated such a great deal, the best deal ever. He'd have blamed everything on (in no particular order), Obama, NATO allies, The Squad and China and would have lavished praise on Vladimir Putin.

He'd then ramble on for another hour or so on unrelated matters.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 09:58 AM   #67
crescent
Illuminator
 
crescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,195
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I doubt it.

He would have gone off on a wandering monologue in which he would have stated what great fighters the Taliban are and what great guys they are, talked about what a great deal he negotiated with the Taliban and how no-one else could possibly have negotiated such a great deal, the best deal ever. He'd have blamed everything on (in no particular order), Obama, NATO allies, The Squad and China and would have lavished praise on Vladimir Putin.

He'd then ramble on for another hour or so on unrelated matters.
Don't forget the stupid nicknames. Trumpy lovvvvvvves to make up the stupid nicknames!
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 12:18 PM   #68
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 52,695
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Trump is a total moron, and even the idea that he negotiated a deal with the Taliban purely to give Biden a headache flatters Trump with the idea he can think that far in the future and make calculations. The fact is that he thought that he was going to be re-elected or that he would be able to overturn the election results somehow, so he clearly thought the Taliban takeover was going to happen on his watch.

Of course it would have been a disaster, but frankly it is pretty irrelevant. Pointing to Trump and saying he would have messed things up more is no excuse for messing things up.
I hate Trump like I have hated no other US politician in my lifetime, but I don't think he made the deal to hand a poisoned chalice to Biden, for no other reason then Trump fully expected to be reelected when he made the deal.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 12:39 PM   #69
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I hate Trump like I have hated no other US politician in my lifetime, but I don't think he made the deal to hand a poisoned chalice to Biden, for no other reason then Trump fully expected to be reelected when he made the deal.
I agree. He wanted to be the prez who got us out of Afghanistan.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 01:13 PM   #70
BrooklynBaby
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,119
LOL. Somehow, Democrats don't seem to have noticed that Biden is the dumbest and most incompetent military leader in American history, and it has nothing to do with Trump. Biden closed the Bagram base and left all of the weapons, helicopters, and planes there for the Taliban while shutting down one of our only two ways of getting out of there. How stupid can one person be? How can anyone support this president, who is clearly guilty of treason?
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 01:28 PM   #71
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
LOL. Somehow, Democrats don't seem to have noticed that Biden is the dumbest and most incompetent military leader in American history, and it has nothing to do with Trump. Biden closed the Bagram base and left all of the weapons, helicopters, and planes there for the Taliban while shutting down one of our only two ways of getting out of there. How stupid can one person be? How can anyone support this president, who is clearly guilty of treason?
You forgot the "he has dementia" part.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 01:33 PM   #72
Michel H
Master Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,285
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
LOL. Somehow, Democrats don't seem to have noticed that Biden is the dumbest and most incompetent military leader in American history, and it has nothing to do with Trump. Biden closed the Bagram base and left all of the weapons, helicopters, and planes there for the Taliban while shutting down one of our only two ways of getting out of there. How stupid can one person be? How can anyone support this president, who is clearly guilty of treason?
Wikipedia explains:
Quote:
As part of the US withdrawal from Afghanistan, after nearly 20 years of continuous US presence at the site, the Bagram Air Base was handed back to the Afghan government on 1 July 2021.[32][33][34][35] The last remaining U.S. troops left the base by shutting off the electricity and slipping away in the night without notifying the Afghan Armed Forces.[36][37] The base was looted by local civilians soon after US forces left the area. The Afghan National Army later took control of the area and arrested some looters.[38]

On 15 August 2021, Afghan troops stationed there gave up their positions to the Taliban, losing control of the airfield.[39]
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagram...d#21st_century).

I don't see any obvious mistake or "treason" by Biden there. He wanted perhaps to give some good military harware to the Afghan forces, hoping they would make good use of it.
Michel H is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 01:46 PM   #73
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 5,404
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
LOL. Somehow, Democrats don't seem to have noticed that Biden is the dumbest and most incompetent military leader in American history, and it has nothing to do with Trump. Biden closed the Bagram base and left all of the weapons, helicopters, and planes there for the Taliban while shutting down one of our only two ways of getting out of there. How stupid can one person be? How can anyone support this president, who is clearly guilty of treason?
Is this the reason you want a one party conservative fascist state in the USA?
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 02:17 PM   #74
sackett
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Detroit
Posts: 6,837
You can tell by the way he smiles.

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
You forgot the "he has dementia" part.
Why he positively has HIGHWAY dementia!
__________________
If you would learn a man's character, give him authority.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 02:41 PM   #75
Hercules56
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,092
He would have pulled our troops out by May 1st, as he promised, and taken ZERO Afghans with us.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 02:43 PM   #76
Hercules56
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,092
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
LOL. Somehow, Democrats don't seem to have noticed that Biden is the dumbest and most incompetent military leader in American history, and it has nothing to do with Trump. Biden closed the Bagram base and left all of the weapons, helicopters, and planes there for the Taliban....
Let me stop you right there: WHO says we left the base and the weapons for the Taliban? Were the Taliban expected to take control as soon as we left? Who immediately took possession of the weapons and base after we left?
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 02:46 PM   #77
Hercules56
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,092
Let's remember one important thing: Trump made a deal with the Taliban, that we would LEAVE. In exchange, they stopped attacking us. If Biden backed away from the deal, and decided to keep thousands of troops in the country for another say 5 years, Taliban would have launched attacks on us again and we would have more dead soldiers. And then Fox News would blame Biden for ending a "good deal that spared American lives".
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 03:29 PM   #78
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 21,470
Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
Let's remember one important thing: Trump made a deal with the Taliban, that we would LEAVE. In exchange, they stopped attacking us. If Biden backed away from the deal, and decided to keep thousands of troops in the country for another say 5 years, Taliban would have launched attacks on us again and we would have more dead soldiers. And then Fox News would blame Biden for ending a "good deal that spared American lives".
You got that right. As far as the GOP goes, Biden was damned if he did and damned if he didn't.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 11:06 PM   #79
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,203
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
What I find hilarious* is that nobody on Biden's team noticed the absurdity until it was too late to do anything about it.

What do you think his reasoning was? "They'll fear me even more than they feared Trump"? "They'll love me as much as they hated Trump"? "Once I receive my Barack Obama Honorary Nobel Peace Prize for Not Being Donald Trump" they'll see what a great guy I am and cut me a break"?
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 11:13 PM   #80
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing
 
PhantomWolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 21,203
Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
He would have pulled our troops out by May 1st, as he promised, and taken ZERO Afghans with us.
Just how Republicans want it, you know those same ones that are bemoaning Biden letting thousands of "terrorists" into the US because they are evacuating their Afghan Allies, and at the same time demanding that if one ally is left behind that Biden is impeached.
__________________

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:24 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.