IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th August 2021, 02:42 PM   #1
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

Sydney Powell sued by Dominion Voting Systems

Mod InfoThis thread has been split from here.
Posted By:xjx388

That image actually had me thinking I had somehow ended up on some other site instead of an ISF thread.

Also, Powell is an interesting choice for the "just won't quit" claim. She's already "defended" herself by saying her lies couldn't have caused the voting machine company any harm because they were so obviously lies that nobody could have been fooled by them. I would have thought that qualified as "quitting" the fight for Dear Leader.

Last edited by xjx388; 25th August 2021 at 07:56 AM.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 05:02 PM   #2
Lurch
Graduate Poster

The Kraken is trying to be a mouthpiece for all seasons. Fleecing the gullible when facing the rubes, and claiming no one would believe her when facing the music.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 06:00 PM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That anyone is using Powell as an example of anything except delusional or cray cray makes them laughable.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2021, 07:18 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That defense was just something her lawyers said to defend her from the Deep State, not her real view which is visible only to True Patriots!
DEEEEP STAAATE!!
Old 20th August 2021, 07:26 PM   #5
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
That defense was just something her lawyers said to defend her from the Deep State, not her real view which is visible only to True Patriots!
DEEEEP STAAATE!!
Don't disturb my dinner time with this nonsense. I'm dining on fried baby fingers and drinking O- blood.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 03:12 AM   #6
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
That image actually had me thinking I had somehow ended up on some other site instead of an ISF thread.

Also, Powell is an interesting choice for the "just won't quit" claim. She's already "defended" herself by saying her lies couldn't have caused the voting machine company any harm because they were so obviously lies that nobody could have been fooled by them. I would have thought that qualified as "quitting" the fight for Dear Leader.
Stop it. This is not true. Skeptic should not repeat false news. I have addressed this in a number of threads.

Powell did not claim that her statements were not defamatory because they were not believable. Other people have made those claims. That's the Flynt v Falwell argument regarding parody.

Powell did not make that claim or use that argument. Powell has argued that her statement were opinions, not facts. That is very different from the parody claim. She believed what she said was true and expected others to believe it as well.

Not parody or entertainment. But also not a statement of fact. A statement of opinion. An opinion expected to be accepted by her audience.

By her argument, she believed what she said. And she expected other to believe it as well. Her argument is that what she said was opinion, not fact.

I think she will lose on that argument. But the statements that she claims that she said that did not expect to be believed are entirely and completely false.
Old 21st August 2021, 06:48 AM   #7
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Powell did not make that claim or use that argument. Powell has argued that her statement were opinions, not facts. That is very different from the parody claim. She believed what she said was true and expected others to believe it as well.

Not parody or entertainment. But also not a statement of fact. A statement of opinion. An opinion expected to be accepted by her audience.

By her argument, she believed what she said. And she expected other to believe it as well. Her argument is that what she said was opinion, not fact.
So she believed her opinion was a fact but she can't be held accountable because it was just an opinion.

Quite the dodge there.

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor but because we can't satisfy the rich.
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 07:11 AM   #8
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Stop it. This is not true. Skeptic should not repeat false news. I have addressed this in a number of threads.

Powell did not claim that her statements were not defamatory because they were not believable. Other people have made those claims. That's the Flynt v Falwell argument regarding parody.

I think she will lose on that argument. But the statements that she claims that she said that did not expect to be believed are entirely and completely false.
Unsurprisingly, her understanding of libel/slander law is... lacking. Her repeated claims of having evidence - despite having none - should be enough to render any defense moot. I suspect the only defense that could work is mental incompetence.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2021, 05:29 PM   #9
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This is the opinion of a criminal defense lawyer:

Quote:
As she basically argues in defending the defamation lawsuit against her by Dominion Voting Systems: “I just put it out there (as it supported my client’s position). Let the courts decide. That’s what they’re there for.”
Quote:
In some poetic way, Powell has disbarred herself—that is, if the goal of disbarment or any disciplinary action is to protect clients and the judicial system from abuse. Just imagine being the judge who asks her the next time she appears in court for any client: “Ms. Powell, I’ve read your Dominion defamation defense motion. So, that said, do you actually believe what you’re saying to me in this case? Or is it just a factual claim that, you believe, favors your client?” And if she says “Yes, your honor, I do believe it”—given her Dominion defense, how can a judge believe that?
Quote:
Whatever technical arguments or even constitutional defenses to such tortious conduct on Powell’s part—that Dominion is a public figure; that Powell acted without malice; that the challenged statements related to matters of “public concern”; that the statements were constitutionally protected and, thus, not actionable; and that there’s no venue or jurisdiction in D.C. for that lawsuit—Powell has taken her truly sui generis defamation defense to an entirely new level.

She literally claims that, in the context of President Trump’s political battle to “Stop the Steal,” she made these aggressively unsupported comments claiming Dominion engaged in voter fraud against her client, Trump, now arguing “that reasonable people would not accept such statements as fact but view them only as claims that await testing by the courts through the adversary process (emphasis added).” I’m quoting, if you can believe it!

Ironically, to support her defense, Powell literally relies on Dominion’s own view of it. She, thus, argues that even Dominion viewed her comments as “wild accusations,” and “outlandish claims”—that they were “inherently improbable,” even “impossible.” That is, inasmuch as Dominion itself saw her comments to the American electorate as ludicrous, why would anyone else have believed them? The problem with that argument? Simple. Dominion knew that what she was saying about it was false. Dominion, though, wasn’t damaged by what it thought of its product’s integrity, but by what the rest of the world might, or did.
Quote:
Imagine a lawyer communicating, in any context, that “when I say something suggesting that I’m stating a fact, I only mean to communicate that I’m only making a claim that needs testing in the courts.” One must assume that Powell believes that she is herself a “reasonable person”—I expect she does, although I’m now forced to wonder—so that means that she herself didn’t believe herself when speaking to the citizenry. (Fox, parenthetically, must really be wondering how Powell’s admission will impact its separate, $1.6 billion, lawsuit against it by Dominion).
Quote:
Nonetheless, neither the Supreme Court nor any court has said anything suggesting that an attorney may recklessly throw some contention that she herself doesn’t believe up against the wall to see if it might stick, however ridiculous. Stripped away of her verbiage defending the defamation lawsuit, she simply tossed her theories against the wall. Making reckless comments at a cocktail party about the merits of a case a lawyer brings is bad enough. But Powell was representing the President of the United States and dangerously telling America, while the fierce election battle was underway, that the election was stolen—and Dominion was the cause. This, when she herself didn’t believe it.

Had Powell argued, in her own defense, that she actually believed her heat of battle remarks, it might arguably have helped support her claim that she lacked malice. Now, however, she’s essentially admitted malice—i.e., “I made remarks that no reasonable person would have believed.” Neither did she, is the extremely reasonable conclusion!
https://www.law.com/newyorklawjourna...20210721201747
Old 21st August 2021, 09:18 PM   #10
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
This is the opinion of a criminal defense lawyer:
Cohen's understanding of Powell's claims is incorrect. That misunderstanding id understandable because Powell's arguments in her first response to the complaint was rather wishy-washy.

Powell's argument was that nobody would believe that her statements were fact, not that nobody would believe that they were true. Those are different things. Her argument was that her statements would be believed to be opinion or interpretations of fact, which are not actionable in a defamation case.

This gets a bit confusing in her first response because her argument relies heavily on an exception to defamation for cases of rhetorical hyperbole, vague accusations, and exaggeration in the context of public political speech.

A politician can say that another candidate's handling of covid makes that person a murderer or that they don't know anything at all about health care. Whether a person is a murderer or knows anything at all about health care can be proven true or false, but it may still considered opinion within a certain context because it is understood to be an interpretation of known facts or an exaggeration. Powell simple claims that because her statements were related to the election, they were political and therefore qualify for this exemption.

That also gets twisted into other arguments about litigation privilege and that even though the statements were not hyperbole or exaggeration they were understood as statements intended to be proven in court that people could choose to believe or not believe.

Powell did not raise the Hustler Magazine v. Falwell defense used by other right wing news people that their statements are parody or entertainment that would not be believed as true by anyone. To the contrary, Powell has consistently claimed that she believed her statements to be true and that she expected others to agree with her opinion. He statement that nobody would believe her statements to be facts (as opposed to opinions) does not mean she meant that nobody would believe her statements to be true.
Old 21st August 2021, 11:51 PM   #11
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Cohen's understanding of Powell's claims is incorrect. That misunderstanding id understandable because Powell's arguments in her first response to the complaint was rather wishy-washy.

Powell's argument was that nobody would believe that her statements were fact, not that nobody would believe that they were true. Those are different things. Her argument was that her statements would be believed to be opinion or interpretations of fact, which are not actionable in a defamation case.

This gets a bit confusing in her first response because her argument relies heavily on an exception to defamation for cases of rhetorical hyperbole, vague accusations, and exaggeration in the context of public political speech.

A politician can say that another candidate's handling of covid makes that person a murderer or that they don't know anything at all about health care. Whether a person is a murderer or knows anything at all about health care can be proven true or false, but it may still considered opinion within a certain context because it is understood to be an interpretation of known facts or an exaggeration. Powell simple claims that because her statements were related to the election, they were political and therefore qualify for this exemption.

That also gets twisted into other arguments about litigation privilege and that even though the statements were not hyperbole or exaggeration they were understood as statements intended to be proven in court that people could choose to believe or not believe.

Powell did not raise the Hustler Magazine v. Falwell defense used by other right wing news people that their statements are parody or entertainment that would not be believed as true by anyone. To the contrary, Powell has consistently claimed that she believed her statements to be true and that she expected others to agree with her opinion. He statement that nobody would believe her statements to be facts (as opposed to opinions) does not mean she meant that nobody would believe her statements to be true.
I wasn't disagreeing or agreeing with you. I was just presenting what this criminal defense lawyer had to say about it. Not being a lawyer, I don't feel qualified to give an opinion on the legal technicalities of her defense. But I will say this: that lady be cray cray!
Old 24th August 2021, 01:23 PM   #12
plague311
Great minds think...

I wasn't disagreeing or agreeing with you. I was just presenting what this criminal defense lawyer had to say about it. Not being a lawyer, I don't feel qualified to give an opinion on the legal technicalities of her defense. But I will say this: that lady be cray cray!
If it helps, no matter who ends up being correct, your lawyer or DA, Powell is ****** right in the cornhole.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2021, 01:31 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
If it helps, no matter who ends up being correct, your lawyer or DA, Powell is ****** right in the cornhole.
I think so, too. She needs to be disbarred along with some others.
Old 25th August 2021, 04:18 PM   #14
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Release...er....Disbar the Kraken!

OK, not disbarred but sanctioned up the ying-yang!
Old 25th August 2021, 04:37 PM   #15
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think so, too. She needs to be disbarred along with some others.
I agree, but, given her record, why the hell would anybody in their right mind hire her as their attorney?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2021, 05:36 PM   #16
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Release...er....Disbar the Kraken!

OK, not disbarred but sanctioned up the ying-yang!
She and the others may well be disbarred yet according to the judge's order. As of now, they have been ordered to pay all costs related to the lawsuit, get several weeks more legal training, and it has been ordered to "appropriate disciplinary authority for the jurisdiction(s) where each attorney is
admitted, referring the matter for investigation and possible suspension or disbarment

Quote:
OPINION AND ORDER
This lawsuit represents a historic and profound abuse of the judicial process.
It is one thing to take on the charge of vindicating rights associated with an
allegedly fraudulent election. It is another to take on the charge of deceiving a
federal court and the American people into believing that rights were infringed, without regard to whether any laws or rights were in fact violated. This is what happened here.

Individuals may have a right (within certain bounds) to disseminate
allegations of fraud unsupported by law or fact in the public sphere. But attorneys cannot exploit their privilege and access to the judicial process to do the same.
And when an attorney has done so, sanctions are in order.
Quote:
To be clear, for the purpose of the pending sanctions
motions, the Court is neither being asked to decide nor has it decided whether there was fraud in the 2020 presidential election in the State of Michigan.1
Rather, the question before the Court is whether Plaintiffs’ attorneys engaged in litigation practices that are abusive and, in turn, sanctionable. The short answer is yes.
Quote:
And this case was never about fraud—it was about undermining the
People’s faith in our democracy and debasing the judicial process to do so.
Quote:
Lastly, the conduct of Plaintiffs’ counsel, which also constituted violations of the Michigan Rules of Professional Conduct, see, e.g., MRPC 3.1 and 3.3, calls into question their fitness to practice law. This warrants a referral for investigation and possible suspension or disbarment to the appropriate disciplinary authority for every state bar and federal court in which each attorney is admitted
Quote:
IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that the Clerk of the Court shall send a copy of this decision to the Michigan Attorney Grievance Commission and the
appropriate disciplinary authority for the jurisdiction(s) where each attorney is
admitted, referring the matter for investigation and possible suspension or
disbarment: (i) Sidney Powell
- Texas; (ii) L. Lin Wood - Georgia; (iii) Emily Newman - Virginia; (iv) Julia Z. Haller - the District of Columbia, Maryland, New York and New Jersey; (v) Brandon Johnson - the District of Columbia, New York, and Nevada; (vi) Scott Hagerstrom - Michigan; (vii) Howard Kleinhendler - New York and New Jersey; (viii) Gregory Rohl - Michigan; and (iv) Stefanie Lynn Junttila - Michigan.
https://storage.courtlistener.com/re...05.172.0_3.pdf
Old 31st August 2021, 09:04 PM   #17
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Here's a very entertaining interview with Sidney Powell by an Australian journalist, where they apparently don't mess around and go straight to letting her know she's wrong about, er, everything.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Q. "What actual research or fact-checking did you do at the time to find out what Smartmatic's actual involvement in the election was?"

A. "Do you work for Smartmatic?"

Q. "You've made an allegation against Smartmatic that they stole a presidential election. I think it's incumbent on both of us to know what Smartmatic's involvement was. It seems like a pretty foundational fact."

A. "I'm confused right now about why you're here."

Q. "You said that Smartmatic owns Dominion. How do you justify such a basic error?"

A. "I'm going to stop this interview."
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 09:17 PM   #18
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

She never answered anything. Just tried to dodge, then tried to say that an Australian journalist from an Australian broadcaster was somehow an employee of an American voting machine company.

Powell is pathetic, and away with the pixies.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2021, 11:38 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

What a pathetic excuse for a lawyer. I hope her sanction referral ends up in disbarment.

I also watched the 4 Corners interview with Gretchen Carlson. Very interesting. The argument was made earlier by a member that the president doesn't have that much influence on people (or states). Gretchen said something I find interesting when she was talking about 'fake news' and cable news influence: Fox allowed Trump to dictate to them what they reported. As Fox's audience is made up primarily of conservatives, how could that not influence what they believe when it comes to things like Covid, the election, etc?
Old 31st August 2021, 11:45 PM   #20
Susheel
Master Poster

... The argument was made earlier by a member that the president doesn't have that much influence on people (or states). ..
Which he later on went on to contradict by stating that the myth of a powerful President was ingrained into the popular psyche by the Media and PR. I expected him to respond to my comment on how he reconciles the two obviously contradictory stances. Nothing yet.
Old 31st August 2021, 11:46 PM   #21
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Which he later on went on to contradict by stating that the myth of a powerful President was ingrained into the popular psyche by the Media and PR. I expected him to respond to my comment on how he reconciles the two obviously contradictory stances. Nothing yet.
Old 31st August 2021, 11:49 PM   #22
Susheel
Master Poster

Here is where he made it:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=242
Old 1st September 2021, 12:09 AM   #23
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Given that any monetary penalty Powell faces will be paid by the hoards of Trump zombies, disbarrment is indeed the only way to prevent her from continuing to crime.
Old 1st September 2021, 12:12 AM   #24
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Given that any monetary penalty Powell faces will be paid by the hoards of Trump zombies, disbarrment is indeed the only way to prevent her from continuing to crime.
Do you think that will happen? They seem to be the type who will support a winning horse. Even Trump is just clinging on by his fingernails in their psychye...because he manages to convince them that he is actually winning.
Old 1st September 2021, 12:25 AM   #25
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Do you think that will happen? They seem to be the type who will support a winning horse. Even Trump is just clinging on by his fingernails in their psychye...because he manages to convince them that he is actually winning.
You presume that the Trumpers can tell the difference between winning and refusing to admit defeat.

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 1st September 2021 at 12:26 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 12:28 AM   #26
Susheel
Master Poster

You presume that the Trumpers can tell the difference between winning and refusing to admit defeat.
Just saying the penny will drop at some point...sooner in the case of his underlings. I mean even the Ghouliani is having to resort to almost whoring himself out for the equivalent of "three-fiddy".

Last edited by Susheel; 1st September 2021 at 12:30 AM.
Susheel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 12:44 AM   #27
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe she can start a Go Fund Me on FB.
Old 1st September 2021, 12:51 AM   #28
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Here's a very entertaining interview with Sidney Powell by an Australian journalist, where they apparently don't mess around and go straight to letting her know she's wrong about, er, everything.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Q. "What actual research or fact-checking did you do at the time to find out what Smartmatic's actual involvement in the election was?"

A. "Do you work for Smartmatic?"

Q. "You've made an allegation against Smartmatic that they stole a presidential election. I think it's incumbent on both of us to know what Smartmatic's involvement was. It seems like a pretty foundational fact."

A. "I'm confused right now about why you're here."

Q. "You said that Smartmatic owns Dominion. How do you justify such a basic error?"

A. "I'm going to stop this interview."
I’ve just finished watching the 4 Corners episodes. I suspect Fox will try to settle for a couple of billion, small change for them. I hope the voting machine companies don’t take it.

I’m a subscriber to Foxtel, the predominant cable/satellite network in Australia and have been since day one. I won’t stop subscribing because of the content they hold. But I feel more than a bit ill about it.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 12:52 AM   #29
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Just saying the penny will drop at some point...sooner in the case of his underlings. I mean even the Ghouliani is having to resort to almost whoring himself out for the equivalent of "three-fiddy".
Given the ideological vicinity of Trump supporters and evangelicals, I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 1st September 2021, 04:52 AM   #30
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Hey!

Sydney promised to deliver a Kraken and I want my Kraken.

And I do not mean that 'Kraken' booze that is sold in my local liquor store.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 07:00 AM   #31
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

As others have suggested, I am skeptical whether the MAGAchud would actually try to bail out Powell.

After all, Rudy Giuliani is facing some rather significant legal and financial problems, and nobody seems to be eager to help him, and he's probably a much more significant figure in Trumpworld than Powell.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:01 AM   #32
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Hey!

Sydney promised to deliver a Kraken and I want my Kraken.

And I do not mean that 'Kraken' booze that is sold in my local liquor store.
That stuff is actually good.

(If you like rum).
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg KrakenRum.jpeg (33.9 KB, 6 views)
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:32 AM   #33
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
As others have suggested, I am skeptical whether the MAGAchud would actually try to bail out Powell.

After all, Rudy Giuliani is facing some rather significant legal and financial problems, and nobody seems to be eager to help him, and he's probably a much more significant figure in Trumpworld than Powell.
Let's see if there are actually any negative repercussions for either Sydney Powell or Rudy Giuliani.....

Even if they're disbarred, I'm sure there are plenty of lucrative slots in the right wing media and/or stop the steal speaking engagements.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:47 AM   #34
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
That stuff is actually good.

(If you like rum).
Egads!

I was trying to avoid that particular Kraken.

Instead, I (and quite few other people for that matter) were wanting to see the Kraken that Sydney promised to deliver some months ago.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 11:07 AM   #35
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Egads!

Instead, I (and quite few other people for that matter) were wanting to see the Kraken that Sydney promised to deliver some months ago.

It’s one of these:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirula

If you look at it with a strong enough microscope, it’s easily mistaken for a Kraken!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 1st September 2021, 11:28 AM   #36
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

What a pathetic excuse for a lawyer. I hope her sanction referral ends up in disbarment.

I also watched the 4 Corners interview with Gretchen Carlson. Very interesting. The argument was made earlier by a member that the president doesn't have that much influence on people (or states). Gretchen said something I find interesting when she was talking about 'fake news' and cable news influence: Fox allowed Trump to dictate to them what they reported. As Fox's audience is made up primarily of conservatives, how could that not influence what they believe when it comes to things like Covid, the election, etc?
And on top of all that Fox propaganda, all the mainstream news agencies broadcast almost 100% of every Dump speech at his rallies. Dump was and to some extent still is skilled at getting attention. The MSN fell for it hook line and sinker in the run up to the 2016 election. It wasn't until near the end anchors started recognizing they were being manipulated.

Not that they minded given it increased their audience and bottom line. But there came a point when the never-dumpers began to have more influence. Now at least the news (Fox is not news) uses the adjective clause, "the big lie", whenever they refer to the big 'election was stolen' lie and they haven't yet broadcast a full rally speech. But they still report on everything Dump says.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2021, 08:40 PM   #37
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Oh. Oh.

Trump Campaign Knew Lawyers’ Voting Machine Claims Were Baseless, Memo Shows

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/21/u...on-voting.html

Quote:
Days before lawyers allied with Donald Trump gave a news conference promoting election conspiracy theories, his campaign had determined that many of those claims were false, court filings reveal.
Liars gotta lie.
Old 24th September 2021, 01:15 AM   #38
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Egads!

Sidney.

Here in the capital city of New South Wales, we want absolutely nothing to do with this insane crackpot scheme about trying to put Darth Porridge Brain back into the White House.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2021, 01:49 AM   #39
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Sidney.

Here in the capital city of New South Wales, we want absolutely nothing to do with this insane crackpot scheme about trying to put Darth Porridge Brain back into the White House.
I've only known of two women named Sidney/Sydney as it's usually a man's name. The other one was Sydney Penny whom I taught when she was in 6th grade years ago. She played the young Meg Cleary in the TV miniseries The Thorn Birds and was in the Clint Eastwood movie Pale Rider.She had just finished filming The Thorn Birds when I had her as a student.
Old 24th September 2021, 01:26 PM   #40
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I've only known of two women named Sidney/Sydney as it's usually a man's name. The other one was Sydney Penny whom I taught when she was in 6th grade years ago. She played the young Meg Cleary in the TV miniseries The Thorn Birds and was in the Clint Eastwood movie Pale Rider.She had just finished filming The Thorn Birds when I had her as a student.
Sydney is far more often a man's name, but it is name for females. If you look up name matches for Sidney on IMDB about 20 percent are female.

Interesting though Sidney spelled with an "i" shows the name to be almost the inverse ratio. It is far more often a name for females.

PS. Annette Benning played Sydney Ellen Wade in The American President.

Last edited by acbytesla; 24th September 2021 at 01:28 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics