IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st September 2021, 03:19 PM   #361
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Who implied this?
It could be that I did. I think, as I've repeatedly said, that the initial question as posed (and the spuriously inflammatory thread title as well) is ridiculous and not really answerable as a question because it requires a couple of established bits of reality to evaporate, the world we've lived in to be suddenly revealed as a bad dream.

A world in which Covid suddenly vanishes is a fantasy, and the suggestion that this would somehow untrump Trump is also. The fact is that Covid occurred and that the administration mishandled it tremendously.

One might have posed the question better. In an alternate universe in which there was no Covid to start with, I would still have gone against Trump because I would still consider him a pernicious idiot whose other misdeeds and lasting insults to democracy are bad enough with or without Covid. We are paying now for some of them in the incipient rush to do away with the right to abortion, and in the undermining of voting rights based on his incessant and outright insane lying, and in the continuing anti-science bias of those who deny global warming.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 03:24 PM   #362
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I once borrowed a 5'8" split tail for the weekend from a buddy. Rode that fishy thing hard. Super fast but hard to control.

We are talking about surfboards, yes?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 03:26 PM   #363
sackett
Philosopher

I am very sorry that I did not answer the question. I know that it is too late now.

I am a bad boy. I need to be DISCIPLINED. Perhaps Warp12 knows a nice big STRAPPING lady who would, for a con$ideration, TEACH ME A LESSON and ENFORCE THE RULES so that I won't do it again.

For a while.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 03:41 PM   #364
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
This thread turned out to be a great example of how going completely OT is apparently OK... sometimes.

Oh not even close.

With Shanek in the discussion we would now discuss the various advantages
and disadvantages of intra-packet latency of using DHCP over Starlink verses
DCCP on Verizon FIOS right about now.

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Again, the OP question is, "How much do you really hate Trump?
Would you trade another term of him for no COVID?"

As a mathematical realist, I simply cannot conceive of a stable universe with such properties.
Old 1st September 2021, 03:41 PM   #365
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

So, you are saying he essentially snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, then. In our current Covid world, that is.

People seem to forget that he still managed to get 74 million votes, even with how he screwed the pooch with Covid. That is why I am surprised that some just scoff at the idea of his chances of victory, and don't want to directly address the scenario I proposed.
It's like you didn't read my post at all.

You said Trump was on his way to certain victory. There was nothing certain or even probable about it. Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million in 2016. Accept for about 100K in votes in specific states he would never have won.

I didn't scoff at the possibility he could have won another electoral victory only that he was headed towards a second unpopular victory.

I also said that if Trump had handled COVID well, it may have carried him to an another electoral victory. But if is a contradiction to fact. We'll never know about a historical hypothetical that has a lot of factors stacked against it..
Old 1st September 2021, 03:46 PM   #366
Matthew Best
Philosopher

My question is, as a Democrat, what do you think of the trade off? Which would you choose, the current Covid death toll (and a Dem in charge), or a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling?
But I don't think you are a Democrat.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 03:47 PM   #367
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 03:49 PM   #368
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It's like you didn't read my post at all.

You said Trump was on his way to certain victory. There was nothing certain or even probable about it. Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million in 2016. Accept for about 100K in votes in specific states he would never have won.

I didn't scoff at the possibility he could have won another electoral victory only that he was headed towards a second unpopular victory.

I also said that if Trump had handled COVID well, it may have carried him to an another electoral victory. But if is a contradiction to fact. We'll never know about a historical hypothetical that has a lot of factors stacked against it..
I said I believed he was "well on his way" to victory. I didn't jump up and down saying there was no other possibility, just that I felt that was the way the wind was blowing. This was based on the economy and his incumbent status.

Quote:
I do however believe that COVID presented Trump an opportunity to easily win reelection.
You said that Covid was a great opportunity, that could have cemented his win. So, yeah, I did read what you said. I'm really not sure what the dispute is, here.
Old 1st September 2021, 03:57 PM   #369
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I think it is pretty clear that I am not. Sorry if my wording was imprecise. Good catch.
Old 1st September 2021, 04:27 PM   #370
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I said I believed he was "well on his way" to victory. I didn't jump up and down saying there was no other possibility, just that I felt that was the way the wind was blowing. This was based on the economy and his incumbent status.
Except this was false. He wasn't "well on his way." Not even close. His only advantage was his incumbency and there is little doubt that if Trump had won reelection he still would have lost the popular vote.

You said that Covid was a great opportunity, that could have cemented his win. So, yeah, I did read what you said. I'm really not sure what the dispute is, here.
Still your comprehension leaves a lot to be desired.

You said that I said, Trump essentially snatched defeat from the jaws of victory,

But I never said that. I said that Trump ensured his defeat by his response to COVID.

The difference is huge.

Last edited by acbytesla; 1st September 2021 at 04:28 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 04:32 PM   #371
Warp12
Graduate Poster

I do however believe that COVID presented Trump an opportunity to easily win reelection.

You said that I said, Trump essentially snatched defeat from the jaws of victory,

But I never said that. I said that Trump ensured his defeat by his response to COVID.
Work it out amongst yourselves. I'm moving on.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2021 at 04:34 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 04:50 PM   #372
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Congrats. You're certainly taking after Trump there.

That Trump had an opportunity to win because of COVID and that he would have won if not for COVID are distinctly different.

Last edited by acbytesla; 1st September 2021 at 04:53 PM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 05:28 PM   #373
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Brave, brave sir Robin.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 05:31 PM   #374
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Brave, brave sir Robin.
If people can't be bothered to read their own posts, much less the responses that they reference, I am not wasting my time dealing with such issues.

But, thanks for your input.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2021 at 05:33 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 05:44 PM   #375
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

If people can't be bothered to read their own posts, much less the responses that they reference, I am not wasting my time dealing with such issues.

I can read my own posts. You're the one with a reading problem.

Run away brave Sir Robin.

Last edited by acbytesla; 1st September 2021 at 05:45 PM.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:05 PM   #376
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Your cowardice is only outshined by your inability to comprehend.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 06:06 PM   #377
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

You are decidedly wrong about the interpretation. Like, ludicrously wrong.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 06:13 PM   #378
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
You are decidedly wrong about the interpretation. Like, ludicrously wrong.
This is a classic example of when someone doesn't exercise due diligence prior to giving an opinion, but instead parrots another.

But, I appreciate your input. Did you answer the original question posed? I can't recall. If not, why?
Old 1st September 2021, 06:17 PM   #379
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Here is another reminder, for those who are confused or drifting, of the topic:

This board obviously has a tremendous liberal slant.

I believe that Trump was well on his way to a second term, prior to Covid. That seemed to be the way the wind was blowing, despite 3 years of witch-hunting by butt-hurt Dems. The gamechanger was Covid, which openly exposed Trump as the idiot that he is.

My question is, to Democrats, what do you think of the trade off? Which would you choose, the current Covid death toll (and a Dem in charge), or a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling?
I made a slight edit, in order to clarify that I am not claiming to be a Democrat. This was a point of confusion for some, it seems.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2021 at 06:18 PM.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:17 PM   #380
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

This is a classic example of when someone doesn't exercise due diligence prior to giving an opinion, but instead parrots another.

But, I appreciate your input. Did you answer the original question posed? I can't recall. If not, why?
Just because you have a reading comprehension issue don't assume that others do.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:20 PM   #381
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Giving yourself a thumbsup?

If that isn't Trump like I don't know what is.

Be careful there Warp. If you patted yourself on the back any harder it might leave bruises.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:23 PM   #382
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I believe that Trump was well on his way to a second term, prior to Covid. That seemed to be the way the wind was blowing, despite 3 years of witch-hunting by butt-hurt Dems. The gamechanger was Covid, which openly exposed Trump as the idiot that he is.

My question is, as a Democrat, what do you think of the trade off? Which would you choose, the current Covid death toll (and a Dem in charge), or a country without the virus, and Trump still ruling?

I made a slight edit, in order to clarify that I am not claiming to be a Democrat. This was a point of confusion for some, it seems.

Matthew Best's post was sarcasm. You know, that concept you accuse others of not getting.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 06:26 PM   #383
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Matthew Best's post was sarcasm. You know, that concept you accuse others of not getting.
Hey, let's not jump to conclusions, here. It may not be sarcasm; it's always impossible to tell. I'm learning from my peers. Uncharted ground, for me.

I mean, even if he claims it to be sarcasm, it must be questioned.

Last edited by Warp12; 1st September 2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:32 PM   #384
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, let's not jump to conclusions, here. It may not be sarcasm; it's always impossible to tell. I'm learning from my peers. Uncharted ground, for me.

I mean, even if he claims it to be sarcasm, it must be questioned.
Not really. He never claimed it was 'funny/humorous' first.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:40 PM   #385
Warp12
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Not really. He never claimed it was 'funny/humorous' first.
He never claimed anything. But you somehow detected it to be sarcasm. Funny how these things work.

And, for the record, I do find sarcasm to be very humorous. But you are already well-aware of that.
Old 1st September 2021, 06:58 PM   #386
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He never claimed anything. But you somehow detected it to be sarcasm. Funny how these things work.

And, for the record, I do find sarcasm to be very humorous. But you are already well-aware of that.
I inferred it from his numerous previous posts which give a damn good clue as to his intent. Just as your previous posts did and do. And that includes your penchant for using terms referring to genitalia.
Old 1st September 2021, 08:53 PM   #387
kevbo
Thinker

I kind of wish you hadn't wasted everyone's time with your horribly worded, and ridiculous, hypothetical to begin with. In your effort to bait others, you continue to swallow bait, as well as hook, from nearly everyone here who has given up on a meaningful discussion with you. Please, try to demonstrate a little self reflection. It might do you some good, as well as improve the discussion for all involved. Just sayin'.

Last edited by kevbo; 1st September 2021 at 08:55 PM.
kevbo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:07 PM   #388
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
I kind of wish you hadn't wasted everyone's time with your horribly worded, and ridiculous, hypothetical to begin with. In your effort to bait others, you continue to swallow bait, as well as hook, from nearly everyone here who has given up on a meaningful discussion with you. Please, try to demonstrate a little self reflection. It might do you some good, as well as improve the discussion for all involved. Just sayin'.
That would distract from his plan of "owning the libs," wouldn't it?
Old 1st September 2021, 10:23 PM   #389
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

As someone who is not a conservative, I must therefore be "a lib" and need to be "pwned". As someone who is not even American, I must therefore be "a lib" and need to be "pwned". Wha...?

This is truly weird. My political views range from conservative on some subjects to fairly "socialist" on others. But I don't recall ever signing up to be "a lib" at any time as a result. Of course, being "a lib" in this country has an entirely different meaning. Namely, that you are a member of the ruling conservative party with a capital "L" Liberal. Who, by the way, are roughly the equivalent of the US Democrats in the political spectrum. And we think they're pretty stodgy block-headed conservatives!

So is there a "Lib!" magazine I get regularly? A membership card with discounts at certain liquor shops? Also, this "pwning" is like being whipped with a soggy lettuce leaf - both ineffectual and rather silly.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 1st September 2021 at 10:25 PM.
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:38 PM   #390
Susheel
Master Poster

You didn't get the decoder ring? How about your monthly Soros check? If you haven't, fill out form 42 CQ, along with your bank account details, pin number, social security number, mothers maiden name and 5 passport size photographs and submit it to Bill Gates NWO HQ. Someone will come to take a 3D scan of your fingerprints and a blood sample (for ritual purposes only). Only then do you get to be a bonafide Lib.
Old 1st September 2021, 10:40 PM   #391
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
You didn't get the decoder ring? How about your monthly Soros check? If you haven't, fill out form 42 CQ, along with your bank account details, pin number, social security number, mothers maiden name and 5 passport size photographs and submit it to Bill Gates NWO HQ. Someone will come to take a 3D scan of your fingerprints and a blood sample (for ritual purposes only). Only then do you get to be a bonafide Lib.
So I ate all those babies for nothing??!

Thanks a lot.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:49 PM   #392
Susheel
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

Thanks a lot.
Should have read the pamphlets thorughly. Now, who looks stupid.
Old 1st September 2021, 10:56 PM   #393
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Your anger and frustration feed my soul.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2021, 10:57 PM   #394
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks a lot.
They're still good for you. Baby is the other white meat.
Old 1st September 2021, 11:05 PM   #395
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Susheel View Post
Should have read the pamphlets thorughly. Now, who looks stupid.
Mutter mutter...

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
They're still good for you. Baby is the other white meat.
But I would have used a decent peppercorn sauce.
Old 1st September 2021, 11:29 PM   #396
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Mutter mutter...

But I would have used a decent peppercorn sauce.
You lose a lot of the health benefits when you add the heavy sauces.
Old 1st September 2021, 11:30 PM   #397
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

democrats?

So, you are saying he essentially snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, then. In our current Covid world, that is.

People seem to forget that he still managed to get 74 million votes, even with how he screwed the pooch with Covid. That is why I am surprised that some just scoff at the idea of his chances of victory, and don't want to directly address the scenario I proposed.
You sound just like Clownstick, " i got 74 million votes,", yes and you lost, but still remain the winner for being the smartest Windmill causes Cancer president ever - maybe he took to much hydroxy stuff. Oh, he is also the Taliban deal maker, and helped release them.

He, aka Clownstick, claims the election was rigged, so how did he really get 74 million votes. Irony!!! He was a minority president, lost by millions of votes the first time, and remains a minority president lost by many millions more the when he lost. He was and alway will be a hater and loser, as he clearly was projecting, as he called others the same hundreds of times.

Clownstick? "This board obviously has a tremendous liberal slant." Not exactly, it has a Tremendous anti-stupid slant.

Clownstick said Covid would go away, even Pence repeated the lies freely... the most prolific liar in history, Clownstick... Thousands of lies, and you think he could win if not for Covid...

Think of the Millions who did not vote in 16, who showed up in 20, to defeat the dolt, misogynistic, bigot, et al...

Guess you missed the Democrats who after Clownstick lost the pop vote but was elected, missed Bush. Now that is something to energize the vote.

Covid, yes, it was a problem for Clownstick's reelection, but it is more of a rubbing his nose in his mess.

Clownstick, the insurrection leader... what a legacy, and Mexico will pay for the wall... the ladder proof, tunnel proof, saw proof, airplane proof, Wall... what dolt he was.

The 74 million votes, is Clownstick talking point, as he lies about the election, the Big Lie - why does he court the neoNazi/white nationalist vote?

lol, he was twice impeached... and his buddies had to be pardoned - Gen Flynn is a Q-Nut, Clownstick is defined as an Idiot.

Google it... https://www.google.com/search?q=idio...w=1536&bih=754

I guess Clownstick is the president for the minority, those who want to be grabbed becaue they are just that -

This post alone is an example of how immersed the post is in a Clownstick Maga psychosis. And don't forget, Mexico will pay for the wall, and Covid will be gone... and I will not play golf, I will be working... lol, what a dolt he is

Remember, he lost, but won due to a delusion he spread to the weak minded maga lemmings

The sad part of Clownstick, he lied, and a subset of his followers believe. He rebuilt the Military lie, do Clownstick lemmings look up the facts, to see the actual budget, no, and remain clueless. Why do you believe his lies...

What about Independants, the most voters be they...

It is funny, the Clownstick talking point, "managed to get 74 million votes"... Are you SF fan, they "managed to get 31 points", vs Baltimore 34 points... SF lost, but "managed to get 31 points...

people forget he lost? nope, he lost, and is a sore loser, a sore hater and loser -he loved to project, hater and loser -

Did you inject the bleach yet, and how are you protecting yourself from Windmill Cancer? Remember, he did not play golf... he did not play golf, repeat his failed promise

Someone had it right, and later joined the 'race-baiter' when he must of believed the bigots, neoNazis, and white supremist would vote GOP
Graham: Trump a 'race-baiting, xenophobic religious ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bkDykGhM8c

don't forget, wheels are older than walls, because the cult leader says so, so it goes with the catechism of Clownstick, plus "“Technology is no good without the wall,”"

You are a democrat? Your question is, as a democrat? How can you choose no covid, when we have covid? With the current anti-vaxxer maga crowd, it will be less anti-vaxxer maga crowd. Was it great, maga great, when there were two lines at DMV in Georgia in 1957?

The country is not without the virus which Clownstick said would be gone over a year ago. oops, a lie, he loves to lie, and his followers love it.

Wow, they found a lot of Witches... Clownstick Jr was too dumb to know the laws, so they did not charge him.

You sound kind of, what did you call it, "butt-hurt", as the Atlantic put it...
Quote:
Mueller has charged more than 30 people so far in his investigation into the 2016 election. That’s many more indictments than other presidential scandals have yielded in the same amount of time. Eight men have pleaded guilty. Trump’s claims of persecution ring increasingly hollow with each indictment; as David Graham wrote for this magazine last year: “If this is a witch hunt, Mueller has uncovered a whole coven.”
No covid sounds like Mexico is paying for the wall will come true.

Butt-Hurt, that is Clownstick spreading lies about the election, and sending his maga dolts to raid the Capitol. Clownstick did bribe a country to find dirt on Biden, that was weird, and his GOP lemmings let him off the hook, and the same with his sending his dolts to end democracy. Twice impeached, and guilty both times.

Why is Butt-hurt a maga talking point against others, is it projection like Clownstick does with "hater and losers"?

Critical thinking skills, striving for critical thinking skills, is not a 'tremendous liberal slant'. Maybe someone is BH Clownstick is exposed as an idiot, and it takes no effort to expose that fact.

Clownstick never got more than 46.1-46.9 percent of the vote in both elections, thus, 'managed to get 74 million BS' remains the talking point of butt-hurt maga
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:32 AM   #398
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, now...the makers of AquaNet level 5 and No Sun Tan (Pumpkin Spice) loooooooooove Donnie!
Old 2nd September 2021, 01:06 AM   #399
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It would have been unpatriotic to have at your hands Trumps manifest failures in handling COVID-19 and not use them to remove him from office. From 2016 to 2020, subverting Trump, hurting Trump, was the definition of patriotism. He had to be removed from office. The ends justify the means.
Old 2nd September 2021, 06:10 AM   #400
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

No, you are painfully, obviously objectively wrong.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics