IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th August 2021, 04:44 PM   #121
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Should they? no idea
But you have some idea. If you didn't, you wouldn't have asked.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 04:46 PM   #122
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Because you and I disagree and I don't accept your interpretation. An atheist who mere rejects claims about deities is not making ila claim
You don't just reject a claim. You have an opinion. Why not defend it? I know you say you don't but everyone knows that's a lie. You're not Socrates. You're something much less.

Last edited by Craig4; 27th August 2021 at 05:02 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 05:09 PM   #123
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
You don't just reject a claim. You have an opinion. Why not defend it? I know you say you don't but everyone knows that's a lie. You're not Socrates. You're something much less.
I reject all claims on the issue.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2021, 06:39 PM   #124
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Pyrrho perhaps. Not name calling but an attempt at understanding.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 02:37 AM   #125
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I reject all claims on the issue.
And yet you have positions on issues.
Old 28th August 2021, 04:24 AM   #126
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

And yet you have positions on issues.
And yet I don't
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 06:06 AM   #127
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

And yet I don't
What causes you to doubt that we owe something to the Afghans who worked with us?
Old 28th August 2021, 06:42 AM   #128
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

What causes you to doubt that we owe something to the Afghans who worked with us?
The same thing that causes me to doubt the claim that "we" don't owe something to the Afghans, rejection of claims without evidence.

I reject both claims that something is owed and something is not owed. Therefore I doubt all.
Old 28th August 2021, 08:36 AM   #129
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The same thing that causes me to doubt the claim that "we" don't owe something to the Afghans, rejection of claims without evidence.

I reject both claims that something is owed and something is not owed. Therefore I doubt all.
That's still a position. It's not well thought out and coherent but a position none the less. Your failure to apply intellectual rigor is immaterial.
Old 28th August 2021, 08:39 AM   #130
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

That's still a position. It's not well thought out and coherent but a position none the less. Your failure to apply intellectual rigor is immaterial.
The reason for the position is obvious. No one making a claim on the issue has presented sufficient evidence to convince me.

But I'm not even looking for that here. I just want to here arguments for it, even unconvincing ones.
Old 28th August 2021, 08:42 AM   #131
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The reason for the position is obvious. No one making a claim on the issue has presented sufficient evidence to convince me.

But I'm not even looking for that here. I just want to here arguments for it, even unconvincing ones.
You go first.
Old 28th August 2021, 08:45 AM   #132
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You go first.
Argue for what? I'm not sure one can argue for not having a position. That is like asking a person going to here a debate on a topic they don't hold a position why they oppose a side of the debate. It doesn't make sense.
Old 28th August 2021, 10:44 AM   #133
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Argue for what? I'm not sure one can argue for not having a position. That is like asking a person going to here a debate on a topic they don't hold a position why they oppose a side of the debate. It doesn't make sense.
But you have a take on this. Not being sure is a position. Defend it.
Old 28th August 2021, 12:08 PM   #134
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

But you have a take on this. Not being sure is a position. Defend it.
There isn't a defense for a lack of position. No position on a novel question is the neutral state....infants don't have to defend their lack of position on issues.
Old 28th August 2021, 12:20 PM   #135
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

There isn't a defense for a lack of position. No position on a novel question is the neutral state....infants don't have to defend their lack of position on issues.
The logical conclusion, then, is that you are indistinguishable from an infant.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 12:26 PM   #136
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yes.
Old 28th August 2021, 01:11 PM   #137
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yes.
That being the case, is it your desire that you be treated as such?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 01:21 PM   #138
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
That being the case, is it your desire that you be treated as such?
I have no opinion on that.
Old 28th August 2021, 01:35 PM   #139
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Four pages of basically the same thing repeated over and over again.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 01:47 PM   #140
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Four pages of basically the same thing repeated over and over again.
well, only one or two were really interested in arguing how one determines what one was owed. I had no follow ups for them.
Old 28th August 2021, 02:25 PM   #141
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I have no opinion on that.
Defend your position. You silly little claim to a non-position is still a position. Why do you hold it? Explain yourself.
Old 28th August 2021, 03:28 PM   #142
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Defend your position. You silly little claim to a non-position is still a position. Why do you hold it? Explain yourself.
there is nothing to defend. I lack evidence and data to enter a judgement. You are asking a judge to defend their verdict on the trial before the trial.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 28th August 2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 28th August 2021, 04:02 PM   #143
theprestige
Suspended

A rabbit hole thread if ever there was one. : shocked :
We should definitely keep bumping it.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 04:07 PM   #144
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

there is nothing to defend. I lack evidence and data to enter a judgement. You are asking a judge to defend their verdict on the trial before the trial.
That's only your problem. Information about the evacuation of Afghans to Western countries is readily available. It's no one's job but your own to inform yourself about the issue. It's not a hard thing to do. Run along and do some reading and then come back.
Old 28th August 2021, 04:30 PM   #145
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Bob, tell me, what is the value in never having skin in a game? Why are you so determined to make sure that you never matter?
Old 28th August 2021, 06:26 PM   #146
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
We should definitely keep bumping it.
It doesn't matter if it gets bumped or not; it's still a rabbit hole because absolutely nothing has progressed from page 1.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th August 2021, 06:55 PM   #147
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

It doesn't matter if it gets bumped or not; it's still a rabbit hole because absolutely nothing has progressed from page 1.
I think some made some good points.
Old 28th August 2021, 07:32 PM   #148
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think some made some good points.
So what?
Old 28th August 2021, 11:20 PM   #149
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

How do you feel about, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” Bob?
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th August 2021, 04:21 AM   #150
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
How do you feel about, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” Bob?
Not something I would categorize as "owe" on first thought.
Old 29th August 2021, 04:26 AM   #151
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Not something I would categorize as "owe" on first thought.
It is not. Just another aesthetic moral stance.

If I bought you a drink in a pub would you feel any inclination to buy me one in return?
Old 29th August 2021, 05:08 AM   #152
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
It is not. Just another aesthetic moral stance.

If I bought you a drink in a pub would you feel any inclination to buy me one in return?
No idea
Old 29th August 2021, 05:09 AM   #153
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

We're also free to challenge you and call you out.
How is research in Afghanistan supposed to answer a question how each individual evaluates a moral question that is ultimately independent of Afghanistan?
Old 29th August 2021, 05:51 AM   #154
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

No idea
I will assume someone has provided you with free goods or service or, colloquially, “done you a favour.” How did you feel on those occasions? Did you observe yourself to exhibit reciprocal behaviour?

You are in a desert and encounter a tortoise on its back, baking in the sun, legs flailing, but it cannot turn over without your help. Why are you not helping, Bob?

Last edited by Sideroxylon; 29th August 2021 at 05:53 AM.
Old 29th August 2021, 06:03 AM   #155
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

How is research in Afghanistan supposed to answer a question how each individual evaluates a moral question that is ultimately independent of Afghanistan?
Then why did you say you lacked data to make a judgement?
Old 29th August 2021, 06:19 AM   #156
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Then why did you say you lacked data to make a judgement?
The data I lack is the details on how each individual evaluates the moral situation.
Old 29th August 2021, 07:29 AM   #157
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The data I lack is the details on how each individual evaluates the moral situation.
Obviously, you don't that data to make your own determination. Just inform yourself and come to a decision. Why make such a production out of something any reasonably well informed person can do on their own?
Old 29th August 2021, 07:38 AM   #158
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously, you don't that data to make your own determination. Just inform yourself and come to a decision. Why make such a production out of something any reasonably well informed person can do on their own?
The purpose isn't for me to know how to value things from my own perspective. The purpose is to know how you and others value things for it's own sake.

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 29th August 2021 at 07:41 AM.
Old 29th August 2021, 09:11 AM   #159
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

The purpose isn't for me to know how to value things from my own perspective. The purpose is to know how you and others value things for it's own sake.
Thereby achieving what? What decision point is that information going to drive you to?
Old 29th August 2021, 09:23 AM   #160
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Thereby achieving what? What decision point is that information going to drive you to?
Absolutely no decision point. This is solely about the entertainment I get from discussion.

Which makes it like almost every other conversation here.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics